New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default You Get Thrown Into D&D With One Item or Skill.

So a while ago (as in about 3-4 months ago) I finished watching an anime known by the name KonoSuba. In it, people who died in our world are offered a chance to go into an MMO-esque world and are allowed to bring one item/skill.

So I was wondering "If people here were put into a D&D setting from a similar situation, what would they bring?"

Assumptions:
    - You enter the world with the clothes on your back.
    - You retain your age, memories, and body condition you had before death. Stats would be based on actual physical and mental ability
    - You are human
    - You receive all abilities that come with your chosen class (EX: Wizards wouldn't have to commit to years of study to learn spells, but follow the same class rules for learning spells)
    - You level like you do in D&D.
    - You have a character sheet to keep track of your own progress and status.
    - You are dropped into a town with other willing adventurers

Rules
    - The item can be from anything, as long as it is tangible
    - If a ranged weapon is chosen, only the amount of ammo that can normally be stored in it is brought with you
    - If you say gold, that means one gold piece
    - You are only as proficient with a weapon as you are worth it now
    - If a skill is chosen, it would be the equivalent to having 20 ranks in said skill
    - Batteries are included with electronic devices, but only one set.

I'll go first.

I would take a +20 Holy Blazing Longsword. Everyone knows how powerful those are, so it should need no explanation.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: You Get Thrown Into D&D With One Item or Skill.

A Tattoo Of Infinite Wishes.

Want to put any restrictions on this?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

What happens if you lose or alter your character sheet?
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Does the Universe count as an item? I mean, if Takhisis can steal an entire world, why can't I? I'd say the world is pretty tangible overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

5. - Top - End - #5

Beholder

The Ring of Winter, I'm not really that much of a **** so immortality self healing and green lantern style ice powers in a pinch sound lovely.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ummm... There's a lot of possibilities here. I'd want to know a bunch more rules before committing.

My first thought was, yeah, are there any limits to this? Because I know some completely game-breaking items. And I'd also want to know just how broken the world is already before I get there.

So, the easiest answer, which really skirts the intended question, is one of several items which would directly or indirectly get me out of Dodge, and to a reality which is less broken, and, ideally, has high-level / high power people who will help me. Per my responses in other threads, I'd likely use one of several ways to meet up with and apprentice under my signature character, Quertus, for whom this account is named.

And, given the premise of this thread, I'd also skirt the premise, and get Quertus' help to get a new body out of the deal.
    Last edited by Quertus; 2017-06-02 at 06:57 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Take a Candle of Invocation or Ring of Three Wishes and start Wish-looping my way to godhood?

Or if I was to take a skill, I guess Profession (Scribe) or something safe like that. 20 ranks would be enough to make 60 gold/month; according to the DMG, that's somewhere between a Common and a Good lifestyle. I don't want to go adventuring and die.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Take a Candle of Invocation or Ring of Three Wishes and start Wish-looping my way to godhood?
    Does any DM anywhere actually allow wish-looping to work?

9. - Top - End - #9

SamuraiGuy

I'd take the skill Chemistry

Hello Gunpowder and Gasoline!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I'd take 20 ranks in persuasion/diplomacy.

I don't need to fight anyone. We can all just chill in the tavern or something.

11. - Top - End - #11

Sticking closer to the thread's premise, here are a few ideas (assume 3e wizard level 1 unless otherwise noted):

Staff of the Wild Magi. I'd take my first level in 2e Wild Mage, full Skills & Powers cheese. This staff is useless to anyone who isn't a wild mage, so there's no point in killing me to take it, but higher level adventurers may now have some impetus to keep me around and alive. Pity I'd level so incredibly slowly, going by 2e rules.

Ring of NI wishes. A custom item that, worse than not working, would be a Monkey's Paw to benefit me if stolen, this item actually had almost no power - it actually functions by contacting a very powerful entity and requesting their aid.

The Invulnerable Coat of Arnd A 2e artifact that says I can't be hurt. As it's Full Plate Mail, being a wizard may be a sub-optimal choice... perhaps 3e Cleric of an ideal?

Armus' Polyhedron Gateway. Ok, this only lets me get out of Dodge instantly, not really following the theme of the thread. Still, a custom 2e Cubic Gate with as many custom options and tricks as this sucker had wouldn't be horrible.

