Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default The Quarterstaff Ascetic - A 3.5 PrC

Quarterstaff Ascetic
    The quarterstaff ascetic is a monk who specializes in wielding staffs. The quarterstaff ascetic trains with staffs of all kinds, and with a combination of training and self-mastery, gains quasi-magical abilities when wielding a staff.

Hit Die: d8.
    Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Staff Damage
    1st +1 +2 +2 +2 Ki channel, monk abilities 1d8
    2nd +2 +3 +3 +3 Bonus feat, ki staff (+1d6) 1d8
    3rd +3 +3 +3 +3 Greater Weapon Focus 1d8
    4th +4 +4 +4 +4 Ki staff (+2d6) 1d10
    5th +5 +4 +4 +4 Pole vault 1d10
    6th +6 +5 +5 +5 Ki staff (+3d6) 1d10
    7th +7 +5 +5 +5 Staggering staff 2d6
    8th +8 +6 +6 +6 Ki staff (+4d6) 2d6
    9th +9 +6 +6 +6 Stunning staff 2d6
    10th +10 +7 +7 +7 Ki staff (+5d6), staff juggernaut 2d8

Prerequisites
    To qualify to become a quarterstaff ascetic, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
    • Alignment: Any lawful.
    • Feat: Weapon Focus (quarterstaff).
    • Special: Ki strike class ability.

CLASS SKILLS
    Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex).
    Skill Points per Level: 4 + Int modifier.
    CLASS FEATURES
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Quarterstaff ascetics are proficient with the club, crossbow, dagger, handaxe, javelin, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, siangham, sling, and unarmed strike.
    [I]Staff Training (Ex): The monk's ki strike and flurry of blows class features also apply to quarterstaves.
    Monk Abilities: The quarterstaff ascetic continues gaining monk class features and unarmored speed bonus (not increased unarmed damage) as if the quarterstaff ascetic's effective monk level were equal to their monk level plus their quarterstaff ascetic level.
    Purity of Body (Ex): A quarterstaff ascetic gains immunity to all diseases except for supernatural and magical diseases.
    Staff Damage: A quarterstaff ascetic deals base damage with a quarterstaff as listed above, or their unarmed strike damage, whichever is better.
    Bonus Feat: At 2nd level, a quarterstaff ascetic may select either Improved Disarm or Improved trip as a bonus feat. A quarterstaff ascetic need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them.
    Ki Staff (Su): At 2nd level, a quarterstaff ascetic can channel her ki to empower her quarterstaff attacks. Once per encounter, a quarterstaff ascetic can spend a swift action to gather her ki to deliver +1d6 damage to all attacks made with a quarterstaff in that turn.
    At 4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th level, this extra damage increases by +1d6.
    Greater Weapon Focus: At 3rd level, a quarterstaff ascetic gains Greater Weapon Focus (quarterstaff) s a bonus feat. A quarterstaff ascetic need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them.
    Pole Vault (Ex): At 5th level, while wielding a quarterstaff, a quarterstaff ascetic gains a bonus on Jump checks equal to twice their quarterstaff ascetic level
    Staggering Staff (Su): At 7th level, when a quarterstaff ascetic hits with a quarterstaff, at the asceticís option, the creature hit must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + Ĺ class level + Wisdom modifier) or be staggered.
    Stunning Staff (Su): At 9th level, when a quarterstaff ascetic hits with a quarterstaff, at the asceticís option, the creature hit must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + Ĺ class level + Wisdom modifier) or be dazed.
    Staff Juggernaut (Ex): At 10th level, when a quarterstaff ascetic hits an opponent with a quarterstaff while using flurry of blows, the ascetic may make another attack against the same target at a -2 penalty. This ability can be applied to attacks made with this ability, so a monk with Staff Juggernaut, on a hit, may continue making attacks with an increasing penalty until one of them misses.
    Last edited by lbuttitta; 2017-11-15 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Revised class features, added vault and staff juggernaut class features
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: The Quarterstaff Ascetic - A 3.5 PrC

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttitta View Post
    Quarterstaff Ascetic
    The quarterstaff ascetic is a monk who specializes in wielding staffs. The quarterstaff ascetic trains with staffs of all kinds, and with a combination of training and self-mastery, gains quasi-magical abilities when wielding a staff.

Hit Die: d8.
    Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Staff Damage AC Bonus Unarmed Speed Bonus
    1st +1 +2 +2 +2 Purity of body 1d8 +1 +10 ft.
    2nd +2 +3 +3 +3 Bonus feat, ki staff (+1d6) 1d8 +1 +20 ft.
    3rd +3 +3 +3 +3 Greater Weapon Focus 1d8 +1 +20 ft.
    4th +4 +4 +4 +4 Ki staff (+2d6) 1d10 +1 +20 ft.
    5th +5 +4 +4 +4 Improved evasion 1d10 +1 +30 ft.
    6th +6 +5 +5 +5 Ki staff (+3d6), ki strike (lawful) 1d10 +2 +30 ft.
    7th +7 +5 +5 +5 Greater flurry, staggering staff 2d6 +2 +30 ft.
    8th +8 +6 +6 +6 Abundant step, ki staff (+4d6) 2d6 +2 +40 ft.
    9th +9 +6 +6 +6 Stunning staff 2d6 +2 +40 ft.
    10th +10 +7 +7 +7 Ki staff (+5d6) 2d8 +2 +40 ft.

