Ettin in the Playground

Default EMPIRE3! IV - CWBG - Meet The New Boss

EMPIRE!
    Gods, Kings & Adventurers
    A Community World-Building Game by Morph Bark

IC thread
    Dice-Rolling thread: Dice Thread I
    Event Suggestion Thread: Suggestion Thread

Welcome to EMPIRE! A game of gods, kings and adventurers. In this game, you will play a character, a ruler of a region. And once s/he dies, you will play their heir and so on, continuing on the family legacy. You scheme, discover and conquer your way towards becoming the most-remembered person in history. Respected, loved, feared.

This world will start as a simple one similar to the times of the late Middle Ages, but through the actions of players and random events the scope of the world will expand, science marches on and magic may even be introduced. Magic is rare, though monsters may be abound in players’ regions, strange natural resources or the crafts of alchemy may be at their use and supernatural phenomena can take place.

Best beware if you want to ensure your legacy.

Be warned! This is primarily a game of world-building, but contains some strategic elements, secretive scheming, and both cooperation and vehement competition between players at times. It's all easy enough to understand once you've read through the rules, and GREAT fun to play in and talk with all your co-world-builders in this thread, but keep in mind that in the game itself, IC, it can be a very bumpy ride. Let us ask questions, help each other, communicate, cooperate, build and have fun OOC, even as we bash each other's brains in IC.

Also, if you have a question, and you can ask a player (about their region or people, for instance), ask them instead of the GM. If you can ask it in the thread, do that instead of via PM. The GM's PM inbox is regularly cleared and thus things can easily get lost, so try keep it to secret stuff and (IC) reactions to stuff you get in your own inbox.

The World and Joining the Game

The World

From the diary of the Venerated Hadrayn of Moisa

The benighted continent of Celessa has seen five centuries of struggle follow five centuries of darkness. Kingdoms both petty and mighty have risen and fallen, men set against beasts and each other in a struggle to raise their heads from the mire. The one bastion of light has been the Shishiyan Church, a temple of hope striving to impose some kind of order.

Yet now, scholars are venturing into areas of research barely dreamt of for a thousand years. In studios artists are discovering new ways of capturing their visions of the world. In taverns in ports the continent over sailors talk of their ambition to sail beyond the horizon and discover new lands.

But for all that the threat of chaos still looms. Cities have been reborn from the ashes of those destroyed by pestilence of past generations, but buildings still stand empty and fields go untended, the people wary of returning to such plague-ridden sites - and perhaps rightly, for disease and famines still haunt the poor of many regions. In temples and monasteries disciples of the heretic Laska linger, dreaming of casting down the order of the Church, while in halls and castles their lordly allies brood on their defeat and plot revenge. Prophets of doom stalk the land talking of the threats of black sorcery from within and great armies from without, seeking to sweep the continent and impose their own false beliefs.

The continent stands poised at what may be a turning-point in history. Now is a time when empires could be forged.

The Shishiyan Church
    Spoiler
    Show

This is the principal religion of the continent and the only one organised to any substantial degree. The Shishiyan Church is a dualistic religion which holds that all life is a all life in the world as a struggle against the forces of chaos, evil and destruction, represented by the Enemy.

The Church has its headquarters on the borders of regions 1 and 7 and is headed by the Grand Mahangar.

The teachings of the Church are based on ancient prophecies and revelations given to mortals, culminating in the last and greatest recognised prophet, Ananda, who lived roughly 2000 years before the present date. A number of individuals since Ananda have themselves claimed to be prophets, but none have been accepted by the Church. Modern theology is drawn from an interpretation of the ancient prophecies and followers of those prophets; as a result, while the Church believes the truth of its message is eternal, there is room for a great deal of interpretation and some of its policy has changed a great deal over the centuries.

The Church tends to view foreign religions either as imperfect reflections of its own truth, adopting formerly pagan gods and heroes as demigods, venerated souls or servants of the Exalted, or as agents of the Enemy attempting to subvert the natural order. Either way, followers of such religions are ripe for conversion, or extermination.

A key point of Church doctrine is the belief that the battle between the Exalted and the Enemy is fought in this world, each represented by an individual. The Exalted’s agent is known as the Chosen, while the Enemy’s is called the Beast. The Chosen must defeat the Beast and thus deliver the world from its evil, before ascending to divinity. Strictly speaking, the Chosen is the head of the Church, with the Mahangar a steward and counsellor. However, no true Chosen have been identified since the time of Ananda, and thus many hold that the world has long since fallen under the shadow of the Beast.

Minor religions and schisms

None of these religions are organised at the start of the game. Some teeter on the verge of extinction, while others are yet to establish themselves. An opportunistic or devout ruler might choose to take on patronage of some of these groups, or allow them to slide into obscurity.

