New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice XXVIII: Happy and Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    She said yes! No solid day or time yet, since she said she had plans this coming week (I'm kind of kicking myself for not offering a specific date when she asked when rather than 'whatever works for you, I'm pretty free now that the quarter's out', though), but she gave me her phone number and we agreed to make plans sometime. Granted...

... there is the possibility of that. At least there was no overt indication that she wanted to make explicit that she meant as friends, but if there's any ambiguity in the future, I'll try and get clarification.

I just feel kind of proud of myself for actually going for it in any case. I feel sort of like this was partially to prove to myself that I really am back to the confident, assertive person I used to be before I became an anxious wreck, so I'd have been pretty happy even if she'd said no or made it clear it would be only as friends. At least I'd have tried instead of letting the opportunity pass by and regretting it later.
    Congrats! And that's a healthy attitude to have I think. like you said, regardless of how things go you still worked up the nerve to ask. Nothing ventured and all, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

She said yes! No solid day or time yet, since she said she had plans this coming week (I'm kind of kicking myself for not offering a specific date when she asked when rather than 'whatever works for you, I'm pretty free now that the quarter's out', though), but she gave me her phone number and we agreed to make plans sometime. Granted...

... there is the possibility of that. At least there was no overt indication that she wanted to make explicit that she meant as friends, but if there's any ambiguity in the future, I'll try and get clarification.

I just feel kind of proud of myself for actually going for it in any case. I feel sort of like this was partially to prove to myself that I really am back to the confident, assertive person I used to be before I became an anxious wreck, so I'd have been pretty happy even if she'd said no or made it clear it would be only as friends. At least I'd have tried instead of letting the opportunity pass by and regretting it later.
    Well done. It would have been worse to die wondering than to have been rejected, being her saying yes is better than both.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

Cheering for you anyway! Good luck

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't feel like that is a valid question. My feelings towards C are deeply ingrained in who I am: we've been dating for long enough that she is one of the most important parts of my life. Our history means that I'm not going to be able to rationally weigh how I feel about her in the scenario you've described.

Furthermore, V has a committed boyfriend, and they've been dating almost as long as C and I have. Hell, I've met him, and they seemed pretty cozy. So in this exercise, I would of course always pick C - but the experiment itself fails because I'm not really looking to swap partners, or compare the two. My problem is not that I want to be with V, but rather how I feel about flirtations that have already happened.
    Couldn't disagree more regarding the validity of the question - but you totally answered it in your post.

Which should settle it - you did nothing wrong. As Xapi pointed out, everyone likes to feel desirable. There's a huge chasm between harmless flirting and actually cheating.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    In general, after you're done school you have a couple of common options:
    - Bars/clubs and the like
    - Group social activities
    - Work
    - Apps and online dating

You mentioned trying the first two (at least the second to a degree with your FLGS). Work can be a tricky one but I know a lot of people who met their significant other at work. These tend to be more organic transitions though from colleague to friend to significant other, rather than just asking people out. There's also all sorts of risks there so it is definitely something to approach carefully.

Otherwise the last one about online dating and apps is probably the most likely to be successful one. You're introduced directly into a pool of people who are also looking for a significant other. It's not perfect and you'll likely need to send many messages and not get many meaningful replies but its still something.

If you're opposed to that for whatever reason, other social activities are probably the best. Find your local community center and see what types of activities there are for people your age. Volunteering is also a possibility where you can meet other people.
    I've tried online dating. Had more dates from that than anything else, but my luck and appeal eventually ran out and I stopped seeing any results. Never got past a first date anyways. I think I'm just inherently super repulsive in any kind of romantic sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Anymage View Post
    Just for an example. If I told you that girls liked gym bros, would you be willing to become a gym bro?

Here's what lies at the heart of the matter. Making tiny changes and working within your comfort zone hasn't yielded any real results to date. The next logical step is to start making some more significant changes and step further outside your comfort zone. This in turn requires a willingness to take risks and jettison ideas that, in practice, have only served to hold you back.

