New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 7: Psychopomp and Circumstance

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    "Let's call Annie terrible and leave it at that."
    Except they totally didn't leave it at that as there was the scene with Kat consoling her and assuring her she made the right call.

Sure Red might have left it at that, but Red isn't exactly a character the readers are meant to agree with.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2019-02-25 at 08:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Except they totally didn't leave it at that as there was the scene with Kat consoling here and assuring her she made the right call.

Sure Red might have left it at that, but Red isn't exactly a character the readers are meant to agree with.
    You know, I literally only remember Red's reaction, and Andrew and Parley's avoidance. And nothing from Kat.

Time for a re read, then.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    You know, I literally only remember Red's reaction, and Andrew and Parley's avoidance. And nothing from Kat.

Time for a re read, then.
    The latter half of Chapter 62 is where the discussion is, starting here

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    The latter half of Chapter 62 is where the discussion is, starting here
    Thanks. I had forgotten all about that dialogue.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Troll in the Playground

Court Annie just crossed the line.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Does Tony usually act like this with Annie? In principle he doesn't. It could sound like he's all chill and laid back now, like he's e.g. with Kat. Which might mean she's not the real one, huh.
    https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2119

"Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Court Annie just crossed the line.
    A strange one too. Why would she assume forest Annie doesn't care about their mom?

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    A strange one too. Why would she assume forest Annie doesn't care about their mom?
    Because she isn't wearing make up? It might be a retrospective regret.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #1239

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Because she isn't wearing make up? It might be a retrospective regret.
    That's sort of what I'm thinking - Forest Annie represents who Court Annie used to be. She sees who she was just six months ago and doesn't like being reminded of who she was - how she was obeying her father in hiding the memory of her mother. Stuff like that.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

My guess is, on some level, Court Annie expected Forest Annie to understand it was her decision to wear make up again and to understand her reasons. She didn't.

On top of that, Tony has been treating Court Annie the same as he always did. This means CA has likely had a miserable six months living with Tony in his uncaring father mode. My guess is this also led to a blow up between them where CA defied him about the make up. She also changed her focus from trying to please her father to being more like her mother.

Enter Forest Annie, who Tony is able to interact with in the way Court Annie wants him to interact with her but doesn't. Also, after just a couple days back, FA is happy about her interactions with Tony. She's also still probably trying to please him (or CA sees her actions that way), something CA has moved away from to protect herself emotionally.

So, yeah, she's going to blow up at her. This likely means she's also spent some time being mad at herself for all the time she spent trying to please her father and justifying his abandonment of her.

Side issue: Apparently, Tony treats Forest Annie differently than Court Annie. My guess is he's able to treat her like a real person because, on some level, he doesn't think of her as the real Annie. This may create difficulties later.

However, CA is seeing FA get the connection she's wanted with her father but accepted (at least to the point of defying him over makeup) she wasn't going to get. This strikes directly at her what she's probably been telling herself, that Tony is never going to give her the emotional support she wants and that she needed to stop giving up things she wanted/needed to try and get that from him.

Enter FA, still in father pleasing mode, who gets them.

So, yeah, lots of things for her to get upset about.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Ogre in the Playground

Man Annie's kind of a bitch, eh?
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ettin in the Playground

There's probably less of a filter here than there would be when interacting with other people because they perceive the other person as themselves, and many people have nasty thoughts about themselves.

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Man Annie's kind of a bitch, eh?
    On the other hand, and it's especially noticeable because the decision about the necklace was BEFORE the split, Annie is not angry at Forest Annie, she is angry of herself, what she chose to do in the past and how long it took her to learn different approaches.
    For her, Forest Annie is a constant reminder of how naive she was just a few months ago, especially toward her father.

Imagine trying to make a bad relationship work, giving up after months when you decide to leave, and then meeting your past self who is still in a phase of trying to make it work.

14. - Top - End - #1244

I'm kinda surprised that you can't write the name of African nations, but this gets through the filter...
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm kinda surprised that you can't write the name of African nations, but this gets through the filter...
    Now that you mention it, yeah, that's definitely not a word I would have expected to run the asterisk blockade.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Case of accidental versus deliberate, I am assuming. Probably no one thought of the African nation one (which/what are we talking about, if you can hint at?). Anyone that has a swear word filter is going to have an active opinion on whether to let bitch through or not.

