New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 7: Psychopomp and Circumstance

Tony is complicated. But, even though his abuse and abandonment of Annie aren't rooted in bad things, that doesn't alter the damage he's done (if there was any chance at all there was some kind of safe -to-approach therapist in the Court, I'd tell him to go. But, Zimmy and Jones will open their joint comedy review on Broadway long before that ever happens).

There are some rules about when you have a friend who's being abused. One is that you don't befriend the abuser, and this is getting too close to that. You especially don't do it behind your friend's back.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    We may be about to find out how Anthony wound up with Surma, at last.
    That would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    It's possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kat has simply changed her mind.
    I don't know. Granted, the way Kat said a few things to acknowledge that it would seem odd to Annie, for example, "Haha, this must seem pretty weird, right?" makes it seem real and natural. Kat is basically lampshading how unexpected it was. Still, I think there could be something supernatural going on.

Perhaps Kat being friendly with Tony, the chewing out Red gave Annie, and the awkwardness with Smitty and Parley will drive Annie to spend more time with the Pyschopomps. If the pomps manipulated living people more, I would have suspected them of attempting to separate Annie from her friends by manipulating her friends' behaviors. I don't think the pomps are actually doing so, but I wonder if Annie's agreement with them has somehow fated her to separate from her friends and if her friends are behaving differently because of the agreement. That agreement should have affected something and we haven't seen anything else come from it.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-07-18 at 11:34 AM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Gunnerkrigg as usual.

Annie expects people to hate her father. And that creates a feeling of normalcy for her.

I mean if Annie openly hated him, tried to get way from him, blamed him (justifiably) for stuff he did, this whole scene makes a lot more sense. But no? She's just triggered by the idea of people getting along with him? Wut.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Antimony's paranoia is something I find very believable. Her friend, Reynardine, can possess people; she helped Jack Hyland when he was possessed by a whitelegs; Aliyu can mess with people using illusion magic. There are probably many other examples of this sort of thing I'm not remembering as well.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Plus, let's be honest, "yeah, I know he completely ****ed up my best friend's childhood and his mere presence regressed her into a little child, but he tells some okay jokes, so I like him now" would seem out of character for Kat. This is a girl that has punched a god in the stomach for being less of a **** to Antimony than Anthony's been.

Paranoia seems entirely justified. But I'm expecting the answer is going to be something disappointing like "oh, right, the abuse and being a horrible human being thing. I got so caught up on SCIENCE that I forgot about that".

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I hope nobody was expecting answers in Friday's strip.

Kat is confused, Annie is confused, I am confused also. Kat's mom too, probably.

Just hope Annie doesn't flip out and go all fiery in the Donlan house.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    I hope nobody was expecting answers in Friday's strip.
    Of course not, it's Friday.

Kat is confused, Annie is confused, I am confused also. Kat's mom too, probably.

Just hope Annie doesn't flip out and go all fiery in the Donlan house.
    I am not sure 'confusion' is the right term for Annie's state right now. Rather, I believe she is thinking what was previously literally unthinkable: That her father, who she believes has the means to control people like he controls her, manipulated her mother into marrying him, and she is the product of a loveless, unwilling union.

Anja knows the true story, it is PAST time for her to start talking.

(The humans around Annie aren't treating her very well. They didn't tell her about being a fire elemental, Coyote had to do that. They didn't tell her she was the cause of her mother's death, Rey did that in a moment of anger. They're not telling her how her jerk of a father and her loving mother became a couple. It's really hard to grow up when you're being emotionally clotheslined every time you turn around.)

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I am not sure 'confusion' is the right term for Annie's state right now. Rather, I believe she is thinking what was previously literally unthinkable: That her father, who she believes has the means to control people like he controls her, manipulated her mother into marrying him, and she is the product of a loveless, unwilling union.

Anja knows the true story, it is PAST time for her to start talking.