Cain's Blood Because instantly becoming an Antedeluvian sounds cool on paper, and I'm already dead.

Vorlon Destroyer. A single-pilot, adapting, regenerating space ship? Um, yes please. I should be able to power level quite safely in no time with this sucker, even if there aren't level-appropriate MMORPG-style "zones".

Book of INFINITE spells. Very custom item. Cast whatever spell I want, at will? Yeah, after a new body, and +5 inherent bonus to all stats, what next?

Mana Matrix. Another custom item, that works somewhat like a Ring of Spell Storing on steroids, crossed with the Magus of the Arcane Order spell pool. Simply put, anyone I allow can store spells in the matrix, and recover 1/3rd that many spell levels later of any spell stored within (give or take permissions). Send like a good way to ensure indispensability. Bonus points if it comes with spells already in it.

But, honestly, even sticking with the theme of the thread, I know quite a few, even more powerful options. What I can't remember is a published item to let me skip straight to divinity, which would be nice.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

There's basically only one option:

The Universe I'm going into's Completed Infinity Gauntlet (of marvel lore). Because nothing says "one item" like a really, really, stupidly broken one.

Step 1 is "be wizard"
    Step 2 is "use Infinity Gauntlet to power level"
    Step 3 is "power level with Gauntlet until stupid powerful"

Then it's off to become a misanthrope and seclude oneself and never have to deal with people ever again unless it's on my terms.
    Last edited by oxybe; 2017-06-01 at 10:49 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think the show's protagonist had the right idea. I ask for Elminster.

If cheats like that won't pass, how about 20 ranks in Bluff or Knowledge (Local)? I'm either ridiculously good at lying or know basically everything about everyone.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dinosaur View Post
    I think the show's protagonist had the right idea. I ask for Sune.

If cheats like that won't pass, how about 20 ranks in Bluff or Knowledge (Local)? I'm either ridiculously good at lying or know basically everything about everyone.

Fixed that for ya. Elm's already got a boy toy, and that kid's secretly a prince. I think a major Goddess is a better choice. Even if in Avatar form (hopefully you're not said avatar in this case. Unless youre into that. In which case I'd rather have Mask throwing his power and mind inside me.)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oxybe View Post

The Universe I'm going into's Completed Infinity Gauntlet (of marvel lore). Because nothing says "one item" like a really, really, stupidly broken one.

Step 1 is "be wizard"
    Step 2 is "use Infinity Gauntlet to power level"
    Step 3 is "power level with Gauntlet until stupid powerful"

Then it's off to become a misanthrope and seclude oneself and never have to deal with people ever again unless it's on my terms.
    You get the Infinity Gauntlet.

It's useless without the gems, which are six other, completely separate items. The Gauntlet's just a fancy display case for them you wear on your hand.

20 ranks in Diplomacy is the best starter. That's basically at-will, no save Dominate Monster without any of the negative side effects by D&D logic.

I can get anything else I want from there.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2017-06-02 at 02:27 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

If we limit the skill to 20 ranks (a far cry from epic uses like balancing on clouds, which are usually far inferior to common wizard spells), why not put a limit on the item as well?

I suggest the completely arbitrary limit of a cost of 33.000GP, enough to cover the cost of a +5 magical weapon, or a ring of for instance invisibility or protection +4, while not being enough to get any item that can cast wish (I think those start at 40.000 for a single unlimited wish).

I'd also like to suggest the option of spell like abilities from any spell list as an alternative to skills and items, ones a day up to level 6 (mass suggestion, mass bull's strength, flesh to stone, greater heroism), hourly up to level 3 (hold person, fireball) or at will up to level 1 (grease, obscuring mist), provided it's not a healing or fabricating spell or something like floating disk where you can get something really big by casting it every six seconds.

And let's thrown any single class feature/ability of level 5 or lower in the mix as well, because a familiar or wild shape 1/day is pretty cool.

Given those options, would your answers be very different?
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2017-06-02 at 03:35 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post

It's useless without the gems, which are six other, completely separate items. The Gauntlet's just a fancy display case for them you wear on your hand.

20 ranks in Diplomacy is the best starter. That's basically at-will, no save Dominate Monster without any of the negative side effects by D&D logic.

