New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default If you were a wizard in a fantasy land, what would your research be?

So, after years of intense study and dedication, after slaying countless mystical creatures and exploring alien and supernatural realms you have done it.

You are now a level 20 wizard with a lot of magical power at your disposal.

Now that you have reached this point, what do you plan to do? You have your own lab in your own secluded tower.

What is you research about? What do you plan to achieve?

To reach immortality? To gain eternal youth? To create unflawed original life? To ascend to godhood, or to achieve inconceivable mastery of magic, which may be the same? To catalogue the histories of your past selves or past influences? To travel through time? To restore a lost species or specimen to life? To discover the hidden name(s) and bindings of a certain significant extra dimensional entity? To catalogue a variety of mystical creatures? To transfer yourself via portal to another planet or domain? To divest yourself of some unwanted element of your identity, history, or psyche? To invest yourself or a portion of yourself into a magically receptive device or construct? To take on a form or identity significantly unlike yourself?

What's your plan?
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2017-05-23 at 07:41 PM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: If you were a wizard in a fantasy land, what would your research be?

"Things that go BOOM". Explosions are fun. Hey, even a wizard-20 needs a hobby. Bigger and better magical nukes. Start with planet destroyers, then solar system destroyers. Eventually while galaxies worth of destruction.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: If you were a wizard in a fantasy land, what would your research be?

I guess I'd research how to ascend.

Man, wizards love ascending.

I never met a wizard who wasn't excited about ascension.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    To reach immortality? To gain eternal youth? To create unflawed original life? To ascend to godhood, or to achieve inconceivable mastery of magic, which may be the same? To catalogue the histories of your past selves or past influences? To travel through time? To restore a lost species or specimen to life? To discover the hidden name(s) and bindings of a certain significant extra dimensional entity? To catalogue a variety of mystical creatures? To transfer yourself via portal to another planet or domain? To divest yourself of some unwanted element of your identity, history, or psyche? To invest yourself or a portion of yourself into a magically receptive device or construct? To take on a form or identity significantly unlike yourself?
    Well, you pretty much covered most of my plan right there.

Wizard 20 implies D&D. In case I was in the wrong world / edition, I'd use / research spells to get me where I'd rather be.

Then immorality. And most of the stuff you listed. And an eternity of researching cool new spells, like all the cool new programs I build IRL.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruviansquid View Post
    I never met a wizard who wasn't excited about ascension.
    Quertus says hi. He's one of my few characters who explicitly doesn't have divinity as an end goal.
    Last edited by Quertus; 2017-05-23 at 09:40 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

In D&D probably not immortality.

There is a system of afterlives in place more grand and complex than the material plane. And everyone you know is going there. Down on earth there are only junior spirits, kids. Up there are all the sages and magical masters. I'd rather figure out how to freely move around all these planes when I do die.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

6. - Top - End - #6

DrowGuy

how to break the fourth wall and invade earth for the sole purpose of abolishing pants.

... might as well chase windmills when you already break reality for breakfast, right?
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Deeper understanding of how magic works. What causes it to function? What are its limits? Is magic an energy field? A wave? A particle? Particle/wave duality? A dead god's remnants? How can magic be measured, and is said measurement granular, or infinitely divisible? Does magic decay over time, or grow? Has the amount of magic in the world always been the same?

It is hard to think about these things when the big stupid fighter keeps dragging you off to save the kingdom.
    Nihil Refert

8. - Top - End - #8

DrowGuy

How to redeem the unredeemable - demons, devils, et cetera. After that, purify some succubi (hopefully while switching off the level drain thing) and set up a temple in my name. Godhood awaits!

No, seriously, that's about the sort of long-term goal I'd set for a DnD version of me.
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Hrm.
    Some means to ease the transition into the afterlife. Things like retaining abilities and memories when you become a petitioner.
    When I need a break from that probably coming up with awesome quality of life improvements for the locals.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I'd probably go the fantastic beasts and where to find them route.

I'd make a pretty dull wizard having no great personal ambition whatsoever, but I do think I could get out of bed each morning and travel yonder if there's some promise of observing unique creatures and how they be.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd finally find a way to rid the world of earworms once and for all. Catchy tunes shall no longer plague the working man!

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    I'd finally find a way to rid the world of earworms once and for all. Catchy tunes shall no longer plague the working man!
    Get ready to have some visits from the assassin guild hired by the music industry.
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2017-05-24 at 09:36 AM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Healing spells for wizards. Clerics get to blow **** up in D&D, these days. It's time to let wizards heal.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    In D&D probably not immortality.

