A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fear

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Fear

Fears play an important part in our life, they can completely change our outlook on something or affect our behavior. So I'm just wondering if anyone else has fears that have actually affected their life, and if so how and does it still.

Personally I was terrified of the darkness, up to the point that if I was walking away from a dark place, I wouldn't walk, I would sprint. Many time I would turn off the light in a room and I would thunder out of it, this brought some strange looks from my parents. I also hated spiders, numerous times I would freeze, and not move if I saw a spider, until it had its back turned, at which point I would sprint away.

luckily I have combated my fears and they do not affect me as much anymore, although I refuse to touch spiders and I still hate being along in the dark, I can tolerate it, but I still hate it.

Bottom Line: What fears do/did you have and how do/did they affect you.
    Sigatar by Me

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Fear

I have the fears of being roasted and/olr buried alive. As you might expect, this really doesn't affect me.
    At all.
    I mean, what, I'm going to walk away from matches and 3 inch depressions?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wasps. When one is flying over my path I duck and run under it, stand back up, slow to a fast walk, And then keep on going
    "I'm litteraly an evil incarnation of illicit sex."

I like typing in red.
    red is a cool color
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Dark Chocolate covered peanut brittle.
    Because I can be a bit dark and bitter, but on the inside I am really sweet and mostly nuts.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    I mean, what, I'm going to walk away from matches...
    Don't fear what they are DB; fear their barely restrained latent potential for destruction. Those little red-topped SoBs are just waiting for your guard to slip so they can exploit the chance to invite their big nasty friend Fire around to wreck your house and annoy the neighbours. Hate them. Fear them. Lock them up so they can't sucker the young into their wicked plans.

Me? Used to fear the dark. An instinctive thing I suppose.
    "Can't see = vulnerable = danger" in the primitive monkey part of the brain.

I'm not too keen on heights now. Not so much fear of them, it's just that the seductive little voice that says "Jump. You know you'll float down" is really difficult to ignore sometimes. Again, irrational and probably inherited from the monkey part of the brain.

The one thing that freaks me out though: images of damage to the eyes. The thought of blindness hits something deep down and visceral in me. I cannot watch horrors with eye gore in them; the fight/flight reflex just kicks in too hard.

That's Eggy.

5. - Top - End - #5

Hmm I can't think of something I fear right now. I know I have one but I'm just drawing a blank on it.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    I'm not too keen on heights now. Not so much fear of them, it's just that the seductive little voice that says "Jump. You know you'll float down" is really difficult to ignore sometimes. Again, irrational and probably inherited from the monkey part of the brain.
    Those kind of thoughts tend not to get inherited.

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    The one thing that freaks me out though: images of damage to the eyes. The thought of blindness hits something deep down and visceral in me. I cannot watch horrors with eye gore in them; the fight/flight reflex just kicks in too hard.

Oooh, I'd have to agree. This is probably my only 'fear'.
    I WILL round this Cape, even if I have to keep sailing until doomsday!
    Engaged in A Spat with Jibar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Decken by Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show
    Devil Lord-to-be and proud member of the Baatezu Lovers club!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Bugs. I seriously think I have insectophobia, which really sucks since I live in Florida. We have cockroachs and palmetto bugs the size of your hand, and misquitos that'll suck you dry, and all manner of other bugs. This also goes for gnats and the like.

My fear used be restricted to the bugs that could harm/spread disease. Within the last couple years it has come to encompass pretty much any bug except for those cool leaf ones which don't really move all that fast. I walked into a cloud of gnats once...I was shaking for half an hour, all sorts of twitchy, and my arms were red from trying to get invisible bugs off of me. I once had a cockroach approach me in a classroom and I just froze, eyes locked on it. At work once, there was a big 'ole flying thing on one of the shelves that I saw as I was heading to the bathroom. I seriously couldn't bring myself to pass it, so I got the guy I was working with to kill it. I could have walked past it without a problem, but that would have meant going within 2 feet of it and I just...couldn't.

Spiders however I'm generally ok with. Unless they are big (like the wolf spider), bright and/or distinctive markings (black widow, brown recluse, etc), or they are in my sleeping quarters. Otherwise, I let them live. But spiders also aren't insects.

But yah....Insectophobia+Florida=baaaad. I need to move to the Pacific Northwest. My teacher used to live there and says they have no cockroachs, misquitoes, nothing. Just slugs and stuff. ;)

Cheers,
    Syka
    Show me how pretty the world is
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Captain van der Decken View Post
    Those kind of thoughts tend not to get inherited.
    Maybe I was descended from the monkeys that only jumped from really low-hanging branches? Once again, Eggy beats the spread! ("Haha! Have at you hateful butter!")

