New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Shattered Star II: Curse of the Lady's Light (IC)

Fallon says, "Okay, we'll just have her guard here."

The group does a quick check of the three northern and three southern doors, and those are the individual quarters of the six Gray Maidens that were here. Nothing much of value. All of their value was tied up in their weapons and armor.

There are crates in here, though, containing the Gray Maidens' diminishing food supplies, along with camping gear, rope, tools to repair armor, and other miscellaneous supplies. Some of the crates contain extra armor and weapons; in all, there are four suits of full plate, six heavy steel shields, three masterwork longswords, three light crossbows, and 120 bolts in these crates. One of the crates is locked, which Fallon easily picks despite it being a quality lock. It contains thousands of gold.

So, do you count the gold now? Does anyone have need of any of the supplies that you find?
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rezah will take some crossbow bolts to add to his stash.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

3. - Top - End - #213

Fallon has her new friend guard here while the group intends to move forward. The door to the east is checked clear and then opened. The air in this room is almost uncomfortably warm and filled with steam. A grand, tiled bathing pool, the waters steaming hot, sits at the center of the room, while two large red panels stand in the east and west walls.

Oh, and four Gray Maidens, waiting for you.

Round One ...

R1T21:
    "Make them come to us!" shouts Teofilo, and he throws up a wind wall right at the opening.

R1T18: Erima, for them to come into this room to the party, you will have to back up some (it is assumed you were providing door-opener cover to The Scribe). What do you do?
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Erima, calm so far, steps back to let them come.

"I'm pretty sure they heard that..."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So yes, basically, stepping back to let the maidens advance.
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

5. - Top - End - #215

R1T18: Erima, calm so far, steps back to let them come. "I'm pretty sure they heard that..."

R1T16: GM1 steps through the whistling wind wall and attacks the flat-footed Lilim, but her sword bounces off the tiefling's breastplate.

R1T15: The Scribe steps back and feints, using Rezah's bulk to make it hard to see where his point will be, and then attacks, but the Gray Maiden blocks the shot.

R1T14: Fallon casts a buff on herself, and then flies to 10' altitude.

R1T9: Rezah, what do you do?
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rezah swings his Scimitar dangerously into the standing Gray Maiden, hoping to strike her down quickly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full Attack

Attack 1 (1d20+10)[24]
    Damage (1d6+2)[7]

Attack 2 (1d20+5)[17]
    Damage (1d6+2)[8]
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

7. - Top - End - #217

R1T9: Rezah swings his scimitar dangerously into the standing Gray Maiden, hoping to strike her down quickly. The first strike hits her in the right underarm for 7, but the second attack is blocked by her high-quality full plate.
    Spoiler: meemaas
    Show
    It is not lost on me that right now, you are in two different campaigns where there are Gray Maidens as antagonists.

R1T7: Lilim steps behind Rezah to get the best sense of the next room's occupants, and figures GM2 is as good a target as any. Shet lets loose with a barrage of four magic missiles that hit her for 13 force.

R1T6-4: GM4 rushes from the back to try and push Rezah back, but the half-orc holds fast. GM2 tries to come through, but The Scribe attacks, and when he does so both GM1 and GM4 block this thrust to protect GM2. She continues through and Rezah attacks but swings wildly, even as The Scribe thrusts again to hit her in the shield elbow for 17. Now badly wounded, GM2 attacks Erima, but she has run out of steam and Erima blocks the attack. GM3 comes around the corner and through the roaring batter to then juke south to get to the Scribe, but again he attacks, this time with a kick that only hits armor. She cuts with a crit to the scholar's chest for 17!

End Round One, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T21:
    Teofilo plays his lyre to give 12 back to The Scribe.

R2T18: Erima, you have a Gray Maiden in front of you. What do you do?

GM1 on deck, The Scribe in the hole ...
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Now angry, Erima screams incoherently at the nearby Gray Maiden.

