New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Shattered Star II: Curse of the Lady's Light (IC)

Meh. Given the nature of CQB, Lilim really doesn't worry about something "behind" us. We aren't here to explore, but to get the shard. It makes sense that an item like that will be at the deepest level and most protected. Her vote is to delve. If we don't find it, then start level-grinding our way back.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"I want back what she took from me. If you want to look for other things, we can do it later."

Instead of a sentence, it's more like a groan that Erima utters.
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

With the input of the others (Teofilo simply follows The Scribe, Rezah wanting to go right to the heart of things, and Fallon wanting to not get stuck in a level-grinding rut), it's almost unanimous in descending the stairs. A long stairway of polished stone steps descends nearly forty feet before ending at a ten-foot-square landing with no apparent way onward. The wall opposite the final step depicts a lascivious painting of a beautiful woman, arms outstretched as if to welcome one into an embrace, lips twisted in a faintly cruel smile. A phrase in a foreign tongue is inscribed in gold across the top of the mural. It is Thassilonian (understood by The Scribe, Fallon, and Teofilo), and reads:

"Prostrate thyself and demonstrate proper devotion, my sweet slave, if you wish to enter my domain."

The lettering is in gold leaf (and could feasibly be pried out with several minutes of work; The Scribe reckons 250 gp worth). Examining the mural, everyone (except Teofilo, until it is pointed out), will notice that the image's feet display more wear than anything else.

What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2017-08-13 at 03:37 AM.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Porper Devotion ? Seriously ?

"So she wants us to kiss the feet of the image ? Sorry, but I won't do that. I could bite it off, given how pissed off I am."
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

5. - Top - End - #35

"Sinxia, Fallon ... any magic down here?"
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Lilim looks at the magic hounds, because it isn't her ....
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sinxia will cast Detect Magic and describe what she sees to the more knowledgeable of the group (a slight nod to the fact that I left Spellcraft untrained)
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

8. - Top - End - #38

Yup. Which is little more than recognizing that there is a strong magical aura at the foot of the relief. Fallon, casting the same, determines that the aura is a strong aura of conjuration, but she is unsure of subschool. She studies it without the spell, but given that knowledge, and she finally says. "Okay, this is a teleporter, but it is specific. You can't just touch Sorshen's foot, but you must kiss the feet ... your posture doesn't matter. It is a site-to-site teleportation, and I don't know where it leads, obviously. But site-to-site is usually very stable ... no appearing half into a floor or any silliness of the sort."

The Scribe hems and haws for a minute. "Well, it seems we all wanted to do this. What do we think? Either we kiss the feet ... and only individually at a time, obviously ... or we turn around and continue exploration above."
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't think my beak can 'kiss' anything," croaks Lilim with her vulturine beak. "But I say we toss pride to the side and get 'er done."
    Current Games

10. - Top - End - #40

Sinxia, Erima ... what do you do with this information?
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"If that's the only way, let's go."

She doesn't seem fine with that.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sinxia will nod softly. "It makes sense. Whether we want to or not, this is the best course of action" Sinxia has no problems going first if anyone else is hesitant.

13. - Top - End - #43

Well, everyone is understandably hesitant. But when Sinxia wriggles up there (not everyone is standing on the floor, some are on the stairs), The Scribe holds her off. "No, we can't go willy-nilly.

"Listen up, everybody. Assume we are going into hostile territory. Only one person can really get in there and kiss the feet at a time. This means that wherever this leads, only one person can show up at a time, and that person will be vulnerable. Rezah, you have various holy protections and heavy armor, will you go through first?"

Rezah nods. "I shall cast magic circle against evil on myself to further protect myself and the rest of us that come through."

"Good," the Scribe continues. "As soon as you get there, don't 'take stock' if you can help it. If at all possible, move forward enough to allow the next person to come through.

"Same for everyone else to go ... make sure you immediately step away to give room for the next. Here's the order: Rezah, Lilim, myself, Fallon (take flight immediately), Teofilo (same thing, take flight), Sinxia, and finally .... Erima."

Rezah casts his spell and he bends down, praying to Sarenrae to forgive him this small trespass. No sooner does he do so than he disappears.

