New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 7: Psychopomp and Circumstance

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    Cvet has the squat & the accent, now needs an Adidas tracksuit.
    I'm not sure... iirc that's a thing that is easier to find in Orthodox slavic countries. Slovenia is more like Croatia and (old) Czechoslovakia, so culturally it developed in a closer contact with the Catholic west.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

What was the ashray about again?

3. - Top - End - #1293

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    What was the ashray about again?
    The ashtray attacks; Short-Haired Annie identifies the ashtray by name.

4. - Top - End - #1294

Do have to wonder why a water elemental has the word "ash" in its name.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Pixie in the Playground

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asrai
    Wikipedia says the etymology is unknown, but it is supposedly English folklore. Perhaps they're named ashray because they turn into a puddle when the sun shines on them for too long?

6. - Top - End - #1296

Quote Originally Posted by Smurfton View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asrai
    Wikipedia says the etymology is unknown, but it is supposedly English folklore. Perhaps they're named ashray because they turn into a puddle when the sun shines on them for too long?
    Oh, I was wondering why it was called "ashtray"...

Personally, reading the article, I can't help but think that the name was invented for the 1884 poem. It sounds like someone imitating Sanskrit or Arab.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #1297

BlackDragon

So, finishing up book 1 / chapter 7, and ... I'm not sure that I understood that fight on the bridge?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    So, finishing up book 1 / chapter 7, and ... I'm not sure that I understood that fight on the bridge?
    You're not supposed to...yet. Chapters 8 and 9 have some explanation, but I don't think you find out what was really up with it for quite some time.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I have to wonder if Annie's just super over confident about what she could do vs. what Paz is capable of.

Granted, I could be overestimating what trainging she ever got from Ysgrin.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Titan in the Playground

I stopped reading when her emotionally abusive, negligent father showed back up out of the blue.

Did that arc ever resolve, and if so, where/when would I pick back up reading to skip over it?
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I stopped reading when her emotionally abusive, negligent father showed back up out of the blue.

Did that arc ever resolve, and if so, where/when would I pick back up reading to skip over it?
    The plot has moved to a different place. Her father has been shown to have some sooomewhat good reasons for what he did, and has done and sacrificed a lot for her, but is still probably the most controversial figures for the fanbase. Now she is at a subtle truce with him, and trying to figure out how to live with him back in her life. On one hand, it is actually more realistic to have a flawed parent you have to learn to deal with than have all your enemies be hyper-evil villains you can cheer the eventual demise of. OTOH, it's frankly less satisfying.

I don't know when to pick up again. Any time Chapter 54 or after he is mostly just a new thing that exists in the comic, and he rarely comes into focus (except one chapter where we see in the past how he and Surma got together in the first place).

12. - Top - End - #1302

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    I have to wonder if Annie's just super over confident about what she could do vs. what Paz is capable of.

Granted, I could be overestimating what training she ever got from Ysengrin.
    Paz is capable of talking to animals. So barring the presence of a particularly dangerous animal she could recruit to her side in a fight, she's going to fare very poorly against Annie, who can set things on fire with her mind.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Paz is capable of talking to animals. So barring the presence of a particularly dangerous animal she could recruit to her side in a fight, she's going to fare very poorly against Annie, who can set things on fire with her mind.
    But is also not a murderer. I decidedly think that this theoretical fight would be much more appropriate to ~14 y.o. (how old are these kids again?) girls in school together than much of the rest of the series otherwise is.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    But is also not a murderer. I decidedly think that this theoretical fight would be much more appropriate to ~14 y.o. (how old are these kids again?) girls in school together than much of the rest of the series otherwise is.
    My musing is more that it feels like Annie is highly over confident (as a person who can (sort of?) fly and just toss around fire would be), but at the same time, is often over turned by her own over confidence. So even though she finds Paz sizing her up amusing, she could also be very wrong.

15. - Top - End - #1305

Annie could beat up boys when she first showed up in the Court. She threw theWinsbury away like a pillow. https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=34

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that does take a bit of skill.
    Im quite certain Annie were correct in her estimate.
    Even before factoring in her ability to set stuff on fire.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

17. - Top - End - #1307

PirateCaptain

According to this flashback, she's a black belt in (presumably) judo. She's also the human torch and has ESP. Paz can talk to animals. Annie can talk to psychopomps. I know who I'm backing.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    According to this flashback, she's a black belt in (presumably) judo. She's also the human torch and has ESP. Paz can talk to animals. Annie can talk to psychopomps. I know who I'm backing.
    The belts are explicitly no specific color. Annie knows some judo. How much is left up in the air.

19. - Top - End - #1309

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    The belts are explicitly no specific color. Annie knows some judo. How much is left up in the air.
    In my haste to post the link I forgot to read the commentary. My apologies.

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Annie could beat up boys when she first showed up in the Court. She threw theWinsbury away like a pillow. https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=34
    Man the old chapters sure look... different...

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I guess where I am getting at is that part of me is expecting Paz to pull something bizarre out in such a confrontation like a friendly Salamander or something like that.

To be fair, I do not expect a confrontation. It just sometimes feel like the story likes to pull rugs out from Annie's feet when she is feeling too confident. Which isn't a bad thing, but it does mean that I end up being skeptical about supposedly 1 sided arguments.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't think that Paz has much to back her threat up with, but she's worried enough to make it anyway.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I mean, this is the girl that summoned a leviathan from the deeps the last time she was underestimated. I fear both.

Also on today's page...uh oh. Not going to be so easy, I guess.

24. - Top - End - #1314

Maybe she summoned the Ashray?

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Titan in the Playground

I wish the cast page would just name the characters, instead of just being a bunch of pictures that link to first appearances.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think Paz might have a shot with powers, swarms of things tend to do a lot of damage (although Annie can make a fireshield.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

27. - Top - End - #1317

PirateCaptain

I wish the cast page would just name the characters, instead of just being a bunch of pictures that link to first appearances.
    Anyone specific? Between us, the thread hivemind probably knows the names of every character in the comic.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone specific? Between us, the thread hivemind probably knows the names of every character in the comic.
    I used to know who all of them where, I just need to refresh my memory... I'm trying to jog loose who Paz is.

(I read the comic as it updated, up to the point where Annie's jerk dad showed up.)

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I used to know who all of them where, I just need to refresh my memory... I'm trying to jog loose who Paz is.

(I read the comic as it updated, up to the point where Annie's jerk dad showed up.)
    Paz is Kat's girlfriend. She's Spanish and has influence over animals.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I mean, this is the girl that summoned a leviathan from the deeps the last time she was underestimated. I fear both.

Also on today's page...uh oh. Not going to be so easy, I guess.
    Wait, what? I don't remember that at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew