Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Memories of Evil IC

The Questrunners Guild's major hall lies deep within Peridotia but that is not where you begin. You are at a local hall near the eastern edge of Peridotia. It is a minor hall where you have been hired on for an exploratory mission into the jungle. You are waiting to meet your contact in the guild, Robert, outside of the city walls in the warm humid air of midsummer.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Memories of Evil IC

Derrussar chaffed at being summoned like this, but his his word is his word.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "If I give you this boon, Derr, then a boon in return, at my choosing, I expect back." the Questrunner said, having a valuable bit of information Derrussar needed and he knew it. The dark-furred Catfolk pondered discarding the Questrunner's price but the cost of garnering the information, if even possible, would be high. Grinding his teeth, Derrussar smiled as best he could. "So be it. I will give you a favor for the... information."

He looked at the others, keeping his contempt from his face. Gnome, human and pixie. And a Catman. Sounded like a bad joke told by a drunken bard in a tavern near the tanneries.
    Seeing the others not making any inroads, he sighed internally while putting on his charm.
    "I am Derrussar Winding Path. By your leave, I would have your names, if we are traveling together." Once they give up whatever name they choose to give, he smiles at each in turn. "So, what brings each of you before the Questrunners Guild? Promises of gold and riches?
    An oath to bear? A need for adventure? All are valid for each."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

"Ian Daystar." said the young man. "I guess I'm here for the adventuring - you could say it's in my blood."

He took out his Psicrystal - a teal crystal in the shape of a hemisphere. The crystal grew legs made out of psionic ectoplasm.

"And this here is Cygnus. He's my Psicrystal - that's what Psions get instead of familiars."
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2017-05-06 at 05:18 AM.
    Cool elan (no not that kind) Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Archive Of Our Own FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Extended signature here.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"The name is Trixis, but most call me Redeyes for some reason." the little gnome says, her voice much deeper than her slight frame would suggest. "Believe it or not, I am here to help you with my knowledge. That is who I am. That is what I do."
    Last edited by Simba; 2017-05-06 at 04:03 AM.
    Act well before thinking!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Derrussar nods to each in turn. "Well, we all have our reasons. I have some talent with magic and items, while I can usually persuade someone to help us along the way, which I imagine I was asked along." he says with a toothy grin.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    Derrussar nods to each in turn. "Well, we all have our reasons. I have some talent with magic and items, while I can usually persuade someone to help us along the way, which I imagine I was asked along." he says with a toothy grin.
    "My ablilties lie in the area of physical combat and psionic powers. Looks like I'm the front-liner, then." said Ian. "I'm pretty good at tracking as well."

"By the way... didn't Robert say that there would be four people? I count only three."
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2017-05-07 at 08:08 PM. Reason: added statement about swordsage's absence

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Archive Of Our Own FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Extended signature here.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Yes he did. I hope they will arrive shortly."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Simba View Post
    "Yes he did. I hope they will arrive shortly."
    Ian nodded.

"I wonder what's the problem... hope it's nothing too serious.

That reminds me. What can you do? I think you're a divine spellcaster...
    "

Extended signature here.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Very observant of you! Yes I am, I serve Rill Cleverthrush as His Cleric."
    After a second, if she does not see recognition and understanding on Ian's face, she adds:
    "Rill Cleverthrush is the Gnomish God of Artisans."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

"Very observant of you! Yes I am, I serve Rill Cleverthrush as His Cleric."
    After a second, if she does not see recognition and understanding on Ian's face, she adds:
    "Rill Cleverthrush is the Gnomish God of Artisans."
    "Oh, I see. I know a little about religion, but to be honest I only dabbled in it a little. Still, the name rings a bell.

May I ask what magic he grants to his priests?
    "

Extended signature here.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"The usual spread of spells I would say, with focus on spells that help with finding, aquiring and understanding magic items, gems most of all. I usually like to be prepared for those occasions. I am afraid killing things is not His speciality nor is it mine. I can hold my own, I guess. Once we get to more dangerous places I will prepare for the brutality one has to face in the process of uncovering secrets." Trixis sighs "It is unavoidable, I fear. Unpleasant, anyway."

Almost as an afterthought she adds: "Oh, and I am quite good at healing as well. It is expected of me, I know."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

"The usual spread of spells I would say, with focus on spells that help with finding, aquiring and understanding magic items, gems most of all. I usually like to be prepared for those occasions. I am afraid killing things is not His speciality nor is it mine. I can hold my own, I guess. Once we get to more dangerous places I will prepare for the brutality one has to face in the process of uncovering secrets." Trixis sighs "It is unavoidable, I fear. Unpleasant, anyway."

Almost as an afterthought she adds: "Oh, and I am quite good at healing as well. It is expected of me, I know."
    Ian sighed as well.

"Yeah, I know what you're talking about. Competition isn't bad, but there's so much needless conflict in the world.

That's part of the reason why I always wanted to be an adventurer. My parents were adventurers too, you see, and I've heard enough to know that it's not all gold and glory. Ever heard about the Stellar Champions?
    "

Extended signature here.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show

I hope it is ok if I just go ahead and play this out.
    Lore Roll: (1d20+19)[25]
    25: Obscure, known by few, hard to come by. Should e good enough I guess.

"The Stellar Companions you say? Lily and Lucas Daystar, right? Michael Rayshine? Julia Sharpeye? I heard a few stories told aout them in a tavern once."
    Last edited by Simba; 2017-05-08 at 03:38 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I hope it is ok if I just go ahead and play this out.
    Lore Roll: [roll0]
    25: Obscure, known by few, hard to come by. Should e good enough I guess.

