New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1073 - The Discussion Thread

I wonder if this comic's title has two meanings...

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I do not agree. The OoTS gets mission failure if the ship cannot fly. Elan's effort is in a lot of ways the main effort: keep the ship flying. As such, whatever it takes is a resource well spent since failure to expend that resource ends the chance for mission success. The enemy has a mission success mode of "stop the ship." Countering the enemy's mission is also a path to mission success. Elan's action are not a waste. They are critical nodes on the path to success.

Remember: it's about mission success (over all optimized collective action) not optimization of one small sub set of the operation. Larger scale optimization often requires some subordinate functions to be suboptimal. (Lessons of real life program management, project management, mission success, etc).
    None of this in any way supports the thesis that necessary things cannot be wasteful. They remain two different values in two different scales: the action can be a "10" on "importance", while still being a "1" in "appropriate use of resources".

I'd also argue that at current time, casting Mend is both wasteful and unimportant, because the ship is not going anywhere anyway, so fixing the gas bag is not in the critical path: delaying the action will not impact their ability to leave. Killing the giant and thus giving a crew member the chance to patch the gas bag themselves with non-magical means is as viable to critical success as casting mend right now, and will be less wasteful. Not that Roy or Elan realise this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    "Wasteful" implies spending resources in a foolish or shortsided way. If it is absolutely necessary to spend a resource to achieve vital goals they aren't wasted.
    No, wasteful implies spending more resources than needed. Even if it is necessary (and in this case, as per the above, that is doubtful), that doesn't stop it from having reduced your resources more than strictly necessary.

In SW development, wasteful actions are common, as a counter to clarity. In many a case, you can write clean code, or efficient code, but not both. This is both expected and acceptable. But that doesn't mean you can simply ignore efficiency - while it is generally accepted that clarity has a slight edge to efficiency (because it saves a different resource, time, down the line when the code is revisited), you still want to maintain an unequal balance between the two. This is where comments are supposed to cover the gap, BTW, not that you ever encounter such things in RL.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-05-26 at 10:20 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Yay! Andi is back to Engineering and Elan gets to be useful again.

Also - they should be catching up with the rest of the party any moment now.
    Skipper of the Good Ship O-ChOona (accepting crew applications)
    Launched June 3, 2016. Oona+O-Chul OTP Forever!!!!

"Like a tenacious child we were born, born to be wild ...
    we're gonna climb so high we're never gonna die" - Steppenwolf

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

NOW Mechane crew!

While Andi's head is underneath the table and she's actually doing the job she's supposed to do (and ironically utterly neglecting the job she thrust herself into by not Captaining), free Bandana and get some competent leadership going in here.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

"Sunrise Gravy!"

I now have a new battle cry. Thank you.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

What's next, Roy? Gonna try to distract the giant by blowing her kisses?

Enough foreplay! Get in there and start killing!
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-05-26 at 10:23 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I do not agree. The OoTS gets mission failure if the ship cannot fly. Elan's effort is in a lot of ways the main effort: keep the ship flying. As such, whatever it takes is a resource well spent since failure to expend that resource ends the chance for mission success. The enemy has a mission success mode of "stop the ship." Countering the enemy's mission is also a path to mission success. Elan's action are not a waste. They are critical nodes on the path to success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    "Wasteful" implies spending resources in a foolish or shortsided way. If it is absolutely necessary to spend a resource to achieve vital goals they aren't wasted.
    For an example, if a man is starving to death, and comes across a five-star restaurant with all dishes costing more than double digits, then it is both necessary for him to order food to eat and wasteful to spend so much on it.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-05-26 at 10:24 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I like the proactive move from Andi, but yeah, it's undercut by the fact that it's just her finally doing her job - as chief engineer, not captain.

The frost giant warrior is amazing. It feels like the whole airship bit is winding down soon (that might just be the Giant's blistering pace right now), so I hope she gets in a few more good licks and quips.
    Even the wind will know agony.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Poor Elan can't catch a break. All his work keeps being undone. Wonder how long it will be before Andi blows herself up?
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

I'm really putting this on crashing the ship. It's taking so much damage and Andi is obviously incompetent.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    Usually it's a cleric that would be saying Elan's lines.
    Truly, he is understanding the plight of the cleric.

