New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 7: Psychopomp and Circumstance

Quote Originally Posted by Typewriter View Post
    This doesn't appear to have been a 1-1 situation. Did Surma/Tony just walk up to the Donlans, Eglamore, and Jones and say, "We're banging," or something like that? Was Jones a part of their group, was she with Eglamore while he was training? Maybe Tony and Surma were talking with the Donlans about how they're together now and Jones and Eglamore showed up only to catch the tail end of the conversation and realize what happened. "Jones was there all along" but if you look at the first scene it's got Eglamore with the Donlans on either side and Jones is nowhere in sight - where was she? Did anyone realize she was there?

This scene requires just a smidge more context behind it to properly understand IMO.
    It's a joke about Jones always having been on Earth, she formed as it did, she is at least as old as the hills. Think of Jones as an oedipal fantasy, mother was always there, mother will never die, and mother is the supreme icon of sexual attractiveness, though (hopefully) unattainable.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    It's a joke about Jones always having been on Earth, she formed as it did, she is at least as old as the hills. Think of Jones as an oedipal fantasy, mother was always there, mother will never die, and mother is the supreme icon of sexual attractiveness, though (hopefully) unattainable.
    Now it's even MORE creepy!
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

It's a joke about Jones always having been on Earth, she formed as it did, she is at least as old as the hills.
    I understand the context of the character - I'm referencing her in this scene, however. She simply appears at the end of the scene and the author comment sort of references this (in a tongue-in-cheek way as you mention) - but was it completely a joke or was she literally standing there for the entire duration of the conversation? This scene, as presented, feels very poorly done to me because it lends us to believe that literally what happened is that Surma/Tony walked up and said, "We're together now," 1 split second before the scene actually began. Not to an individual, possibly not to a group of friends because it may include a teacher/primordial force who was hanging around, and that doesn't really make much sense. I can think of at least 5 different things that would have happened right before this scene that dramatically alter the way I would interpret it but I'm not provided with any context so I'm just confused.

4. - Top - End - #364

Surma:"Hey Egy* meet me and James in the hall and bring some people I need to tell you something and want to make it more dramatic." jut add a line and everything is explained!

*The obvious short form for eglamore!

5. - Top - End - #365

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Surma:"Hey Egy* meet me and James in the hall and bring some people I need to tell you something and want to make it more dramatic." jut add a line and everything is explained!

*The obvious short form for eglamore!
    "PS: Make sure you bring someone to offer you rebound sex."

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

She's a yellow shadow in the doorframe in the first panel. So she was in Eglamore's room, when she heard the shouting she went out. She took Eglamore back in with her. She gave Surma the final peek and closed the door on her. She (creepily?) told Eglamore she'll never leave him

7. - Top - End - #367
    Troll in the Playground

"PS: Make sure you bring someone to offer you rebound sex."
    I'm not sure Jones can have sex... Does she have the parts? Internally?

It's interesting to speculate on what Jones DOES have. She must have lungs, larynx, and vocal cords because she can speak. We haven't seen her eat or drink but that doesn't mean she can't. She said she has a normal humans sensory range so eardrums, smell, feel... But nerves? Blood? People don't flinch away when they touch her, so she must have a normal body temperature, but where she's getting the energy to do that, I don't know. I can see why Gunnerkrigg Court scientists spend a lot of scratching their heads over her; Jones doesn't make a lot of sense...

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I certainly didn't take Jones long to move in, did it?

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I'm having a little trouble interpreting Jones' final look before she closes the door. "Humans do the strangest things"?
    I took it to be her just observing everyone else as long as possible before privately talking with James.

This scene requires just a smidge more context behind it to properly understand IMO.
    I don't think we are supposed to understand it all that well. I'm not sure it's could even have any explanation. If Surma and Tony went to Eglamore's room together, that's seriously wrong. If they were just hanging out as a group, but Surma hadn't bothered telling James yet, that's wrong, too.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-11-01 at 09:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    I wouldn't assume she hung around him before Surma dumped him.
    I mean, Jones was the one who took Jimmy-Jims to the Court, and the one who introduced him to Donald. I think it's fair to say that she's been a reasonably big part of his life since before Surma broke up with him.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    I mean, Jones was the one who took Jimmy-Jims to the Court, and the one who introduced him to Donald. I think it's fair to say that she's been a reasonably big part of his life since before Surma broke up with him.
    Yeah, I was just editing my comment to remove that. I hadn't realized that she had been hanging out in Jame's room, or at least was in the room that James just walked into. However, as guttering flame mentioned, I think we can see her through the window in the first frame.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Troll in the Playground

Jones certainly is an odd character, isn't she? Born of the Earth itself before life took shape, immeasurably strong and durable. She has a permanence about her.

She also may know the kind of being Surma is. Perhaps she arranged their task with an eye toward matching them up and sparing her beloved the heartbreak following Surma's impending death.

In fact, the comic has revealed both Surma and Annie to be fire elementals. This type of being lives through generations experiencing passion, life, death, and rebirth, again and again.