(The humans around Annie aren't treating her very well. They didn't tell her about being a fire elemental, Coyote had to do that. They didn't tell her she was the cause of her mother's death, Rey did that in a moment of anger. They're not telling her how her jerk of a father and her loving mother became a couple. It's really hard to grow up when you're being emotionally clotheslined every time you turn around.)
    Uh, I always figured that the "how I met your father/mother" story is best left to the parent in question. Now this is Anthony we're talking about here so that's probably a no go, but maybe Annie didn't even ask the Donlans? Annie has a history of keeping her thoughts and feelings to herself and then jumping to wild conclusions.

Wait, how is Anthony "controlling" Annie again?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Update
    Show
    Wow, that was maybe the least comforting way that particular sentiment could possibly have been expressed.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Spoiler: Update
    Show
    Wow, that was maybe the least comforting way that particular sentiment could possibly have been expressed.
    Spoiler: I like spoilers
    Show
    Yeah, especially to the daughter of the couple in question. And someone who by all accounts appears to be in a happy and loving marriage. Maybe Anja shares Eglamore's opinions regarding Tony, but doesn't voice them aloud for reasons.

The other angle I can think of, is that falling in love led to them having a child and Surma eventually dying. But that's a rather unpleasant line of thought, what with Annie right there in the room.

That's the end of chapter mark in the corner isn't it?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: new page
    Show
    Maybe it's more mundane. The two fell in love but they were still a really bad fit. They wouldn't admit it to themselves so they had a miserable marriage and life.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Mystery solved!
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

I am having even more difficulty believing Surma actually fell in love with Anthony Carver than I am with Kat making friends with him. Brinnie may have gone for that handsome face and that unemotional demeanor, but I can't see Surma having the same tastes.

Wait, how is Anthony "controlling" Annie again?
    I suspect that's part of why she believes him capable of mind control. He gives an order, no matter how repugnant or distressing ("Wash off your make up, leave all of your friends and drop back a grade, live in near isolation and austere conditions, and hand over control of Reynard to me") and she obeys almost without thought. I don't think the idea of saying "No" enters her mind. The fault may lie, not in Tony, though, but in her. She has serious Daddy issues.

(If you think about it, she may have no choice. Ever since the original fire elemental had a daughter and probably wound up accidentally downloading itself into the kid, all of Annie's ancestors have lost their mothers eventually and been left dependent on their fathers. If the fire elemental remembers all that, naturally its current host will be driven to try to win Daddy's favor no matter what...)

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

If the fire elemental remembers all that, naturally its current host will be driven to try to win Daddy's favor no matter what...
    Any child would be very much emotionally driven in the same direction. Annie must be absolutely terrified of losing him again, even with him being an utter ass. Her father's abandonment traumatized her horribly.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler: I like spoilers
    Show
    Yeah, especially to the daughter of the couple in question. And someone who by all accounts appears to be in a happy and loving marriage. Maybe Anja shares Eglamore's opinions regarding Tony, but doesn't voice them aloud for reasons.

The other angle I can think of, is that falling in love led to them having a child and Surma eventually dying. But that's a rather unpleasant line of thought, what with Annie right there in the room.

That's the end of chapter mark in the corner isn't it?
    I think Anja thinks Surma's marriage to Tony and pregnancy was a bad thing. It resulted in Tony and Surma cutting off ties with their friends and Surma dying, after all. "But to cut off all contact! Anja was heartbroken!" Also, Anja was empathizing with Annie during the dinner with Tony and seemed to have only awkward interactions with Tony, so I doubt she ever liked him much.

There was also some mention of "that business with James." I pretty sure that Anja would have preferred him over Tony. Whatever that business was, it apparently made things even worse.

If Tony had been using some sort of magic on Surma, as Annie suspected, that would have been something that could have been fixed. If it was legitimate mutual love, it wasn't a problem that could be fixed and any attempts to fix it would have backfired. That may be why mutual love was worse that some sort of abusive magic. There could be more. Anja wouldn't have known about it, but Tony's obsessive love of Surma lead to him loosing his hand and harming Annie. Also, holding back Annie a year and the excessive schoolwork he gave her are motivated by his love for Annie. Obviously, Tony's love doesn't always result in good things happening. Perhaps there were other examples of that sort of thing in the past, too. Also, In her mind, Surma may be blaming Tony for things that weren't really his fault, such as Surma's decision to not visit her friends.