Prerequisites
    To qualify to become a quarterstaff ascetic, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
    • Alignment: Any lawful.
    • Feat: Weapon Focus (quarterstaff).
    • Special: Ki strike monk class ability.
    Ki strike (magic)?
    CLASS SKILLS
    Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex).
    Skill Points per Level: 4 + Int modifier.
    CLASS FEATURES
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Quarterstaff ascetics are proficient with the club, crossbow, dagger, handaxe, javelin, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, siangham, sling, and unarmed strike.
    Purity of Body (Ex): A quarterstaff ascetic gains immunity to all diseases except for supernatural and magical diseases.
    Staff Damage: A quarterstaff ascetic deals base damage with a quarterstaff as listed above.
    I would add "or their unarmed strike damage, whichever is best."
    Bonus Feat: At 2nd level, a quarterstaff ascetic may select either Improved Disarm or Improved trip as a bonus feat. A quarterstaff ascetic need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them.
    Maybe give them a list instead 1 of 2, as a 6th level monk has 1 of them as a class feature.
    Ki Staff (Su): At 2nd level, a quarterstaff ascetic can channel her ki to empower her quarterstaff attacks. Once per encounter, a quarterstaff ascetic can spend a swift action to gather her ki to deliver +1d6 damage to all attacks made with a quarterstaff in that turn.
    At 4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th level, this extra damage increases by +1d6.
    A little more damage, not sure honestly whether good or bad, there are better number crunchers than me
    Greater Weapon Focus: At 3rd level, a quarterstaff ascetic gains Greater Weapon Focus (quarterstaff) s a bonus feat. A quarterstaff ascetic need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them.
    Improved Evasion (Ex): As the monk class ability.
    Ki Strike (Su): As the monk class ability, except it only applies to quarterstaffs.
    Ki Strike (lawful), since they have ki strike (magic)? I would give them law, and let the magic from fists apply to quarterstaffs as well. Along with letting the thing apply to unarmed and quarterstaffs...
    Greater Flurry (Ex): As the monk class ability.
    Staggering Staff (Su): When a quarterstaff ascetic hits with a quarterstaff, at the asceticís option, the creature hit must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + Ĺ class level + Wisdom modifier) or be staggered.
    Abundant Step (Su): As the monk class ability.
    Stunning Staff (Su): When a quarterstaff ascetic hits with a quarterstaff, at the asceticís option, the creature hit must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + Ĺ class level + Wisdom modifier) or be dazed.
    There are five things that are cribbed off the monk... I would put some different class features for them, such as:
    Vault: The Quarterstaff ascetic has learned how to use their chosen weapon to help them clear long spaces. With a running start they gain a bonus on jump checks equal to Wisdom Modifier+(2*(monk+QA level)). Alternatively the DC can be halved/quartered etc...
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Ki strike (magic)?
    You have to be a 4th-level monk to get into Quarterstaff Ascetic, and 4th-level monks already get Ki Strike (magic).
    I would add "or their unarmed strike damage, whichever is best."
    Hmm, OK.
    Maybe give them a list instead 1 of 2, as a 6th level monk has 1 of them as a class feature.
    That was intentional, I'm trying to create a prestige class that progresses the more combat-oriented monk class abilities (i.e., bonus feats and ki strike, but not wholeness of body).
    Ki Strike (lawful), since they have ki strike (magic)? I would give them law, and let the magic from fists apply to quarterstaffs as well. Along with letting the thing apply to unarmed and quarterstaffs...
    I'll add that suggestion.
    There are five things that are cribbed off the monk... I would put some different class features for them, such as:
    Vault: The Quarterstaff ascetic has learned how to use their chosen weapon to help them clear long spaces. With a running start they gain a bonus on jump checks equal to Wisdom Modifier+(2*(monk+QA level)). Alternatively the DC can be halved/quartered etc...
    What level would you put that ability at?
    Last edited by lbuttitta; 2017-05-18 at 06:49 PM.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

You have to be a 4th-level monk to get into Quarterstaff Ascetic, and 4th-level monks already get Ki Strike (magic).
    Just making sure
    Hmm, OK.

That was intentional, I'm trying to create a prestige class that progresses the more combat-oriented monk class abilities (i.e., bonus feats and ki strike, but not wholeness of body).
    Well, statistically the monk is weaker then the fighter, used for possibly a quick dip to get something. Which is why there are probably quite a few reworks, including mine, which needs a final once over, probably do this afternoon...
    I'll add that suggestion.

What level would you put that ability at?
    Probably at 3rd, depends on how you scale it honestly.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Actually, instead I'll just add a section saying that the class progresses monk abilities. That would be simpler.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Also, added class features Vault (Ex) and Staff Juggernaut (Ex).
    Show