New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Flat world, or round?

So, as a tabletop player, which do you prefer? A flat world, with an edge (like Pirates of the carribean) or a round world? And why?
    "A necromancer is just a really late healer."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Flat world, or round?

Round, in case my players attempt to dig to the center if the Earth. It's a more common occurrence than you would think.
    Me: I gather the corpses of the orcs!
    DM: And give them a proper funeral?
    Me: No silly, I gather then up and glue them together into a statue of me!
    DM: But how- Why- You're playing an animated table! You can't gather things! You lack arms!
    Other player: That's your problem with that statement?
    I do a D&D Campaign Comic for Sword Art Online now, check it out here.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Spherical world, I tend to prefer science fiction which means a spherical world is assumed. It also means that even in a fantasy setting I can assume that you can hide from 'infinite range' effects by just being far enough away (as most magical effects work with a direct line they can be assumed not to curve with the planet, although few fantasy games happen at the scales where this would be noticeable).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Round, because making a flat world would probably be more work then is worth it. A flat world might be interesting, but if it is basically people saying that the world is flat with no changes it didn't exactly add to the setting, did it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

My setting is a flat-world. And the number of changes I had to make to make it work makes new players(new the the setting) brain melt. e.g. the sun moves in a circle in the sky and just pops in and out instead of rising/setting.
    Your friendly neighbourhood sniperman.
    My controversial opinions:
    • I like blue souls.
    • Alignment isn't terrible.

My Homebrew: Feng Shui; Magic in Zones, Plus others I'm not particularly proud of rn.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

The trouble with a flat world is that you have to make all sorts of other changes to the known laws of physics, astronomy, thermodynamics etc. to allow it to exist. And unless you're very well versed in these things, there's a good chance that sooner or later one of your players is going to start asking questions you can't answer.

Just go with round. It's much easier.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

7. - Top - End - #7

Zombie

We've been working on making a relatively flat world in the World Building sub-forum if anyone is interested.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Freed View Post
    Round, in case my players attempt to dig to the center if the Earth. It's a more common occurrence than you would think.
    Just tell them it's turtles all the way down.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Technically there are a lot of turtles, but each of them carries a different world on it as it swims through space. On the backs of the turtles, there are elephants; four is the usual number of pachyderms, but there can be more or fewer depending on the size. The elephants hold up the world, which is a flat-ish disc. Sometimes a turtle sized for four elephants will have a fifth, which often slips off the turtle's back and orbits 'round to impact as a gigantic meteor, leaving deposits of fats and BCBs (burnt crunchy bits) deep underground.

Occasionally on one of these "disc-worlds" you'll get Wizards, who may end up creating round worlds through magical experiments.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-05-03 at 09:52 PM.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Toroidal worlds are the best.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Round, of course. Even when I ran a game in which the earth was the center of the universe, and the seven planets (including the sun and the moon) revolved around the earth, it was round. Otherwise I'd have to work out a whole new approach to eclipses, and it's not worth it. [Eclipses are one of the reasons that all educated people knew that the world was round, very early in history - because we've seen its shadow.]

12. - Top - End - #12

Very good scientific points for the round world, but I don't see it as needful for your world to have a scientific basis. Surely it helps, but with a round world you don't have Pirates of the Carribean, at worlds end!

Or Terry Pratchett's discworld! Which some here have referenced.
    Last edited by TheManicMonocle; 2017-05-03 at 09:49 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

We couldn't decide, so my group's setting is technically both. From a terrestrial perspective, it's a sphere and floats through space with other planets same as ours. From a planar/conceptual one it's a giant disc encased within an impossibly huge magic dyson sphere

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I might have done a flat world setting at some point, but they're ridiculously outnumbered by round world settings - there's the various sci-fi and space opera games alone (where flat worlds don't fit), and then there's how I tend not to find alternative world shapes that interesting*. With that said, I also have a fondness for small archipelagos where it doesn't really matter, outside of implications a flat world has on horizon distance.

*Flat worlds, worlds on the bodies of two titans that aren't either flat or round, toroids and spindles, hollow worlds where people are on the inside face, whatever.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheManicMonocle View Post
    but with a round world you don't have Pirates of the Carribean, at worlds end!
    Make sure nobody asks you how you navigate, because our latitude longitude system and the ways we use to determine those only work because the world is round. For a pirate campaign I would generally go with round.

That, or come up with a new system that would work there. A close enough sun could help.

For most non primarily ocean going games it's not really important. Maybe make the world a donut? Or a cube?

Edit: Oh, one other thing. The round earth is the reason we have a horizon. Either be prepared for that question, or use it to weird your players out and try to give them a world without one. (So stuff becomes invisible by being too small to be seen, eventually, not by being behind the earth. Binoculars are pretty cool on a flat world.)
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2017-05-04 at 12:31 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Flat to avoid projection issues.