Granted, the way Anja is behaving is probably not the best for Annie to hear. This seems to be yet another example of Annie running into weird situations with other people in the Court.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-07-24 at 12:19 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tom is one of those writers who constantly meta-snipes at the readers isn't he

But this gives me hope that the next chapter maybe might possibly deal with how Anthony and Surma got together, instead of branching off to another topic entirely.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Tom is one of those writers who constantly meta-snipes at the readers isn't he
    Put it this way, Tom Sidell is Coyote's totem animal.
    Truth resists simplicity.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Firbolg in the Playground

The next chapter's title has been revealed...

I'm expecting this to be another flash-back chapter a la Chapter 22.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I'm expecting this to be another flash-back chapter a la Chapter 22.
    Yes, that seems to be consistent with Tom saying, "What we do here is go back."

Is it supposed to look like the bug is transmitting with its antennas?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

So, relating to somewhat less recent events in the comic: I was doing some rereading when I came across treatise page 6. Kat's wearing the symbol of the shadow men in it!

Which I guess foreshadows that she's going to be involved with them more after she helps Juliette and Arthur. Or possibly just her current involvement with Juliette and Arthur.
    Awesome Edward Elric avatar by gurgleflep!
    Let's Watch Steins;Gate!

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mondays. Spoilers in case people come to the thread before checking the comic itself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well that's an...interesting look for Don. I guess they're late teens or young adults in this? I'm inclined to think that looks like a college or university recreation area, but I'm just guessing here.

Unsurprisingly, Surma and Don look sad in sympathy, while Anthony has a neutral, maybe slightly curious look.

Are we really going to have a "pair the spares" plotline going on here. There's reason to believe that James at some point was so busy with training that his relationship with Surma suffered.

22. - Top - End - #142

Is this the first we've heard about Anja's parents?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Is this the first we've heard about Anja's parents?
    I believe so, though admittedly I'm not going to sift through 1,800 pages to double check. Can't recall any important plot points that involved the parents' parents.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Anja's mother's death? That would fit the reactions.

I believe so, though admittedly I'm not going to sift through 1,800 pages to double check. Can't recall any important plot points that involved the parents' parents.
    This is true. We saw Eglamore's parents when Jones came to collect him, we've heard of Donald's Scottish ancestry, and we know who Brinnie's 'father' must be. But aside from those, parents of the photo group haven't been mentioned,

Anthony may not have any...

25. - Top - End - #145

Also, in case anyone missed it, Tom posted the Chapter 41 Retrospective video on Youtube.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Anja's mother's death? That would fit the reactions.

This is true. We saw Eglamore's parents when Jones came to collect him, we've heard of Donald's Scottish ancestry, and we know who Brinnie's 'father' must be. But aside from those, parents of the photo group haven't been mentioned,

Anthony may not have any...
    We know she's not a native English speaker and her family are gypsies.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Anthony is so smooth. I am STILL not buying Surma falls for him without some form of mind control.

That's it! Tony's got a power similar to Rey's, and he can make people obey him through their eyes! And Surma just fell into his trap by rolling hers!

Please?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

It seemed like too serious of a situation for Surma to be rolling her eyes and Tony's awkwardness. At least, that's the way it came across to me. If Tom hadn't said, "Rolleyes," I would have thought she was trying to think of what to do or say.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Friday

Spoiler
    Show
    We seem to be building up to Anthony and Surma going on some kind of trip together. I have absolutely no idea why Anja is so distraught by the idea of the Anthony/Don trip being cancelled though, since it's clearly due to an unexpected tragedy. Must be...really important. Are they going to view a 70-year comet or something.

This setup is looking more and more like a Hallmark Channel romantic comedy.

Him: I don't really care about her
    Her: He's so weird

*hijinks ensue*

Them: We're totally in love!

30. - Top - End - #150