New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 7: Psychopomp and Circumstance

And Tony seems to me to be... well, he fits the pattern of people with high functioning autism, to a degree. Cold and reserved under a lot of circumstances, but opens up when he's allowed to talk about his interests. Also, spending time alone with someone probably lets him calibrate his social empathy for that person so he can start to understand what they're feeling when if he has interact with them mostly in the form of groups he might not be able to pinpoint their emotions particularly well, but after some time alone with them, it becomes easier.

I still think Tony's an ass, especially due to how he's treated Annie. But as someone who was recently diagnosed with high functioning autism, I can't really help but understand why he's presented the way he is, if my theory is correct.
    Last edited by Shadow of the Sun; 2017-08-28 at 02:43 AM.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

No, Surma, it's his mind control powers starting to make themselves felt! Don't fall for his trickery! Set him on fire, instead!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

I'm just bored of this whole thing. I don't really care about how Annie's parent got together. I don't really care about Annie's parents at all.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    I'm just bored of this whole thing. I don't really care about how Annie's parent got together. I don't really care about Annie's parents at all.
    Personally, I'm like "look, Tom, if you want me to like Anthony, you're a few years and a bunch of comics too late".

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Personally, I'm like "look, Tom, if you want me to like Anthony, you're a few years and a bunch of comics too late".
    I think this chapter is important, even if people aren't enjoying it, specifically because it's supposed to be showing that Tony (and Surma, but more Tony) are actual characters with flaws and characteristics rather than just being a 2-D cut out who fills a specific role in the story.

The goal is not supposed to make the readers like Tony (even though I do, but I'm biased) but more to get them to understand that he isn't a caricature or a walking drama bomb.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

6. - Top - End - #186

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    The goal is not supposed to make the readers like Tony (even though I do, but I'm biased) but more to get them to understand that he isn't a caricature or a walking drama bomb.
    He definitely still is a walking drama bomb though.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

NO, Surma, don't enter into his web of sin and deception! I keep telling you, girl, LIGHT HIM UP! You'll feel better for it.

At least, *I* would feel better for it...

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

The envelope has the omega symbol in addition to the court's bismuth symbol, so maybe we will learn something about the Omega project. That might make this chapter a bit more interesting.

I'm surprised that Surma isn't getting angry becauseTony has been laughing at her. That doesn't seem realistic to me. She should already have her fire elemental temper, right?

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    The envelope has the omega symbol in addition to the court's bismuth symbol, so maybe we will learn something about the Omega project. That might make this chapter a bit more interesting.

I'm surprised that Surma isn't getting angry becauseTony has been laughing at her. That doesn't seem realistic to me. She should already have her fire elemental temper, right?
    She's kind of an airhead, isn't she? Not the way I pictured her.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

And Tony's love of science extends to the fact that Surma is part fire elemental.

...man, the adults in Annie's life really suck, they should have told her about the Fire Elemental aspect way sooner.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Neither Tony nor Surma are much the way I'd have imagined them at that age. Which isn't too surprising, honestly. People are changed by life, and these two'll go through a lot.
    Truth resists simplicity.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

OK, Surma, now's your chance! I realize you haven't been listening to me, but now, LISTEN TO ME! If things go on like this you're going to wind up married to this jerk. So overdo it and LIGHT HIS FIRE and I don't mean sexually!

She also apparently isn't much in touch her her Fire side, at this point, even if she later learns to use her power to fly. So either Annie is exceptional, or Surma is... eh.

13. - Top - End - #193

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    OK, Surma, now's your chance! I realize you haven't been listening to me, but now, LISTEN TO ME! If things go on like this you're going to wind up married to this jerk. So overdo it and LIGHT HIS FIRE and I don't mean sexually!

