New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 203536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 7: Psychopomp and Circumstance

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Wait, what? I don't remember that at all.
    For certain definitions of "summon".
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    With a roar of effort, I make everyone agree with EternalMelon.
    Traa-tan by Demastro

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Bugbear in the Playground

The wiki has a cast list with pictures and names.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EternalMelon View Post
    Huh. I forgot that chapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Titan in the Playground

I think Paz might have a shot with powers, swarms of things tend to do a lot of damage (although Annie can make a fireshield.)
    How would she make any meaningful swarm?
    She doesnt control animals. She talks with them.
    That means she have to bribe/cajole every individual member of a swarm she is making.
    And then rely on animals who are actually bright enough to remember what they are meant to do.

For certain definitions of "summon".
    Im not certain it follows any definition of summon
    Not i guess, more than anyone with a mobile phone can summon a policeman.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    "Hello, this is 911."
    "Man-of-Law, from thy abode I summon thee! Heed thou my call, and work the woe of imprisonment upon my foes!"
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

How would she make any meaningful swarm?
    She doesnt control animals. She talks with them.
    That means she have to bribe/cajole every individual member of a swarm she is making.
    And then rely on animals who are actually bright enough to remember what they are meant to do.

Im not certain it follows any definition of summon
    They are eusocial, she just needs tl bribe the queen 👑.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Titan in the Playground

They are eusocial, she just needs tl bribe the queen
    And what sort of swarm do you think she can talk to, where the queen is smart enough to direct her hive like that?
    Because yes i could see it working with a Zerg swarm. But i cant really imagine many other options.

8. - Top - End - #1328

I bet she could get Seabees to do what she wants.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

And what sort of swarm do you think she can talk to, where the queen is smart enough to direct her hive like that?
    Because yes i could see it working with a Zerg swarm. But i cant really imagine many other options.
    Her power clearly makes animals smarter, as the mouse wasn't just screaming "cheese! Fear! Mate!"

10. - Top - End - #1330

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Her power clearly makes animals smarter, as the mouse wasn't just screaming "cheese! Fear! Mate!"
    "It's A Trap!"
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

We dont have any sort of evidence for that.
    For all we know its a descendent of a forest mouse or something.

Though for that matter it didnt seem much smarter than a regular mouse.

12. - Top - End - #1332

Who is the “new contract” between? Annie and the psychopomps? The Court and the Forest? Annie and the forest?

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

That’s not creepy at all.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

14. - Top - End - #1334

She smiled so its now your turn

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    That’s not creepy at all.
    I thought it was rather cute myself.

16. - Top - End - #1336

You can't handle the tooth!

17. - Top - End - #1337

It's the thing that most of the fandom predicted would be important in stopping that other guy!

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    It's the thing that most of the fandom predicted would be important in stopping that other guy!
    It is a tooth that can cut the very Earth in two. Coyote is not of this Earth, so to speak (ether and whatnot) but with Ysengrin in the mix...
    Either way, its also possible the tooth is meant for use in some other scenario.

Unrelated: what is the thing that Kat appears to be in the Ether anyways? We don't know of course, but what is it? Like, it looks mechanical, but also organic and insectoid. Any ideas? In the bit with the ship, it is seen to be...very, very large, and there is a humanoid protrusion sticking out from the front of it instead of the whole being as a humanoid thing. It's more like a giant monolith I guess?
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-04-29 at 04:53 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    It is a tooth that can cut the very Earth in two. Coyote is not of this Earth, so to speak (ether and whatnot) but with Ysengrin in the mix...
    Either way, its also possible the tooth is meant for use in some other scenario.

Unrelated: what is the thing that Kat appears to be in the Ether anyways? We don't know of course, but what is it? Like, it looks mechanical, but also organic and insectoid. Any ideas? In the bit with the ship, it is seen to be...very, very large, and there is a humanoid protrusion sticking out from the front of it instead of the whole being as a humanoid thing. It's more like a giant monolith I guess?
    My guess is that Kat is the Robotic Angel, with part of her power coming from Robotic influence on the Ether, similar to Coyote's theory that beings like him do not exist.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yeah I think Kat is probably becoming a god in the same way Coyote did, but with robot souls and expectations now effecting the aether. Once robots are fully insinuated into the aether the distinguishing marks between court and woods will be gone, robots will just be crunchy people.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    My guess is that Kat is the Robotic Angel, with part of her power coming from Robotic influence on the Ether, similar to Coyote's theory that beings like him do not exist.
    So you think its kind of a "Kat is human. The idea of Kat is ascending into the point where she is effectively a god."?
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-04-30 at 08:34 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    So you think its kind of a "Kat is human. The idea of Kat is ascending into the point where she is effectively a god."?
    Basically. Gunnerkrigg Court's Metaphysics are kind of nebulous (at least I don't have any concrete reasoning just gut feeling).

