New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default How to eat a lychee?

So I've ended up with about a pound and a half of lychees...
    Not... quite sure how tot ell if they're ripe or how to eat them. I peeled one, and it was a little like peeling a boiled egg to unveil a delicious smelling [thing] that looked like raw squid, and tasted of astringency and lychee. I did remove the seed, but some odd brown firm thing was left in the center which had surrounded it previously.
    Last edited by Togath; 2017-07-08 at 03:20 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Howe to eat a lychee?

You peel it, you eat it, and it leaves a pretty huge seed in the middle. As for how to tell it's done, if the outside is a deep red then it's probably fine*.

*Although I vaguely remember you being in the US, and lychee is one of those fruits that just doesn't travel well. It's all pretty low end here.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

The lychees are red/brown/green. But I read somewhere that just means they were refrigerated?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

They're supposed to be red, for the most, green (AFAIK, anyway) means they're not quite ripe. Brown would mean they're a bit too ripe, if I'm not mistaken.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm... could I use the flavor as a clue? It tasted sort of... like, dry almost. Like grape peels do.
    Meow(Steam page)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Might have just been a bad one. They're basically really sweet when they're ripe.
    But you've got it down: peel the outside, eat the white part, discard the seed. They're going to be mostly red if they're ripe. Just try a few more, I'm sure you got a bad one; they're not really a dry fruit.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: How to eat a lychee?

More, dry, like, it feels dry despite a bunch of juice. A sort of odd clings-to-your-teeth feel.
    Meow(Steam page)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, that's about how lychees feel. Kind of like firm, slightly rubbery grape texture.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

More less mass than a grape. Like a thin membrane full of fluid rather than anything with fiber.
    Meow(Steam page)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    More less mass than a grape. Like a thin membrane full of fluid rather than anything with fiber.
    That's an indication of a questionable lychee there - fresh of the tree they're a bit thicker than grapes. It's a pretty noticeable texture, provided you didn't slip up regarding the swarm of ants that are inevitably crawling along that tree and thus end up distracted from all the biting.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

So not like a pouch full of juice?(like... you know the tiny juice sacs within the segments of an orange? Like that but a ton bigger)
    Meow(Steam page)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

So not like a pouch full of juice?(like... you know the tiny juice sacs within the segments of an orange? Like that but a ton bigger)
    Nooo. Nothing like oranges. I hesitate to use the word "meaty", but it's a pretty robust kind of fruit. Firm grape is the closest consistency I can think of. Maybe a mango a (very slightly) on the underripe side. Juicy but with body? Man words are failing me.
    Dioxazine purple.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Sounds... like the ones I have are VERY odd then.
    They're basically white and brown sacks of juice with no texture.
    Meow(Steam page)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

All I know the dark red ones are the best ripe with small amount of juice.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Sounds... like the ones I have are VERY odd then.
    They're basically white and brown sacks of juice with no texture.
    That ain't right. They're not canned, are they? 'Cause there's such a thing as canned lychee but I don't think I'd be keen on it.
    Dioxazine purple.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

"Fresh"... or at least, uncanned. The inner structure is also fascinating, like some sort of tightly coiled flower? With sort of "petals" wrapped around the inner seed.
    Also, two peels?(the spikes, and then a soft skin, and then the membrane containing the juices)
    Last edited by Togath; 2017-07-10 at 03:59 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

You know, I might just need a picture. I mean an actual pic of what is in your possession. I'm just not wrapping my mind around what you're describing with what I know of lychees.
    Dioxazine purple.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

...yeah, that's not how I'd describe lychee at all as well. Can you show us the pic of what alien egg you've been eating ?

'Cause there's such a thing as canned lychee but I don't think I'd be keen on it.
    Canned lychee is nice. It's more commonly eaten here than fresh ones. Canned fruit/vegetables got unfair reputation, they can be more nutritious/taste better than unfresh fruit/vegetables shipped from thousands of miles away. Though obviously it depends on the fruit and preparation (caning fruit on syrup obviously add lots of sugar on it, etc)
    Last edited by Fri; 2017-07-10 at 04:27 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

Uh... This is what a lychee should look like:

The dark seed is smooth and slick. There's often a sort of thin crisp "shell" or membrane between the seed and the flesh. And then the flesh is sweet, perfumed and with the texture sort of like a firm grape, with a membrane around the outside that IIRC is quite dry unless you pierce it, which usually happens pretty quick. Then a thin... sort of crispy sort of skin, hard to describe the texture of it, that you peel off.

Then there's the rambutan, which is very similar:

edit: TIL you can eat rambutan seeds (after cooking) but not lychee.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2017-07-11 at 09:42 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I'd suggest using your mouth but some of my friends say good things about the nostrils.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

I always peel all of those that i'm going to eat. Than I just put one in my mount and chew it until only the big middle seed is left. And put the seed out. done

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

I have 4 trees of the things. Best is when red, unfortunately the animals know this too despite not being a native fruit. I am lucky to get a few every year off one of the trees. It is a very cool fruit and one of my favorites. I have had them from the produce sections of Asian markets. Typically the refrigeration turns the bright red into a dullish grey/brown color. They still tasted pretty good, although obviously like most fruit, they taste 100x better fresh from the tree. That's why so many people don't like mangos who have never had fresh mango. If its green its not ready. Most even commercial mangos need to be red/orange mostly depending on the variety(of which there are hundreds if not thousands). Also most commercial mangos are crappy varieties like Tommy Atkins or Kent. Lychees are an exception, because from what I have tried from the store, the commercial variety is actually pretty good. Sweetheart is grown here in the States at commercial levels. I have two trees myself and its a good tree.

Lychee is one of those once you try them, you want to keep trying them type fruits. I rarely pass up an opportunity to pick some up when I come across them. Simply crack the shell, peel it and eat the whole thing and spit out the seed.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair14 View Post
    Best is when red, unfortunately the animals know this too despite not being a native fruit.
    I now want to watch a non-native (relative to the lychee) animal eating a lychee. What sort of animals usually come in to snatch lychees?

I found a parrot peeling and eating a lychee, no idea if it's good for the parrot.
    Last edited by goto124; 2017-08-04 at 08:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

I assume the usual suspects, Squirrels, raccoons and opossums. I had one of these take out a pineapple I have been growing for a while. Very frustrating as it takes several years to get them to fruit and a year for one to grow and ripen. Grrr. Deer take out my citrus, mulberry, and loquats quite a bit too.