New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default TOKKEN'S and no I have not spelt it wrong.

I was looking over my many DND websites and came across a review for TOKKENS. Now for people that have not heard of them they are cards with magic items on them to hand out to your pc's when they get a magic item. So if some one picks up a potion you can hand them the card and there you go. It is made of metal and has the descriptions on the back.

Now I was thinking yes they are nice to look at and I can see the novilty value, but apart from that what are they for and do you think they are really worth our valuable pennys?????

In my eyes I would rather buy a new book but was looking fo rother peoples views.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: TOKKEN'S and no I have not spelt it wrong.

For potions? meh not that useful, but it would be a good way of keeping track, especially if they are new or unique or otherwise special magic items. if they are just standard DMG magic items, not interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    "Hands in, lets-all-be-heroes on three."

After a long break, I am back and forget who was nice enough to create the zombie ninja avatar for me. If you did it, or know who did, PM me so I can give proper credit.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

*Ahem*

No, I have never heard of Tokkens. Yes, I appreciate the worth of the concept. Nothing quite like a hand of playing cards to make one's more important kit more easily referable in play.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, it's a fun idea, but I wouldn't be inclined to waste my money on it. I think it's even below Floor Tiles on my list of 'things I will buy for RPGs'.

Reminds me of Heroquest and Key to the Kingdom, both of which featured Equipment Cards (though Heroquest did a much better job).
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-07-31 at 12:04 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Indeed. Paizo's item cards are excellet.
    Last edited by Bosaxon; 2007-07-31 at 12:23 PM.

Along came a man by the name of Charlie Mops,
    and he invented a wonderful drink and he made it out of hops.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

i'll add it to the list of many gaming items i will aquire for my collection when i am rich. Until then i'm going to have to pass
    ::: my eternal gratitude to Nathan for the incredibly sweet werewolf avatar:::

"No dude, it's true, halflings are real i saw it on Oprah"
    said in all seriousness by my friend Robert Bloom to a chorus of laughter

"Oh, little ice cream friends! thog delays boredom-driven rampage only for you!"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I certainly wouldn't buy something like that, but I've considered making my own on index cards. I was thinking of doing a game that strictly enforced material components as a way to limit magic. Rather than burden the players with extraneous bookkeeping the plan was to make cards for the most common components and list the spells that required them right on the card. I'd probably have to consolidate some materials but I also wouldn't want to end up with each card having 400 spells listed on it. Oh well, that's a rant for another thread.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yes, you did spell TOKKENs wrong because an apostrophe means that it is possessive.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Our DM got a few of them as freebies somewhere. We tried them out for a session or two, but they didn't really add much to gameplay.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

I never saw them before, but there is no way i would spend money on them.

They could be good for inventory for players, make up some index cards with weapons, gear etc.

would be great for magical weapons, could have all the stats on them written in a large space and not on the tiny amount given on the standard character sheet.
    I hate your guts so much that my hate manifests as a tangible object, about the size of a peach. I can see it in my peripheral vision if I squint and the light is right. It follows me around. It shoots electro-bolts into my eyes. It calls itself Leslie. Leslie says she graduated from Rutgers but i havn't verified her claim. Do I make myself clear?
    -Goats

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

I own a set, as they were a gift at Origins. They're...Ok, but not anything I'd purchase.