"The Stellar Companions you say? Lily and Lucas Daystar, right? Michael Rayshine? Julia Sharpeye? I heard a few stories told aout them in a tavern once."
    "And Lydial Forestleaf and Torken... yeah, those guys. I don't have to explain how I'm related to them, do I?

Don't tell too many people though - it gets annoying.
    "

Extended signature here.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I understand. My parents work in a libary, nothing exiting there. But when I heard the call I had to go and see the world. It is quite fascinating really."
    Last edited by Simba; 2017-05-15 at 05:26 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Arathana silently approaches and descends down towards the group, hearing her new companions talk amongst themselves. Feeling uncomfortable, but no more so than usual when dealing with others, she lands in front of them before turning visible. "You can call me Ara. I apologise for my lateness."

She doesn't really have much knowledge on the current topic (or particularly want to input details from her past) so she continues with what she sees her role as. "I'm a martial adept skilled at unarmed combat. My invisibility and size allow me to additionally serve well as a scout."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Hello Ara!" Trixis says with a smile "My name is Trixis."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

"Pleasure to meet you, Ara. My name is Ian Daystar, and this is my psicrystal, Cygnus. The catfolk here calls himself Derrussar." said the young man. "So, it looks like we're all here now."

"Now, I wonder what's taking Robert so long..."

Extended signature here.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

"Long is not the term I would use to describe it," says a strange burbling voice from the edge of everyone's vision. A weird mix of lobster, clam, and humanoid stands before you waving its left claw in admonishment. "I am precisely on time according to my chronometer and my chronometer is the one I will be use to meter time. Now, come to my office and we shall discuss the mission." The clam/lobster man turns and heads to the small wooden building that sits not too far out from the walls of the city.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    "Long is not the term I would use to describe it," says a strange burbling voice from the edge of everyone's vision. A weird mix of lobster, clam, and humanoid stands before you waving its left claw in admonishment. "I am precisely on time according to my chronometer and my chronometer is the one I will be use to meter time. Now, come to my office and we shall discuss the mission." The clam/lobster man turns and heads to the small wooden building that sits not too far out from the walls of the city.
    "Yeesh, talk about timing." said Ian. "Come on, let's go."

Extended signature here.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

With a shrug and a smile for her companions Trixis follows, her mind already set on the task of figuring out what kind of creature they were dealing with.

Spoiler
    Show

@ZamielVanWeber: What knowledge skill do I roll?
    I will add the appropriate modifier to the roll later: (1d20)[14]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Ian followed the being called Robert. As he did so, he asked nobody in particular,

"Oh, would anyone mind if I check out your auras? Of course, if you don't want me to, then I won't..."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    He means if he can check the others with a detect psionics, which due to psionics-magic transparency also functions as detect magic. I'm not sure if I can identify specific magic dweomers with a Psicraft check, though.

Extended signature here.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ara shrugs in response to Ian's question, not really knowing why he wants to do this, but seeing no harm in it. She then flies on ahead to Robert's office eager to get on with the mission.
    Last edited by Speeddemon87; 2017-05-26 at 01:18 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

"Derrussar? Trixis? Are you guys okay with that too?" asked Ian. "It's nothing serious, just a power for detecting magic and psionics."

Extended signature here.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Go ahead, I do not mind at all!"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

"Go ahead, I do not mind at all!"
    "What about you, Derrussar? If you don't like it, that's fine with me, I guess."

Show
    Anyone know what happened to razorback? He hasn't posted for a while and he said he'd be back by now.

Extended signature here.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Derrussar has a look of one weighing something before answering. "You have my permission but it is always wise to consider what you're seeking before you go looking."
    As he follows the others into the office.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

That's pretty deep. Maybe you should keep that in mind.

said the telepathic voice of Ian's psicrystal.

Good point Cygnus. Still, it would probably be stupid not doing it after getting permission.

Ian activated his detect psionics. As he did, his eyes glowed, and a soft hum sounded. With his newly enhanced senses, Ian checked his future teammates, and Robert as well for good measure.

Show
    Cygnus will speak in the same color as Ian, and in the Garamond font to distinguish from his owner.

As I've just activated it, detect psionics only allows me to detect the presence or absence of magic and psionic auras. I'll need a few more seconds to check more specific stuff.

Speaking of which, how does magic-psionics transparency interact with Psicraft and Spellcraft?

Extended signature here.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

The power activated without a hitch. To Ian's senses, all three of his new teammates were letting off a weak aura, meaning that they all had at least one magic or psionic item.

Unfortunately, Ian had already guessed that, as there was no way that adventurers of their status would lack any sort of dweomered object at all. He did detect a psionic aura from Ana, though.

In hindsight, I should probably just asked what they had, instead of scanning them myself. Oh well...

With a small sigh, Ian dropped the manifestation and joined the others.

Show
    Hmm, it's been a while since anyone's posted. Btw, did I detect any sort of magic or psionic aura from Robert? In case you didn't know, detect psionics can distinguish between magic and psionics.

Extended signature here.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Robert sits on an oddly shape stool that conforms to his clammish body. He waves a claw, "Gentlefolk, thank you for your help. We have encountered a minor problem that seems excellent to determine the abilities of new adventurers such as yourselves." He daintily picks a map up and rolls it, holding it down with rocks stamped with the Questrunner's insignia, "the many jungles on Folia was actually quite populated with both sedentary and semi-nomadic tribes. One area is reporting an unusually high amount of disease. As soon as people can overcome it they are afflicted by another. We want you to investigate the illness and determine what can be done to stop it, especially before it spreads into Peridotia. We highly suspect this is the work of Nurgle or Talona cultists so expect divine magic. Any questions," he finishes with his burbling voice.