New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Default Advice for Traveling

Wooo...so, I'm kind of doing the whole "bum around Europe" thing in a little bit, in a very condensed way. Just five days or so. I'm set to train into Brussels from London, and so I'm looking for any advice/suggested stops based on that general location. As I'm not too familiar with European rail systems, I don't know if I can but I would like to spend at least a day or so in Paris; is this the kind of thing that I should have booked way in advance, or is rail travel on the continent at least somewhat possible with shorter notice?

Beyond that...any advice for the first time traveling alone in a strange land? I'm sure that somewhere out there, one of you has some valuable anecdote you've been waiting to share for ages.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Advice for Traveling

Wear comfortable shoes.

Nothing sucks more then your feet hurting when your somewhere else.

You know besides getting robbed or stabbed or something

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Carry the absolute minimum. Nothing like encumberance rules to sour your mood.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Mmm. My feet are already nice and pre-chewed, thanks to Tintagel and the Tor. I'm traveling pretty light...to the point where I'm actually worried about having brought too little. Then I remind myself that I'll never see these people again, and so it matters little that I've been wearing the same pair of shorts for three days.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Find some hostels, I forget the name of where I stayed, but it was pretty cheap like 18 euro or something (about 20-21 US dollars)

Don't stay in Paris for one day, you won't get to see anything, probably too tired from the train/plane ride.

Any friends/family in europe, look them up and stay with them.

There's usually really cheap deals on airfare once you are in Europe, so you should look out for that, I think I saw in Germany an airplane ticket to the czech republic for 10 euro or something.

visit Budapest! Awesome city, and stay at the Station Guest House - party hostel very cool if you don't want to go to bed.

Romania is quite nice too, the train ride from budapest to sibiu is about 10 hrs. but cheap roundtrip ($40 though it might have changed by now) and romania is still not on the euro so 1 american dollar = 3 romanian Lei (and everything is priced pretty cheap as well).

always have important things on your person.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

I love traveling.I may be kinda young, but I've got some good advice. Bring the necessary stuff, like toiletries (You don't wanna have bad breath while traveling. ) but also, if you're going to be on a long train or plane ride, bring something like a book to keep yourself occupied. Getting bored makes time pass MUCH slower on long road trips.
    Best Villan ever.

Kudos to Kurnour for the avatar!

Sometimes I feel like Belkar. You just can't feel good until you stab someone.

TESTS! LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!

Bene qui latuit, bene vixit

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Make sure you have a valid passport. Seriously, it sounds dumb, but check now, just in case.
    Ceika is amazing, because she made my Yuna avie. Yay Ceika!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jazz1m View Post
    but it was pretty cheap like 18 euro or something (about 20-21 US dollars)
    The Euro is worth quite a bit more nowadays, 1.38 dollars for a single euro (so, 18 euro would be around 25 dollars)
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

9. - Top - End - #9

Visit Hamburg! Hands down the most beautiful city in Germany. You haven't seen the country, if you haven't been to Hamburg.
    The port is great, we've got all kinds of museums (although I have to admit that Berlin, our archnemesis, has better ones) and, most importantly, we are nice, polite and reserved, not like evil Berlin (seriously ... what has Berlin ever done for you?).
    Outside of Germany, I suggest Denmark (Copenhagen), Rome (my favourite city on the continent) and London, but you've already planned that.
    Train travel is generally quite easy and if you don't mind standing from time to time, you don't have to pre-book anything. Also, I recall something like a European railway card for most countries.
    I think the phrase rhymes with 'clucking bell'.

Lord Flashheart by Kalirush

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

If I may be so bold, visit the Netherlands, but not Amsterdam or the bible belt (yes, we have a bible belt, Staphorst and virtually all the other traditional clothing places are in there), visit a smaller city like Zwolle, Deventer, Groningen, Nijmegen or any of the plenty of other options, those places really capture the spirit of the NL.
    ٩๏̯͡๏

11. - Top - End - #11

NecromancerGuy

Well, I am someone that has just recently gotten back from travelling around Europe, except we did it by car and spent a good 3 weeks over it. But then we got to enjoy Brussels, an awful lot of France and Spain, and bits of Switzerland. 'Twas ambitious, at the very least.

