Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 70
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    danielxcutter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Seoul
    Gender
    Male

    Default What to do with Prestidigitation?

    I've heard that it's a really nice cantrip, since all you need is a bit of creativity. I guess so, and I'd probably buy an Eternal Wand of one if I have enough spare change, but I'd like to hear a few more specific examples. Preferably ones that are somewhat less obvious than "make the Everlasting Rations we bought taste better" and "save money on soap".
    Cool elan (no not that kind) Illithid Slayer by linkele.


    Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Archive Of Our Own FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvtTropes page!


    Extended signature here.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Darrin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Tome & Blood page 80 is a very good read. I try to make sure that every arcane caster that sits down at my table has a photocopy of that page.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    danielxcutter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Seoul
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Tome & Blood page 80 is a very good read. I try to make sure that every arcane caster that sits down at my table has a photocopy of that page.
    Don't have it, sadly.
    Cool elan (no not that kind) Illithid Slayer by linkele.


    Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Archive Of Our Own FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvtTropes page!


    Extended signature here.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Inevitability's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Planes of Law

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Don't have it, sadly.
    I believe Darrin is referring to this, fortunately also available online.

    Notably, it allows one to make objects entirely immune to lava by dampening them and quickly refill caltrop and flour bags by gathering the material.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2017-05-31 at 08:20 AM.
    Have you had enough of unreasonably high LA's and unplayable monsters in 3.5? Then check out the LA-assignment thread! Don't hesitate to give feedback!

    Extended signature!

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Turn all your copper pieces into platinum pieces and buy something really cool. Then flee town because you've only got an hour before they change back.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Jowgen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    The sketch function is very handy for quickly getting information accross, as you can project an image of literally anything you can imagine.

    Explain the layout of an area or building to allies. Show the local sage what creature, symbol or a person of interest looks like without doing a lengthy description. That kinda stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

    The Redeemery

    Feat-buying resource

    Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

    Floating Disk Utility

    Taking 10 resource

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Turn all your copper pieces into platinum pieces and buy something really cool. Then flee town because you've only got an hour before they change back.
    Changing the physical element of an object falls outside the capabilities of prestidigitation, IMO. Although if the player told me their idea, I'd probably allow it as long as they were prepared to accept any consequences that would befall them as a result of this.
    I broadcast my weekly D&D 3.5 game on twitch!

    www.twitch.tv/myrongains7

    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Its entirely possible to face a CR appropriate drow opponent who has a 55-60% chance to ignore your swag.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground
     
    danielxcutter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Seoul
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    I believe Darrin is referring to this, fortunately also available online.
    Woot! Thanks!

    Notably, it allows one to make objects entirely immune to lava by dampening them and quickly refill caltrop and flour bags by gathering the material.
    Lol. I think most DMs won't be too pleased by that...

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Turn all your copper pieces into platinum pieces and buy something really cool. Then flee town because you've only got an hour before they change back.
    Lol x 53. Can you do that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    The sketch function is very handy for quickly getting information accross, as you can project an image of literally anything you can imagine.

    Explain the layout of an area or building to allies. Show the local sage what creature, symbol or a person of interest looks like without doing a lengthy description. That kinda stuff.
    Nice.
    Cool elan (no not that kind) Illithid Slayer by linkele.


    Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Archive Of Our Own FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvtTropes page!


    Extended signature here.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by NOhara24 View Post
    Changing the physical element of an object falls outside the capabilities of prestidigitation, IMO. Although if the player told me their idea, I'd probably allow it as long as they were prepared to accept any consequences that would befall them as a result of this.
    Change: You transform one object of Fine size or smaller into another object of roughly the same size. The object can weigh no more than 8 ounces.

    The change must be within the same kingdom (animal, vegetable, or mineral). For example, you could change a piece of paper into scrap of linen, and then change that into a rose. Likewise, you could change a coin into a ring. You could not, however, turn a strip of leather into a piece of paper
    This line has been intentionally left blank.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Oct 2011

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Turn all your copper pieces into platinum pieces and buy something really cool. Then flee town because you've only got an hour before they change back.
    Going with that, a Small dagger is within the weight limit for prestidigitation to turn it adamantine. Universal lock pick at level 1!

    I've also used prestidigitation for detection when a DM threw roaming AMFs at us as a terrain hazard: ripped up a sack and turned the scraps neon-orange, and did the same with the ranger's arrows. Let me know which allies and which enemies I could cast on without risk of spell failure.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2010

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    To date, I think my favorite use of Prestidigitation was when I needed to get something from a chef. I told him I could give him the best seasoning he'd ever tasted, but that the seasoning had no preservatives and so, after I prepared it, it would only last an hour. He said he'd have to taste it first, so I just spent a few copper on a healthy dose of pepper, cast prestidigitation on it to alter its flavor to something amazing, and traded away.