I can get anything else I want from there.
    Sorry, but (3.5) diplomacy is used to alter attitudes on NPCs.

And since NPCs and PCs are strictly a metagame concept whereas we're to assume the world treats others as humans... well, good luck with your 20 ranks in a skill that applies to nothing, i guess?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Its rather simple.
    I want the ability to steal the main trait/skill/ability of each defeated enemy.

Start hoarding skills, EX and SU ability from low level monster and then kill my way up the food-chain.

there is a reason ilithid savant is the strongest class :P
    Last edited by Thaneus; 2017-06-02 at 05:17 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by oxybe View Post

The Universe I'm going into's Completed Infinity Gauntlet
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post

Yeah, I considered this one. Given that asking for gold gets you a single gold piece, I figured this was a bad plan.

Heck, even if it worked, the Infinity Gauntlet messes with the users mind / dives the user insane. So... no.

Your better bet would be whatever device the Magus built to safely control the Cosmic Cubes... but that, obviously, runs the same risk of being empty. But at least you'd get a (cool?) house out of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dinosaur View Post
    I think the show's protagonist had the right idea. I ask for Elminster.
    The protagonist asked for a person? I'd considered that, but figured it wouldn't fly.

And Elminster is an idiot. Seriously, what mage a) tells the party not to help him fight a Beholder, then b) casts flight to go face it and it's anti-magic ray c) in a really deep shaft? Answer: a dead one.

I'll take Quertus, thanks. At least he's only tactically inept, not a suicidally brave show off to boot.
    Last edited by Quertus; 2017-06-02 at 07:18 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

in Konosuba, the main outline is as such:
    Spoiler
    Show

-Shut-in nerd leaves house to buy game in early morning after pulling an all nighter
    -Sees Schoolgirl-chan going to get hit by honorable Truck-Sama, pushes her out of the way and dies
    -meets with a goddess who tells him he can reincanate his soul back to earth or get tossed into a McFantasyworld with a special thingydoodle
    -Nerd agrees
    -while he's picking, she admits that
    A) the girl was in no danger, it was a slow moving tractor she could have easily avoided
    B) he didn't die by getting hit, he died from a heart attack due to having stayed up for so long, hallucinated a truck and got too excited
    C) he did number 1 and number 2 as he died and everyone, parents included, laughed
    -Nerd gets annoyed with goddess's attitude and picks her as his one doodlehopper
    -Hilarity ensues as the MC is basically just a schmuck with slightly above average luck stats and has to save the world if he wants to go back to earth, though he is more then willing to play dirty to win and on the outset it seems like he gets the ideal party but each of the 3 members are... flawed. the Goddess is a selfish ***** of a healer. the tank is all defense, no offense and is a masochist (to everyone's chagrin) and the archmage can cast the equivalent of meteor swarm (the only spell she knows) once and only once per day, then passes out from exhaustion.

While the show has the underpinnings of poking fun at the "isekai" novels, the "reincarnated in another world" as well as the fantasy and videogame tropes that are often seen in that type of story that exploded in popularity these last few years in japan, it's humour ends up being funny in the Seinfeild fashion: It's a show about nothing (the setup is really just there to throw our characters together: they do make some headway towards beating the demon king, but it's more out of a fluke then anything else), the main cast are all horrible people, but they do legit care about each other in a weird way, so while we laugh when they get their comeuppance (everyone eats well-deserved crow in this show) and cheer when they win. They're all lovable, if slightly horrible, idiots.

YMMV on the animation, but from what I heard the lead animator basically told his crew that they don't need to stick to model if it would make for a better scene (that's our goddess, Aqua, BTW). And I love that. The artists are mote then happy to exaggerate, squash and stretch the characters for the sake of getting a laugh.

that and the explosions are glorious (that last one is a bit of a spoiler since it's end of season 2 climax type of dealy-o).
    Legitimately one of the better shows to come out of anime in a long time. It has 2 10 episode seasons so it's not a hard thing to watch in a few sittings.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Ring of Sustenance. In a strange land with unfamiliar food, places and people, with dangers and evil races everywhere, it would be good to not worry about starvation, dehydration or lack of sleep.