She also apparently isn't much in touch her her Fire side, at this point, even if she later learns to use her power to fly. So either Annie is exceptional, or Surma is... eh.
    Well, considering that Annie is the first human to be made Forest Medium, her being exceptional doesn't seem all that strange.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Wasn't Surma supposed to be more fiery than her daughter? Something about her fire being tempered by Tony's blahness

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Wasn't Surma supposed to be more fiery than her daughter? Something about her fire being tempered by Tony's blahness
    Basically, yes. Here Surma is coming across as much more passive and calm than Annie.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Basically, yes. Here Surma is coming across as much more passive and calm than Annie.
    This gets metaphysical real fast. Surma may be less calm than Antimony. It may be, though, that Coyote didn't get the full picture. It's also possible that Coyote is lying, although I don't see his angle in doing so.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

So far Surma hasn't been put through anything like the stress we've seen Annie subjected to.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    This gets metaphysical real fast. Surma may be less calm than Antimony. It may be, though, that Coyote didn't get the full picture. It's also possible that Coyote is lying, although I don't see his angle in doing so.
    Coyote doesn't lie.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Hi! Longtime lurker jumping into the light for the first time.

I've got an axe to grind regarding Tony, cause I still don't think he should be forgiven for his actions. Yeah, we know why he treated Antimony badly and he has a tragic backstory, but that doesn't change the fact that he treated Antimony terribly. Therefore, I'm none too thrilled to see this chapter focus on him and Surma getting together, because no matter how much we humanize him, there is precious little that can excuse his actions.

All that being said, the most recent comic has me confused. Have we seen other people while Annie's doing her out-of-body thing before?

Anyways, back to the shadows! *scuttles out of the spotlight
    Last edited by NRSASD; 2017-09-06 at 08:12 AM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NRSASD View Post
    Hi! Longtime lurker jumping into for the first time.

I've got an axe to grind regarding Tony, cause I still don't think he should be forgiven for his actions. Yeah, we know why he treated Antimony badly and he has a tragic backstory, but that doesn't change the fact that he treated Antimony terribly. Therefore, I'm none too thrilled to see this chapter focus on him and Surma getting together, because no matter how much we humanize him, there is precious little that can excuse his actions.

All that being said, the most recent comic has me confused. Have we seen other people while Annie's doing her out-of-body thing before?

I think that even people who like Tony, including me, will admit that his actions are neglect and abuse. (Forcing Annie to redo a year I think is not necessarily too bad since she'd been, y'know, cheating, but the rest? Sure.)

But abusers also tend to be 3D people rather than flat cut outs, so I like that we're getting a comic like this.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

Don't laugh, Surma, that's the FACE OF EVIL! Roast him!!

Quote Originally Posted by NRSASD View Post
    Hi! Longtime lurker jumping into the light for the first time.

Hear here. I don't like Tony, either. It will take a lot to make me change my opinion. But I am curious about why he is as he is, and what is motivating him. So far, despite my constant urging that Surma incinerate him, I'm finding this chapter interesting.
    Last edited by eee; 2017-09-06 at 11:19 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Because the most recent page was Avatar worthy:

Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

I'm still going to stick with my avatar, but I hope someone will swap theirs.

GNU Terry Pratchett

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Don't laugh, Surma, that's the FACE OF EVIL! Roast him!!
    That's a name I haven't heard in a long time ... a long time.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-09-08 at 02:16 AM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

24. - Top - End - #204

Antony has got this "subject avoidance" thing down, it seems.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I'm not sure where the comic is going with this.

Surma is not what I expected. I figured she was more rough and tumble than Annie from the glimpses we had of her before. Instead, I'm not sure what her strengths are or what really motivates her. So, I'm not really attaching to her in this story.

(I'm also completely lost about what a certain white wolf in the Forest saw in her, but that's another issue).

I suspect the story is going to try and make me like Tony. But, while I'll cut him some slack for what a terrible father he's been--there's more incompetence than malice in him--he's still a terrible father who's hurt his daughter badly and is likely to keep on hurting her.

Kat's parents have a close up view of what he's doing to Antimony. If they've told him, he's not listening. If they haven't told him, then we've got adults who won't intervene to keep a man from abusing his daughter but who will gaslight the daughter to tell her why her dad isn't such a bad guy and how she should let this go.

But, that may not be the aim of this story. Also, Anja didn't go into this trying to win Annie over to a different POV. Instead, she's responding to finding out Annie thinks her father forced her mother into a relationship against her will.

Which puts me back to square one and not knowing how to take this.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty sure Renard was a fox back when he had the hots for Surma.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I'm not sure where the comic is going with this.

