New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 7: Psychopomp and Circumstance

I vaguely remember this sub-plot. Coyote removed Ysengrin's memories of when he flipped out against Annie, because of reasons Coyote. It felt kind of sinister at the time, especially because Ysengrin was begging Coyote not to.

What Coyote's doing in this chapter, I have no idea. Is he returning the memories? Taking more away? Showing Ysengrin a flashback?
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Troll in the Playground

I have no idea what's going on, but I find it vaguely terrifying...

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's Coyote sifting through Ysengrin's memories.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground

From the look of it, Coyote is tearing out Ysengrin's joy of being with Annie. It looks like a monstrous betrayal against both of them.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I don't like people in comics talking and us not being able to read it. If it doesn't matter, do it off-screen.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Troll in the Playground

OK, we're past 'vaguely terrifying' and into 'this is distressing. And creepy.'

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I don't like people in comics talking and us not being able to read it. If it doesn't matter, do it off-screen.
    I think it's meant to convey that Ysengrin is so mind addled right now he has no idea what the human is saying. Like a stroke victim who lost his linguistic abilities. So it's not the usual background chatter that's not important you see in comics.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    From the look of it, Coyote is tearing out Ysengrin's joy of being with Annie. It looks like a monstrous betrayal against both of them.
    Pretty sure it’s the opposite.

I am betting that this is what happened to Reynard, in fact.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    Pretty sure it’s the opposite.

I am betting that this is what happened to Reynard, in fact.
    Given Ysengrin's reaction to Annie, I'll concede this. Good idea regarding Reynard, too.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Renard is based off of the stories of Reynard the fox and the song Reynardine, I think that Renard has always liked humans. The difference being whether he obsessed over humans like he did with Surma.

I would think that the removal of memories and the reliance on external support makes Ysingrin slowly collapse in on himself. My reasoning is that while etheric beings are started by human beliefs, they also have the ability for self continuation beyond the humans that spawned them. See for example Coyote hanging out in Great Britain. Ysengrin doesn't have that agency, and Coyote arguably takes the moments of agency aways from him. I doubt that Ysengrin in his prime would have anything to do with humans. So the conflict for Ysengrin is that he enjoys his relationship with Annie, but hates the shackles that bind him (the tree form, his lost memories, etc.) that allowed the relationship to form.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The plot thickens.

Did he not like Ysengrin's answer, and wanted keep asking until he got a different one, I wonder.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    The plot thickens.

Did he not like Ysengrin's answer, and wanted keep asking until he got a different one, I wonder.
    My first thought was that Coyote was putting something in Ysengrin, not taking a memory out, but that makes sense.

Although, there are all those Trickster tales where what you thought you asked for and what you get are two very different things. Another disturbing thing is that, up until now, I thought Ysen had to actually make a deal with Coyote (for example, agree to get powers from him) before Coyote had the power to mess with his mind. Doesn't look like that's the way it works.

Which makes me a bit more worried for Rey and what Coyote may have been able to do to him.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Troll in the Playground

We've gone from 'vaguely terrifying' to 'really creepy' to 'the heck is going on here?'. Can't wait to see where we go next.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

OK, I don't *think* I've taken any hallucinogens recently, and I'm not delirious with the flu, so I have to conclude this is the actual strip and that, somehow, it makes sense. If we just knew what Coyote was actually doing...
    Last edited by eee; 2018-01-29 at 08:11 AM.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I mean, we've always known Coyote to be a trickster who doesn't give a rat's behind about nobody, but this seems kind of sinister. And I do remember him threatening to snip Annie's wrist off.

Coyote as an outright bad guy is a frightening concept, and it didn't occur to me before because of how frivolous and playful his character seemed.