    Also, with a DM who permits somewhat broader interpretations of "minor magical tricks" to include things that fall outside the purview of the things stated, you can basically just make yourself appear awesome. My GMs really seem to like it when my character makes a flock of doves and flashes of light accompany me whenever I open doors to enter rooms, for instance (the doves themselves vanishing into thin air moments later, of course.) I also had a GM allow one character who was a stage magician to use it to make a cloud of playing cards spiral around him in a cloud constantly.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    -Snip-
    Okay, great. You've copy-pasted one of the capabilities of Prestidigitation. That doesn't change the fact that what you're describing is Alchemy, and falls under its own system in 3.5
    Last edited by NOhara24; 2017-05-31 at 11:28 AM.
    I broadcast my weekly D&D 3.5 game on twitch!

    www.twitch.tv/myrongains7

    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Its entirely possible to face a CR appropriate drow opponent who has a 55-60% chance to ignore your swag.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Oct 2011

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by NOhara24 View Post
    Okay, great. You've copy-pasted one of the capabilities of Prestidigitation. That doesn't change the fact that what you're describing is Alchemy, and falls under its own system in 3.5
    A) Not it's not (What's the DC for a platinum piece?)
    B) Even if it was, there's nothing in the spell description for prestidigitation that prevents it from performing alchemy. It's prohibited from reproducing spells, not skills.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Segev's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Actually being able to use it to make even small weapons into weapons with special material properties seems a bit strong for the spell. That doesn't necessarily mean the RAW don't permit it, but we should be very careful to be certain.

    Can you make a normal dagger adamantine and thus overcome DR? What about (alchemical) silver? Cold iron? That metal that sucks down souls?

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by NOhara24 View Post
    Okay, great. You've copy-pasted one of the capabilities of Prestidigitation. That doesn't change the fact that what you're describing is Alchemy, and falls under its own system in 3.5
    This is the most blatant willful ignorance I've ever seen. I didn't even suggest something weird. That description literally even mentions changing coins into other things
    Last edited by Celestia; 2017-05-31 at 01:14 PM.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Honest Tiefling's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    It's a spell to get the smell of smoke out of your clothes and clean yourself of any blood paint you might have accidentally gotten onto yourself. If that's not enough reason to get it on its own, I don't know what is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    A) Not it's not (What's the DC for a platinum piece?)
    B) Even if it was, there's nothing in the spell description for prestidigitation that prevents it from performing alchemy. It's prohibited from reproducing spells, not skills.
    A) Yes it is, actually. Common aims for Alchemy were Chrysopoeia; the changing of less valuable metals into more valuable ones. (The traditional example being lead to gold.) Copper to platinum definitely qualifies here. The DC for a platinum piece is a 10 (Typical Item) or 15 (High-Quality Item) dependent on how the DM feels about currency. Seen here:

    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/craft.htm

    B) Correct, and in this instance it would qualify as a transmutation...meaning it would be copying Polymorph Any Object.
    I broadcast my weekly D&D 3.5 game on twitch!

    www.twitch.tv/myrongains7

    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Its entirely possible to face a CR appropriate drow opponent who has a 55-60% chance to ignore your swag.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    This is the most blatant willful ignorance I've ever seen. I didn't even suggest something weird. That description literally even mentions changing coins into other things
    It mentions turning a coin into a ring...meaning a copper coin would be a copper ring.
    Last edited by NOhara24; 2017-05-31 at 01:29 PM.
    I broadcast my weekly D&D 3.5 game on twitch!

    www.twitch.tv/myrongains7

    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Its entirely possible to face a CR appropriate drow opponent who has a 55-60% chance to ignore your swag.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by NOhara24 View Post
    It mentions turning a coin into a ring...meaning a copper coin would be a copper ring.
    A. It says nothing about the materials of the coin or ring or specify that they must be the same.

    B. It specifically states that changing material is a function of the spell and lists turning paper into linen as an example.

    You literally have zero basis for your argument.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Oct 2011

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by NOhara24 View Post
    A) Yes it is, actually. Common aims for Alchemy were Chrysopoeia; the changing of less valuable metals into more valuable ones. (The traditional example being lead to gold.)
    Traditional where? What source book? PHB? DMG? MM? Which one?

    I do not give a flying fig about Newton in this discussion: RL is not D&D. Give me a page number.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOhara24 View Post
    Copper to platinum definitely qualifies here. The DC for a platinum piece is a 10 (Typical Item) or 15 (High-Quality Item) dependent on how the DM feels about currency. Seen here:

    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/craft.htm
    You'll note that alchemy doesn't actually follow that rule. The typical alchemical item is atypical.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOhara24 View Post
    B) Correct, and in this instance it would qualify as a transmutation...meaning it would be copying Polymorph Any Object.
    Yes, but you did not hinge your argument on that. You hinged your argument on it not being able to imitate a skill.