Surma is not what I expected. I figured she was more rough and tumble than Annie from the glimpses we had of her before. Instead, I'm not sure what her strengths are or what really motivates her. So, I'm not really attaching to her in this story.

(I'm also completely lost about what a certain white wolf in the Forest saw in her, but that's another issue).

I suspect the story is going to try and make me like Tony. But, while I'll cut him some slack for what a terrible father he's been--there's more incompetence than malice in him--he's still a terrible father who's hurt his daughter badly and is likely to keep on hurting her.

Kat's parents have a close up view of what he's doing to Antimony. If they've told him, he's not listening. If they haven't told him, then we've got adults who won't intervene to keep a man from abusing his daughter but who will gaslight the daughter to tell her why her dad isn't such a bad guy and how she should let this go.

But, that may not be the aim of this story. Also, Anja didn't go into this trying to win Annie over to a different POV. Instead, she's responding to finding out Annie thinks her father forced her mother into a relationship against her will.

Which puts me back to square one and not knowing how to take this.
    It seems that Anthony has greatly pulled back his abuse. Annie's still living in the weird giant dorm room thing, but otherwise he seems to be about as hands-off now as he was before he showed up. He's given back Reynard, she's got plenty of freedom. It seems like she's suffering some consequences for cheating (Held back a grade, put under careful scrutiny with her homework), but that's not unreasonable.

Which isn't to say that Anthony isn't a terrible father who heaped horrible emotional and mental abuse upon his daughter, because that is VERY much the case.

We've actually gotten a pretty good picture of Anthony Carver. He keeps his emotions bottled up, he rarely talks, and he doesn't really feel comfortable dealing with anybody outside a very specific group of people, but to them he's a normal, if somewhat reserved, guy.

His biggest problem is that he, apparently, cannot deal with strong emotions. His wife died, and so he abandoned his daughter and wandered the globe searching for an answer. When he saw his daughter again, he couldn't handle that, and his instinct was apparently to publicly shame and humiliate her. It doesn't seem like he's ever really been comfortable interacting with Annie, and that hasn't changed since he returned.

The whole whisky chapter with Kat's dad was supposed to demonstrate that, around people he's comfortable with, he's pretty normal guy, albeit one with extremely unhealthy coping mechanisms. I guess the point of this chapter is to show us what Surma (And by extension I guess everybody else) saw in him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    It seems that Anthony has greatly pulled back his abuse. Annie's still living in the weird giant dorm room thing, but otherwise he seems to be about as hands-off now as he was before he showed up. He's given back Reynard, she's got plenty of freedom. It seems like she's suffering some consequences for cheating (Held back a grade, put under careful scrutiny with her homework), but that's not unreasonable.

Which isn't to say that Anthony isn't a terrible father who heaped horrible emotional and mental abuse upon his daughter, because that is VERY much the case.

We've actually gotten a pretty good picture of Anthony Carver. He keeps his emotions bottled up, he rarely talks, and he doesn't really feel comfortable dealing with anybody outside a very specific group of people, but to them he's a normal, if somewhat reserved, guy.

His biggest problem is that he, apparently, cannot deal with strong emotions. His wife died, and so he abandoned his daughter and wandered the globe searching for an answer. When he saw his daughter again, he couldn't handle that, and his instinct was apparently to publicly shame and humiliate her. It doesn't seem like he's ever really been comfortable interacting with Annie, and that hasn't changed since he returned.

The whole whisky chapter with Kat's dad was supposed to demonstrate that, around people he's comfortable with, he's pretty normal guy, albeit one with extremely unhealthy coping mechanisms. I guess the point of this chapter is to show us what Surma (And by extension I guess everybody else) saw in him.
    Agreed. Tom did a good job of making me feel sorry for the guy. That doesn't mean I forgive him, but I no longer wish to punch him in the face. Dude has serious emotional problems, particularly regarding Antimony since on some level he blames her for Surma's death.

He's a character in need of redemption, and I hope he finds it.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Pretty sure Renard was a fox back when he had the hots for Surma.
    You're right. While there's an obvious excuse for getting it wrong (his current form), I should be able to keep it straight.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I don't know if the dorm is Tony's idea or the Court's. It does feel like the Court is trying to push everything they can. They probably gave Tony the two options, and he deemed the current situation the better one.