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a weird form of Claustrophobia. I love caves and can be wrapped up in a sleeping bag no trouble. Big crowds/D.C. traffic and I start flipping out.

It's not that I'm acrophobic, so much as I'm REALLY tied to the Earth. It misses me loudly in my head when I'm not there.

Barbers. A complete stranger straps a garrote around my neck, holds razor sharp implements about my head and neck, tells me that if I don't remain completely still they'll cut me. I don't get to hit back. Then they take my money. And I'm suppose to volunteer for this kind of treatment?
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    But yah....Insectophobia+Florida=baaaad. I need to move to the Pacific Northwest. My teacher used to live there and says they have no cockroachs, misquitoes, nothing. Just slugs and stuff. ;)

Cheers,
    Syka
    Well we do have mosquitoes with west nile virus, but they are pretty good at eradicating them when they find them... but yeah, not too many bugs here, and yeah you should ;P In Minnesota the mosquito was the state bird I swear, and on my last trip to Voyager's National Park I had 29 ticks on me at once! These things carried lyme disease too... And then there is that 7 year cycle where billions of caterpillars come out. They covered an entire side of my house making it a living wall, yuck.

I can't think of anything specific at the moment for myself though.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Spiders however I'm generally ok with. Unless they are big (like the wolf spider), bright and/or distinctive markings (black widow, brown recluse, etc), or they are in my sleeping quarters. Otherwise, I let them live. But spiders also aren't insects.
    I think that is what started my fear of spiders, two encounters with wolf spiders, when I was growing up in South Africa. The first time was I was about to go to the toilet and there just above the toilet was a wolf spider, just looking at me. Of course I just walked away slowly but the shock, I could barely breath for ten minutes.

The other time I went into my room turned on some music and sat down on my bed. I looked up and there it was, a wolf spider, I froze and tried to get up slowly, but it started moving towards me, it got really close when i just screamed and ran out the room. I even jumped down the ladder (there were no stairs in that house) I tell you, jumping down a whole floor is not worth it just to get away from a spider, seemed worth it at the time tough.

Despite that, I still do love South Africa, Even with its spider and snakes... well I love snakes, so they aren't a problem.... [/random aside]

Bottom Line: I HATE wolf spiders more than most other spiders for a reason.
    Sigatar by Me

12. - Top - End - #12

Snake scare the heck out of me I have no clue why.

One time they brought a snake in to class in grade school, and I ran to the other side of the room.
    [url=http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53501]

50 Unconfirmed Rumors About 4th Ed!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Hehe. I nearly jumped out of a moving cary to get away from a bee. I had my seat belt unbuckled and my mom managed to pull over just in time.

They also told me about finding a wolf spider the size of their palm in our bathtub once. Then, the guy I was dating at the time and I found a nice size one in his brothers apartment that would NOT die. Like, we ran it over with a vacuum, dropped stuff on it, drowned it in RAID, and it was STILL moving. We eventually just scooped it up while it was slightly immoblized and chucked it outside.

But yes. Bugs no good. ><

Cheers,
    Syka
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

The dark still scares me somewhat. Less than before, though, and less when I have something else to think about.
    Large bugs and stinging ones scare me, even when they're dead (maybe even more so, oddly).
    And one large fear I have is loss of personality. I really, really want to stay the self that I know.
    Oh, and eye injuries. I'm always careful, ever since my grade 6 teacher told class that the white part of the eye was actually a liquid, and if something were to puncture the lens, it would drip down my face and the eye would cease to work. Now every time something comes close to my eye, I check it for white stuff.
    I was the origin of the Insert Name Here variations! (At least it seems)

Spoiler
    Show
    I got a nemesis in start of darkness!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I'm afraid of things I know are there but I can't see...
    Like I can pick up a spider or other insect and I don't mind them in my room as long as I can see them. As soon as they're out of my eyesight I freak out.

16. - Top - End - #16

BlueKnightGuy

Hehe. I nearly jumped out of a moving cary to get away from a bee. I had my seat belt unbuckled and my mom managed to pull over just in time.

They also told me about finding a wolf spider the size of their palm in our bathtub once. Then, the guy I was dating at the time and I found a nice size one in his brothers apartment that would NOT die. Like, we ran it over with a vacuum, dropped stuff on it, drowned it in RAID, and it was STILL moving. We eventually just scooped it up while it was slightly immoblized and chucked it outside.