So again. Using gym bro as an example and not holy writ as to What Women Really Want, would you be willing to make that change in the name of better situating yourself?
    If you mean, will I change who I fundamentally am, then no? Because what's the point if you have to give up everything about yourself that makes you you.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    For the record, that's unlikely to matter. I don't meet people. (That's an aside, though.)
    For the record, I'll ask you in a year if you decide to dump him (and proceed with the idea). And you'll owe me a chocolate if you meet someone

However, what I meant is... there is a huge difference between "I don't usually meet people, but if I happen to meet someone who works for me I'll give it a try" and "I don't usually meet people, so I am fine with ignoring the possible romance to wait for Mr. Imperfect to finally slither to me".

And yeah, widening your social circle would be one of suggested steps if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl
    Ugh, yeah, I've actually been through that particular emotional mess once already.
    Good for you! At least you know what you don't want in a relationship!

So an extension of this mess, only going even more sour with time. Okay, I definitely want to avoid that.
    Relationships usually fail for some reasons. It's a very small probability that the reason goes away just by "getting older". Also: review the reasons why the relationship failed. Can any of these be solved just by adding time? Realistically?

Or would you need a full overhaul of your/his character for it to work?

In second case, time never helps.

Heh. Thanks, but I think I can guess how it feels.
    Well, I meant how it feels when you actually spend these few years. For no result.

Or, to put it somewhat more clearly, get well clear before you lose your mind. I must admit, you guys make a pretty convincing case.
    One more thing. I'll put it into spoilers, because it's somewhat... blunt and direct. And I will also most probably sound like a hole of a donkey

Spoiler: The really bad part
    Show

There are usually two "issues" with relationship which can be solved by the "let's meet up in x years" thing.
    First is distance (which however assumes you will work to overcome it) and second is having some previous attachments (e.g. signing up for army, etc.) which would ruin the relationship but will not ruin friendship and possible chance of relationship after it ends (but it also assumes that neither of you will look for a partner in the meantime).

This is - from what I gather - neither.

So what is the gain?

For him, it's easy to pinpoint: he has a safety belt against loneliness. In case all his future relationships fail, you'll be there for him (not as a friend, but as... supplement). And he doesn't have to be afraid of failing in relationships.

You know how people get more attractive when they are not single? Because they are not desperate to find a mate - so they are more at ease. By "staying by his side", waiting for the future relationship, you are giving him the advantage of being more attractive by not having to find a mate. After all, if it doesn't work he only has to call you.

For you... not so much. He's the one with certainty - and you're his certainty.

You know one sure way to ruin any relationship? Take someone for granted. I see relationships that burn due to this all the time - you take someone for granted, soon they become "non-special". Along comes someone special - not better, just someone who is not a certainty. The End.

But one thing - we can talk, you can read it - but the result is, unless you decide, on your own, that you want a working relationship and are willing to do something for it... yeah, it's a losing battle. It will only lead to you posting there, people offering sympathy/advice and you going deeper and deeper into the personal hell of seeing someone you want to spend your life with being with other people. And being happy.

Do you want to be happy? Do you want to have a working relationship?

Prepare to work for it.

Rant end

...and by the way... it can be done. You are able - and you have right for a healthy, working relationship, in which you are happy. Don't throw it away.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    I've tried online dating. Had more dates from that than anything else, but my luck and appeal eventually ran out and I stopped seeing any results. Never got past a first date anyways. I think I'm just inherently super repulsive in any kind of romantic sense.
    I get the impression that you tend to solely blame yourself for this and that can lead to depression and does not help with your confidence. If that's the case then I can relate, because I also used to think only I was entirely to blame for my lack of success with women (granted, this was not entirely untrue), but after considerable improvement and years of experience I came to realize that I was actually not the only common factor. Contemporary dating culture tends to be toxic to both women as well as men and just as there is a set of typically male behaviors and attitudes that contribute to that toxicity, I have noticed that so too there is a set of typically female behaviors and attitudes that do that (perhaps not to the same degree or severity, but it's definitely there).

My point is: keep making improvements and building your life, but don't blame yourself so much for lack of romantic success because chances are it isn't because of you.

8. - Top - End - #188

Cheering for you anyway! Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    Well done. It would have been worse to die wondering than to have been rejected, being her saying yes is better than both.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Congrats! And that's a healthy attitude to have I think. like you said, regardless of how things go you still worked up the nerve to ask. Nothing ventured and all, right?
    Thanks! I'm hoping for the best. Worst case scenario, she's only interested in being friends, which is still great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    For the record, I'll ask you in a year if you decide to dump him (and proceed with the idea). And you'll owe me a chocolate if you meet someone
    Honestly, if in a year I've managed to be happy in a good relationship, you get the best chocolate I can find. I suggest shaving it onto fresh strawberries and adding Devonshire cream.

