New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Dawnbringer

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Dawnbringer

Hello all. I'm new to D&D life, so I'm looking for some help. I just recently acquired Dawnbringer, a Sun blade. I play a Gnome ranger and was wondering if my character is able to use this item.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dawnbringer

Assuming it's the same as the Sun Blade in the DMG? Sort of. It counts as either a Short Sword or a Bastard Sword. If it's sized for a Medium creature, you as a Small-sized creature would have to take the Short Sword option, and take a -2 penalty to treat it as a one-handed weapon, as per the rules on inappropriately sized weapons. (There's an variant in the DMG (page 27) which would have you treat a Medium Shortsword as a Small Longsword, bypassing the penalty, but it's not the default). If you're evil, you'll suffer a negative level while wielding it. Otherwise, you're golden.

EDIT: Actually, wait. What edition of D&D? My answer assumes 3.5; I think Squiddish' is for 5e.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2017-05-15 at 08:00 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

You definitely can, though you would need to attune to it first. Rangers are proficient in simple and martial weapons, and since it has the stats of a longsword, which lacks the heavy property, you won't have a penalty from your small size.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

I'm just genuinely curious here- how did you miss the sizable list of subforums (sections? subsections?) for each edition of D&D that's at the top of the Roleplaying Games section?
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2017-05-16 at 10:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Wonder: Thread closed because I can't figure out where to stick it, and the only real answer at this point is "Depends on which edition". Please reopen in the appropriate edition subforum.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.