17. - Top - End - #1247

Case of accidental versus deliberate, I am assuming. Probably no one thought of the African nation one (which/what are we talking about, if you can hint at?). Anyone that has a swear word filter is going to have an active opinion on whether to let bitch through or not.
    *****. It's a nation that borders Lybia to the north, Nigeria to the south, Mali to the West, and Chad to the east.

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

*****. It's a nation that borders Lybia to the north, Nigeria to the south, Mali to the West, and Chad to the east.
    Ah, which could be seen as a misspelling of 'the N-word,' got it. Yeah, okay, so not accidental, just a necessity, given this being the internet. I can see having a different policy on that than on bitch.

19. - Top - End - #1249

PirateCaptain

Odd that you can say Nigeria but not *****, considering that the word Nigeria contains those letters in that order. It's been demonstrated before that you can't say S****horpe, despite it only containing the offending letters of the bad word.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the mad man finally did it. He finally figured out who to ship with Annie.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Whenever I decide what wirds to self-censor when I post here, my first look is always to the comic. In this particular case, I look to Haley's catchphrase.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Titan in the Playground

..and then Annie realized the power of her Persona.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..and then Annie realized the power of her Persona.
    I'm gonna guess... oof, this is a hard one. What arcana would fit best? Moon? Magician?

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    I'm gonna guess... oof, this is a hard one. What arcana would fit best? Moon? Magician?
    Magician would fit, Empress might too, as would the hanged man. I'm not really seeing Moon though.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

25. - Top - End - #1255

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Whenever I decide what wirds to self-censor when I post here, my first look is always to the comic. In this particular case, I look to Haley's catchphrase.
    Wirds? I hadn’t realized the plural of “word” was filtered!

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Troll in the Playground

Unexpected revelations from the Annies, AND Mr. Siddell!!

27. - Top - End - #1257

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Unexpected revelations from the Annies, AND Mr. Siddell!!
    Maybe that's why he moved to New York...

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Titan in the Playground

Magician would fit, Empress might too, as would the hanged man. I'm not really seeing Moon though.
    Hermit or Hierophant?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Hermit or Hierophant?
    The Hierophant generally represents an authority figure and/or respected elder, so that wouldn't really fit her. The Hermit hasn't really had a consistent characterization in 3-5 (I haven't played 1 and 2), but going by the description included with my own tarot deck I would say that it's not a perfect fit. The Hermit generally represents caution, some manner of isolation and prudence. I don't really associate caution with Annie, and she isn't really isolated either.

Hmmm, this has gotten me thinking about what characters from the series would be assigned to which ArcanA, this is what I've got so far, but those interested should feel free to add and discuss.

1. Fool - By the convention of the persona games, this'd actually be Antimony, as she's the protagonist. Going by more general Tarot meanings instead, it'd be Red.
    2. Magician - Renardine is a fairly obvious fit in my opinion. The magician arcana represents skill and self-confidence, but also pain and loss.
    3. Priestess - Kat, the priestess arcana generally represents Intelligence, dilligence and a search for knowledge, which fits Kat to a T.
    4. Empress - Anja (Kat's mother). This arcana usually represents a wise and motherly figure, but also stands for things lik eCreativity and finding the truth, all of which fit Kat's mother imho.
    5. Emperor - Ysengrin. The emperor Arcana stands for power and protection, and int eh Persona games in particular it also often represents someone trying too hard to control their surroundings, including that which they cannot control.
    6. Hierophant - mr. Eglamore. Honestly, Mr. Eglamore and Ysengrin could easily switch places, as both have properties of both the emperor and hierpohant arcana. The Hierophant arcan generally represents a reaosnable authority figure, and in the context of the Persona games, someone clinging to the past.
    7. Lovers - Paz. The Lovers Arcana generally represents someone very empathic and social, which seems to fit Paz quite well.
    8. Chariot - Parley
    9. Justice
    10. Hermit- Zimmy fits this one well, I think
    11. Fortune - Andrew. I don't think this one needs explaining.
    12. Strength
    13. Hanged man
    14. Death
    15. Temperance
    16. Devil
    17. Tower
    18. Star
    19. Moon
    20. Sun
    21. Aeon - Jones
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

30. - Top - End - #1260