New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimisation Challenge in the Playground LXXXVI

I reread the book. Is there an actual mechanical way of boosting your affiliation score like with the paragnostic assembly, or do we all just say 'we did a lot of stuff for other ebon cabalists, and then we entered twisted lord" ?
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    I reread the book. Is there an actual mechanical way of boosting your affiliation score like with the paragnostic assembly, or do we all just say 'we did a lot of stuff for other ebon cabalists, and then we entered twisted lord" ?
    Based on the table posted earlier, the maximum mechanical affiliation score you can get if you're taking 10 levels in twisted lord is 6 (1/2* PC level +1 for being a rogue/sorcerer/wizard) This is less if you enter at a level lower than 10, as I expect some people will likely do, so I think all contestants will likely have to say something along the lines of 'we did some stuff for the ebon cabal'.
    You might lose some points if you used some trick to enter twisted lord really early, which would mean you'd have had to do a lot of favors to the ebon cabal at low level (I'm not sure how hard securing that gate is, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn it would be extremely challenging for a level 4 character). I'm no judge, of course, so this is just speculation.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    Third question: does Peripheral Invisibility break on performing an attack? Based on the wording I don't think so (it just says it lasts till the end of the round, with no other conditions, but I wanted to check).
    no. you just gain the "invisible" status. it doesn't say "as per the spell 'invisibility,' " so you don't act as though it does.

Based on the table posted earlier, the maximum mechanical affiliation score you can get if you're taking 10 levels in twisted lord is 6 (1/2* PC level +1 for being a rogue/sorcerer/wizard) This is less if you enter at a level lower than 10, as I expect some people will likely do, so I think all contestants will likely have to say something along the lines of 'we did some stuff for the ebon cabal'.
    You might lose some points if you used some trick to enter twisted lord really early, which would mean you'd have had to do a lot of favors to the ebon cabal at low level (I'm not sure how hard securing that gate is, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn it would be extremely challenging for a level 4 character). I'm no judge, of course, so this is just speculation.

I missed darrin's post earlier. thanks for pointing it out. what section is that from? I don't have that bit in my copy.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

I missed darrin's post earlier. thanks for pointing it out. what section is that from? I don't have that bit in my copy.
    It's on page 19 of the Campaign Guide.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

How in the nine hells did I miss this?

Whatever, subscribing.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Iron Chef Optimisation Challenge in the Playground LXXXVI

Since things starting to look up on the horrible situation I've been going through in my work life, and I'm currently on a break from DMing, I really want to get an entry in for this one.

Hope to have the bulk of it completely before the end of the weekend!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    How in the nine hells did I miss this?

Whatever, subscribing.
    I would love to enter a recipe some day, but i would have to get over my embarrassment. So many master optimizers here.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bean illus View Post
    I would love to enter a recipe some day, but i would have to get over my embarrassment. So many master optimizers here.
    Do it. You're better than you think

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    This. Keep in mind we're all working with the same (generally awful) ingredient, and that half the battle is just putting a build out there. No matter where they place on the final standings, everyone who cooks is a master chef in my opinion.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

10. - Top - End - #40

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    This. Keep in mind we're all working with the same (generally awful) ingredient, and that half the battle is just putting a build out there. No matter where they place on the final standings, everyone who cooks is a master chef in my opinion
    Maybe if i got two weeks advance notice, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    You're just being nice. I dare you to find one good build or gimmick from me. lol.

I have an idea or two for this round, but it would take me weeks to research it (I've never been able to get damage out of a build).

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

You're just being nice. I dare you to find one good build or gimmick from me. lol.
    Well, we can't find any if you don't put anything out there.

Don't like that paraphrased platitude? Here's another one: You can't succeed if you don't try.

Seriously, I'm no august and learned 3.5 scholar. I'm certainly not that good as far as optimization goes. But I've managed to sneak a few medals here and there over the years. And most of that was sheer determination. Heck, one of my favorite builds (that I have built) placed silver (and believe me, it had no business doing so) just based on sheer entertainment value. As far as optimization went, it wasn't really anything special.

So give it a shot!
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

You're just being nice. I dare you to find one good build or gimmick from me.
    I've just submitted my build, and I wouldn't call myself an expert optimizer by any stretch, so worst case scenario, you can join me for the participation medal :P.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Iron Chef is best learned by doing, and honestly, no one is going to make a fuss about an uninspiring build. I've submitted more than a few builds that ranked in the bottom half, but no one remembers them unless I remind them (or unless I took Honorable Mention, which has been my goal more than once). But you never know—you might come up with something amazing. We've had rookie medalists before. It's not even that uncommon, if for no other reason than that the fresh perspective might help you avoid some ruts that the regulars don't realize they're in.

As far as what I'm doing this round, this ingredient is definitely singing to me, but I don't have any ideas that seem non-obvious. That, and I'm way more busy than I expected to be, though I might have about a week off before I need to start studying for my next exam (if anyone is familiar with the CPCU insurance designation, that's what I'm working on. If you're not familiar with it, don't bother looking it up, because you'll find it boring unless you're in the insurance biz). No promises, but I'm hopeful that I'll stumble across an idea when I least expect it.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Iron Chef Optimisation Challenge in the Playground LXXXVI

I've got the basics done.

Was there the normal amount of cooking time for this one? Feels quite short.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I've got the basics done.