Show
    Entering rage, then trying to intimidate nearby GM. If it works, attack as immediate action (with power attack).
    Intimidate - (1d20+36)[45]
    Attack - (1d20+13)[19]
    Damage - (1d12+19)[25]
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

9. - Top - End - #219

R2T18: Now angry, Erima screams incoherently at the nearby Gray Maiden. This obviously rattles the woman as she desperately protects herself from Erima's strike with her shield.
    Spoiler: Erima
    Show
    Just to be clear, it is a SwA, not an IA. Using a SwA on this round only uses it for this round. Once your turn is over, then when it is not your turn you have an IA open until your next turn. If you use an IA by your next turn (one what, exactly?), then you won't have a SwA open next turn.

Also, your weapons chart is now updated for your rage, and I included that in your attack roll, but it still wasn't quite enough.

R2T16: GM1 attacks Rezah with all the power she can muster, but the paladin blocks with this shield.

R2T15: Not used to being hit in combat, The Scribe steps back and uses his ranseur carefully as he assesses GM3. He then tries to disarm her, but finds her blade control to good, so he stabs instead and she dodges.

R2T14: Fallon acrobatically flies over to just north of GM2 and stabs her under the right arm with Silverfang for 21, which drops the Gray Maiden.

R2T9: Rezah, what do you do?

Lilim on deck, GM4 in the hole ...
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220

R2T9: Facing off against three Gray Maidens, Rezah figures it is time to put a little more than just a sword-swing. He effortlessly concentrates on the spell in the melee, his scimitar on his shield hand, and after his prayer a black aura surrounds his hand and he attacks the Gray Maiden in front of him. As he does so, the Gray Maiden to each side of his target try to block the attack, but still not enough to stop a touch attack. Rezah briefly clasps GM4's shield-arm bicep as the dark energy goes into her and she suffers 21 negative energy.

R2T7: Lilim takes a step back and sends acidic splatter at GM4, just barely missing to keep from hitting friendlies.

R2T6-4: GM4 salutes Rezah before attacking, giving a half-hearted challenge. She attacks powerfully, but Rezah (sword back in hand) deflects. GM3 rushes forth to try and bull rush The Scribe, but is easily rebuffed.

End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

R3T21:
    His herding maneuver complete, Teofilo keeps position in the air and dispels his wind wall.

R3T18: Erima, you are currently raging. What do you do?

Show

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Erima advances into the fight, and unleashes her anger through two strikes.

Show
    So, 5 foot step directly right, then full attack, starting on GM1. If she drops, second attack on GM4. Using destined strike on second attack, and power attack on both.

Attack 1 - (1d20+15)[30]
    Damage 1 - (1d12+22)[29]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+13)[23]
    Damage 2 - (1d12+22)[27]

12. - Top - End - #222

R3T18: Erima advances into the fight, and unleashes her anger through two strikes. The first hits GM1 in her left shin for a devastating 29, yet she still stands. The next strike seems like it is destined to hit, but GM4 blocks Erima's axe enough to skim off of GM1's armor instead of go through! Still, GM1 is in a bad way.

R3T16: GM1 steps back, drops her sword, takes out a potion, and downs it, which heals 5.

R3T15: The Scribe is focused on GM3. He steps back 5' and then tries to disarm his opponent, and this time succeeding. He thrusts with his weapon, but she blocks it with her shield.

R3T14: Fallon is right there with a spell to further foil GM3, and GM3 falls onto the floor, laughing hysterically.

R3T9: Rezah, to the right of you is a fallen, weaponless (well, she does have a shield), laughing GM3 (not helpless). In front of you is GM4, who seems to have a half-hearted focus on you. What do you do?

Lilim on deck, GM4 in the hole ...
    Show

13. - Top - End - #223

R3T9: Rezah prays to Sarenrae to smite his enemies, and then he defensively casts a spell. From the ceiling down to Rezah himself comes a great glow, his cheek with Sarenrae's mark brighter than anything, and then the room and beyond is filled with a holy power that envelops all but Fallon's charmed Gray Maiden that is standing at alert on the western side of the hall. Teofilo and Rezah are completely unharmed. Everyone else, friend and foe alike, take damage as follows...
    Spoiler: Holy Smite!
    Show
    Erima: 4 holy damage (HD).
    GM1: 3 HD.
    The Scribe: 4 HD.
    Fallon: 7 HD.
    Lilim: 3 HD.
    GM4: 6 HD.
    GM2: DEAD.
    GM3: 6 HD.
    "I am sorry," says Rezah simply, not realizing that his friends were all neutral, and so is the enemy. But not evil does not equal not hostile, and he readies his scimitar for more battle.