Gadism - A radical sect which holds that the Church has itself become corrupted: that the Mahangar is intentionally suppressing the discovery of any Chosen and acting as an agent of the Beast. For obvious reasons, this sect is aggressively persecuted by the Church wherever discovered, though has proven impossible to eradicate completely.

Kunism – An ancient religion which follows the Exalted but does not recognise Ananda as a true prophet. It is tolerated by the Church, though to an extent which varies by region and has not been consistent over time, but has no central authority and does not tend to pursue active conversion.

Laskists – Followers of a preacher who spoke out against the practices of the Church a few decades before the present time. He was killed and his followers persecuted, but the resulting wars destabilised many regions. Some of his followers, many quite influential, doubtless survive.

Niskism – A stubborn gnostic family of doctrines which has been aggressively persecuted but has continued to make resurgences in some form or other. Followers of Nishka believe that the world is a creation of the Enemy and that the righteous must distance themselves from it.

Sarvochism – an ancient interpretation of the Shishiyan doctrine which posits the existence of a third, arbitrary power, higher than the Exalted and the Enemy. While technically heretical, this belief system (which has a number of sub-schools) is partially tolerated where it would be inconvenient to eradicate.

Yadaism – A young and aggressive branch of the Church which claims to be the truest and most loyal followers of the Grand Mahangar. While they have proven useful to the Church at times, many suspect they have their own agenda.

Various Pagan Religions – The Church has been successful in eradicating true paganism in all but the remotest and most inaccessible of places. However many pagan beliefs and superstitions still circulate among the populace of some regions – some of which are considered within the scope of acceptable belief by the Church, others heathenism to be eradicated.

Atlas
    Spoiler
    Show
    Below is the most current map of the known world.

Claimed Capital Regions

Regions in italics have not yet been approved.

Region Number Name Player
    5 Aerok Zayuz
    7 Phoenix Estates BootStrapTommy
    8 Shimmering Coast Bokoblin
    12 Highlands of Mi'Vara Icilia
    14 Eismiir Kitsanth
    15 Saralyn Lord of Monies
    18 Shamaran Elemental
    19 Slavia Legionary
    23 Allanar Mary Sue
    32 Yssa Mountains Mechalich
    34 Xin Kun Rain Dragon
    35 Gehenna PepperP
    36 Zhentanna QuintonBeck
    37 Sheol TheDarkDM
    38 Blazing Lands Tychris
    40 Khada'aldul Geckus
    43 Euqeen m9p909
    44 Apiasolis moossabi
    45 Grasping Isles lt_murgen
    46 Sunlands HalfTangible
    50 Parlayan Dağlar Catrus
    52 Gleiss Lord_Burch
    55 Medved DimpleLoamsDown
    57 Adlerfirma BlazingAegis
    58 Gobsfull Doomhat
    61 Jauder woolli
    62 Ynys y Corthydd Kythia
    64 Neveran Minescratcher
    65 Thule NPC
    66 Baalbek Lleban
    67 Caligonia Tentreto
    69 Karich Aventine
    70 Solmarest ShadowShrubbery
    71 Sardollah Shadowz1797
    72 Narkíssus Slawth13
    74 Emeraldvale Potato_Priest
    77 Pfatzhalter AdmiralCatticus
    78 Lohikaermaa Rolepgeek

Joining the Game

First of all, read this thread

Got it? Good. Take a look at the map and work out roughly where you'd like to start. Most regions currently on the map are occupied and not available for new players, but regions around the edge of the map will be opened up for people who want to join. Let Aedilred know where you'd like to start and he'll find a region for you. Once you've got your region, write up your submission and it in this thread for review and approval. Once you're approved you can post your country details in this thread and start taking actions in the IC thread.

The Rules of the Game & Data Collection

Game Masters
    Legacy Master: Aedilred

GM Team

Head GM: TheDarkDM

Trade Tables: ???

Extra Player Resources (For the Players, By the Players)
    Heraldry Generator (thanks, Logic!)
    Family Banner Generator
    Flag Generator (thanks, Logic!)
    Family Tree Builder (thanks, zabbarot!)
    EMPIRE! Podcast (thanks, PepperP!)

Spoiler: Previous OOC Threads
    Show

Thread I - Dec 19th 2016 - Feb 12th 2017
    Thread II - Feb 12th - April 6th

Should there be anything incorrect or not updated yet about any of the above tables it’s always possible that the GM or co-GM in charge of that has missed it. If so, please feel free to inform us with the proper, most updated information.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2017-06-08 at 12:52 PM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE3! IV - CWBG - Meet The New Boss

I'll trim it to 40k and 60 respectively if that's acceptable.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Ah, teach me to try and correct things at four in the morning. And the Zhen don't really care how the Suzerain interprets the law, given they consider him an illegitimate ruler.
    The Suzerain is not the one interpreting the law, the Curia, the republican government of the Estates, is.