However, what I meant is... there is a huge difference between "I don't usually meet people, but if I happen to meet someone who works for me I'll give it a try" and "I don't usually meet people, so I am fine with ignoring the possible romance to wait for Mr. Imperfect to finally slither to me".
    Umm, no, I mean I haven't had a conversation with anyone I didn't already know since . . . probably Christmas? With the exception of one friend-of-a-friend who's now part of my tiny social circle.

And yeah, widening your social circle would be one of suggested steps if possible.
    Alternately, I could write more books.

Good for you! At least you know what you don't want in a relationship!
    No, I mean he already found and broke up with another girl since me, and I'm still having trouble with this decision.

Yes, I'm completely disgusted with myself, why do you ask?

Relationships usually fail for some reasons. It's a very small probability that the reason goes away just by "getting older". Also: review the reasons why the relationship failed. Can any of these be solved just by adding time? Realistically?
    Actually, there's a reasonable chance for one or two, and even my common sense agrees with that.

Or would you need a full overhaul of your/his character for it to work?
    Maybe? I honestly doubt it.

Well, I meant how it feels when you actually spend these few years. For no result.
    How many years? Three, maybe? While constantly feeling pathetic and ashamed? (No, no it was not the same guy, I'm not quite that unable to look after myself.)

One more thing. I'll put it into spoilers, because it's somewhat... blunt and direct. And I will also most probably sound like a hole of a donkey
    A little bit like. Then again, you said all the things I'd say to my best friend if she were in my place.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Honestly, if in a year I've managed to be happy in a good relationship, you get the best chocolate I can find. I suggest shaving it onto fresh strawberries and adding Devonshire cream.
    I have no problem with a bet . However, no idea where to get Devonshire cream

However, my assumptions are:
    - the "time limit" starts once you hit the "I'm not against new relationship but I'm fine with being single",
    - you have to work towards the goal, not against it,
    - you have to start meeting new people.

Agreed?

Umm, no, I mean I haven't had a conversation with anyone I didn't already know since . . . probably Christmas? With the exception of one friend-of-a-friend who's now part of my tiny social circle.
    Umm... so, you don't meet new people but you met new friend-of-a-friend?

Should I ask what are the reasons? Or should I leave at the fact that you actually meet new people, just rather rarely?

Alternately, I could write more books.
    I have found out that my biggest bursts of creativity come at two times: when there's nothing else to do to amuse myself, and when I'm having rather powerful unhappy feelings.

No, I mean he already found and broke up with another girl since me, and I'm still having trouble with this decision.
    It's hard to decide to stay alone.

But you forget: you are not alone. Just single.

Yes, I'm completely disgusted with myself, why do you ask?
    One thing my sister always does (I'm not a big fan of this, but she's a woman and she deals with things differently than I do) is... don't be disgusted with yourself. Be disgusted with him - he's the one who's pulling you through this mud, if he were such a great catch, he wouldn't do this to you and he would be up front.

Become disgusted with him. It might help.

Actually, there's a reasonable chance for one or two, and even my common sense agrees with that.
    That's actually nice!

Let's take a look at the wider picture: One or two out of...? And will the others - the ones that stay - still make the relationship so unbearable that we'll have the same discussion later?

Maybe? I honestly doubt it.
    Ok, so why did you break up? Don't answer me. Just answer yourself - if you are compatible, what happened?

How many years? Three, maybe? While constantly feeling pathetic and ashamed? (No, no it was not the same guy, I'm not quite that unable to look after myself.)
    It was three years for me too.

And let me tell you - it was worth it. The three years. Because I now remember that time - and when I was again placed in unhappy relationship, I ended it. Just for the reason that it's not worth waiting for someone who does not want to work on the relationship - or be in it. Because someone else might be much better match - and will stay and work through the bad times.

A little bit like. Then again, you said all the things I'd say to my best friend if she were in my place.
    Apologies.

