Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 30 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [D&D 3.5e / OOC] Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade

Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade OOC Thread

Okay, this is the OOC thread for Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade, which will use a modified form of Whispers of the Vampire's Blade, a module good for killing imaginary enemies with imaginary characters.

The recruitment thread is here.

The re-recruitment thread is here.

The IC thread is here.

Information, the Sixteen, and the Q&A are here:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: Something Like a Sixteen
    Show
    System: D&D 3.5e.
    Setting: Eberron, five years after the Last War.

Starting Level: 4.
    Starting Funds: WBL, or 5,400 gp. You also start with a potion of Cure Moderate Wounds (or an oil of Repair Moderate Damage, if appropriate) and a potion of Feather Fall.
    Ability and Character Generation: 32 Point Buy. Everyone gets one bonus feat. HP after first level is average rounded up.
    Sourcebooks: First-party 3.5e books.
    Playstyle: Roleplaying and hack-and-slash.

Read the Other Houserules and the Q&A for more information!

Spoiler: Other Houserules
    Show
    A. Once per round, if you expend an action point, you'll gain it back. You do not gain back action points if you expend more than one per round.

B. Rule of Cool runs rampant. Don't be afraid of describing and creating scenery, especially if it's to your advantage.

C. For Initiative, if the party is together, the highest Initiative modifier is used. (So if a party consists of -1, +1, +3, and +5, I'll roll a d20+5 for the party's Initiative.) NPC Initiative will be run the same way. The same thing happens for certain skill checks. Listen, Sense Motive, and Spot will use the highest modifier the party has, if and only if they are reactionary (i.e. if they take no action). Otherwise, use your character's modifier.

D. This is not necessarily a house rule, but we won't be using maps, and will instead be relying on a battlefield of the mind. This means that squares, distances, and terrain will be kind of vague. Use that to your advantage!

Spoiler: Q&A
    Show
    1. I heard the module is kind of railroady.

Oh god, it is. It is very much a railroad module. Come for the roleplaying, and come for the dramatic fight scenes, but if you're looking for huge amounts of player agency, this is the wrong module for you. You can still make decisions, and your decisions still matter, but your characters will be following a pretty tight plot line. I will be trying my best to modify the module to allow for as much player agency as possible.

2. How often do we have to post?

Ideally, we'd all post within twenty-four hours of each other's posts, but things always come up. Therefore, I ask that everyone post within forty-eight hours of either your last IC post, or the DM's last IC post, whichever is longer. If something comes up that'll last longer than forty-eight hours, please let us know via the OOC thread.

Active characters:

Inactive characters:

Spoiler: Changelog
    Show
    2017/05/15 - made the OOC thread, which is this.
    2017/05/16 - made the IC thread, added it to the OP, and removed rax's other character from the list of character sheets. Put dashes next to the usernames on the list, to separate them more visually.
    2017/07/05 - replaced "Repair Light Damage" with "Repair Moderate Damage."
    2017/07/29 - moved three character sheets of inactive players to a new pseudo-table.
    2017/08/06 - moved LastCenturion's character sheet back to the active players section.
    2017/08/30 - moved LastCenturion's character sheet back to the abyss. Added Postmodernist's character sheet to the active players section. Linked the re-recruitment thread. Changed up and updated the Sixteen, and the Q&A, and added an "Other Houserules" section. Updated and clarified my houserules.
    2018/03/15 - moved Postmodernist's character to the inactive characters section. Updated the active characters to level five. Changed the inactive characters section to say "inactive characters" instead of "characters consumed by the abyss within."
    2018/04/21 - the symbol "|" and the word "Fighter" were too close together on the link to Quire's character sheet. That's been fixed.
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2018-04-21 at 10:21 PM.
    "I kinda think I'm not supposed to go along with something that's wrong just to get food."

Spoiler: Play by Post Games
    Show
    x Through the Faerie Ring // PL + Progressing // 05/17 - Present
    x Chrono Isekai // PL + Progressing // 03/20 - Present
    x Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade // DM + Completed // 05/17 - 08/18

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [D&D 3.5e / OOC] Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade

Alright! Everyone, let me know once you've completed and/or edited your character sheet (or if it's already finished). Also, feel free to choose a speaking colour for your character, though you are not obliged to. Once that happens, I'll make the IC thread, and then we should be able to start the module.
    "I kinda think I'm not supposed to go along with something that's wrong just to get food."