R3T7: Lilim shakes off the little shock of friendly fire. "It's fine, Rezah. You didn't know. I know what you cast, and I know why you did it, but our fight is one of order against disorder, not evil against chaos." And to that end she steps up to the prone, laughing Gray Maiden. She curb stomps the head for 11, and again with the other foot for 12, and the Maiden's head starts to bleed. She claws the belly for 7, the right shoulder for 9, and bites the right thigh for 11. The Gray Maiden laughs no more, and never will again.

R3T6: GM4 steps back into the other room, drops her sword, takes out a potion, and drinks it for 4 healing.

End Round 3, Begin Round 4 ...

R4T21:
    Teofilo drops down 5' towards Fallon, effectively hovering, and casts a healing spell on her to fully heal her.

R4T18: Erima, you are currently raging, and both enemies went into the other room, dropping their swords, and taking weak healing potions. What do you do?

Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Erima closes the gap with the remaining guards and strikes once again : they might have dropped weapons, but they are gulping potions before surrendering... not that she would have cared.

Show
    So either five foot step or move action to get within melee range of the closest GM, then attack with PA and full attack if possible.

Attack 1 - (1d20+15)[31]
    Attack 1 - (1d12+22)[32]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+10)[23]
    Attack 1 - (1d12+22)[26]

15. - Top - End - #225

R4T18: Erima closes the gap with the remaining guards and strikes once again : they might have dropped weapons, but they are gulping potions before surrendering... not that she would have cared. Her axe comes deep into the left shoulder of GM4, dropping her with 32.

R4T16: GM1 steps back a few feet, picking up the sword from the ground, and she readies herself defensively.

R4T15: The Scribe shoots into the opened breech, and then all the way around the pool from the south to threaten with his ranseur from the east.

R4T14: Fallon comes in from the other way. She isn't flanking, but the last Gray Maiden is sorely pressed. Fallon stabs the Gray Maiden in the lower shield arm for 3.

R4T9: Rezah follows The Scribe at a distance.

R4T7: Lilim moves right in over the edge of the pool and bites the Gray Maiden in the sword hand for 14, dropping her.

End Round 4, Begin Round 5 ...

R5T21:
    Erima, you are raging with power attack. You saw the last active enemy drop. What do you do?
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

As everyone is down, Erima stops raging and start exploring the newly opened room.

17. - Top - End - #227

The air in this room is almost uncomfortably warm and filled with steam. A grand, tiled bathing pool, the waters steaming hot, sits at the center of the room, while two large red panels stand in the east and west walls (you came from the west, and the panel is currently open). The waters of the bathing pool are hot and scented with lilac and lavender.

The Scribe performs a coup de grace on GM1, and a quick check will reveal all Gray Maidens have been killed (minus, of course, Fallon's "pet" in the other room). Rezah will channel energy to top everyone off.

From the Gray Maidens you fought in this group, they had a total of:
    (4) suits of Masterwork Gray Maiden (full) plate
    (4) heavy steel shields
    (4) masterwork longswords
    (4) light crossbows
    (40) bolts
    (7) potions of cure light wounds
    (4) large belt pouches
    (120) gold pieces

Erima hasn't found anything else of interest in here. The Scribe and Fallon, however, find a secret door on the center of the south wall here. And, of course, there is a red panel to the east, which by now you know is a door.

The Scribe asks for a status check from everyone. Teofilo says he only a couple spells remaining, and is otherwise tired and wants to rest. Fallon has gone through half of her arcanist magic. Lilim states she has several mid-range spells, but otherwise her least and most powerful spells are at a premium. Rezah has only a couple more channels remaining, and has used pretty much all of his more powerful spells.

