New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 7: Psychopomp and Circumstance

Kat, are you really formally agreeing to a long supernatural contract without even skimming it over, let alone carefully reading it?!

Also, see back at my post about "scammers" and "con artists" to it. They give out a shifty as **** feeling to me.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Felius View Post
    Kat, are you really formally agreeing to a long supernatural contract without even skimming it over, let alone carefully reading it?!

Also, see back at my post about "scammers" and "con artists" to it. They give out a shifty as **** feeling to me.
    I'm reminded of the time a bank decided to make a point to their customers by sticking a paragraph about taking ownership of their souls into the middle of a Terms & Conditions sign-up for their online banking or something similar. They sent out a mass e-mail after a month or so saying "thanks for the souls" and admonishing their customers to actually read the contract information. Not that it helped.

I don't know that I agree that they're con-men, they seem as legit as any of the other authorities around. However, the odds of there being some really nasty clause of the contract is pretty damn high, even if it is legitimate.

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

However, compared to the web of contracts they all got themselves committed to without knowing about it until these guys showed up, the fact that she at least had the opportunity to read it is a huge step up.

I don't think the shoe to drop from this chapter will have anything to do with a hidden clause in the new contract as much as the seemingly subtle change in Reynard's status, and the fact that he pretty much stated he'd be on the team even without being forced.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    However, compared to the web of contracts they all got themselves committed to without knowing about it until these guys showed up, the fact that she at least had the opportunity to read it is a huge step up.

I don't think the shoe to drop from this chapter will have anything to do with a hidden clause in the new contract as much as the seemingly subtle change in Reynard's status, and the fact that he pretty much stated he'd be on the team even without being forced.
    I'm actually irked by this notion of "contracts" that can be unknowingly imposed without a person's consent.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I'm actually irked by this notion of "contracts" that can be unknowingly imposed without a person's consent.
    It's borrowed from real life. e.g. Whenever you buy something there is an implicit contract.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    It's borrowed from real life. e.g. Whenever you buy something there is an implicit contract.
    They also didn't buy anything.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It seems to be more of a magical law of nature than a contract in the standard legal sense. Annie owns the cuddly wolf toy, so she has a contract of ownership over it. Same for her skirt, her pens and her eyeshadow, but none of those are possessed by fox spirits, so it never comes up. Everybody in the GC universe has such a contract over everything they own. Might as well complain that entropy keeps increasing when you perform a thermodynamic process without seeking your permission.

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think they can be, normally - the contract is either between a mind and an inanimate object for which the notion of 'consent' is meaningless, or it's made between two sentient creatures and could not normally be made without consent. Diego's arrow, I think, functions by effectively hacking those contracts; the reason there's a problem here is that by using the arrow Kat has inserted herself as a party in contracts that she shouldn't be any part of (and apparently didn't realize this was a thing or figured out how to separate ownership of the various things going through the arrow, because the first thing the Arbiter said was she was trying to illegally transfer Reynardine/ownership of the toy he's inhabiting.. which shouldn't be involved in moving Arthur's mind into the new body at all! Except that both are/were mediated through Kat's computer and the arrow.)

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

It's creepy, but I think that's the point. Unintended contractual obligations are a fixture of faerie tales, folklore, etc. Kinda like 'you eat my lettuce, you owe me your daughter' (-Repunzel), or 'pluck one of my roses, you owe me your life (daughter's freedom acceptable substitute)' -(Beauty and the Beast), or 'you kissed me, now you must serve me for 7 years (additional time if you ever speak)' (-Thomas the Rhymer). Like most stories with children interacting with the supernatural, GK has the set dressing of a schoolyard soap opera but the heart of a horror story.

10. - Top - End - #1390

Sort of like the "social contract".

Also, implied consent is a real thing.

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    Sort of like the "social contract".

Also, implied consent is a real thing.
    More like how the "implied consent" of the "social contract" is the non-choice of "you were born".

Ugh.

12. - Top - End - #1392

More like how the "implied consent" of the "social contract" is the non-choice of "you were born".