Show
    x Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade // DM + Completed // 05/17 - 08/18

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: [D&D 3.5e / OOC] Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade

Red for speech. Can we have a deadline for completing sheets. Considering we were all supposed to be done by May 12 (before the site went down), I'm hoping for something in the near future so we can start playing soon. I'm chomping at the bit.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Finished. I have 190 gold left, but who cares? Speaking in Purple-ish.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

"Everyone starts off making garbage.
    If you finally make something halfway
    decent, it'll be the best day of your life."
    Nehra, inventor

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

I should have Fritz finalized by midday, evening at the latest.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I'm done, I think, other than the description section which is really just going to be a more verbose method of describing what's given at the top of the page. Burned most of the rest of the gold on everlasting rations, because why not?
    I'm thinking that some shade of blue will be Sebastien's color.

So here's my thoughts on the other characters. They're worth what you paid for them.

I see Fritz is going to be the thing we sic on the bad guys to make them stop moving. Had we time for crafting, I think I'd be obligated to whip up something to enhance and augment the natural weaponry. We definitely need to get our paws on a wand of greater magic fang, though that might have to wait until later.
    Is lesser vigor an arcane spell?

I see the other squishy also picked up a healing belt. Go Team Cleric!

LastCenturion, the +2 on the +2 dagger applies to damage as well as attack rolls. Don't forget the dagger has a crit range of 19-20/x2, too. You may want to consider swapping out one of the plusses from the enhancement bonus for a special property or even some other magic items; with Factotum's Cunning Insight you'll be at no loss for to-hit and damage bonuses, and that extra 2,000 gp is an awful lot to be paying out for a +1/+1 you don't really need.

Ooh, ToB. That's one of my favorite splats.
    Looking over the sheets, is Mamellek's height a typo? 6'3" and 130 lb. is just this side of 'concentration camp survivor'.

Rax, which character are you thinking about going with?
    Last edited by Solaris; 2017-05-16 at 08:49 AM.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    I'm done, I think, other than the description section which is really just going to be a more verbose method of describing what's given at the top of the page. Burned most of the rest of the gold on everlasting rations, because why not?

So here's my thoughts on the other characters. They're worth what you paid for them.

I see Fritz is going to be the thing we sic on the bad guys to make them stop moving. Had we time for crafting, I think I'd be obligated to whip up something to enhance and augment the natural weaponry. We definitely need to get our paws on a wand of greater magic fang, though that might have to wait until later.

LastCenturion, the +2 on the +2 dagger applies to damage as well as attack rolls. Don't forget the dagger has a crit range of 19-20/x2, too. You may want to consider swapping out one of the plusses from the enhancement bonus for a special property or even some other magic items; with Factotum's Cunning Insight you'll be at no loss for to-hit and damage bonuses, and that extra 2,000 gp is an awful lot to be paying out for a +1/+1 you don't really need.

Looking over the sheets, is Mamellek's height a typo? 6'3" and 130 lb. is just this side of 'concentration camp survivor'.

Awesome! I get to be the beat-stick!

I'm changing out the wands, not sure what for yet.

6'3" and 130lbs? Wow.
    I topped out at 184lbs (weight included my steel-toe boots, backpack and trench coat) at 6'5". I was nearly skeletal, lol

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I know; I have a -1 to Str, so...

Wait, daggers can use Dex, can't they? Today on LC is an idiot, starring myself, we rererediscover how weapons work!

To the gold pieces, I realize there's a better option but I'm not all that interested in finding it. "This dagger is magic and sharp" is good enough for me.

I did not see the 19-20 crit range, though, so thanks for that.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

"Everyone starts off making garbage.
    If you finally make something halfway
    decent, it'll be the best day of your life."
    Nehra, inventor

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

After much agonizing, I've decided to go with Quire Dark as my character. Fewer moving parts to keep track of, and it looks like we could use a decent set of Spot/Listen checks. And if he snuffs it, I hope I'll be allowed to continue with Arniss instead.