Also, he's doing a halfway decent job of support.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

"FWONK!" is an amazing sound effect that should be used far more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    Truly, he is understanding the plight of the cleric.

Also, he's doing a halfway decent job of support.
    His father is probably livid somewhere and doesn't really understand why.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, was that from the Hobbit book?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Wow, rapid fire! Nice to see Andy doing something useful; with a bit of luck, Bandana can do some interim captaining in the meantime.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Because that would require her to have such an absurd degree of luck in her engineering that it stretches plausibility. It seems incredibly unlikely that she could consistently enter such dangerous circumstances unaware and make it out without getting hurt over years and years of engineering.
    Well, it is the Mechane....

16. - Top - End - #46

And the next shoe should be dropping in 5...4...3...2...

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Things seem to be continuing to get worse. I wonder if Haley and company are going to be able to find their way back and save the day. Also, I'm sure Roy's not the only one doing some Catching Up...

Peelee’s Lotsey

18. - Top - End - #48
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chei View Post
    I like the proactive move from Andi, but yeah, it's undercut by the fact that it's just her finally doing her job - as chief engineer, not captain.
    Is it really an undercut, though? Or is it an integral part of Andi, perhaps, beginning to realize how focused her area of competence is and how out of depth she is in the role of captain?
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yay, Andi is doing something useful for once!
    Yay, a new comic already! Thanks, Giant!
    Epic anarchist avatar made by Linklele. Thanks!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I'd also argue that at current time, casting Mend is both wasteful and unimportant, because the ship is not going anywhere anyway,
    Nice exposition on the Andi theory of running a ship. Thanks, I'll not vote for you as captain on any pirate ship we may both be on in the future as pirates.

All in all, I think we are going to end up needing to agree to disagree on this.

@Peelee:
    "Starving" is a continuum. How much longer can this person keep going to find other food? You left that out of your example, so the example doesn't suit the issue of Elan expending spells to keep the Mechane airworthy. With no Mechane you fail your mission. Not just getting through the pass, The Whole Mission. V has no teleport. Time is a factor in foiling Durkula.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2017-05-26 at 12:21 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

I'd also argue that at current time, casting Mend is both wasteful and unimportant, because the ship is not going anywhere anyway,
    Nice exposition on the Andi theory of running a ship.
    What makes you think Andi is doing any sort of triaging?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

22. - Top - End - #52
    Firbolg in the Playground

We've truly come full circle if Elan is the one trying to fix Roy's mistakes. The apocalypse is nigh!

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Nice exposition on the Andi theory of running a ship.
    Lets run down the current immediate circumstances:

1) The ship hasn't got enough helium to leave the valley.
    2) The ship is stationary
    3) There is a giant intent on further damaging the ship

Fixing the envelope does not solve any of those three tasks, therefore in it not in the critical path, and thus it is not as urgent as addressing those three items.

At best, "fixing the envelope" is a subtask of 1, but given that it needs to be paired with "summon more helium" which requires the crew to be able to perform their job, it seems addressing task 3 is far more critical to the success of the project.

Consequently, Elan using a level-2 spell slot to cast a Mend it is both wasteful and not all that crucial. Getting rid of the giant, thus allowing crew members to patch the envelope with, say, spare canvas and some glue, is a much less wasteful path to success.*

But, by all means, instead of addressing my arguments or defending yours, use sarcasm and compare me to Andi.

Grey Wolf

*ETA: Roy is unaware that they are trapped in the valley, and therefore from his limited perspective, it makes sense to have Elan fix the envelope, because he doesn't want the ship to ran aground. However, in the current circumstances, that might not be a bad thing - it might even help with the repairs.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-05-26 at 12:48 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Lets run down the current immediate circumstances:

1) The ship hasn't got enough helium to leave the valley.
    2) The ship is stationary
    3) There is a giant intent on further damaging the ship

Fixing the envelope does not solve any of those three tasks, therefore in it not in the critical path, and thus it is not as urgent as addressing those three items.