The thing you have to be very aware of is that things will probably take slightly more time than even your best planning will allow. Brussels alone is a place that you could spend an awful lot of time in - just find a pretty pub and sit down.

If I had to give you my honest opinion I'd suggest condencing your trip down to just France, because after five days you'd be wishing you had so much more time. But then, I guess it all really depends on what you're looking for. Why are you travelling? I went for the scenery, and the architecture. And I was overjoyed. Seriously.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post

Nothing sucks more then your feet hurting when your somewhere else.

You know besides getting robbed or stabbed or something
    Or having you liver stolen.

No but seriously, shoes ARE important. It also depends what you wanna do.. If you wanna just go around town sightseeing, then it shouldn't be a big prob. If you're more like a nature explorer (like me), then bring food,clothes and good shoes.
    I have no friends; I make my Mind my Friend.
    I have no enemy; I make Incautiousness my Enemy.
    I have no castle; I make Immovable Mind my Castle.
    I have no principles; I make Adaptability to all circumstances my Principle.
    I have no laws; I make Self-Protection my Laws.
    I have no sword; I make No Mind my Sword.

-The Samurai Creed

Even in the darkest places you will find a friend.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GryffonDurime View Post
    Mmm. My feet are already nice and pre-chewed, thanks to Tintagel and the Tor. I'm traveling pretty light...to the point where I'm actually worried about having brought too little. Then I remind myself that I'll never see these people again, and so it matters little that I've been wearing the same pair of shorts for three days.
    I'd seriously advise against shorts in the UK right now.

14. - Top - End - #14

Shoes...I did paris in 1 day and my I had blisters so bad that my...

well let's just say good shoes, ones that aren't tight, and don't mind getting water splashed on them.

Notre dame is amazing, btw, especially if your an art geek like me.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

my advice: 5 days is WAY too short for europe...
    so you'll have to choose either you want to see lots of details in like one or two cities or see the basic touristy stuff that doesn't take a lot of time which would mean you could see like 4 cities...
    either way you'll be seeing so much it'll be impossible to take it all in.
    If I were you I'd just stick with France... Spend a few days in Paris and a few in Brussels... Paris is very expensive though so staying there will cost a lot...
    Don't leave ANYTHING important in a hostel if you've booked for more then one night!
    talk to other tourists in the hostels... you'll meet the most interesting people there and they will be able to tell you lots about what they have done and what they liked etc. besides that if you make a few friends it will make it a lot more fun then just wandering around alone.
    don't go into the louvre unless you plan on spending your entire trip there... it's too big to handle in one day and there are more interesting things in Paris like the eiffel tower.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

It doesn't matter where you're going or what you're gonna do, I only have one piece of advice: take a towel. It's all you really need, and it's the most versatile tool known to man.
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doihaveaname? View Post
    I'd seriously advise against shorts in the UK right now.
    unless you intend to wear them with waders...

oh and if you find yourself in london don't forget to buy london bridge.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

My best travel advice: don't panic.

Stuff goes wrong. You miss trains, or you can't find a cafe, or you lose your money, or you can't find a hotel room, or you miss your flight, or you can't read the language and end up on the wrong metro line and are wandering around Moscow in the dead of winter trying to find a cab.

Very few of those things are life-threatening, and most of those problems can be solved with a smile, a helpful stranger, or judicious application of monetary funds. The important part is to keep a level head, which you sound like you have.

(Also, always carry a bit of food on you. Few things suck more than being lost AND hungry.)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gezina View Post
    If I may be so bold, visit the Netherlands, but not Amsterdam or the bible belt (yes, we have a bible belt, Staphorst and virtually all the other traditional clothing places are in there), visit a smaller city like Zwolle, Deventer, Groningen, Nijmegen or any of the plenty of other options, those places really capture the spirit of the NL.
    Seconded. Smaller Dutch cities are much nicer than the 'Randstad' (the cluster of large cities in the western Netherlands). Gezina's suggestions are quite good.