I'll go with this chic shade of teal as Quire's speaking voice. He's pretty much done, I just need to add a description of his personality, which I can probably do tomorrow evening, even if it's just bullet points. And I may take the opportunity to adjust some armor depending on the answer I get to my question below.

@TaiLiu and Solaris
    I notice that Sebastien has a pair of dastana included in his equipment. Do these count as coming from a 3.5 source? If so, I might see if I can scrape together the cash to buy a pair. An extra point of AC never hurt at this level.

@LastCenturion
    I don't mean to be spoilsport, but I don't think you have the cash for a +2 dagger. In my DMG, a +2 weapon costs 8,000 gp. A +2 shield or suit of armour costs 4,000 gp though. And while daggers can use your Dex bonus on an attack roll, that normally requires the Weapon Finesse feat, which you don't appear to have on your character sheet.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LairdMaon View Post

Maybe protection from evil? My natural inclination is towards a buffing spell, but arcane isn't great for that.

Quote Originally Posted by LastCenturion View Post

Wait, daggers can use Dex, can't they? Today on LC is an idiot, starring myself, we rererediscover how weapons work!

To the gold pieces, I realize there's a better option but I'm not all that interested in finding it. "This dagger is magic and sharp" is good enough for me.

And a +4 Int. The net bonus is still in the range of 'pretty darn good', although the dagger's base damage is still pretty sad. 'S why Sebastien has a short sword rather than a dagger. At least with a d6 I can kid myself into thinking it's doing something useful.

Daggers can run off of Dex to-hit if you have Weapon Finesse, although more than one DM I've seen has waived that away as an awful feat tax. However...

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    @LastCenturion
    I don't mean to be spoilsport, but I don't think you have the cash for a +2 dagger. In my DMG, a +2 weapon costs 8,000 gp. A +2 shield or suit of armour costs 4,000 gp though.
    ^ Is right. I just skimmed the DMG when I checked it, which would not be the first time I've made the mistake of reading off the Armor table as though it were the Weapon table.

After much agonizing, I've decided to go with Quire Dark as my character. Fewer moving parts to keep track of, and it looks like we could use a decent set of Spot/Listen checks. And if he snuffs it, I hope I'll be allowed to continue with Arniss instead.
    As the guy running a character with a Wis penalty and yet somehow being kitted out for trapfinding, I wholeheartedly approve.
    Somehow, 'low Wis' and 'trapspringer' just seem to go together.

@TaiLiu and Solaris
    I notice that Sebastien has a pair of dastana included in his equipment. Do these count as coming from a 3.5 source? If so, I might see if I can scrape together the cash to buy a pair. An extra point of AC never hurt at this level.
    3.0, Arms & Equipment Guide. It never had a 3.5 update, unfortunately.
    When the recruitment thread stated 3.5 sources! Good catch. TaiLiu, you mind if we keep that, or do you want me to swap it out for something else?
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

11. - Top - End - #11

Thanks for checking on each character's character sheets, everyone! As you can no doubt tell, I've missed a lot of things.

IC thread will be up within twelve hours. Everyone should post within 48 hours of that post - 24 hours preferred, but I know things happen, as I wrote in the Q&A.

Party Initiative versus the foes:

Quote Originally Posted by esorscher View Post
    Red for speech. Can we have a deadline for completing sheets. Considering we were all supposed to be done by May 12 (before the site went down), I'm hoping for something in the near future so we can start playing soon. I'm chomping at the bit.
    We're just waiting for whoiam, mostly. I sent her a PM. In any case, the IC thread will be set up soon, since everyone's mostly done, anyway.
    I should have Fritz finalized by midday, evening at the latest.
    Alright, cool.

Thanks for checking up on the other character sheets!

6'3" and 130lbs? Wow.
    I topped out at 184lbs (weight included my steel-toe boots, backpack and trench coat) at 6'5". I was nearly skeletal, lol
    Damn, you're tall.
    Quote Originally Posted by LastCenturion View Post

I think you're thinking of 5e, unfortunately. Melee weapons use Strength for both damage and accuracy in 3.5e, unless you have certain feats, as rax pointed out.