Was there the normal amount of cooking time for this one? Feels quite short.
    yeah, two weeks is standard. probably since may has 30 days?

Iron Chef Medals!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

yeah, two weeks is standard. probably since may has 30 days?
    Um, that's not how May works.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

17. - Top - End - #47
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Um, that's not how May works.
    I double-checked; May has 30 days. It even has an additional day

In other news, Vizzini is actively pointing and laughing at my build idea.

ETA: The copy of Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde I'm looking at does not explicitly include the "even if you do not meet the prerequisites" verbiage for the Improved Feint Bonus Feat. Do we need the prerequisite?
    Last edited by Amphetryon; 2017-06-03 at 02:24 PM.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    ETA: The copy of Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde I'm looking at does not explicitly include the "even if you do not meet the prerequisites" verbiage for the Improved Feint Bonus Feat. Do we need the prerequisite?
    Oh, good point. I assume it's allowed to sent in an updated version of a build if something like this comes up?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

annoyed Re: Iron Chef Optimisation Challenge in the Playground LXXXVI

Chuggin away - not sure how much more I will get done before the end of Sunday.

Wish I had have read the actual date earlier instead of assuming I had longer. I fear I won't have anything but the bare skeleton done by the time of reveal. I'll see how I'm going, and may plead an extension when the deadline gets closer.

20. - Top - End - #50

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    Well, we can't find any if you don't put anything out there.

Don't like that paraphrased platitude? Here's another one: You can't succeed if you don't try.

Seriously, I'm no august and learned 3.5 scholar. I'm certainly not that good as far as optimization goes. But I've managed to sneak a few medals here and there over the years. And most of that was sheer determination. Heck, one of my favorite builds (that I have built) placed silver (and believe me, it had no business doing so) just based on sheer entertainment value. As far as optimization went, it wasn't really anything special.

So give it a shot!
    I've just submitted my build, and I wouldn't call myself an expert optimizer by any stretch, so worst case scenario, you can join me for the participation medal :P.
    I will probably do so someday, when i get the secret ingredient early enough and have less work that week.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Chuggin away - not sure how much more I will get done before the end of Sunday.

Wish I had have read the actual date earlier instead of assuming I had longer. I fear I won't have anything but the bare skeleton done by the time of reveal. I'll see how I'm going, and may plead an extension when the deadline gets closer.
    I'm running uncharacteristically behind as well. Would an extension of a day or two please the chair?

Iron Chef Medals!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

I'm running uncharacteristically behind as well. Would an extension of a day or two please the chair?
    I'd like at least until the weekend, but I understand that may not be reasonable.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

I certainly wouldn't mind an extension.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

I'd like at least until the weekend, but I understand that may not be reasonable.
    I had an idea. And then screwed it all up so that the combo didn't actually work.
    But now I think I may have found a good fix.

So, I'd also be fully in favor of an extension through the weekend.
    Spoiler: Op Awards
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55

I hope people do not mind me butting in like this, but I think it’s important for me to state just how much I respect this thread, the people who run it, and the people who participate in it, especially the veterans. Whilst the Weekly Optimization Showcase from back in the day has helped me with strong and partially somewhat builds (I love Edge of Light as well as Slash and Burn in particular). I love the sheer creativity on display during these threads and how people are turning even some of the most convoluted of Prestige Classes into a build that functions amazingly.

From the guy who continuously floats in a 10ft Astral Bubble to a monk who charges by falling, three times a turn. From a Weasel who attaches as a Bear to a Lance thrower who teleports next to his foes. The creativity and flavour of these characters are amazing, and I cannot wait to see where else the Iron Chef challenge may take us. Even if I do not have the game knowledge needed to become to join the ranks of an Iron Chef, or a judge to help show my appreciation, I hope people do not mind if I stick around to watch

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    I hope people do not mind me butting in like this, but I think it’s important for me to state just how much I respect this thread, the people who run it, and the people who participate in it, especially the veterans. Whilst the Weekly Optimization Showcase from back in the day has helped me with strong and partially somewhat builds (I love Edge of Light as well as Slash and Burn in particular). I love the sheer creativity on display during these threads and how people are turning even some of the most convoluted of Prestige Classes into a build that functions amazingly.

From the guy who continuously floats in a 10ft Astral Bubble to a monk who charges by falling, three times a turn. From a Weasel who attaches as a Bear to a Lance thrower who teleports next to his foes. The creativity and flavour of these characters are amazing, and I cannot wait to see where else the Iron Chef challenge may take us. Even if I do not have the game knowledge needed to become to join the ranks of an Iron Chef, or a judge to help show my appreciation, I hope people do not mind if I stick around to watch
    I don't think anyone's going to mind you butting in, friend.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #57

Also, very glad that you started linking the builds as well. I can't believe you didn't do so for the first 70+ threads through, going to make checking up on the winning builds that much harder...

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Also, very glad that you started linking the builds as well. I can't believe you didn't do so for the first 70+ threads through, going to make checking up on the winning builds that much harder...
    ...let me guess, new to here? You've missed a lot.

By the way, welcome!

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    ...let me guess, new to here? You've missed a lot.

By the way, welcome!
    ... Did the post not make that clear?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

... Did the post not make that clear?
    Eh, I don't think I have ranks in Sense Motive, if you catch my drift.

Extended sig here.