But yes, I would do that for a friend of mine anytime.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

11. - Top - End - #191

NecromancerGuy

*deleted for reasons, apologies
    Last edited by Thrawn4; 2017-08-14 at 01:41 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know why talking and taking risks is so easy for me face-to-face only for me to just fall to pieces at the drop of a dime when it comes to sending and waiting for messages.
    An idea comes to mind...
    You really want me to spell it out?
    Play to your strengths and avoid doing the things that send you in a nervous spiral.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd like to, but I feel like I need to get over this weird text-based anxiety. Even if, well, it feels less like anxiety and more like a keening awareness of reality. And anyway, people these days seem to prefer texting over calling (which I'm vastly more comfortable with) by leaps and bounds.
    What people prefer really doesn't factor into it. You're the one communicating and reaching out, so the choice in how to do that is yours. If people ignore you for it, they're not the right kind of people. If they accept your calls/conversations but reply by text, that doesn't matter, because your issue is wIth people ignoring or dismissing your texts, not the other way around. If they make a point of insisting in communicating only by text or asking why you insist in using other means, you might as well take the chance to explain your apprehension/anxiety issue.If they see your point and accommodate for your choice of communication you'll know they're genuinely interested or at least nice people.If they don't, then we go back to them not really being worth your efforts on account of being out of step with you. Move on.
    You're looking for a potential partner, not just a pal to hang out with. You should feel comfortable enough with them to open up about this. If you're not...well.. you get my point.
    Yes, it would be better to break this pattern of anxiety, but until you do, you might as well learn to work around it
    Last edited by dehro; 2017-08-16 at 11:30 AM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I think you're right. Supposing I don't get a response to that text message in a couple days' time, is this particular situation salvageable? Should I give her a call or something, or would that just be pushy or failing to take the hint?
    Definitely try calling since you've already texted once. I generally try the call once if no answer wait til either couple hours later or the next day and try again. If that second call there's no answer, leave a voicemail and then the ball is in the other person's court. I wouldn't try to keep communicating with basically a stranger after that.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Welp.

I guess this is serious now, with Mr. Canuckistan. I'm sorta nervous, sorta not. My nervousness probably just stems from my fear of judgement from others, like, oooh, she's just going long distance again.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

What Chen said.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm starting to think that you're being foiled by a lack of the ability to emphatically understand what's being said to you, combined with poor planning on your part.
    Could it be that you're not very good at distinguishing between when somebody says "sure, let's get in touch about hanging out... " and "sure, let's get in touch about hanging out!"?
    The first case would be someone who doesn't want to say no to your face and will just never get back to you instead, skirting the obligation, whereas the second one actually means it.
    The poor planning bit on your end would be that your reply should close the deal instead... something along the lines of "actually, let's decide right now the logistics of our meet up/date", pre-emptively skipping the need and barrier of a further bureaucratic call.
    If they can't give you a definitive answer, the quality of their reply/reasons/excuses will tell you whether they are making excuses because they had no intention of hanging out in the first place or not.
    Last edited by dehro; 2017-08-21 at 04:45 AM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Either way, now I feel like kind of an idiot for the time I spent talking myself into asking her, or the time I spent all happy that she'd said yes, or the time I spent feeling nervous and realising she wasn't going to answer. And given I'm almost certainly never going to see her again, there's no room for any sense of closure. Even if you're right and I'm even more socially maladjusted than I thought and she'd just been letting me down easy, it'd be nice to actually hear that instead of just being shrugged off like nothing.
    Lots of people say something just to be polite and avoid seeing that they've upset someone. Plenty more will have vaguely good intentions, but not really be particularly arsed about followtrough. That's just something that happens. People can be easily sidetracked, and often just lazy.

(Also, if you don't mind me asking. You mention being trans. Do you generally present publicly as male or female? If the former, your experience is incredibly typical. Taking a deep breath and realizing that you're not uniquely messed up can help you stop beating yourself up for being a somehow defective human being.)

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

It's honestly an odd feeling to realise that I've not been this happy in a relationship since 2011-2012. I've had good relationships with good moods and all, but... the genuine happiness I feel is something I realise I've missed for the past few years. At the same time it's an incredible feeling, yet I feel sort of guilty for not feeling the same level of joy in my "in-between" relationships. Makes me question why I didn't enjoy those relationships as much from a really negative perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

20. - Top - End - #200
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That makes me think of depression and anxiety, I must admit. Could either of those have been a factor?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Saw this and I think it's good and relevant:

"The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock at the door."