Also, the Suzerain is a she.

You should probably edit that at some point...
    Last edited by BootStrapTommy; 2017-06-09 at 12:24 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

The joining the game section of that OOC post should instruct people to contact Dark, not Aedilred
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

5. - Top - End - #5

New thread time! A fresh canvas for backstabbing! Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Tentreto, I'm afraid that I will have to give you burning serum next round. Will that be OK?
    Sure, I'm fine with it.

Also, Southern buddies, remember the defence agreement ends this round. one of us might want to event up.
    King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Played as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4. Flew too close to the sun

Played as the Duenem in Empire 5. Ordered a God to stand down, and kept a contingency ready...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

And that's still true? I'm just saying you can't cross the streams and start throwing Mil and Econ techs into your low-key magic.

Dark, the whole reason Blessings of Solaris is a thing at all is so I can use low-key magic for my techs in place of actual technology. 'My faith is my shield' kinda thing. Priests can't heal, but treating wounds in a temple gives you a better chance to survive. There is no golden magical shield, but sheer luck and coincidence bend to your favor. Etc, etc, et-cetera.

I spent the miracle on establishing that this kind of magic exists, and I intended to use other techs (with Blessings as a requirement) to expand on them, such as the Icons. Further miracles would go to empowering the Blessings (for a second tier that would itself require new technologies) or for more obvious forms of magic.

Are you telling me that I cannot do this?
    I'm done blaming myself for things that are someone else's fault.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo

Discord: HalfTangible#7505
    I'm always available to talk (just let me know you're from the playground)

Extended Sig

Current Roleplaying
    Kalani the Heartbinder in Pan-aeons [God Game]

7. - Top - End - #7

BardGuy

The map in the post up top needs to be updated when you have a moment, Dark.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Question just to be safe: what happens to vassals if their liege becomes inactive?
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

This would most appropriately extend the length you can travel without taking distance losses.
    The idea I was going for is that size losses happen because it is really hard to manage a huge group of people, keeping them all fed and healthy and whatever. If the soldiers are more self-sufficient and don't need as much centralized logistical support, then you can have a larger army before the logistics start to become too complicated to handle.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

frown Re: EMPIRE3! IV - CWBG - Meet The New Boss

TheDarkDM! your inbox is full!
    Last edited by lilyman266; 2017-06-08 at 04:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rolepgeek View Post
    Question just to be safe: what happens to vassals if their liege becomes inactive?
    It would be on a case by case basis, but assuming there wouldn't be some massive upheaval as a result I'd probably have the liege fade out and give the vassal a region or two while the rest fell into disrepair and became open. Give the vassal a shot to fill the geopolitical void, as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyman266 View Post
    TheDarkDM! your inbox is full!
    I've freed some space.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post

Dark, the whole reason Blessings of Solaris is a thing at all is so I can use low-key magic for my techs in place of actual technology. 'My faith is my shield' kinda thing. Priests can't heal, but treating wounds in a temple gives you a better chance to survive. There is no golden magical shield, but sheer luck and coincidence bend to your favor. Etc, etc, et-cetera.

I spent the miracle on establishing that this kind of magic exists, and I intended to use other techs (with Blessings as a requirement) to expand on them, such as the Icons. Further miracles would go to empowering the Blessings (for a second tier that would itself require new technologies) or for more obvious forms of magic.

Are you telling me that I cannot do this?
    That is what I'm telling you, yes.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2017-06-08 at 04:59 PM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

12. - Top - End - #12

I'd personally either suggest pairing it with a Faith 10 miracle to grant it some magical abilities, or making it non-magical for now, then making a miracle later on, paired with another tech that is a magical version of the non-magical one.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Okay

So

You're reversing Aed's previous ruling on this

Meaning my central concept for the Cult going forward is impossible and Isaia's miracle is now retroactively rendered a waste.

Fine. Whatever. You're the GM.

Extended Sig

Current Roleplaying

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Okay

So

You're reversing Aed's previous ruling on this

Meaning my central concept for the Cult going forward is impossible and Isaia's miracle is now retroactively rendered a waste.

Fine. Whatever. You're the GM.
    It would likely work if you made a tech, then used another tech development and the miracle to make a slightly magical version of it, but I am not the GM, so do not quote me on that.