Lilim, you go next? If so, Sinxia said she'd go. Erima, do you balk or go? Do any of you do anything before heading out? Lilim has no time (she goes NOW). Sinxia has four rounds to prepare, and Erima five.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Lilim heads through, and once through immediately tries to move in to make a beachhead.
    Current Games

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sinxia will hold her bow in one hand, keeping an arrow in her grip just in case, while waiting on the others to go. One Teofilo goes, she goes after, and immediately moves away and readies her bow on arrival.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Once Sinxia went through, Erima quickly follows, barely letting her time to move from the arrival spot.

17. - Top - End - #47

Spoiler: Erima
    Show
    No more than one person per round, and each person must kiss the foot. It was hard reading what you wrote to determine if that is what you did or if you tried "piggy-backing."

Once all are through ...

This stone platform overlooks an enormous watery cavern, whose walls are covered by phosphorescent lichen that provides modest, yet eerie illumination. Three rowboats are tied to stone posts on the dock’s northwestern side, while a carving of a leering demon extending a hand in greeting decorates the stone wall just to the north of the platform. A word has been carved into the stone wall just below the demonic carving.

The word carved under the statue is in Thassilonian, and reads "Farewell." The three rowboats are equipped with oars and can each accommodate three Medium creatures.

What do you do here at the platform? You seem to be at the northeastern extension of this waterway.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Lilim offers, "I recommend Fallom and Teofilo go make a quick look to see our options downstream."
    Current Games

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"Another three of those boats ? If there is another coffin at the end, by all means, let me kill it again. Except if one of you want to share my fate."

She looks into the boats, not planning to step into one before being sure it's safe. Or at least that it will bring her to her revenge.

20. - Top - End - #50

Since there are waterfalls practically right next to the platform (coming in from above), Erima has to shout to be heard. Teofilo and Fallon fly off into the darkness together and return a couple minutes later.

"Other than a sandy redoubt 40' to the west and 10' north, there is a stone platform to the southwest about 150' or so from here. This underground river or lake, as it is, continues southwest from there, and the width of the tunnel is a whopping 75' so one side couldn't see the other side," reports Fallon.

Teofilo adds, "It's not a big platform, though there is a post to tie off boats. There is a door there made of the same djezet alloy as we've seen elsewhere. I thought it was just a wall, but Fallon was able to find the door there."

She nods, "Yes, the decorations there have buttons hidden in them, and I think I can figure out which ones open the door, but I didn't want to mess with anything until we were all there."

The Scribe listens to the report, nodding. "Very well. Erima, I, and Lilim will take one boat; Fallon, Rezah, and Sinxia will take the other. Teofilo, you'll guide us in flight."

Is everyone fine with this?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2017-11-25 at 01:58 AM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Erima nods.

"Let's go."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Lilim is fine with this.
    Current Games

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sinxia will agree, ready to go.

24. - Top - End - #54

The party sets out as The Scribe set forth and you get to a stone platform extends from the cave wall, its floor a foot from the water surface. An immense red metal panel sits in the far wall, its face engraved with numerous scenes depicting a beautiful woman on a throne as numerous strange monsters bow before her. The Scribe easily recognizes the djezet alloy as used elsewhere. Teofilo and Fallon point out the part that is a door and not just a decoration. And like that door, the panels on its face (these depicts Sorshen using her magic to dominate all manner of powerful monsters, including giants, dragons, neothelids, sea monsters, mobogos, and the like) are essentially buttons. Pressing the central button, which depicts Sorshen dominating a giant, causes the panel to glow softly as Thassilonian writing appears along the panel’s upper edge, spelling the phrase (which The Scribe, Teofilo, and Fallon can tell the others), “And so do the mighty Architects serve eternal” as the door swings open.

This long, grand marble hall features a single row of pillars down its center. The vaulted ceiling thirty feet above is painted with lewd frescoes depicting giants and humans engaged in carnal acts set among pastoral scenes. To the south, the hall widens before rising up in a series of steps to a white marble throne. Six large treasure chests sit next to the throne. Seated on the throne is a giant with long tusks protruding from her mouth, with some type of lizards or dragons to each side of her. As she notices you, she stands and bellows, her large frame and the acoustics of the massive hall easily getting to the party so that it sounds like a titan shouting.

