New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Online PnP roleplay?

For some (long) time now, I have been looking for a way to play D&D (preferrably) online. Some of you might say "Look at the forums in these boards!", but I have found their games to die like that, and they're not newbie friendly (at all). So I call out and ask you, do you have any suggestion for a place online to find people to organize games with etc. Via a forum or IM or anything, really. There's only a single person in my area interested in D&D and we do play on occasion, but I have for a long time (forever) been longing to play.. 'real' games of D&D.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Online PnP roleplay?

I know that most of the games die but if you find the 1 in 100 game that lives and does not die your set
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'm a big fan of AIM-based gaming as well.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

ufo, if you can get your hands Open RPG, I'm currently developing a home-brew setting and I'd be willing to run a game in it over Open RPG... send me a PM!
    *Evil grin* "Snip snip."
    Kayru, City of Ancients (OOC)

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    The wizard sleeps the fighter, and/or greases him for sneak attack, and/or uses color spray. And/or makes him too weak to use his armour. And does the laundry.

Avatar by Starwoof! Thank you kind sir!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I'm once again working on an app to play D&D in a web browser. Chat won't be too terribly sophisticated (my sample users plan on using ventrilo regardless how how fancy I make the chat) but it will be serviceable for chat/die rolling. The battlemap is slowing me down though. I'm embedding an svg doc inside firefox and modifying it with javascript. This won't be ready any time in the near future, but I'll make a big post about it when its in beta.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

go with openrpg or maptools, each for their own reasons.
    openrpg is linked above, maptools is at www.rptools.net

They each have their own merits. MapTools is a bit more complicated (in my opinion) to get used to, but runs smoother and is much more pretty. OpenRPG is a bit more blatant in functionality, and has the server/rooms set up that makes grouping easier to do.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

You could try: http://www.rpol.net/
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

[self-promotion]
    http://vethedar.proboards25.com/index.cgi
    [/self-promotion]

Vethedar is a play-by-post forum that I run, in a homebrew world where the humanoid races had been treated more or less as slaves and property by tyrannical dragon-rulers, until about 500 years ago. They still suffer attacks on a semi-regular basis, but the worst part of the war is over; Now they're struggling just to survive under the pressure of dragons trying to take back what they see as their rightful place.

It may not be exactly what you're looking for, you seem to be looking for more of a chat-styled thing, but if you're interested, Vethedar will take as many players as want to join.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    I'm once again working on an app to play D&D in a web browser. Chat won't be too terribly sophisticated (my sample users plan on using ventrilo regardless how how fancy I make the chat) but it will be serviceable for chat/die rolling. The battlemap is slowing me down though. I'm embedding an svg doc inside firefox and modifying it with javascript. This won't be ready any time in the near future, but I'll make a big post about it when its in beta.
    Oh cool. Would it work on a mac?

10. - Top - End - #10

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tor the Fallen View Post
    Oh cool. Would it work on a mac?
    Seems like it would, since it runs in a browser...
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?