But to be honest, I don't think the Netherlands are the best Europe has to offer. I don't know what you consider the general vicinity of Brussels, but I can recommend the following:

Berlin. Beautiful and varied architecture, and much historical stuff (mostly focused on WWII and the Soviet era).

I'd also consider other French cities. Although Paris is nice, I prefer Lyon or Avignon. Both are beautiful cities.

Brussels. It's got chocolate.

Prague is also very nice, but it's a bit far from Brussels. Still, it's small enough to visit in one day.

Rome. It's probably too far from Brussels, but it's one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

20. - Top - End - #20

Um, Berlin has some things to offer, sure, but it's not a typically German city. It's still torn apart between East and West, and while there are some nice parts (mostly the Potsdamer Platz and the area around the Brandenburger Tor), most of Berlin is just plain ugly.
    I think the phrase rhymes with 'clucking bell'.

Lord Flashheart by Kalirush

21. - Top - End - #21

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Herman View Post
    I'd also consider other French cities. Although Paris is nice, I prefer Lyon or Avignon. Both are beautiful cities.
    Agreed. Paris is unlikely to impress or surprise, at least to the extent that you might be hoping, and what you'd expect given how much you'll be paying for it. Avignon, Carcassone, Annecy and the like, and million chateaux and other such touristy places are a much better bet in my opinion. And yeah, if you've only got 5 days, you're probably only gonna manage one country, skimming.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Triple post much, Charity?
    ٩๏̯͡๏

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Euro is worth quite a bit more nowadays, 1.38 dollars for a single euro (so, 18 euro would be around 25 dollars)

Ah, thanks for the correction, I had gone to Europe sometime ago, and the exchange rate was a bit lower.

Other places to see

Stuttgart in Germany (quite nice, I enjoyed it) - there's also a bunch of castle ruins, if only I could remember the names...

Paris is ok, it is such a tourist trap, I hear southern France is quite nice however.

Portugal - lovely.

5 days is not enough to see a lot of stuff, I suggest staying in one area and explore around there.
    Last edited by jazz1m; 2007-07-25 at 10:18 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Never forget disposable bags for... biological necessities--- ye never know when your meal forgot its keys and decides to go back up to get them.

Never forget headache medicines, stomachache medicines, painkilling ointments for feet after much walking/hiking/running, bandages, iodine and other first aids.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    we get the picture...

Annecy is pretty
    Last edited by Archonic Energy; 2007-07-25 at 10:38 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    we get the picture...

Annecy is pretty
    Triple post much, Charity?
    Buh?
    I didn't think it even let one do that anymore..

Well it is pretty, it's where all the French want to go on holiday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Buh?
    so you admit you broke the forum then...

wait till i tell Lilly this!
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

NecromancerGuy

Buh?

Well it is pretty, it's where all the French want to go on holiday.
    He's not wrong. I spend about a week camping in and around there at the start of June. Well worth it.

30. - Top - End - #30

Hmmm...travelling alone. Keep your money and passport in one of those things you carry around your neck. But keep it under the shirt so you don't look like a tourist. Don't accept drinks from anyone, they're after your kidney. But above all, avoid the Paris metro after dark. Avoid it like the plauge.

If you want to visit the Eiffel tower, keep in mind that it takes all day just to get up and down again. The lines are so long. Don't try to walk the first two stages, your legs will cramp up. But the view is worth it!

I only had one day in Paris, but "La Defence" was quite impressive. That and the Eiffel tower was all I had time for. The Metro is one of the great mysteries of the modern age. The lines go like a pile of spagetti. There is no timetable, the trains just...run.

Or you can just come and visit wonderful Copenhagen. The riots are almost over now.
    Last edited by Miklus; 2007-07-26 at 02:00 PM.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.