And so constant reminders that it curves around aren't necessary, and things really as far from each other as they look
    Last edited by Grizl' Bjorn; 2017-05-04 at 12:27 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

So, as a tabletop player, which do you prefer? A flat world, with an edge (like Pirates of the carribean) or a round world? And why?
    Round. Anything else is giving Washington Irving and his poisoning of the American mind, which later poisoned global popular culture with the flat world myth, too much credit.

Form a pure game-technical perspective, there are way too many details that are counterintuitive to our own experiences to keep in mind in a flat world campaign, so I don't see much point in it unless going for deliberate silliness where all the mistakes made by the GM and players regarding how the world they are playing in works can easily be handwaved away, such as a Discworld setting.

EDIT: Of course, if players are stuck in dungeons most of the time it doesn't matter much. Unless they get really caught up in delving deeper.
    Last edited by Deliverance; 2017-05-04 at 03:34 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    While I totes adorb your reference, I can't help but feel this is self-defeating.

The moment you explain to a party that the world is flat, they'll crawl around it, make mounts of the elephants*, and start murdering their way down through an infinite amount of turtles.

Edit: *Which might just be the best use of Handle Animal ever.

Edit 2: Can you just imagine a Space Jammer's response to this? "This better be good Navigator. I wanted to be landed and unloading our gear an hour ago. Let me just see what the hol-ly Tymora! Ef this. Set sail for Krynn. Even Kender are less crazy then that thing."
    Last edited by Dappershire; 2017-05-04 at 03:53 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll throw my hat in with the toroidal or spirallic (Or rather helicoid, or maybe a proper helix, I suppose) crowds. Best world types and easier to make sense of than flat.
    Last edited by weckar; 2017-05-04 at 06:04 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Surely it helps, but with a round world you don't have Pirates of the Carribean, at worlds end!
    Good, couldn't wrap my head around that film anyway.

Although in that the 'falling off the edge of the world' thing seemed to be magical rather than physical, and this is a world where the world was circumnavigated (it's supposed to be 'our world, but with a touch of magic'). Really the shape of the world didn't matter to the writers as much as telling a good confusing story.

Or Terry Pratchett's discworld! Which some here have referenced.
    Really, if I wanted to run a Discworld inspired campaign I'd either use the Disc itself, or more likely set it in an Ankh-Morpork style city on a roundworld. As far as I'm concerned the flat works is only there to serve the joke, and while I love Discworld the hands I'd run in the setting don't need a flat planet.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Depends on tone. Flat, or even just "assumed-to-be-flat" worlds can feel persuasively mythic. There's something about the ocean falling off of the edge of the world into the shining void that captures the imagination. When the world itself is unreal and magical, we can believe that everything else should be.

Round worlds, on the other hand, feel more real, require less handwavium, and often feel ... bigger, I guess? There's a vastness and believability to seeing the curve of the world on a map and knowing there are people and cultures and lands and wonders unseen, that will never be seen, a feeling of grandiosity and strangeness far grander and stranger than just "here be dragons."

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Spherical world, I tend to prefer science fiction which means a spherical world is assumed. It also means that even in a fantasy setting I can assume that you can hide from 'infinite range' effects by just being far enough away (as most magical effects work with a direct line they can be assumed not to curve with the planet, although few fantasy games happen at the scales where this would be noticeable).
    What, you mean you don't simulate the effects of the planet's gravity and rotation on line effects? For shame.

but with a round world you don't have Pirates of the Carribean, at worlds end!
    So what you're really saying is, "avoid flat worlds, or you might accidentally end up with PoC: At World's End."
    Last edited by gkathellar; 2017-05-04 at 06:50 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

There's also some weirder ones in Planescape.

Giant geometric shapes crashing together and drifting apart, mountains rising from an infinite sea, a toroidal city floating at the top(?!) of an infinitely(?!)-tall pillar of stone, two flat worlds (of infinite size) floating atop one another so that if you look straight up you're looking straight down at the ground of the other world, concentric hollow prison-worlds, a world made of tunnels in stone through which strange maddening winds howl constantly, a world of infinite sky in all directions with the occasional floating island, a world where instead of air and sky there is only the stuff of magic and cities can be built on the corpses of dead gods or broken pieces of other worlds that have drifted in, a world made of raw primordial chaos that constantly shifts and changes (the few bits of it that are even remotely stable to start with, anyway), a world made of endless gigantic clockwork gears and coils and mechanisms...
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-05-04 at 06:58 AM.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post