I want more Strong female characters.

"In place of a Dark Lord, you would have a queen! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me, and despair!"

22. - Top - End - #202

So, minor rant.

There's a girl I know, sorta. Met on a dating site, added her on Snapchat, all well and good.

I've sent her something like three messages in the past couple months-nothing that seems (to me) ridiculous, always waiting a few weeks before sending another message (usually in response to something on her Snapchat story) and along the lines of a joke or something. Just friendly-like.

They've all gone unread. So, whatever, she's not interested. Except, today on her story...

"All I want is a relationship."

And I'm just thinking "You've given me NO CHANCE whatsoever! You've ignored every single message-you have not even READ THEM. If you were willing to give people a chance, maybe you wouldn't be single!"

I'm not saying I'm some amazing catch or anything, but I like to think I'm a nice guy, and that, even if we weren't to hit it off romantically, she could be a nice new friend. But just... I dunno. She seems kinda... Not sure what word is right, but you get my drift, I suppose.

Anyway, that's all for my rant. I have NOT read the thread up till this point, so *offers hugs* for everyone who needs them, and while I wouldn't be surprised to hear people are worse off, I sincerely hope that this minor "Ugh, whatever" is the worst thing happening right now.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

No one is owed a chance in terms of dating. After your initial meeting or discussion she may simply have decided she wasn't interested. I think continuing to send messages after the first was ignored probably just cemented that in her mind. Remove this person from Snapchat and move on, it's actually a little creepy to continue to send messages (even just a few) after months of intentional no response.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

My suspicion is honestly that she decided she wasn't honestly interested at around the time she added you on snapchat (which she may well have done just to be polite).

25. - Top - End - #205

No one is owed a chance in terms of dating. After your initial meeting or discussion she may simply have decided she wasn't interested. I think continuing to send messages after the first was ignored probably just cemented that in her mind. Remove this person from Snapchat and move on, it's actually a little creepy to continue to send messages (even just a few) after months of intentional no response.
    Pretty much. It's natural to feel disappointed and maybe even a little slighted, but it's pretty apparent she just wasn't interested, and she can't exactly be faulted for that. Best to just delete/remove her and forget about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

agreed. move on
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207

Good advice. I'm just a little peeved that she never read ANY of the messages.

Judging by the responses, I'm guessing that wasn't clear. It was not "We met up, had a good chat, and then she stopped talking."

It was "I sent her a message, she never read it."

That being said, yeah, probably should remove her from Snapchat.

Edit: Did the removing.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2017-09-15 at 12:28 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Good advice. I'm just a little peeved that she never read ANY of the messages.

Judging by the responses, I'm guessing that wasn't clear. It was not "We met up, had a good chat, and then she stopped talking."

It was "I sent her a message, she never read it."

That being said, yeah, probably should remove her from Snapchat.

Edit: Did the removing.
    If there was never any back and forth at all, then ignoring the messages is DEFINITELY a "I'm not interested". I presume there was SOME link to your dating profile so presumably she had enough info to make that decision, at least in her mind.

29. - Top - End - #209

If there was never any back and forth at all, then ignoring the messages is DEFINITELY a "I'm not interested". I presume there was SOME link to your dating profile so presumably she had enough info to make that decision, at least in her mind.
    Yeah. I'm just confused why she bothered to add me, if that's the case.

It just was a set of mixed signals, I guess? On the one hand, she added me, on the other, she never bothered to answer.

For me personally, I like to have some form of closure, if you know what I mean. I'd rather hear "Sorry, I'm not interested," from someone than just silence.

But regardless, it's in the past now.

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    They've all gone unread. So, whatever, she's not interested. Except, today on her story...

"All I want is a relationship."

And I'm just thinking "You've given me NO CHANCE whatsoever! You've ignored every single message-you have not even READ THEM. If you were willing to give people a chance, maybe you wouldn't be single!"
    You've got to read between the lines. When anyone says "all I want is a relationship", what it really means is "all I want is a relationship with someone who meets all or most of my criteria".

Someone can have tons of suitors, and at the same time be legitimately complaining about their inability to find someone. The apparent contradiction vanishes as soon as you add the implicit bit.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.