I wonder if there are other elementals in the world of Gunnerkrigg? If so, Jones' demeanor and capabilities make her a likely candidate for earth elemental.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    Jones certainly is an odd character, isn't she? Born of the Earth itself before life took shape, immeasurably strong and durable. She has a permanence about her.

She also may know the kind of being Surma is. Perhaps she arranged their task with an eye toward matching them up and sparing her beloved the heartbreak following Surma's impending death.

In fact, the comic has revealed both Surma and Annie to be fire elementals. This type of being lives through generations experiencing passion, life, death, and rebirth, again and again.

I wonder if there are other elementals in the world of Gunnerkrigg? If so, Jones' demeanor and capabilities make her a likely candidate for earth elemental.
    I'd say if Jones is an earth elemental, she's the only one – which makes sense, from a certain reading. There's many fires, and they burn and go out all the time, but only one Earth, and it's been here with minimal change for quite a while. Also, she's never met another one, nor heard of such, and nor has the Court.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I'd say if Jones is an earth elemental, she's the only one – which makes sense, from a certain reading. There's many fires, and they burn and go out all the time, but only one Earth, and it's been here with minimal change for quite a while. Also, she's never met another one, nor heard of such, and nor has the Court.

You forget about Theia.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    You forget about Theia.
    We don't see that event in Jones' recollection. She formed early, but perhaps not that early.

Or perhaps Theia's is a Moon Elemental who hasn't found the probes yet, or otherwise hasn't happened to be recorded. One person-sized being, on the entire moon, probably pretty easy to miss. Especially since they might not look human - there aren't humans on the Moon to retroactively pattern the embodiment.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2017-11-02 at 11:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    We don't see that event in Jones' recollection. She formed early, but perhaps not that early.

Or perhaps Theia's is a Moon Elemental who hasn't found the probes yet, or otherwise hasn't happened to be recorded. One person-sized being, on the entire moon, probably pretty easy to miss. Especially since they might not look human - there aren't humans on the Moon to retroactively pattern the embodiment.
    Jones was telling Annie about her life. Given how long that's been, incidentals like the Earth-Theta collision might not have even gotten a mention.

(It's fascinating to consider what that would have been like from Jones' perspective. She could see this thing in the sky getting bigger and bigger each day; did she realize what was happening? Had she, just by observation and deduction, figured out what the lights in the sky were, that the Earth was orbiting the Sun, that she was on a planet, one of several, and that a different one appeared to be about to hit the one she was on? And then when it did, even though she couldn't be hurt by it, the forces involved must have thrown her around like a dust mote in a storm. I would imagine that if there's telepathy in the GCuniverse, and it could work on Jones, anyone reading her mind might be driven mad by her memories.)

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

The Theia theory is pretty new, was Jones written before the theory?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The Theia theory is pretty new, was Jones written before the theory?
    Theia Theory was popularized in the mid 2000s, which is when gunnerkrigg court started. Fairly certain the flashback scene with Jones is from after people were aware of the moon being made by massive impact.

Edit: Annie looks unconvinced.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2017-11-03 at 06:36 AM.

18. - Top - End - #378

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Annie looks unconvinced.
    Same, Annie. Same.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Then don't look close.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

Something about "no accounting for taste", I guess.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I like Annie's look in the second panel. Poor Annie. "My parents are so embarrassing!"
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-11-03 at 08:33 AM.

21. - Top - End - #381

Imp

This whole chapter strikes me as so bizarre and unnecessary. I never found myself questioning why or how Tony and Surma got together - it only mattered that they did, and that Surma was gone.

Now that an explanation has been given, I don't feel like we've gotten a better understanding of either character, or any information that couldn't be inferred from what we already knew.

I wonder if Tom felt like he had written himself into a corner by making Tony so thoroughly unlikeable that no one would believe he could ever be in a relationship, and decided to course correct by showing that it was indeed possible for Tony to at least temporarily not be actively terrible.
    Last edited by Fawkes; 2017-11-03 at 10:53 AM.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

22. - Top - End - #382

I think it explains a bit of how Tony works: he cannot move inside group dynamics.

Anyway, I am wondering how closely the comic followed the narration by mrs Donlan. "And then your mum firmly grasped Tony's hand, and pushed it where her hip met her buttock. Tony gasped, as she sat on him..."
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

23. - Top - End - #383

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    This whole chapter strikes me as so bizarre and unnecessary. I never found myself questioning why or how Tony and Surma got together - it only mattered that they did, and that Surma was gone.

Now that an explanation has been given, I don't feel like we've gotten a better understanding of either character, or any information that couldn't be inferred from what we already knew.

I wonder if Tom felt like he had written himself into a corner by making Tony so thoroughly unlikeable that no one would believe he could ever be in a relationship, and decided to course correct by showing that it was indeed possible for Tony to at least temporarily not be actively terrible.
    I'm pretty sure that's it exactly. Tony as we've seen him has been without redeeming qualities. This arc was to remove doubts about whether foul play was involved in his romance and humanize him so he could be something in the story other than a cartoonish villain.