But yes. Bugs no good. ><

Cheers,
    Syka
    FYI, those things tend to keep moving as their fluid powered muscles equalize pressure with the surroundings. Yeah, gross.
    My fear? The Universe. It cares nothing for us, and eventually it'll just disintegrate itself along with us! Also afraid of black holes, supernovas and other interstellar phenonemae.
    Before you ask, I didn't know what it meant when I put it in my username. Do NOT ask.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

The one in my room was not too big, my dad used a upturned beer mug thingy and some card to trap it and then he put it outside. The one in the bathroom was MASSIVE though, like the size of my Dad's palm, if not bigger. He did not even try to get ride of it using the usual upturned glass/beer mug/tea cup and some card. he just covered it with some toilet roll and before it could move he grabbed it and threw it out of the window.
    Sigatar by Me

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't like touching insects; I even shy away from touching moths. I'm not crazy about heights either, if I'm standing on a shaky ladder or some other precarious perch. When I was a kid I was also terrified of werewolves.

But what really creeps me out is ZOMBIES. I have a lot of nightmares about zombies, and my greatest fear is to wake up some night to see some undead thing pulling my guts out and chowing down.

It's not so much the "undead" thing that scares me, but the notion of getting slowly eaten alive. One of the worst scenes in Land of the Dead for me was the scene where some poor bastard has been torn in half and he's lying there screaming as the zombies munch on his arms and innards.

Plus there's the whole "Get bitten once and you're screwed" deal. That also makes zombie movies very cringe-worthy for me.
    Last edited by FoE; 2007-08-02 at 06:56 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Well now im scared of tiger spiders aswell. Curse you google images *I can feel one on my head**Screams and runs arond in circles*
    I'm scared of dogs and the bloody things are everywhere so i dont really need to explain how that messes up my life
    Also manholes, i fell down one a few years ago and now i have to walk around them or anything else on the floor that has a hole under it.
    Spoiler
    Show

This sean92k guy is either an illegal Mexican immigrant, an 8-year-old French kid or a Turkish bazaar salesman... I'll bet on my life that he is either of the three.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    I don't like touching insects; I even shy away from touching moths. When I was a kid I was also terrified of werewolves. But what really creeps me out is ZOMBIES. I have a lot of nightmares about zombies, and my greatest fear is to wake up some night to see some undead thing pulling my guts out and chowing down.

It's not so much the "undead" thing that scares me, but the notion of getting slowly eaten alive. One of the worst scenes in Land of the Dead for me was the scene where some poor bastard has been torn in half and he's lying there screaming as the zombies munch on his arms and innards.

Plus there's the whole "Get bitten once and you're screwed" deal. That also makes zombie movies very cringe-worthy for me.
    I have zombie dreams. I had one recently where I was running through suburbia and they were running out of garages after me... There was a huge mob and it was really foggy. Not scared of them though, and I can't even call those nightmares. I think a viral epidemic of something like mutated ebola is much scarier.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SDF View Post
    I have zombie dreams. I had one recently where I was running through suburbia and they were running out of garages after me... There was a huge mob and it was really foggy. Not scared of them though, and I can't even call those nightmares. I think a viral epidemic of something like mutated ebola is much scarier.
    I never had zombie dreams. I always have werewolf dreams. Like the time they were hunting me down for scientific experimentation. They turned me into some sort of werelepus. So I go on this rampage and somehow infected Captain Planet. They're weird.
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

i pretty much had the same thing as Exeson. I no longer run out of dark rooms, and i never ran away from spiders, though my skin would crawl when i saw them, and id get a piece of paper, get them to walk onto it, then chuck it out a window.

I also have this retarded fear of assassins coming after me...dunno why they would though
    - I like the world. Some of my best evilness took place here. I wouldn't mind ruling it, in fact.
    - Nah, Teevo is helping me edit my submission to "World's Funniest Protagonist Deaths"
    - Badass. REALLY badass.

Nominated for Xykon in the Playground:

Official Biophiliac of the Xykon fan club.

REALLY badass avatar by Dr.Bath

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by RAGE KING! View Post
    I also have this retarded fear of assassins coming after me...dunno why they would though
    We have our reas... Assassins? Dont be silly
    Spoiler
    Show

This sean92k guy is either an illegal Mexican immigrant, an 8-year-old French kid or a Turkish bazaar salesman... I'll bet on my life that he is either of the three.

24. - Top - End - #24

Spiders.

It started when I was living in Maine. One day, I was playing Neverwinter when I saw a huge spider making a web behind my monitor. I killed it and went to bed a few hours. Later, I awoke with bites all over my neck and chest, and upon getting out of bed, a multitude of webs assaulted me. I wear contacts and didn’t have any glasses at the time, so I was blind, flailing as several webs stuck to my face and arms.