There is a system of afterlives in place more grand and complex than the material plane. And everyone you know is going there. Down on earth there are only junior spirits, kids. Up there are all the sages and magical masters. I'd rather figure out how to freely move around all these planes when I do die.
    Well, according top the OP, I'm here, so all those so-called "great" sages of the past should be clamoring to get to where the real master is!

Besides, in most D&D afterlives, being a petitioner (or worse!) means no memories, let alone no trace of your former power. It's a fail state, not a goal.

Unless you worship Amalak's God of Death. All other gods care about life - this one cares about the afterlife. You're only alive for a short time - whose retirement plan would you rather have?

Under that god, I might agree with you - but no one of my caliber would await me on the other side, even then, as no great sages and master mages converted, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by JBPuffin View Post
    How to redeem the unredeemable - demons, devils, et cetera. After that, purify some succubi (hopefully while switching off the level drain thing) and set up a temple in my name. Godhood awaits!

No, seriously, that's about the sort of long-term goal I'd set for a DnD version of me.
    I've played a few characters like that. One, sadly, in a party that believed in killing rather than redeeming. I approve of your goal - especially if you're aiming to become the God of Redemption.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Healing spells for wizards. Clerics get to blow **** up in D&D, these days. It's time to let wizards heal.
    Wizards can, with Epic Spells and, what, 25 ranks in Knowledge:Religion?
    Last edited by Quertus; 2017-05-24 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Autocorrect

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

They can also heal with polymorph.

16. - Top - End - #16

Beholder

Probably spells to understand/manipulate natural phenomena such as storms, volcanoes, and tarrasques. Because, why not?

Though the altruist in me does wonder if maybe I should spend that research time on more productive/utilitarian spells.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Become the ruler of small city and create an utopia.

By mass producing golems the citizens under my domain would not need to do hard labor such as farming and war, they would have no responsibilities so they can dedicate their lives to art, culture and joy.
    Last edited by The Eye; 2017-05-24 at 12:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Excellent Chaotic Evil "roleplaying" The Eye. "The only people responsible for the welfare of or harm dealt to others are people who aren't me."
    "A clear horizon — nothing to worry about on your plate, only things that are creative and not destructive… I can’t bear quarreling, I can’t bear feelings between people — I think hatred is wasted energy, and it’s all non-productive." - Alfred Hitchcock

18. - Top - End - #18

To start with, lets make a proper suite of analytical spells. We've got all these spells for blowing stuff up and asking gods annoying questions with a chance of insanity or even 'create some arbitrary thing', but we don't have a Microscope spell or a Discern Composition spell. Then, spells to determine things about spells themselves, looking for variations and phenomena at the sub-spell scale.

Next, establish the computational bounds of the magic's subconscious. Spells can trigger off of, interpret, and influence things at a fairly abstract cognitive level - which means that spells (or magic itself) have things like sensory inputs, cognitive functions, etc. What's doing the thinking? Is it interconnected? What are its limits?

Tying it all together, the goal would be to harvest the computational resources of magic itself to create an 'implied reality', where things exist because magic itself is 'thinking' about them. Then try to bridge that with the physical world via Godel-style self-referential statements.

Of course the result could just be that rather than the complex logic blocks going off correctly, a simple paper card shows up saying 'knock it off, you're giving me a headache, next time you try this I'm teleporting you into a swamp'.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Somewhere between surgery and engineering. Samuraization surgery, Shinobization surgery, Mechanica implants, Meikyo and Kimen Konghokis and Yorois. Maybe some snake-body Yorois. That kind of thing. Maybe I'll save up enough money to get a Kugutsu assistant. You know, stuff that get you a bit of respect, people who will look out for your well-being and enough money to live somewhere.
    "Movement speed is the most important statistic in this game."

"Give them no mercy for they give no mercy to us."

"I see one of those I kill it!"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

By that point I would be much more intelligent than I am now, and with a much greater knowledge of what magic can do. My plan would be something brilliant which I cannot comprehend at present.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'd say time travel and non-necromantic immortality would be a good place to start. Then, I travel the universe.