Fallon will have the charmed Gray Maiden remove her armor, and then she will be bound and gagged in one of the chairs. Since there is a magical bathing pool in the next room, The Scribe, Lilim, and Rezah are very much about "to the victor go the spoils" and cleaning grime and gore off. Which would no doubt lead to eating food and having rest.

Erima, are you fine with hanging out here?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Not planning to press on alone, Erima approves.

19. - Top - End - #229

The dead Gray Maidens are actually stripped of their gear as well (perhaps before bathing). If you can manage to transport all of that armor (let alone the rest), this trip might begin paying for itself (finally), though it can never replace the loss of Sinxia.

After the various baths, Rezah will help tutor Teofilo in developing his divine magic. Fallon will be writing notes on magical construction.

The Scribe will show Lilim some wrestling techniques, as Erima practices trying to use her detect thoughts. Though both of the wrestlers prove to strong of mind for her, yet Erima is able to determine that, if used on a lesser mind, she might be able to predict the combat patterns of the "read" opponent.

The party goes to sleep, with Erima needing no sleep and taking the watch.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230

18 Calistril 4714 AR, Toilday

The next morning, considering the Scribe's long-term healing ministrations the night before, Erima's wounds have healed overnight while she stood the watch.

Erima, you had cast off the mithral chain shirt you had borrowed from the late Sinxia and dropped it on the beach. Do you go out to the beach (accompanied, no doubt) and take the mithral chain shirt as your own armor .... or stay unprotected?
    Show

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Better safe than sorry, Erima goes to the beach to grab the shirt, then prepares to move to the rest of the exploration.

22. - Top - End - #232

The secret door to the south is checked and opened. The group gets into 10'-wide formation to match the corridor. The corridor goes 20' south before taking a right to the west. Another 15' and the corridor again continues south for yet another 15' before turning a slight jog east and continuing south to a set of double doors. The Scribe finds a secret door on the north wall when the corridor takes a jog. The secret door is checked and opened.

This black marble-walled chamber’s ceiling is lost in a layer of shimmering black fog, while a long golden rug runs down the center of the room on the floor. A rectangular block of polished stone, black with fat blood-red streaks, sits at the eastern end of the rug. Several objects sit atop this stone, and the cinnamon-scented air is filled with a strange, nagging hum like that of a swarm of buzzing insects. The wall beyond the altar stone is decorated with a detailed mural of a voluptuous demonic woman with bat wings, a serrated tail, legs of molten stone, and a crown of seven horns. Both of her hands are held out to her sides, palms turned up toward the ceiling—a globe of blackness hovers above each palm.

As soon as Fallon steps into the room, tendrils of black fog drip down from the spooky black fog to form the room's guardians - jet black dogs.

Begin Round One ...

R1T24-21:
    SM1 lets out a terrifying, baying howl. SM3 quickly follows with a howl of its own.

Erima, make two Will saves vs. fear. You get a +4 morale bonus because Rezah is so damned inspiring.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233

R1T20: Rezah moves into the secret shrine.

R1T19: Teofilo flies into the room beyond. He shouts out: "Three shadow mastiffs. Evil, extraplanar outsiders. They are prodigiously strong and hardy, but rather dull-witted. They are popular bound guardians for sites hidden from the sun. Which tells me what might work best against them!"

He is heard casting a spell, and Erima sees a flash of light from in the room.

R1T16: "I concur!" shouts the Scribe so those outside can hear. "Their bay can be heard for 300' and strikes fear into lesser people. They can blend into the shadows of anything other than total darkness or actual daylight, though, so get ready for a longer fight."

R1T15-14: It is very possible that The Scribe's comments regarding "lesser people" was rather insensitive. Fallon drops her sword in pure panic and flies north back up the way you came. Lilim follows her, likewise terrifed. Erima finds herself alone with no ally in sight.

R1T13: Erima, what do you do?
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Erima rushes toward the thick of the battle and prepares to axe stuff down, rumbling about having to take care of her allies when positioning.

Show
    So basically double move to the square above Rezah.

25. - Top - End - #235

R1T13: Erima rushes toward the thick of the battle and prepares to axe stuff down, rumbling about having to take care of her allies when positioning.

