New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Broken spells?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Broken spells?

I was digging through Races of the Dragon today, and two spells caught my attention: Wings of Cover, and Wings of Flurry. Wings of Cover is a sorcerer only spell that is basically Epic Dodge as an immediate action as long as you have 2nd level spell slots, while Wings of Flurry is a 4th level burst that deals 1d6/level damage, reflex half. The scary part about it is that characters who fail the reflex save against it are dazed for 1 round, and it meets the prerequisites for spellwarping via the Spellwarp Sniper. So if it is warped into a ray, it'll auto-daze an opponent, besides dealing a pile of damage.

Are these broken or what?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Broken spells?

Wings of Cover allows the enemy to redirect his attack, I believe, and Wings of Flurry is very good for a damage spell, but I would not consider it overpowered.

As for the Spellwarp Sniper, it removes the reflex save--which means that there is no opportunity to take half damage, but it also means that there is no opportunity to fail it and therefore be dazed. I would rule (and I think this is supported by the text) that the Wings of Flurry do not daze when Spellwarped into a ray.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Broken spells?

Not bad, but really not that broken at all as far as spells are concerned. There are far, far worse.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.