Also, some serious research into the nature of magic.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    Besides, in most D&D afterlives, being a petitioner (or worse!) means no memories, let alone no trace of your former power. It's a fail state, not a goal.
    You've got to remember that most people are commoners and thus improved in stature by petitionerness. A lantern archon is a fourth level summon.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-05-25 at 02:49 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I would develop the tools and spells to analyse magic more deeply (a time slowdown device to allow me to watch and playback events at any rate I choose, a tracing device to work out where magic goes to and comes from and so on). The global aim would be to simplify the study of magic with a long term goal of making magic available to as many members of the population as possible. After all, if everybody can cast Goodberry then famine is no longer a problem. If everyone can cast Mending then we can eliminate a lot of waste in society.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

A) Conditional immortality. Basically I live forever, until I say otherwise. None of this "outlive the the planet and then stuck floating in space for eternity" BS

B)To paraphrase (read:scrub out the profanity) myself in Reddit in a discussion we had about the 5th ed playtest module "the mud sorcerer's tomb" and it's litteral invincible walls you can't teleport through:

Look.. if I, Oxybe, was the badguy in question I would have made the whole dungeon just 2 rooms made of that Unbreakium you can't teleport through.

First room is a 30ftx5ft long corridor that shuts the door behind the party once they get within 5 ft from the end, which is a door. On that door is a dumb riddle that has nothing to do with the room as the ceiling falls down immediately to crush them when the door is touched.

Because the only way to safely open that door is to touch it while holding the key, and the trap is reset with a remote car starter to activate/deactivate the trap remotely. Both of which I have on my person. On the other side of the door. Because I made that my bachelor pad of awesomeness.

Because if I can afford enough "HAHA!"-ium and magical traps to make a whole goshdarn dungeon out of the stuff, I can probably consolidate my funds to afford a smaller place with a good hermetic seal on the door, an unbreakable peephole to look on the other side (or a crystal ball or something instead), a self-stocking minifridge, heating/air conditioning, an air recycler, some lighting, an Evercomfy Bed, a few good books and a hat of disguise+broom of flying if I ever wanted to go out undercover to get new books or something, and have it guarded by the "bugger you" room of doom. And I can spend the rest of my money blinging the heck of out that room.

The end.

That's how a competent villain does stuff. No faffing about with traps or puzzles to test the worthyness of your foes. You put a good lock and a puzzle that's just there to take people's attention away from their imminent doom just long enough for it to kill them. Because who cares if the puzzle is solved, you've just gotten rid of those pesky adventurers who are here to take your stuff, that you likely took because it's original owner decided to put a puzzle instead of a security device in front of it.
    Then again, I'm a wee bit of a misanthrope. There are people I like, I just don't like people in general.

25. - Top - End - #25

Wasn't that basically how Tomb of Horrors worked?
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Wasn't that basically how Tomb of Horrors worked?
    Sort of, only Acerak was pretty wasteful in how he managed his materials and resources IMO as he simply went for quantity of deathtraps over anything else and his furnishings weren't practical for someone looking to live out their lives in comfort. I would have to fish out the module, but I don't remember any actual entertainment being there in his skull room or what his gameplan was other then "hang out in room with treasure" for eternity as a fancy undead paperweight.

For me, the worst case scenario is that I just have to outlive my problems that can't be solved by "ceiling falls" while still having a really nice place where I can Scry and Chill, read trashy halfling novels, eat some poutine and not have to talk to people or work outside of my own indulgences. Acerak just kinda overcomplicated things with the big tomb setup.

I just want a hidey-hole where I don't need to interact with people, because: magic.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I'd go about dealing with human's big enemies - disease and famine. Targeted disease eradication of particularly nasty diseases, development of vaccination spells, crop resilience, and just generally spells of that nature.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

I would find a way to convert an extradimensional demiplane into a huge self-contained factory that builds nearly indestructible golem copies of myself (which should ideally retain all my spellcasting abilities). I'd then bind my soul to that factory so that I can inhabit and control any of the golems at will. Then I'd take control of one of the golems and polymorph it into the pet of some unsuspecting adventurer. If said adventure ever needs to save the world against improbable odds, I'll reveal myself solve the problem in 2 minutes with my indestructible spellcaster golem army and have his party cry 'Deus Ex Machina' until all eternity.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Time Travel I build it into the tower and I make the tower appear smaller on the outside.
    I use Simulacrums to transfer my consciousness in death into young bodies with the same power and abilities. Or a phylactery and travel the cosmos and time to study all things. Also collect some wards to keep my eternal life(maybe unlife) interesting and lively.
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by oxybe View Post
    A) Conditional immortality. Basically I live forever, until I say otherwise. None of this "outlive the the planet and then stuck floating in space for eternity" BS
    Due to the thermodynamic violations involved therein a truly immortal being would be able to spawn a new planet out of thwir own blood over the course of many many years

Omegaupdate Forum