New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 7: Psychopomp and Circumstance

Of special note on Rey's forms is when Kat came out to him. His first reaction was to turn into teddy bear form and start to make a lewd comment. After Kat stomps him and goes "Dude, NOT FUNNY", he returns to wolf form and gives more serious advice.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Of special note on Rey's forms is when Kat came out to him. His first reaction was to turn into teddy bear form and start to make a lewd comment. After Kat stomps him and goes "Dude, NOT FUNNY", he returns to wolf form and gives more serious advice.
    Hmm. Do you happen to have a link? I wonder if that's an in-story difference, or an artistic one. I know in a lot of manga, characters are drawn in 'chibi' format during asides, non-serious moments, and the like.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Hmm. Do you happen to have a link? I wonder if that's an in-story difference, or an artistic one. I know in a lot of manga, characters are drawn in 'chibi' format during asides, non-serious moments, and the like.
    Right here.

I also recommend re-reading the chapter Quicksilver, and paying attention to how Reynardine's form shifts depending on what he's doing and what his attitude is. Generally speaking, his teddy bear form represents his darker impulses while his wolf form represents his noble side. We see the wolf form more often later because he has developed as a character over time, becoming a nobler being than he was at the start of the story.

Rey makes an interesting comment on this divide here, where Kat mentions the difference in forms and Reynardine says "the mind is nothing but a plaything of the body". This implies that the teddy bear form encourages him to act more evil, while the wolf form helps him stay good.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Rey makes an interesting comment on this divide here, where Kat mentions the difference in forms and Reynardine says "the mind is nothing but a plaything of the body". This implies that the teddy bear form encourages him to act more evil, while the wolf form helps him stay good.
    That's what I was looking for, thanks! It is in-story, and has in-story reasons, as opposed to it being Tom using the less feature-defined form to be able to say more mischievous things.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: new comic
    Show
    So, I'm betting the two Annies end up working together to burn down the door and escape, working past (some of) their differences in the process. Any takers? :D
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Spoiler: new comic
    Show
    So, I'm betting the two Annies end up working together to burn down the door and escape, working past (some of) their differences in the process. Any takers? :D
    No bet. I will, however, wager that that was Kat's plan in the first place. She knows the genre conventions.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Two girls enter, one girl leaves! Two girls enter, one girl leaves! Two girls enter, one girl leaves!

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Oh man, that is cruel! Kat is more devious than I thought (assuming it was her idea)
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

9. - Top - End - #1209

Two girls enter, one girl leaves! Two girls enter, one girl leaves! Two girls enter, one girl leaves!
    Two girls, one door?
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Troll in the Playground

Parley blips back in to find both Annies on the floor unmoving, hands wrapped around each other's throats.

"OH MY GOD!!" she screams, and blips out.

One Annie opens an eye. "You think she bought it?"

Other Annie. "Yep. She'll be bringing the others here any second, so get ready. Remember, we look dead, and then-"

Annie: "We both jump up and shout "APRIL FOOL!" THAT will teach them to pull a trick like this on us!"

11. - Top - End - #1211

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    Two girls, one door?
    And no toilet.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

12. - Top - End - #1212

Huh, that's still a better idea than what I expected Parley to do.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

While it would likely not be what Tom will do, I would find it greatly amusing if they ended with a "mind link". They become two people that go about their lives, but can coordinate and communicate etherically.

Annie's always acted a bit like a creepy twin without a twin, so it would fit here. Especially if they don't explain this change to everyone else. Especially if Tony, Reynard, and Jones just shrug in response to the change, and just appreciate the end of conflicts.

From a continuing story perspective, it wouldn't matter who was on screen, as they're both Annie. Tom can do some fun dynamics with that IMO.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    While it would likely not be what Tom will do, I would find it greatly amusing if they ended with a "mind link". They become two people that go about their lives, but can coordinate and communicate etherically.