    So, since you admit that I am correct, you admit your argument was completely without merit. Good. glad that's settled.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Right behind you!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    I've used it to clear our tracks while we walked so that no one would notice us. (An official rule from Pathfinder module Library of the Lion)

    Of course that character (bard) mostly uses it to make sure that he and his clothing are always look pristine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    A. It says nothing about the materials of the coin or ring or specify that they must be the same.

    B. It specifically states that changing material is a function of the spell and lists turning paper into linen as an example.

    You literally have zero basis for your argument.
    That being the case - I choose to turn a copper coin into a +5 ring of protection! It doesn't specifically say that I can't!
    Last edited by CharonsHelper; 2017-05-31 at 01:55 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?


  23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    A. It says nothing about the materials of the coin or ring or specify that they must be the same.

    B. It specifically states that changing material is a function of the spell and lists turning paper into linen as an example.

    You literally have zero basis for your argument.
    This has already been pointed out, but by your argument you could turn any coin into any ring...this is a level zero spell. You cannot take a copper coin and turn it into a golden diamond ring with a level zero spell, unless we're giving arcane casters polymorph any object at level 1. Paper to linen is pointed out because they're made from the same thing...copper and platinum are two very different things. Any DM who says "eh, they're both metal, close enough." Should not be behind the DM's screen.
    I broadcast my weekly D&D 3.5 game on twitch!

    www.twitch.tv/myrongains7

    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Its entirely possible to face a CR appropriate drow opponent who has a 55-60% chance to ignore your swag.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by NOhara24 View Post
    This has already been pointed out, but by your argument you could turn any coin into any ring...this is a level zero spell. You cannot take a copper coin and turn it into a golden diamond ring with a level zero spell, unless we're giving arcane casters polymorph any object at level 1. Paper to linen is pointed out because they're made from the same thing...copper and platinum are two very different things. Any DM who says "eh, they're both metal, close enough." Should not be behind the DM's screen.
    What world are you living in? Paper and linen are not remotely made of the same thing. You are grasping at straws here. And then claiming that it's the same thing as corn.

    And you can turn any coin into any ring, as long as they're both in the same "kingdom" as defined as plant, animal, or mineral. That is exactly what the spell says it does.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mexico
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    You can use it to splice several lengths of rope together
    Re: the coin to dagger, if the metal must stay the same: shuriken into dagger, a lockpick into a key (or vice-versa), a dagger into a bracelet (so as to sneak it into the no-weapons-allowed place)
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing


    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Honest Tiefling's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    What world are you living in? Paper and linen are not remotely made of the same thing. You are grasping at straws here. And then claiming that it's the same thing as corn.
    I think he means that both are made of plant fiber, which while different do have some similarities. I'd also say both kinda fall into the plant kingdom because of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Inevitability's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Planes of Law

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Paper and linen are not remotely made of the same thing. You are grasping at straws here. And then claiming that it's the same thing as corn.
    Discussion notwithstanding, I'd like to sig this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    I think he means that both are made of plant fiber, which while different do have some similarities. I'd also say both kinda fall into the plant kingdom because of that.
    This goes for copper and platinum as well, though. Both are metals, they have a similar atomic structure, and they're both part of the mineral kingdom.
    Have you had enough of unreasonably high LA's and unplayable monsters in 3.5? Then check out the LA-assignment thread! Don't hesitate to give feedback!

    Extended signature!

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Discussion notwithstanding, I'd like to sig this.



    This goes for copper and platinum as well, though. Both are metals, they have a similar atomic structure, and they're both part of the mineral kingdom.
    Yay! My first sigged quote! :3
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Segev's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by NOhara24 View Post
    Correct, and in this instance it would qualify as a transmutation...meaning it would be copying Polymorph Any Object.
    Eh, by that logic, you've obviated the clause he quoted as actually being able to do anything at all, since PAO can be used to transmute anything to anything, and thus all changes of one object to another (despite being called out explicitly as doable by prestidigitation) are disallowed for duplicating PAO.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Oct 2011

    Default Re: What to do with Prestidigitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Eh, by that logic, you've obviated the clause he quoted as actually being able to do anything at all, since PAO can be used to transmute anything to anything, and thus all changes of one object to another (despite being called out explicitly as doable by prestidigitation) are disallowed for duplicating PAO.
    Tome and Blood is 3.0, so it's reasonable to drop the feature in the update to 3.5. Although I don't know what prestidigitation's actual text was in 3.0.

    But, that's an entirely different argument and one that is a complete judgement call.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •