New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 7: Psychopomp and Circumstance

Well, the shirt's going to need some work.

That's it, Surma, blame him for your actions. (eye roll)

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Well, the shirt's going to need some work.

That's it, Surma, blame him for your actions. (eye roll)
    The reason is pretty much what I was expecting, and totally unsurprising for teenagers (or barely older than that). Eglamore neglected Surma in favor of his training, leaving her feeling lonely and uncared for. One of the reasons she went on the trip in the first place because Eglamore was going to be away in training for over a month and didn't want to be bored by herself. The earlier flashback indicates that Eglamore is never around, and that Surma has already started falling out of love with him as a result. She says "Sometimes I think Donnie misses Jim more than I do", which is not really a good sign for a developing relationship.

I'm not saying that Surma is in the right by essentially cheating* on him with Tony, but Eglamore is hardly without fault for his relationship with Surma deteriorating.

*Is it cheating if you unilaterally decide to change boyfriends, and are up front about it as soon as possible?

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    *Is it cheating if you unilaterally decide to change boyfriends, and are up front about it as soon as possible?
    Yes? Break up before you make out with the next guy

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Gah, when are the high school dramatics going to be over?
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Yes? Break up before you make out with the next guy
    And when the person you want to break up with is away, and you don't know when they'll return and have no way of contacting them? What then?

Ideally yes, break up first, then go after the next person. Under the circumstances that we actually saw, I have a hard time blaming Surma very much for how she handled it. She fell in love with Tony and decided to pursue it while he was out of his shell instead of waiting until he was back at the Court and withdrawn into himself again. When they got back, she told Eglamore at the earliest opportunity.

It's not like Eglamore would have reacted any better if she'd waited.

Relationships are messy things. I don't feel like we can sit in judgement of anything that's transpired.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

I definitely think Surma is not in the wrong here. She has full autonomy over her choices of romantic partners, and she can decide to leave Eglamore for any bloody reason at all if she wants too; "you're away all the time" is a fair enough reason, I think.

And she's been as up front about this as I think she could be. I don't think Tony was in the wrong at all, either, given that he didn't realize that Surma was into him until she showed him quite expressly, and his first reaction was literally "but what about Jimmy-Jims", which Surma waved off.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

7. - Top - End - #337
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    I definitely think Surma is not in the wrong here. She has full autonomy over her choices of romantic partners, and she can decide to leave Eglamore for any bloody reason at all if she wants too; "you're away all the time" is a fair enough reason, I think.

And she's been as up front about this as I think she could be. I don't think Tony was in the wrong at all, either, given that he didn't realize that Surma was into him until she showed him quite expressly, and his first reaction was literally "but what about Jimmy-Jims", which Surma waved off.
    This is entirely true, but I still want to see James punch Tony's face in.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

If at all possible, she should have broken the news privately, rather than just making a public announcement. Yes, Surma and Tony would have gotten off the plane together, but they didn't need to act like they were dating until after Surma had a chance to tell James. Granted, that would have been awkward and it could conceivably been so awkward that it was necessary to tell James publicly, but that's unlikely.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-10-27 at 08:29 AM.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ettin in the Playground

WELP! I take back a lot of what I said about Surma. No wonder poor Antimony has issues with communication, yikes.

I don't think it is infringing upon one's autonomy if they agree to an exclusive relationship and fail to meet standards expected of such. Basically, if she agreed to date James, she should have followed through with it and broke up in a non-public place, away from his friends and BEFORE SHE BANGED ANOTHER PERSON. Either go through with it it completely or don't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

10. - Top - End - #340

Griffon

I don't think Surma has acted really either right or wrong when she hooked up with Tony on the trip. Yes, breaking up first is the better way to do it, but like many have stated, there was no way of contacting James at the time. This case is on the grey area, and people will have their own opinions on the matter, and I can see their point too, but IMHO not 'waiting' in this case was not that horrible of an offense.

However, I find it curious that no one here has yet criticized James for reacting apparently violently towards Tony. Even if one's feelings have been hurt, and even if Surma and Tony were fully in the wrong, that is no excuse for violence. Though tbf, James has just only grabbed Tony, he still has time to regain his composure.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Does anyone else think that Zimmy and Mrs. Donlan might have a similar condition? They both share the pure black eyes (though Mrs. Donlan's have cleaner borders)
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2017-10-27 at 01:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

12. - Top - End - #342

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    However, I find it curious that no one here has yet criticized James for reacting apparently violently towards Tony. Even if one's feelings have been hurt, and even if Surma and Tony were fully in the wrong, that is no excuse for violence.
    Well, it IS Tony...

Though tbf, James has just only grabbed Tony, he still has time to regain his composure.
    Yeah, I'm actually expecting this to be some sort of fake out where James is just going to threaten Tony if he hurts her or something.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Then don't look close.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    I don't think Surma has acted really either right or wrong when she hooked up with Tony on the trip. Yes, breaking up first is the better way to do it, but like many have stated, there was no way of contacting James at the time. This case is on the grey area, and people will have their own opinions on the matter, and I can see their point too, but IMHO not 'waiting' in this case was not that horrible of an offense.

However, I find it curious that no one here has yet criticized James for reacting apparently violently towards Tony. Even if one's feelings have been hurt, and even if Surma and Tony were fully in the wrong, that is no excuse for violence. Though tbf, James has just only grabbed Tony, he still has time to regain his composure.
    It's pretty hard to be mad at Eglamore for his reaction - he just found out he was dumped for a guy he already hates. He isn't thinking clearly and is going with the emotional response.