At best, "fixing the envelope" is a subtask of 1, but given that it needs to be paired with "summon more helium" which requires the crew to be able to perform their job, it seems addressing task 3 is far more critical to the success of the project.

Consequently, Elan using a level-2 spell slot to cast a Mend it is both wasteful and not all that crucial. Getting rid of the giant, thus allowing crew members to patch the envelope with, say, spare canvas and some glue, is a much less wasteful path to success.

But, by all means, instead of addressing my arguments or defending yours, use sarcasm and compare me to Andi.

Grey Wolf
    You've neglected to take something into account. The ship is going somewhere: Down. The more height they lose, the less likely it is they will be able to regain sufficient height to make it over the cliff, even if Andi is able to rig the propellers to provide some.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

You've neglected to take something into account. The ship is going somewhere: Down. The more height they lose, the less likely it is they will be able to regain sufficient height to make it over the cliff, even if Andi is able to rig the propellers to provide some.
    Oh, I put no faith whatsoever on Andi's abilities to solve the ship's problems. I'm going to pull a Kish and state that I find it exceedingly unlikely that Andi will be a factor to the success of this scene, although admittedly it is because at this point, she is so far into the negatives of involvement that even if she fixed the gasbag, summoned the helium and then beat the giant on her own, she'd still not have done enough to compensate for what she has done so far.

GW

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oh, I put no faith whatsoever on Andi's abilities to solve the ship's problems. I'm going to pull a Kish and state that I find it exceedingly unlikely that Andi will be a factor to the success of this scene, although admittedly it is because at this point, she is so far into the negatives of involvement that even if she fixed the gasbag, summoned the helium and then beat the giant on her own, she'd still not have done enough to compensate for what she has done so far.

GW
    I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Sorry, but you really left me no choice with that. Anyway, how they generate lift is rather beside the point. Unless they can replace the missing air somehow, something which has not been indicated thusfar, every moment that hole is open lowers the chances of whatever method they use to generate lift being enough to actually make it over the ridge. Therefore closing it sooner rather than later is a fairly important factor as to whether they can get back over or not.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

What happened to the giant's axe in the second-to-last panel? It looks damaged, but it was whole all the way through the rest of the fight.

Edit: Ah, it looks like the giant's boot ruff was put in as a layer on top of the axe.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2017-05-26 at 01:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Anyway, how they generate lift is rather beside the point.
    No, it IS the point.

Unless they can replace the missing air somehow, something which has not been indicated thusfar
    Hasn't it?

every moment that hole is open lowers the chances of whatever method they use to generate lift being enough to actually make it over the ridge. Therefore closing it sooner rather than later is a fairly important factor as to whether they can get back over or not.
    Again, unsure what this has to do with my point that "important" is not the opposite of "wasteful". I am not claiming that the envelope doesn't need to be fixed. I am saying that it is wasteful to use a level-2 spell to do so, and that getting rid of the cause of the holes is more important than running behind her fixing them.

GW

29. - Top - End - #59

But that requires Elan to be successful enough in combat to handle the giantess.

Actually, the best plan would be for Elan to use mending on the balloon where she can see him. A unique way of drawing aggro, but it would put her focus on dealing with Elan as a prelude to wrecking stuff (because why wreck when it'll get fixed next round).

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No, it hasn't. We know that the helium was conjured, but we have no indication that the crew is able to do so at will or what method was used to do so. it could be anything from a magic artifact that does so over a period of hours/days to a wizard that conjures a portal in seconds while theyre in dry dock, to the friendly staff of the airship docks topping them off every time they refuel.

Again, unsure what this has to do with my point that "important" is not the opposite of "wasteful". I am not claiming that the envelope doesn't need to be fixed. I am saying that it is wasteful to use a level-2 spell to do so, and that getting rid of the cause of the holes is more important than running behind her fixing them.

GW
    Wasteful implies the unnecessary use of resources being consumed such that they cant be used for something else. it would be wasteful to use a 2nd level spell slot when a 1st level slot was available. But when 2nd level slots are your lowest available, it isn't wasteful anymore. the key word there is necessary, because right now its necessary to stem the flow of air out of the balloon. Yes, its also important to stop the giantess, but Roy is working on that already.