22. - Top - End - #22

I would dispute that the item needs to be tangible, and go for a Sidereal Exaltation. Ridiculously fast training times, Exalted healing, Excellencies for the I Win potential, etc. are all amazing abilities to have in their own right. Couple that with the ridiculous power they develop down the line, and you have something amazing—but the really, really useful thing is the ability to go marching right back to the Celestial Bureaucracy that sent you to your planet, talk to the deities involved as an equal, and learn what is actually going on and get that all sorted out.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    I would dispute that the item needs to be tangible, and go for a Sidereal Exaltation. Ridiculously fast training times, Exalted healing, Excellencies for the I Win potential, etc. are all amazing abilities to have in their own right. Couple that with the ridiculous power they develop down the line, and you have something amazing—but the really, really useful thing is the ability to go marching right back to the Celestial Bureaucracy that sent you to your planet, talk to the deities involved as an equal, and learn what is actually going on and get that all sorted out.
    What cool abilities do Sidereals get to make this a good choice?

Also, I expect a 3e character to level much, much faster than you. Just saying.

EDIT: given the abyssal/infernal origin story, I suspect you could argue for exalts being tangible.
    Last edited by Quertus; 2017-06-02 at 07:52 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

GnomePirate

You guys go off and do adventuring. I am going to use my real world skills and open up a jewelry crafting shop with my Torch of Infinite Acetylene. As for adding a new skill, Ill take Mining for +20.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    What cool abilities do Sidereals get to make this a good choice?

Also, I expect a 3e character to level much, much faster than you. Just saying.
    I was under the assumption that I was aiming for a 3e Sidereal Exaltation. Faster leveling seems to come with the exaltation, which is one of the reasons why I'd aim for it.

As for why Sidereal over Solar? Primarily, Avoidance Kata, Duck Fate, and Efficient Secretary Technique. Avoidance Kata gets you out of a situation and into any other situation, granting a ridiculous amount of mobility, getting out of bad situations before you get shafted, and severely cutting down on travel times. Efficient Secretary Technique hasn't been confirmed in 3e, but it's quite likely as it has been a staple in other editions. And... well, it's really useful for information gathering. "Where is the Demon King's Army at the moment?" "What customs are expected of visitors in this area?" "What are the three primary dangers of the Fire Swamp?" "What is the proper way to treat bites from Rodents of Unusual Size?" "What is the nearest location to me where I can find {X} herb?"

Duck Fate, of course, speaks for itself. No-selling literally anything you don't want is always amazing.

But, yeah. The ability to know what you're getting yourself into, get into or out of any situation, and the power to interface with any given Celestial Bureaucracy are the three cool abilities that Siddies get that sell me on this course of action. Access to Neighborhood Relocation Scheme and similar things doesn't hurt, of course, but those are the three big things.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair14 View Post
    You guys go off and do adventuring. I am going to use my real world skills and open up a jewelry crafting shop with my Torch of Infinite Acetylene. As for adding a new skill, Ill take Mining for +20.
    Roll saving throw against shakedown.

27. - Top - End - #27

Well if I have to pick a skill, it would be easy, rich of the knowledge about all you can do with the basket weaving craft skill, i'll pick Profession(King), the rest will follow as my people will provide.
    Last edited by Pilo; 2017-06-02 at 08:41 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Mastery of Life (Mage: the Awakening) - I need something to get around the fact that I wouldn't last long without modern medicine. Functional immortality, shapeshifting and the ability to instakill any living creature are nice too. I could go with Archmastery, but I figure that if you can fight a god, you probably will end up having to.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pilo View Post
    Well if I have to pick a skill, it would be easy, rich of the knowledge about all you can do with the basket weaving craft skill, i'll pick Profession(King), the rest will follow as my people will provide.
    That begs an interesting question: if you were absolutely the best person in the land to be king, how for along could you get to actually becoming any kind of ruler or adviser? After all, you're getting a skill, not a country.

(Also, you're not getting anything covered by other skills. There is no profession soldier you can take to become a good fighter...)
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2017-06-02 at 10:43 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lazymancer View Post
    Roll saving throw against shakedown.
    Didn't say I didn't have a good skill set outside crafting. I do armored combat for fun in real life and know basic hand to hand and am decent at knife and axe throwing.