Plus, y'know, there's the whole "wanting to see Tony get punched in the face" thing.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    And when the person you want to break up with is away, and you don't know when they'll return and have no way of contacting them? What then?

Ideally yes, break up first, then go after the next person. Under the circumstances that we actually saw, I have a hard time blaming Surma very much for how she handled it. She fell in love with Tony and decided to pursue it while he was out of his shell instead of waiting until he was back at the Court and withdrawn into himself again. When they got back, she told Eglamore at the earliest opportunity.

It's not like Eglamore would have reacted any better if she'd waited.

Relationships are messy things. I don't feel like we can sit in judgement of anything that's transpired.
    I can.

Surma could have said, "Tony, my life, my love, my psychologically disadvantaged soul mate, I very much want to do the dirty with you; or at least canoodle. But honor demands we wait until Jimmy Jims comes back so I can lay this on him first. THEN, after he bursts into tears and runs off, we can do the horizontal mambo like nobody's business, and I can rip those inhibitions right out of you. And maybe someday - when it's too late for you to do anything about it - I'll tell you why my mother, grandmother, and all female ancestors back to a certain point, died a few years after giving birth..."

She didn't do that. Especially the latter. I repeat my claim, Eglamore is lucky, even if he probably never would agree...

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Jimmy-Jims not giving Tony a chance to explain himself. Seems quite typical?

Iunno.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Iunno.
    What can he say? "Surma got sexy make-up and she wants me. While you were knight erranting I showed her slug-sex and beetle childbirth. Also I'm a prettyboy. Obviously I'm the better man."??

17. - Top - End - #347

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Does anyone else think that Zimmy and Mrs. Donlan might have a similar condition? They both share the pure black eyes (though Mrs. Donlan's have cleaner borders)
    Zimmy's eyes become normal (with red irides) when it rains and she can let go. It has something to do with the ether. Mrs Donlan's eyes might also have something to do with the ether, but it seems that she can control magic (or tech) very well, which Zimmy really can't.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=736
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

18. - Top - End - #348

While Tony might not be himself around more than one person, Surma becomes insane. I mean, she didn't need to pull it off publicly.

Also, Eaglamore needs to learn self-control.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

They probably would have been better off if James did hit Tony. Having once been a teen boy myself, fistfights often build camaraderie and the guilt of hitting him would have provided a counterpoint to his sense of betrayal, making it easier for the two to make amends later.

It is easier to make amends when both sides can be presented as guilty in some way.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

20. - Top - End - #350

Imp

Iunno.
    There really isn't that much to explain, and nothing Tony could say is going to make that guy feel better about getting dumped.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

James Status: Dealt With. Mission accomplished by Surma. Telling him to step back has solved everything.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I really wish that we had, like, one more panel before this confrontation began. It starts with Tony and Annie standing across from the other three characters while Eglamore is standing awkwardly in between the Donlans holding his bag. I feel like a significant portion of context is missing.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

And here we have the preface to that scene in the Stone with Jones comforting Eglamore and saying she'll always be there for him.

www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1097

Same shirt and hairstyle, too.

The latter doesn't really suit her, I think...

I'm having a little trouble interpreting Jones' final look before she closes the door. "Humans do the strangest things"?

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    And here we have the preface to that scene in the Stone with Jones comforting Eglamore and saying she'll always be there for him.

www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1097

Same shirt and hairstyle, too.

The latter doesn't really suit her, I think...

I'm having a little trouble interpreting Jones' final look before she closes the door. "Humans do the strangest things"?
    Looks pretty human to me. Sympathetic to her James but can't say anything to Surma in front of him.

25. - Top - End - #355

Imp

Have we talked about how creepy the Jones/Eglamore pairing is?
    Show
    Then don't look close.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Have we talked about how creepy the Jones/Eglamore pairing is?
    Not lately.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

Jones's claim to not have emotions continues to become more obviously bull**** every time we see her, really.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

28. - Top - End - #358

SolithKnightGuy

If we weren't so early in the thread I'd totally suggest "Gunnerkrigg Court 8: Jones was there the whole time" for the next thread title.

Also - why was she there? I really wish we had a couple panels before all this started. I'm so confused as to the context of how this discussion started.

29. - Top - End - #359

Quote Originally Posted by Typewriter View Post
    If we weren't so early in the thread I'd totally suggest "Gunnerkrigg Court 8: Jones was there the whole time" for the next thread title.

Also - why was she there? I really wish we had a couple panels before all this started. I'm so confused as to the context of how this discussion started.
    She hangs around Eglamore a lot. I don’t think we need another explanation for that.

30. - Top - End - #360

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    She hangs around Eglamore a lot. I don’t think we need another explanation for that.
    This doesn't appear to have been a 1-1 situation. Did Surma/Tony just walk up to the Donlans, Eglamore, and Jones and say, "We're banging," or something like that? Was Jones a part of their group, was she with Eglamore while he was training? Maybe Tony and Surma were talking with the Donlans about how they're together now and Jones and Eglamore showed up only to catch the tail end of the conversation and realize what happened. "Jones was there all along" but if you look at the first scene it's got Eglamore with the Donlans on either side and Jones is nowhere in sight - where was she? Did anyone realize she was there?

This scene requires just a smidge more context behind it to properly understand IMO.