Annie's always acted a bit like a creepy twin without a twin, so it would fit here. Especially if they don't explain this change to everyone else. Especially if Tony, Reynard, and Jones just shrug in response to the change, and just appreciate the end of conflicts.

From a continuing story perspective, it wouldn't matter who was on screen, as they're both Annie. Tom can do some fun dynamics with that IMO.
    "They're two people with a mind link" and "they're both Annie" say very different things to me – the latter is more "one person who incidentally has twice the usual number of everything".
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    "They're two people with a mind link" and "they're both Annie" say very different things to me – the latter is more "one person who incidentally has twice the usual number of everything".
    Fair point. On the continuum from one end to the other, I would probably aim for more the second part. It's just that those arguments you have with yourself in your head can now end up more externally expressed.

And with actual fireballs.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Troll in the Playground

Annie. Annie Annie Annie. Don't you know your tropes? NEVER say something like that!

Besides, Kat is not your mother, she didn't promise not to send you into danger. And drop the smug, Parley could have bliipped all three of you to someplace so red it's incandescent.

I wonder where the light is coming from...

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Besides, Kat is not your mother, she didn't promise not to send you into danger. And drop the smug, Parley could have bliipped all three of you to someplace so red it's incandescent.
    Learn to work issues out by uniting against an opponent.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

18. - Top - End - #1218

It is very rude to call a sorceress a witch.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

19. - Top - End - #1219

If she's a witch, then someone ought to burn her!
    Oh, wait....

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Here's hoping that we are not subject to a loopy monologue.

I would have preferred them to reach an understanding before his appearance.

21. - Top - End - #1221

I guess the Annies will bond over taking Puppy Loup home with them and hiding him from Tony, which leads to all kinds of funny situations and shenanigans?

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Troll in the Playground

If Annie has played 'Exit/Corners" we may be going to see one of them turn and slap the other while Loup is speaking, just to see how pre-recorded he actually is.

23. - Top - End - #1223

Wow, Loup is really evil. He's not just a spammer, he's a spammer who uses profiling to show up at the most irritating of times, and he actually engineers awkward schemes to create those irritating times.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

24. - Top - End - #1224

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Here's hoping that we are not subject to a loopy monologue.

I would have preferred them to reach an understanding before his appearance.
    Well, you sort of got the second thing you wanted, since this isn't actually Loup. But given that this is a prerecorded message, we will almost certainly be getting a monologue from him.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Well, you sort of got the second thing you wanted, since this isn't actually Loup. But given that this is a prerecorded message, we will almost certainly be getting a monologue from him.
    Yeah. I'm not saying I don't like hyper planned farsighted characters who meddle, but they can either be stumped by things, or are not the direct antagonists, but an ally/force that is 90% aligned with the protagonists, and the disagreement is more on methods rather than goals.

Plus, as it sits right now, Loup just succeeds because he is. There is nothing done so far that isn't considered a minor set back.

This applies to Coyote in Gunnerkrigg Court as well, but he was never a focus of the story.

Now if you get something interesting out of this, say full hivemind Annie (one identity, two bodies), and she can now survive having a child, that would be neat. However, we didn't need Loup sticking his snout in here right at the beginning.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Barbarian in the Playground

Another creature has found the Loup-hole in the shield.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    Another creature has found the Loup-hole in the shield.
    This fits really well with your avatar.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Troll in the Playground

Frieza.

Well, if you're gonna steal, steal from the best.

29. - Top - End - #1229

Are the Annies finally starting to get along?

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Are the Annies finally starting to get along?
    Hopefully. I actually enjoyed this comic.

What I'm hoping for though is that there is a different strengths approach through this arc. For example, if they get something that needs a full head on approach, that's where Forest Annie has a time to shine.

My worry is that things that I thought could have gone really well (Annie being detatched from Andrew dying to Jean for example could be that she had arranged the bargain to safeguard her friends) instead turned into "Let's call Annie terrible and leave it at that."