R1T12: Erima sees that the creature she is squared off against seems to be wounded (but not the other two). It seems to have been stabbed (likely the Scribe) and has suffered some type of ... burn? SM2 gives forth its own baleful howl.

End Round One, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T24:
    SM1 moves forward 5'. Although shaped like a dog its coat drinks up the light, drawing shadows in around it. Its maw is filled with sharp teeth, and a wisp of shadow drips from its writhing tongue. It bites Erima in her upper left arm for 13 and wags about to try to drop her. Erima notices its thick tail, if it struck her, could probably do some damage as well.

R2T21: SM3 attacks Rezah but misses.

R2T20: Rezah steps back, and then casts protection from evil on himself.

R2T19: Teofilo casts invisibility on himself and disappears from view.

R2T16: The Scribe fakes out SM3 and stabs it for 23.

R2T15: Fallon flies into the room after quite a hustle.

R2T13: Erima, what do you do?

Mastiffs on deck and in the hole ...
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Screaming one last coherent sentence as her anger overwhelms her, Erima strikes back at the mastiff.

"I am the one you should fear !"

Show
    So, let's enter rage, then let's start with hurtful, so intimidate on SM1, then attack if it's shaken, with power attack.

Intimidate - (1d20+39)[45]

Attack - (1d20+15)[16]

Damage - (1d12+22)[33]

27. - Top - End - #237

R2T13: Screaming one last coherent sentence as her anger overwhelms her, Erima strikes back at the mastiff. "I am the one you should fear!"

Erima is so wild in her attack, that she ends up cutting herself, taking 6 bleed!

R2T12: SM2 moves south of Erima, and she is now flanked. Confident of its position it tries to put power into its own attacks, but also fumbles and its hurtself ... its future attacks a little off. Surprisingly, it gets a tail slap, but that fares little better.

End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

R3T24:
    SM1 attacks the flanked Erima. Intimidated by Erima, its attacks are less powerful than SM2's. It bites Erima's left lower leg for 12 and knocks her prone. Its tail slap fumbles against Erima, and its ego is so bruised from that terrible attack combined with its fear that it seems hyper-focused in its aggression on Erima!

R3T21: SM3 adjust slightly, and is now over the fallen faux Sorshen. It goes for powerful attacks, and bites Erima for 13 in the left shoulder, followed by a tail slap for 11 in her groin. Erima is now in the yellow.

R3T20: Rezah steps back and casts heroism on himself.

R3T19: A disembodied voice that you recognize as Teofilo is just above Erima, whispering "I am trying to do what I can to heal you, but I have no real training since you are immune to magical forms."

You can feel him trying to staunch the bleeding, but not meeting with success.

R3T16: The Scribe steps back and tries to feint SM2, then thrusts for 14.

R3T15: Fallon acrobatically repositions so that SM1 is now flanked by Erima. She stabs with a sneaky crit for 22, bewildering it.

R3T14: No sign of Lilim ...

R3T13: Erima, you take 8 bleed and are prone. What do you do?

Shadow mastiffs on deck and in the hole ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-07-20 at 01:47 PM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Standing back up, further angered by her fall, Erima tries again to hack at the shadow mastiff.

"Just die die die !"

Show
    So standing back up as a MA, triggering 3 AoOs, then attacking SM1 with power attack. (also, apparently, rage is not counted on my sheet)

Attack - (1d20+15)[32]

Damage - (1d12+19)[24]

29. - Top - End - #239

R3T13: Standing back up, further angered by her fall, Erima tries again to hack at the shadow mastiff. Before she is fully up, however, SM1 bites her for left knee for 11, SM3 bites her in the left shoulder for 14, and SM2 bites her in the head for 18. Barely on her feet, she shouts, "Just die die die!" while hacking at SM1 for 27.

R3T12: SM2 then bites Erima in the belly for 12, and even with Erima's raging constitution, that is enough for her to fall. Then, with her rage leaving her body, Erima expires.

Everything Goes Dark ...
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamagic Mod: thread re-opened.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)