New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Um/pd ?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Um/pd ?

Given the default position of magic-psionic transparency, is there any reason why UMD and UPD were made as separate skills?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Um/pd ?

Transparency applies to how powers and spells interact. It doesn't combine their sources into a single pool; that's why wizards don't learn powers, why psions don't learn spells; and why Knowledge (psionics), Psicraft and Use Psionic Device are different skills then Knowledge (arcana), Spellcraft and Use Magic Device.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Transparency applies to how powers and spells interact. It doesn't combine their sources into a single pool; that's why wizards don't learn powers, why psions don't learn spells; and why Knowledge (psionics), Psicraft and Use Psionic Device are different skills then Knowledge (arcana), Spellcraft and Use Magic Device.
    That's true enough, but it seems to me that the mental skullduggery useful for manipulationg magical items would work perfectly well with psionic ones. Knowlegde (arcana), Knowledge (psionics), Psicraft, and Spellcraft all represent study of a particular field, but it seems to me that the UMD and UPD skills represent more training in mental techniques used to bamboozle items with magical and psionic power, and I don't see any reason why the techniques wouldn't be the same and thus represented by the same skill.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I've always seen UMD checks as crudely manipulating arcane forces or divine energy until the wand goes off, while I see UPD as trying to achieve the proper state of mind and particular focus to activate a device without proper mental training.

I personaly think UMD should be split into Use Arcane Device and Use Divine Device.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Look at the flavor text for psionic items; they're fundamentally different. One reads a scroll, attempting to activate it with a command word, whereas one would address a power stone, mentally, and ask it to activate. It makes perfect sense that those would require totally different skill sets.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Given that psionics is basically harnessing power from within yourself, I find that the whole concept of a "psionic item" to be oxymoronic and not making a whole lot of sense.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Given that psionics is basically harnessing power from within yourself, I find that the whole concept of a "psionic item" to be oxymoronic and not making a whole lot of sense.
    So you're just taking some of that internal power and setting it aside in an external receptacle. No problem.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tellah View Post
    Look at the flavor text for psionic items; they're fundamentally different. One reads a scroll, attempting to activate it with a command word, whereas one would address a power stone, mentally, and ask it to activate. It makes perfect sense that those would require totally different skill sets.
    I agree, but that having been said, it might be fair to give them synergy since it's at least similar.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

It's your game so do what you want. I just think of it as the age of discovery. Alchemy, biology and chemistry or electricity, magnetism and physcics have many similarities but they are not the same disciplines.

Mechanically you might consider granting the synergy bonus for having 5 ranks of skill in one to the other.
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2007-08-02 at 08:41 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

In some of my games I've personally house ruled that psionics is just another form of magic. I eliminated Knowledge (Psionics), Psicraft, and Use Psionic Device. Any class with those Skills on its list got Knowledge (Arcana), Spellcraft, and Use Magic Device instead.

But 90% of the games I've played in use the standard division between magic and psionics. And really, it didn't seem to make much of a difference either way. It's mostly a style thing, as far as I'm concerned.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

If it helps, houserule them as related (or the same) skills. I do. RAW, they're separate, but I can't think of a good balance reason offhand why they'd be separate and it seems more flavorful to the rogue class if they were related, thus the houserule.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    So you're just taking some of that internal power and setting it aside in an external receptacle. No problem.
    You mean, "psionic item" is just shorthand for an item created/usable by someone with psionic powers, and doesn't indicate that the item itself is a manifester?

Well, that's a bit of a misnomer, then, isn't it?

(Although a campaign world in which all psionic items are intelligent -- on the theory that psionic effects can only be produced by a mind -- could be... interesting. It would require changes -- or rather, an expansion -- to the normal rules for intellegent items, that's for sure.)
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.