“You dare enter my throne room, little mortals! If you kneel to me now, I, Sorshen, shall call off my pets and eat only one of you!”

[I will be using initiative even though combat isn't officially joined, to determine the order of when people can act...]

Round One ...

R1T23: Sinxia, what do you wish to do? Do you wish to just go into combat, or to try some type of subterfuge (or recommend the same)?
    Spoiler: Picture of the Great Hall
    Show

Spoiler: Picture of "Sorshen"
    Show
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sinxia will look to the Scribe and Erima for their opinions before making any moves.

Spoiler
    Show
    Translation: I delay. Sinxia is unsure what the party wants to do, and doesn't want to shoot the giant in the eye if the party wants to attempt subterfuge

26. - Top - End - #56

R1T23: Sinxia will look to the Scribe and Erima for their opinions before making any moves.

R1T22: Fallon casts shield on herself, just in case, but likewise looks to Scribe and Erima.

R1T20: Erima, what do you do?
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Erima's knuckles turn white as she tightens her grip on her axe... if anyone wanted to speak before her, it's too late, as she answers loud and clear :

"You have something that belong to me, and you dare ask us to bend the knee ? All you will get from us is steel ! Cold, bloodstaind, harsh steel."

At those words, she starts advancing toward "Sorshen", as she never even acknowledged prudence.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    It won't matter right now, but that's an intimidate attempt. Not yet raging (which would mean +2 to intimidate). Then moving straight forward with my move action.

(1d20+28)[33]

28. - Top - End - #58

R1T20: Erima's knuckles turn white as she tightens her grip on her axe... if anyone wanted to speak before her, it's too late, as she answers loud and clear: "You have something that belong to me, and you dare ask us to bend the knee ? All you will get from us is steel ! Cold, bloodstained, harsh steel."

At those words, she starts advancing toward "Sorshen", as she never even acknowledged prudence. And though she may try to hide it with whatever bluster, that definitely shakes "Sorshen."

R1T21: The Scribe takes out a wand as he moves, and when he gets up to Erima, he uses it on himself.

R1T13: Teofilo flies in and casts magic circle against evil on The Scribe. He is 5' off the ground.

R1T9: Lilim, Erima called it, so it's on. What do you do?
    Spoiler: Battle Map
    Show

Sinxia, you are delaying; do you do anything?
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Lilim moves forward and says, "I'll get her out of her comfort zone. If she and her lizards persist there, we are better at handling sleet storm I think."
    Spoiler
    Show
    MA: She moves forward 30', putting her one square north of Erima.
    SA: She casts sleet storm. The intersection is the corner of the proscenium thrust most northwards of the dais (yay, theater geek terms). That should encompass that entire northern area in uncomfortable snow and ice for Sourshen.
    Current Games

30. - Top - End - #60

R1T9: Lilim moves forward and says, "I'll get her out of her comfort zone. If she and her lizards persist there, we are better at handling sleet storm I think."

Lilim casts her spells, and the entire southern chamber, and most of the middle chamber, is covered in a storm of driving sleet storm that obscures sight (blocking even darkvision). "Sorshen's" anguished yell can be heard from deep within.
    Spoiler: ALCON
    Show
    Everything south of that dotted blue line is affected by sleet storm (see hyperlink for details).

R1T8: With a big giant thing in the mix, Rezah knows his job as a healer will be important this battle. He casts sanctuary on himself and moves forward.

R1T7-5: It is unknown what is happening within the sleet storm, and you no longer know the position of the enemy.

End Round One, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T22:
    Fallon casts another spell on herself and zooms forward.

R2T20: Erima, you know the spell sleet storm, including that if you go inside it you will be unable to see anything. It is useful in herding enemies towards you, though, with the possible humiliation that some fall in the attempt. What do you do?

Sinxia, you've been delaying this entire time. What do you do?
    Spoiler: Battle Map (you technically see nothing south of the blue dotted line)
    Show

The Scribe on deck, Teofilo in the hole ...
    Show