Although, I still have no idea what he's trying to do here. Maybe he's trying to confirm that Ysengrin really has no other drives or desires? Seems a rather brute-force way to go about it, if so. I mean with all the memory manipulation.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ogre in the Playground

I read it as Ysengrin always answering this question the same way but the personality behind the answer gradually changes from a righteous character who want the power to protect the Forest and its inhabitants to a raving lunatic that can be summed by
    "I HATE HUMANS! aRRRR!!! "
    Ysengrin the wise, introspective wolf lord exasperates Coyot
    e. By culling his memories/soul he twists him into a two dimensional cartoon character he can chuckle about.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Coyote as an outright bad guy is a frightening concept, and it didn't occur to me before because of how frivolous and playful his character seemed.
    Literally all his stories about himself are “I am a terrible person who should not be trusted with holding your drink for a minute, let alone with anything important,” yet everyone around him loves him except when they are his current victim (and even then, sometimes.) Because that’s how Trickster gods work.

If there is only one lesson to take from mythology? Never trust a trickster god. No, especially not then. Not Even Once. It will end in utter disaster for everyone, even for the god in question. But if there is another lesson, it is that everyone is going to do it anyway.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

To me, the comic suggests Coyote keeps posing the same question to Ysengrin, then removing the associated memory so he can ask it again. To what end, I don't know. Amusement? Does he hope the answer will change?

In any case, I think Coyote is responsible in large part for Ysengrin's madness.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2018-01-29 at 12:40 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ettin in the Playground

Ysengrin is also transforming into a more human shape as Coyote keeps asking the question. Whether that's meant to show time passing or the effects of Coyote's repeated lobotomies or both is unclear.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The way Trickster God rules usually seem to work is that what you thought you agreed to/asked for is not what you get, but there is a connection.

So far, the only guess I have is that, instead of Ysengrim getting Coyote's power, he's becoming an extension of Coyote. Hence, he will be part of Coyote's strength.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    So far, the only guess I have is that, instead of Ysengrim getting Coyote's power, he's becoming an extension of Coyote. Hence, he will be part of Coyote's strength.
    Unless... unless all along Ysengrin was also The Coyote.

Yeah, that whole chapter, and everything Ysengrin says in it just become disturbing the more I read. Also, how did I not catch the parallel between the Coyote/Ysengrin body (and soul?) re-arrangement, and what Kat is (all in good faith) doing with Robot?
    Last edited by Zea mays; 2018-01-30 at 02:48 PM.

All numbers are grammatically correct

22. - Top - End - #592
    Troll in the Playground

Oh look, it's that girl again!

Red monster = red shirt...

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Oh look, it's that girl again!
    Indeed, is this a flashback?
    Last edited by halfeye; 2018-01-31 at 09:57 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Indeed, is this a flashback?
    It's a memory.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Troll in the Playground

Ah yes, now THIS memory will be interesting.

I wonder how close Coyote can get to the other shore before Jeanne goes after him. Perhaps as long as he doesn't actually intend to cross he can get REALLY close and just stand there telling her jokes.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    It's a memory.
    So that's a "yes" then.

Ah yes, now THIS memory will be interesting.

I wonder how close Coyote can get to the other shore before Jeanne goes after him. Perhaps as long as he doesn't actually intend to cross he can get REALLY close and just stand there telling her jokes.
    I don't think it is a memory any more, so Jeanne is gone, and Coyote could prance all the way across.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Troll in the Playground

So that's a "yes" then.

I don't think it is a memory any more, so Jeanne is gone, and Coyote could prance all the way across.
    In the first two panels Ysengrin's not wearing his armor and his body is not wasted. That means those two, at least, are the past.

It's possible Coyote is actually talking to Ysengrin's memories. This might be like Harry Potter and the Pensieve; he can walk through what people remember, see what Ysengrin saw, and talk him, but not change the memories at all.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

This update:

Last edited by Ninja Dragon; 2018-02-05 at 08:28 AM.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Troll in the Playground

WHOA! Fasten your seat belts, I think Coyote's about to reveal what he's been up to! We may be in for a bumpy ride!

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

In the first two panels Ysengrin's not wearing his armor and his body is not wasted. That means those two, at least, are the past.
    Oh yeah, I agree, however I think the later panels are in the present.