A little later, after putting my contacts on, I started to notice little black shapes moving along my ceiling. Yes, you guessed it, spider eggs had hatched somewhere in my room and a huge number of baby spiders scurried and crawled over everything. I couldn’t get them all because they were incredibly tiny and clear. They spread all over the house, so no room was safe, I’d find them making webs in the shower, the kitchen—everywhere.

At least a hundred, or maybe more, spiders made my room their home, and it took me days to get rid of them, but no matter how much I tried, I couldn’t get them all. I received many spider bites that season, it doesn’t help that I slept on blow up mattress, so they could get into my bed.

I tried to vacuum them up, but the crafty buggers could actually crawl out. It didn’t stop right them either; I had quite the bug problem in that horrible state of Maine. I think it was because I didn’t have an air conditioner, and the house was poorly protected from the elements so all I could do was put a fan in the window (letting bugs in despite the screen).

It was a horrible experience because they got into my hair, my cloths, and sheets. I can’t see a spider today without freaking out.
    Praise Caine! Hail Sabbat!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not afraid of spiders or other insects. I'm not even that afraid of dying, except my one little horror is not being able to say goodbye to OTHER people before they die (it nearly happened with my grandfather).

I'm mildly claustrophobic and mildly acrophobic - but not to the point where it's debilitating.

I AM scared of two things: failure and losing control. Which are kind of the same thing, although not entirely.

My biggest and most crippling fear is probably the telephone. I get one in my hand and literally freeze up - I'm usually okay answering it, but dialing a call...even if it's my favorite aunt, my best friend, or my dad at work...my heart is pounding about a mile a minute when start to dial, and it's a supreme effort to actually press talk. How many teenage girls have THAT problem?

I'm getting better.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I'm getting better.
    I could go for a walk! /montypython

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyways, don't we have this exact topic EVERY 6 MONTHS?

I'm personally afraid of heights, Bossmiley said it the best, so I really have nothing to add, unless someone wants to find the old fear thread.
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

27. - Top - End - #27

I always thought I was afraid of bugs. I realized I was just afraid of chitinous vermin. As such, I have no problem with caterpillars or moths or anything. I also seemed to manifest a fear of heights that I distinctly remember not having before. i will eat you alive i will eat you alive i will eat you alive i will eat you alive i will eat you alive i will eat you alive i will eat you alive i will eat you alive i will eat you alive
    And everyone is afraid of being eaten alive. Think you aren't? If oyu thought you really might be eaten alive, you'd know otherwise.i will eat you alive i will eat you alive i will eat you alive i will eat you alive i will eat you alive i will eat you alive i will eat you alive i will eat you alive
    i will eat you alive i will eat you alive i will eat you alive i will eat you alive i will eat you alive i will eat you alive
    Sleep well! i will eat you alive i will eat you alive i will eat you alive i will eat you alive i will eat you alive
    Last edited by Arameus; 2007-08-02 at 08:23 PM.
    Glorious Chaiman Kaga avatar by the impeccable Kalirush!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Well, aside from the standard family/friends dying/injured, world destruction, etc...

Mmmm, I have a very healthy respect for heights, but I love to climb, so I'm not sure thats a fear.

I have a learned fear of japanese giant hornets because being stung by them is like being shot and I've been stung so many times that I have a latent toxin build-up that could send me into shock if I get stung again.

Other than that no real 'fears'. I'm wary of a good deal however.

Spoiler
    Show
    Edit: Well, there is one more, about not being able to win the heart of a certain girl, etc, but y'know, that may need to be up there with the standards.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Things that screw with my brain. Not paradoxes and the like, but drugs, brain damage, Alzheimer's disease, and strokes. Even drugs like Ritalin and Prozac, which I know help lots of people freak me out. Hell, I won't drink coffee. It's not as bad with the drugs because I can choose not to take them, but I have a major fear of strokes and Alzeimer's, especially since I found out that my grandfather probably had it. I love neuroscience and there's a radio program that focuses on topics in neuroscience, but I can't listen to it much of time because they have a lot of stuff about stroke victims and that upsets me too much.
    Last edited by Siwenna; 2007-08-02 at 08:43 PM.
    "I was taught that the human brain was the crowning glory of evolution so far, but I think it’s a very poor scheme for survival."
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut

30. - Top - End - #30

I am hemophobic.

From an incident many of you probably know of involving the index finger of my right hand and an axe.
    Druid-Ninjatar by the sensuous Serpentine.