Ugh.
    Ugh indeed.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have exactly zero idea of what just happened. Owned Object Reynardine digivolves to Familiar Reynardine! Ergo?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Weirdly, I can wrap my head around this much easier than that nonsense about object ownership.

Imagine Annie’s timeline as a road. Loup created a fork in the road and then merged them back together into the same four-lane highway.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

15. - Top - End - #1395

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Weirdly, I can wrap my head around this much easier than that nonsense about object ownership.

Imagine Annie’s timeline as a road. Loup created a fork in the road and then merged them back together into the same four-lane highway.
    Kat thinks he branched the timelines and cherry-picked Annie out of it so that timeline still exists. Not sure what the Loup of that timeline thinks - or it might be the same Loup.

I wonder which Annie got shifted? Court Annie or Forest Annie?
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

16. - Top - End - #1396

BlueWizardGirl

Ugh.
    I'm willing to allow that the ownership thing is actually the concept of ownership as existing among humans generally. So, some things that may be near universal and possibly hard-wired (like the way dog's have a concept of their territory and their food) and maybe lots of sub-clauses for the cultural things.

But, there's always some kind of supernatural what's-it in the background for the inherently human things (I'm still not sure if the comic goes with those being created by human belief or human belief merely being one of those things that sustains them).

Anyhow, the anthropomorphic manifestation of the human concept of ownership almost never gets invoked. It doesn't oversee things like theft, it oversees things like violations of the underlying concept. This may have been its first showing in millennia.

Yeah, I find inter-dimensional Annies are much easier to wrap my head around, too.
    Last edited by Ellen; 2019-06-14 at 09:41 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Yeah, I find inter-dimensional Annies are much easier to wrap my head around, too.
    I think I probably will once it is explained, but there are so many multi-universe theories, and they kind of only work for solar system sized universes most of the time.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    I wonder which Annie got shifted? Court Annie or Forest Annie?
    Neither. There was only The One Annie.

The Forest Annie got removed from her reality and moved into the reality of the Court Annie.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

19. - Top - End - #1399

I wonder if the court is at war with the forest in the other timeline.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I think I would have preferred Loup creating a version of Annie and sending her out of the forest. Something like Annie's time in the forest has left hair, blood, skin, and memories around that Loup could use the argument in the ether as a moment to manifest a perfect replica of Annie in the first hours of their conversation. This replica was sent from the Forest and became Court Annie.

Perhaps Loup thinks they can control Court Annie as one of their creations, but Court Annie has enough independence of thought to not be compelled.

Multi dimension theory cloning always makes me roll my eyes.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Ogre in the Playground

So, understand that while this is An Explanation, it might not be The Explanation. I still don't entirely trust these guys and would not be surprised if this is misdirection.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    So, understand that while this is An Explanation, it might not be The Explanation. I still don't entirely trust these guys and would not be surprised if this is misdirection.
    Well it would certainly be convenient and possible for Loup to be disguised as this duo in order to direct spur them on. The 'recorded' message could have been the same thing too.

23. - Top - End - #1403

Spoiler
    Show
    Neither? Now that is a surprise. Hmm best to just keep them who knows what is the status of the one that should be there.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neither? Now that is a surprise. Hmm best to just keep them who knows what is the status of the one that should be there.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The implication is that there is an Annie that does belong in this timestream, which makes three.

25. - Top - End - #1405

The chapter 54 video is up. The next one is "The Breakout." Any guesses as to how long the retrospective video for a one-page chapter will be? I'm guessing between 3 and 8 minutes.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    The chapter 54 video is up. The next one is "The Breakout." Any guesses as to how long the retrospective video for a one-page chapter will be? I'm guessing between 3 and 8 minutes.
    Nah, to properly complete the joke it has to be under a minute, preferably under 30 seconds.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Damn. I was hoping for an abomination.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2019-06-21 at 02:19 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1408

Is that Arthur?

29. - Top - End - #1409

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Is that Arthur?
    It was in Arthur's anti-coffin, so presumably yes.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Damn. I was hoping for an abomination.
    Well, he was supposed to look like this:

Spoiler
    Show