15. - Top - End - #15

Well, one of the reasons might be that if you have technologies that require you to have a specific blessing to utilize, then literally only you can use them, which means they aren't technology. Part of the point of Econ and Mil Techs is that they can be stolen (I personally think it might be too easy to steal them, as it is, but that's another matter), which is part of why you can give them resource requirements, which is it's own risk/reward thing, where you can limit the people able to use the tech against you, but you also risk being unable to use the tech yourself if they steal that resource. Having a blessing as a requirement nullifies all of those disadvantages. Miracles are designed to be things that only affect you, in exchange for the startup cost of needing to found a religion. If you wanted to create an econ tech related to magic research or the like to justify it, that might work (hell, it could be faith or sun magic or the like, even), or doing something specific and single-time oriented for tech related to faith. Or use another blessing to allow sunforges that enable it. It still be needs to be a technology, but you can flavor it as other things as long as there's a means for others to have some way of using it, I think. Miracle bonuses are you-only. Tech bonuses can be nabbed by others. Other than tactics, I believe, which are like nation specific.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Insightful Remark
    +1.

Where does it say that tactics can't be stolen?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Blessings of Solaris grants Isaia minor holy magic, and establishes that the remainder of the miracle applies to leaders who convert to the Cult. The techs would be impossible to use for anyone outside of the Cult. It's specifically listed in the miracle itself, here.

You're right to say that that keeps the tech from getting stolen, but it also makes it impossible to trade. Meaning that the Cult's always going to be limited in technology by its ability to produce techs of its own and mooch gifts off of its allies, neither of which happen very often. The Sunlands are also never going to expand in territory, meaning that the Cult's resources and territory are also severely limited.

This kind of magic has not been my plan since the Cult's conception, but it's been there from very early on. I double and triple checked whether this was okay. It required a lot of hard wrangling, and Aed specifically told me what level of magic would be okay for this. If Dark wants to change that now, fine, he's the GM and Aed isn't anymore, but don't talk like I haven't thought this through or should have seen it coming. Please.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2017-06-08 at 08:32 PM.

Extended Sig

Current Roleplaying

18. - Top - End - #18

Part of the point of Econ and Mil Techs is that they can be stolen (I personally think it might be too easy to steal them, as it is, but that's another matter)
    I think that stealing techs isn't necessarily sending thieves to go and take the techs from your people's massive tech storage bins, but is more copying what your people are doing with the techs and seeing how to make them for your own people. But maybe I am wrong.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by DimpleLoamsdown View Post
    I think that stealing techs isn't necessarily sending thieves to go and take the techs from your people's massive tech storage bins, but is more copying what your people are doing with the techs and seeing how to make them for your own people. But maybe I am wrong.
    I for one have a tech dumpster.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Compared to last game, this game seems like people are handing out techs like candy.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Lleban View Post
    I for one have a tech dumpster.
    So many good techs, thrown in the trash...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    So many good techs, thrown in the trash...
    Ikr so much hard work that goes to waste buahahaha...well this is coming from the person who calls their ships Junks.

23. - Top - End - #23

I know. >.> But it's hard to copy 'mystical subtle magical help because sun god'.

Also, if people within the cult can use it, then it means that you can trade it to allies who have converted, who can't have it stolen from them. In addition to that, the Sunlands can steal techs for themselves to boot, or get techs in trade for military assistance. I wasn't trying to talk like you haven't thought through this, I was trying to maybe give one possible explanation for why they might be doing this, so you didn't feel as devastated or frustrated. I would be similarly frustrated if my idea for the Dragon Cult turned out to be impossible with Dark. I apologize if I gave a different impression.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tentreto View Post
    A fresh canvas for backstabbing!
    ---> Reserved as Future thread title <----

Quote Originally Posted by Tentreto View Post
    Also, Southern buddies, remember the defence agreement ends this round. one of us might want to event up.
    I will host one starting next round. But I have a feeling the united southern front is going to fall apart.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    I will host one starting next round. But I have a feeling the united southern front is going to fall apart.
    May a delegation from Qladbishshe and Medved come to this meeting? It has been a long time since I did some rp with my dudes.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

May a delegation from Qladbishshe and Medved come to this meeting? It has been a long time since I did some rp with my dudes.
    I may do it as a Regatta, so there will be racing and sailing. But the Southern Compact (III) meetings will be Southern Nations only.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

27. - Top - End - #27

I may do it as a Regatta, so there will be racing and sailing. But the Southern Compact (III) meetings will be Southern Nations only.
    Rip...
    Isn't Gleiss an exception though? And I am the vassal of Gleiss.

28. - Top - End - #28

Goblin

We are all southern when compared to the Skrillings
    total-cluster**** of yogurt, drugs and sheep in EMPIRE!
    The rodent tribes of the Ruby Legion in EMPIRE2!
    The goblin kingdom of Jauder in EMPIRE3!
    The sailors of Izbefe in EMPIRE4!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Lleban View Post
    Ikr so much hard work that goes to waste buahahaha...well this is coming from the person who calls their ships Junks.
    Badumptss

Ah, another Murgen run Regatta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    Badumptss

Ah, another Murgen run Regatta.
    Is it my fault I end up playing Islanders..... Well, yeah, I guess it kind of is.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.