Giant geometric shapes crashing together and drifting apart, mountains rising from an infinite sea, a toroidal city floating at the top(?!) of an infinitely(?!)-tall pillar of stone, two flat worlds (of infinite size) floating atop one another so that if you look straight up you're looking straight down at the ground of the other world, concentric hollow prison-worlds, a world made of tunnels in stone through which strange maddening winds howl constantly, a world of infinite sky in all directions with the occasional floating island, a world where instead of air and sky there is only the stuff of magic and cities can be built on the corpses of dead gods or broken pieces of other worlds that have drifted in, a world made of raw primordial chaos that constantly shifts and changes (the few bits of it that are even remotely stable to start with, anyway), a world made of endless gigantic clockwork gears and coils and mechanisms...
    And those are just the touristy ones!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    And those are just the touristy ones!
    Been there, done that, all I got was this tunic.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dappershire View Post
    While I totes adorb your reference, I can't help but feel this is self-defeating.

The moment you explain to a party that the world is flat, they'll crawl around it, make mounts of the elephants*, and start murdering their way down through an infinite amount of turtles.

Edit: *Which might just be the best use of Handle Animal ever.

Edit 2: Can you just imagine a Space Jammer's response to this? "This better be good Navigator. I wanted to be landed and unloading our gear an hour ago. Let me just see what the hol-ly Tymora! Ef this. Set sail for Krynn. Even Kender are less crazy then that thing."
    Did you mean Spelljammer? The elephants and turtles (and similar creatures) are called "Star Beasts", and are an exception to the normal (for Spelljammer) rules of gravity and air envelopes. And they're just so huge and old that they pay no attention to the dust motes (ie PCs) that may happen to float by them. No need to worry about the PCs taming them.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gkathellar View Post
    What, you mean you don't simulate the effects of the planet's gravity and rotation on line effects? For shame.
    To take this as if it was black text for a moment, I tend to assume 'pure magic' travels as a radio signal, removing the need to take gravity into account, although with stuff summoned with magic you have to account for gravity as if it was nonmagical. I don't know the maths for correcting for the earth's soon, but at some point I'm going to research it and include it.

The main things including curvature do is allow you to add some importance to height at long ranges and shields which bounce magic off of the ionosphere to achieve greater ranges.

Show

27. - Top - End - #27

As in all things DM, you need to ask yourself a question of "Does this help with my game in any way?"

If not, avoid flat worlds - they require you to do additional work during worldbuilding, work that is best spent elsewhere, on things that will matter to the players. Go with the default that we're all accustomed to, which is an Earth-like planet with a single moon. Side note: adding more moons creates a massive amount of complications, and can, on occasion, create a problem when your planet should be ripped apart by tidal forces.

If you want a flat world, then it should impact the game in some way or form, otherwise it may as well not be flat and save you all the work. In some cases, the impact is to go for maximum wackyness a la Discworld, and that is perfectly fine, in other cases it creates unique effects that you couldn't have on other worlds. I'd say that one of the obligatory elephants reaching into the oceans with his trunk to have a drink is pretty cool thing to see every now and then.

Least likely option is that you want to tell a story that explicitly requires and oddly-shaped world - The Last Hero from Discworld is an example, as are some sci-fi stories (these usually aren't flat, but the work required to set games in them is comparable). In cases like these, well, definitely pick oddly shaped world, because otherwise you don't have a story.
    That which does not kill you made a tactical error.

28. - Top - End - #28

Usually round, but also have done hollow worlds, ring worlds (Niven rings and sometimes something more complex), Dyson spheres (both swarms/bubbles and shells), O'Neill cylinders. I haven't tried Alderson disks yet. I'm a fan of mixing tech with fantasy (think Endless Space/Legend) or simply having "wizard/deity did it" mega-structures, usually with enough regression/time for people to have forgotten that they don't really know they're in an artificial environment.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Greywolf View Post
    If not, avoid flat worlds - they require you to do additional work during worldbuilding, work that is best spent elsewhere, on things that will matter to the players. Go with the default that we're all accustomed to, which is an Earth-like planet with a single moon. Side note: adding more moons creates a massive amount of complications, and can, on occasion, create a problem when your planet should be ripped apart by tidal forces.
    They only require additional work if the group is going to get really nitpicky about real world geology - which is much the same case with having multiple moons. The baseline is more along the lines of remembering that there isn't a proper horizon anymore.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Greywolf View Post
    As in all things DM, you need to ask yourself a question of "Does this help with my game in any way?"

By the same logic, avoid spherical worlds (also oblong spheroid worlds). If it's not going to come up in play, who cares whether the world is flat or spherical or conical or some undefinable amorphous bloby sort of shape?

So, I guess my answer is that for most settings that I have created, I prefer not to define the shape of the world, unless I expect the players to interact with said shape in some way. Some settings/genres make this more likely (Sci Fi), where in many, it really doesn't matter.