I'll go with this chic shade of teal as Quire's speaking voice. He's pretty much done, I just need to add a description of his personality, which I can probably do tomorrow evening, even if it's just bullet points. And I may take the opportunity to adjust some armor depending on the answer I get to my question below.

@TaiLiu and Solaris

@LastCenturion
    I don't mean to be spoilsport, but I don't think you have the cash for a +2 dagger. In my DMG, a +2 weapon costs 8,000 gp. A +2 shield or suit of armour costs 4,000 gp though. And while daggers can use your Dex bonus on an attack roll, that normally requires the Weapon Finesse feat, which you don't appear to have on your character sheet.
    Yeah, good catch. Dastanas are, as far as I can tell, 3.0, not 3.5, so they're not allowed. Of course, they're hardly overpowered, so if everyone's cool with them, I'll allow them.

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Actually, the height's correct but the weight's a 'typo'. That character sheet used to have an elf on it and I never did pick a replacement weight

For Mamellek's speech, I shall use Saddle Brown.

13. - Top - End - #13

Whoops, forgot to do the Initiative thing. Darn this computer...

Party: (1d20+5)[11].
    Foes: (1d20+2)[17].

3.0, Arms & Equipment Guide. It never had a 3.5 update, unfortunately.
    When the recruitment thread stated 3.5 sources! Good catch. TaiLiu, you mind if we keep that, or do you want me to swap it out for something else?
    Sorry, I didn't see this before the post below you came up. I'll allow it if everyone's okay with it, as I said. But by default, they're not allowed.

Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Ignore the Initiative thing. I was going to start y'all in the middle of a fight, but I decided against it.

The IC thread is here. Will update the first OOC post.

Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Nice to see the game get going! But it's 1 a.m. around my neck of the woods, so I'm off to bed. Will post in the IC thread sometime tomorrow evening. Night all!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Woot! First IC post, and I immediately need to some OOC response from our DM.

With Hunter's Sense up, Quire has the scent special ability, which says that it's possible to identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights. I'd like to check if there are any familiar odors (apart from Fritz's and Sebastien's) on any of the letter, the envelope, or the coins. If there aren't any familiar odors, I'd like to try and identify what other scents there are for future reference. Is any of this doable?

And for future reference, should I put OOC plans/questions pertaining to an IC post here, or is it accepted practice to put it in spoiler tags in the IC post. (It's done that way in some other PbP games I'm in.)

17. - Top - End - #17

Woot! First IC post, and I immediately need to some OOC response from our DM.
    That's me.
    With Hunter's Sense up, Quire has the scent special ability, which says that it's possible to identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights. I'd like to check if there are any familiar odors (apart from Fritz's and Sebastien's) on any of the letter, the envelope, or the coins. If there aren't any familiar odors, I'd like to try and identify what other scents there are for future reference. Is any of this doable?
    Yes, that's fine, though I suspect the whole "Creatures with the scent ability can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights" requires the actual creature to be there. But in case I'm wrong:

The material of the paper and the envelope are familiar to you, because you've smelled other papers and envelopes made from similar materials. The ink, too. The coins seem normal.

There's a scent of a few humanoids on all of the material, though you recognize none of them.
    And for future reference, should I put OOC plans/questions pertaining to an IC post here, or is it accepted practice to put it in spoiler tags in the IC post. (It's done that way in some other PbP games I'm in.)
    Here is fine. I'm not particularly picky.

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Yes, that's fine, though I suspect the whole "Creatures with the scent ability can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights" requires the actual creature to be there. But in case I'm wrong:

The material of the paper and the envelope are familiar to you, because you've smelled other papers and envelopes made from similar materials. The ink, too. The coins seem normal.

There's a scent of a few humanoids on all of the material, though you recognize none of them.
    I'm sort of hoping that, having registered these scents on the paper, Quire will be able to recognize the people that left them there if we run into them. Which might prove useful later on if said persons later try something devious like disguising themselves or turning invisible. But if that's stretching the bounds of the ability, I'm okay with that.