All robots upon seeing Kat view her as a angelic figure for Adoration, so it could be that she has a gift for robotics/programming that is akin to the other etheric arts (Annie's Fire, Paz's ability to speak with animals), but grounded in Technology, which explains her ability to make improvements upon Diego's work easily. Kat could serve as a gateway/gatekeeper between Natural Sciences and Etheric Arts. Sort of how Annie as a psychopomp serves the divide between the living and the dead.

I wonder if the idea of belief empowering a creatures existence only matters until a separate identity is formed. Renard the Fox and Ysgrin the Wolf were not such well known stories for common knowledge and belief to power them in the modern day. So there must be some means for Etheric creatures to self actualise themselves after they manifest.

The reason for the above musing is that from the Stormy Seas arc (Kat vs. lovestruck boat), Kat seems to manifest as the Angel envisioned by Zimmy, but as a very binary state, not the more fluid nature that Annie demonstrates as a fire elemental. My thought is this is because Kat isn't really aware of what she is doing (she seems unaware of her transformation). So if she ever became aware of being an Avatar of the Robots, that will change how she behaves and what she can actually accomplish.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder if the idea of belief empowering a creatures existence only matters until a separate identity is formed. Renard the Fox and Ysgrin the Wolf were not such well known stories for common knowledge and belief to power them in the modern day. So there must be some means for Etheric creatures to self actualise themselves after they manifest.
    I don't now about Ysgrin, but the concept that Renard represents is still fairly common in my area. Common enough that I've heard 3-4 different stories about a fox called something fairly similar to Renard at any rate. Oh, and there's a statue of the Fox in a town near where I was born.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2019-05-01 at 08:45 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

24. - Top - End - #1344

The French stopped calling the fox goupil and began calling it renard because of the stories...

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    I don't now about Ysgrin, but the concept that Renard represents is still fairly common in my area. Common enough that I've heard 3-4 different stories about a fox called something fairly similar to Renard at any rate. Oh, and there's a statue of the Fox in a town near where I was born.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    The French stopped calling the fox goupil and began calling it renard because of the stories...
    Fair enough. When I looked at the story of Renard/Renart, the only modern story I could find was the song Reynardine. So I was under the impression that they were not as common. If Renard depends on sustained belief, perhaps that would be enough while Ysgrin slowly degraded.

But then again, Coyote seems to me to be fairly far removed from the stories that would have birthed him. So maybe there is some form of self actualisation involved.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Fair enough. When I looked at the story of Renard/Renart, the only modern story I could find was the song Reynardine. So I was under the impression that they were not as common. If Renard depends on sustained belief, perhaps that would be enough while Ysgrin slowly degraded.

But then again, Coyote seems to me to be fairly far removed from the stories that would have birthed him. So maybe there is some form of self actualisation involved.
    A coyote is an American animal, the red fox and the wolf are pan-northern animals, so their history in European languages is a lot longer.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I guess the premise I am going with (which may differ from others) is that Renard only came around due to the popularity of the stories of Renard the Fox.

Whereas it could also be that Renard (and Ysengrin) took names from those stories, but are in actuality much older.

The reason for me assuming the former is because as noted, Fox and Wolf are common across the Northern Hemisphere, so to me it makes no sense that Coyote heard about Renard from across the water and moved to Britain.

28. - Top - End - #1348

PirateCaptain

Coyote is the most powerful entity in the known Gunnerkrigg universe. Between the massive decline in the Native American population and the partial Christianisation, there shouldn't be enough belief in Coyote left to keep him as powerful as he is. Either it's a certain amount of power to "ascend" and then you keep that power, or it doesn't take a lot of belief to create a being that powerful, which raises the question of why there aren't more beings of Coyote's power level.

29. - Top - End - #1349

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Coyote is the most powerful entity in the known Gunnerkrigg universe. Between the massive decline in the Native American population and the partial Christianisation, there shouldn't be enough belief in Coyote left to keep him as powerful as he is. Either it's a certain amount of power to "ascend" and then you keep that power, or it doesn't take a lot of belief to create a being that powerful, which raises the question of why there aren't more beings of Coyote's power level.
    Who says there aren't? We have no idea what's going on out in the rest of the world away from the Court.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Coyote's ego may be self-sustaining at this point. There's also all the various Forest creatures, who most certainly do believe in Coyote even if the broader human population is moving beyond them.

Possibly Coyote has eaten all the beliefs and stories associated with his general archetype? Ie, he's not just Coyote, he's also feeding on the stories of Raven and B'rer Rabbit and Anansi and Loki and even more modernized trickster figures like Bugs Bunny and.. well, quite a few popular cartoon characters.