New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Magic/Psionic Equivalents: Lets match them up!

Ok, I'd started something like this this quite some time ago and can't find it again for the life of me.

Anyways, I keep hearing folks saying that there is no difference in magic and psionics except for flavor, that what you can do with one you can do with the other. Well, as one who has at many times had to find magical equivalents for psionic beings, I say thats a bunch of hooey. While many are similar or downright the same thing, a great deal have no real equivalent that I can find.

Lets test this however and begin to match up powers. Lets begin with the A's.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

A's
    Adapt Body / Endure Elements (SD)
    Affinity Field
    Anchored Navigation
    Animal Affinity / Bear’s Endurance, Bull’s Strength, Cat's Grace, Eagle’s Splendor, Fox’s Cunning, Owl’s Wisdom
    Apopsi
    Assimilate
    Astral Caravan
    Astral Construct
    Astral Seed / Clone (SD)
    Astral Traveler
    Attraction
    Aura Alteration
    Aura Sight
    Aversion

(SD) = Slight Difference. This means the powers do the basic same thing, but one does more or less than the other in addition.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-07-31 at 10:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Magic/Psionic Equivalents: Lets match them up!

What again? Didn't we beat this horse to death a couple weeks ago?

To re-cap, it's not that we can't find psionic versions of magic spells, it's the other way around.

The topic comes up when peeople ask if current psionics are overpowered. The defenders then come out to detail how magic can do what psionic does since in the current system Psionics is bassically just another school of magic in some cases.

Many psionic powers have a magic spell that can do the same thing. Though not vice versa. There are books worth of spells which don't have a psionic equivalent power.
    Last edited by Damionte; 2007-07-31 at 10:35 PM.
    Custom Avatar By: "The Chilli God"
    My Games:
    None Current

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Default Re: Magic/Psionic Equivalents: Lets match them up!

Thats all fine and good, but the point of this is to show that there are in fact psionic powers that are not yet copied by magic. That there is actually 'some' difference.

I've tried to convert psionic creatures I've made into magic for those who like the creature but not psionics. Its quite difficult in many cases.