19. - Top - End - #19

I'm sort of hoping that, having registered these scents on the paper, Quire will be able to recognize the people that left them there if we run into them. Which might prove useful later on if said persons later try something devious like disguising themselves or turning invisible. But if that's stretching the bounds of the ability, I'm okay with that.
    Yeah, that sounds reasonable. I'll let your character know if they come across the person or persons who wrote the letter.

Show

20. - Top - End - #20

I don't think esorscher has participated IC yet, so I'll go contact him.

Let me know when you'd like to move on, either IC ("Bob the Fighter heads to the marketplace to pick up weapons") or OOC ("I'm ready to move onto the scene at the Myriad Tower now").

Also: dastanas! Yay or nay?

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Dastanas, fine with me.

Fritz is ready to follow the others when they move out.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Also: dastanas! Yay or nay?
    Fine with me (since I was considering getting some).

Also, edit 1:
    @LairdMaon: I'm pretty sure Mamellek is a 'her', not a 'him', as you've been putting it in the IC thread. Or perhaps that's deliberate on your part?

And edit 2:
    @TaiLiu: I'm ready to move on, but was expecting esorscher and LastCenturion to post first.
    Last edited by rax; 2017-05-18 at 04:08 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I can't use Dastanas (assuming I looked up the correct thing, I don't think I'm allowed to team them with full plate), but I've no objection to the others having them.

And yes, despite being a classic graduate of the 'bang your hand on the keyboard then remove enough consonants to make it pronounceable' school of naming, Mamellek is actually a woman.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Fritz hasn't had a gender for very long. He's still getting used to the difference. Lol

Also, OOPS! Gotta play it off!

For additional fun, I'll let you folks determine Fritz' gender! Preferably through how you treat "him"
    Last edited by LairdMaon; 2017-05-18 at 04:24 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Dastanas, fine with me.
    Fine with me (since I was considering getting some).
    Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    I can't use Dastanas (assuming I looked up the correct thing, I don't think I'm allowed to team them with full plate), but I've no objection to the others having them.
    Good enough for me; dastanas are approved.
    Fritz is ready to follow the others when they move out.
    @TaiLiu: I'm ready to move on, but was expecting esorscher and LastCenturion to post first.
    Alright, sweet. And yeah, I sent PMs to both of them, since maybe they didn't see the IC thread or something.
    Fritz hasn't had a gender for very long. He's still getting used to the difference. Lol

Also, OOPS! Gotta play it off!

For additional fun, I'll let you folks determine Fritz' gender! Preferably through how you treat "him"
    Oo! Oo! Make 'em an enby!

Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Why didn't I know the IC thread was up? Because I wasn't subscribed to the OOC thread. Now that both those threads are subscribed, you should not be waiting on me again--unless I let you know in advance about IRL things. Any problems with my sheet? Am I the other squishy? Go healing belts!
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

27. - Top - End - #27

Glance at the IC thread, and behold my ingenious solution to the problem of asynchronous communication! Now, instead of having to wait for Solaris's character to say yes or no, and then for me to read it and write an IC post, and then for Solaris and esorscher to read my post and then react, I can just write an IC post, and then Solaris and esorscher can respond. It does take a bit of extra work, and I won't be able to do it every time, but hopefully this'll give the game's speed a bit of a boost.

If the two of them do go scout, is the rest of the party going to do anything else of significance, or will they simply wait in the tavern until it's time to go? (I assume the latter, but let me know if it's the former.)
    Quote Originally Posted by esorscher View Post
    Why didn't I know the IC thread was up? Because I wasn't subscribed to the OOC thread. Now that both those threads are subscribed, you should not be waiting on me again--unless I let you know in advance about IRL things. Any problems with my sheet? Am I the other squishy? Go healing belts!
    Alright, thanks! And your sheet looks fine, though I didn't take a close look.

Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Hm. And I suppose one problem with my ingenious solution has already popped up.

LairdMaon, you are reacting as if the party didn't scout ahead, right? Just to make sure.

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Lol! You are correct. I did. I didnt see the ooc post until after I posted ic.

30. - Top - End - #30

Lol! You are correct. I did. I didnt see the ooc post until after I posted ic.
    Alright, cool. Just be warned that if the two choose to scout ahead, your post may be rendered irrelevant.

Show