For me it failed. I still maintain some doubts about the relationship - how was that sustained for years? - and I cannot forgive his horrendous failures and abuses as a father. So it just feels like wasted time, really, a 5 panel summary would have connected all the same dots. All this did for me was reveal flaws in Surma's character.

Still love the comic, but glad to be leaving this segment.
    Proud dictator of the miko fan club
    If you wanna be cool and join the Miko Fan Club,
    just put Miko in your sig and make up a position!
    Ambitious lieutenant of the Miko Mafia
    nuclear physicist of the Hinjo fan club

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    But it seems as if Tom didn't really expect that to happen, because he showed that even Anja had trouble believing Tony managed to be in a relationship with Surma. Anja apparently knows everything the readers know, so if what happened didn't make sense to her, it seems as if it shouldn't be expected to make sense to the readers, either.

I have to agree with you about how unnecessary much of the content was. If you look at it from an in-story perspective, you would have to wonder why Anja told Annie such a detailed story. ("The first day, they waited the four full hours, just lying on their stomachs and staring at the assigned location at the base of the tree, but nothing at all happened" and so on.) According to Anja, the point of her telling Annie all of that was that Surma and Tony really fell in love and it wasn't just a trick and they had Annie as a result. How were all of the day-by-day details necessary to make that point? It still comes down to Annie needing to accept Anja's judgement that it really happened as Surma told Anja it did.

Quote Originally Posted by theKOT View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's it exactly. Tony as we've seen him has been without redeeming qualities. This arc was to remove doubts about whether foul play was involved in his romance and humanize him so he could be something in the story other than a cartoonish villain.
    If so, that wasn't going to work at all for me! Kat's father knew Tony better than anyone and he clearly saw Tony as a flawed individual who has some redeeming qualities, at least when alone with him. Why would I doubt that? Even more so, why would I think a long drawn-out second-hand story that didn't make much sense to the person telling it would be more convincing than that?
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-11-03 at 06:34 PM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll just reiterate that I like Tony as a character, and that his characterisation moves me more towards pity than to hatred, especially since he's not being an absolute prick to Annie on purpose; he's just so completely screwed up mentally and emotionally that he doesn't know how to be a better father, even though he wants too. Or, that he thinks he's screwed up so badly already that nothing he can do can make up for it, so why try?

That second opinion seems to be prevalent through the fanbase. I personally don't get it.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

26. - Top - End - #386

I actually think this chapter works better if you think of the story as being filtered through Annie's mind. Even though it is Anja telling the story, we may be seeing Annie's understanding of Anja's story.

I'm thinking of myself at Annie's age. Back then, I didn't really have any conception of what romantic love was, beyond the rather poor depictions I had seen in fiction. At the end of the previous chapter, Annie was told that a seemingly inexplicable series of events (that her mother, a seemingly kind and decent person, literally died on account of someone who, as far as Annie has seen, is an irredeemable monster) can be explained by simply saying "they were in love."

In this chapter, Anja attempts to explain to Annie how Surma and Anthony fell in love. But romantic love isn't really something that can easily be explained second- or third-hand. So Annie hears the events that Anja describes, but she doesn't feel the connection between her parents that presumably occurred, and so we end up with what seems like an underwhelming backstory.

I don't know if that's what was intended, but for me, at least, it makes more sense if I suppose that what we just saw was all Annie's perception, not Anja's (or Surma's) unvarnished narrative.

27. - Top - End - #387

Since I saw a few comments about Surma's moral character: beside the fact that I don't see what she did in this chapter as bad, we have had reason to believe that she is no saint for a very long time, since she got Reynardine imprisoned in the Court by flirting with him. At the very least, she's a trickster.
    http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=792
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

I trust Tom Siddell, So far he hasn't made any major story telling missteps. If he felt it necessary to include this chapter, then that means now or in the future, it will be vital.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Since I saw a few comments about Surma's moral character: beside the fact that I don't see what she did in this chapter as bad, we have had reason to believe that she is no saint for a very long time, since she got Reynardine imprisoned in the Court by flirting with him. At the very least, she's a trickster.
    http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=792
    I'm kind of worried about the consequences of this story. The last time Annie found out unsavory things about her mother - the attempt to trick Rey - it lead to fireworks. Under emotional stress Annie is not very wise and she does things she can't explain. God knows what's going to happen now.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I'm kind of worried about the consequences of this story. The last time Annie found out unsavory things about her mother - the attempt to trick Rey - it lead to fireworks. Under emotional stress Annie is not very wise and she does things she can't explain. God knows what's going to happen now.
    I think Annie is much closer to Tony than she is to Surma. Which kind of explains a lot. Both can't really deal with strong emotions and tend to lash out in ways that make things worse for everyone.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    I think Annie is much closer to Tony than she is to Surma. Which kind of explains a lot. Both can't really deal with strong emotions and tend to lash out in ways that make things worse for everyone.
    Tony is emotionally stunted. Antimony just hides her emotions (or used to at least) under a mask.