Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 34 123456789101126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 992
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017

    Default IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    You all have made your way to the small town of K'lyspel - the last stop before Green Mountain Pass.

    Some of you have heard of excellent trade on the other side in the northern lands. You are hoping to find some people who are headed north to travel with as the pass can be quite dangerous.

    Some of you are hear in K'lyspel for that potential danger and are hoping to investigate and eventually stop it.

    You find yourself needing to spend the night here before accomplishing your goals and come across the only inn in town. It's called "Dame's" named after the woman who runs it. The people there are nice enough though they easily recognize you as outsiders.

    In the corner, there is a table of older citizens playing the dice game Gods Willing with coppers. Behind the bar, there is a somewhat daunting bottle of purple liquor that is famous in these parts for knocking your socks off. By the fire, there's a man wearing all furs sleeping with a pipe still in his mouth.

    Spoiler: Gods Willing
    Show
    A betting game. Player's can put any amount of gold on a grid numbered 1 through 6. They then roll 3d6 one time.
    If 1 die match their bet number, they win 1X the original bet.
    If 2 dice match their bet number, they win 2X the original bet.
    If 3 dice match their bet number, they win 3X the original bet.
    If 0 die match their bet number, they lose the original bet.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    It's kind of dark.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    Nice as they seem, a wise half-orc knows better than to expect a warm welcome from strangers. This particular half-orc stops right inside the door to the small town's only inn and scans the crowd (if indeed it can be called such) as she approaches the bar and the lady behind it. Dark eyes pause briefly on the sleeping man by the fire, and on the group playing dice, but not for long. Though alert, the tall soldier none the less seems comparatively relaxed, and the nod she gives the woman behind the bar is polite and respectful. "I'd like a large meal and a room for the night, if you have them. If the room comes with a tub of hot water, that'd be even better."

    Though definitely a half-orc, her speech lacks the harsh accents so common among her kind, and the big fighter's demeanor has none of the belligerence one might expect. "If the tub isn't available a pail of hot water will do."

    While she talks, Oona counts out a small pile of coins and pushes it across the counter. Room, bath, and meal now paid for, she straightens up, turns to scan the room again, and selects a seat against the wall opposite from the fireplace. She leans her shield against the wall by her chair and sits back, settling comfortably at an angle that lets her watch both door and bar, and observe what goes on in the room. She hands a couple of copper coins over to the serving girl who delivers a large heaping of stew and a thick slice of bread, politely requests a mug of ale to go with the meal, and then turns her attention towards the food. It's been far too long since she had an opportunity to sit down and eat in peace, and she intends to enjoy every moment.
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

    The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

    In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

    My Player Registry Entry

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    The meal is better than Oona expected though still not anything to write home about. As she sits, alert to the happenings of Dame's and looking forward to her impending bath, she notices a young man with an unusually large nose peer in one of the windows anxiously. Other patrons notice as well and pay him no mind, returning to their business. After a few seconds, seemingly unable to find a person he was looking for, he disappears from view.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    AssaultMage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Desertum Californica
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    Squinting in puzzlement at an odd, large-nosed young man, Aureus strides up the path towards the town's only inn. Footsore and a bit tired from the day's walk, he decides to make a note of the lad and take action if he appears later, rather than follow him. Nothing irregular in his senses anyway. His armor rasps and clanks as he reaches the door and pulls off his helmet. He resolves that tomorrow morning shall be devoted to preventative maintenance. Tucking the helm under one arm, he attempts to scrape some of the caked dirt off of his armored boots before entering "Dame's," as the clapboard sign reads.

    He habitually scans the room as he enters, marking each face and expression, trying to get a feel for the patrons and the atmosphere. Nothing really out of the ordinary, he thinks. Just the usual types one finds at out of the way inns and backwater taverns: farmers, old townies, and odd (but harmless) characters. One figure in particular draws his attention: a half-orcish woman, powerfully built and well equipped sits at a bar. Aureus can't quite put his finger on where he might have seen her before, but he knows he's met her in the past. Ruminating on this, he walks to the bar and sits down on one of the spare stools, inwardly welcoming the sensation of finally being off of his feet.

    "An ale, if you please, good innkeep," he asks of the woman behind the bar, probably-- he assumes-- the Dame after whom the inn is named. "Whatever you have that is darkest in flavor." He twitches his tabard straight over his mail and sets his helmet down carefully on the bar, out of the way of traffic and within arm's reach. As an afterthought, he mentions, "Also, provided you have room available, I shall be staying until the morrow." He withdraws his coinpurse from the reinforced leather pouch on his sword belt in preparation to pay, an eye on the half-orc as he tries to work out her identity.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    Theren was glad he'd finally found some civilization, if only this small village. He stables his mule, and enters the only in to what seemed to be the only in the village. Inside, Theren immediately walks to the bar. "Greetings. I'd like a cup of wine, and something warm to eat. Whatever you have is good. And if you happen to have a room available, I would very much like to rent one"

    After getting his order, Theren sits down to dice with the old folk for a while. Theren liked dice games, though not necessarily just for the monetary gain. He just liked to feel what the fate and the gods had in store for him. He makes some small talk with other patrons, but stays mostly quiet.

    As he's dicing and eating, Theren takes a better look around the inn. Seemed to be surprising amount of outsiders in tonight, for such a small village. Even a half-orc, though luckily she seemed peaceful.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Okay, Theren will bet on number four. The old folk were playing for copper pieces, so Theren will bet 5.

    Dice: (3d6)[3][5][2](10)


    Theren watched the dice. 2,3 and 5, so his own number was jumped over. Perhaps he should be extra careful tonight.
    Last edited by Majin; 2017-06-13 at 03:03 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    Oona notices the other two people come into Dame's and it isn't hard for her to tell that the people here give them both a slightly less standoffish greeting and service.

    Aureus is able to procure a room for the night. Dame pours a brown ale for him. "First drink free for knights of Helm" she says simply, nodding to the symbol of The Watcher on his armor. "Always appreciate some protection in these parts."

    Theren tastes his wine. It certainly seems different than normal. Sweeter. Then he realizes it's probably made with those wild berries this area is known for. Strange humans... He also gets a bowl of stew with a large slice of bread. The older folk make pleasant conversation but also discuss some of the dangers in the pass: monsters, orcs, volcanic activity. They mention how relieved they are that more people are soon coming to protect the pass.

    As the adventurers sit in Dame's, the young man Oona and Aureus saw before returns to the window. This time, when he sees the knight protector, he looks excited and hurriedly walks into the inn. This time, he has a small girl with him. They walk straight up to the knight.

    "We heard you were coming! We need your help!" he blusters at a socially unacceptable volume. The girl nudges him in his side. "I'm... I'm sorry. It's just that you're the only one who can help."
    Last edited by ThurlRavenscrof; 2017-06-14 at 09:52 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    It's kind of dark.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    Still keeping to herself in her corner, the half-orc continues to eat. She notices but pays no heed to the warmer greetings given to the humans who enter, as well as the occasional glance sent her way by the knight who just arrived. She doesn't bother glancing at him in return, and certainly makes no attempt to make eye contact. She is used to being stared at.

    Oona takes a long sip of her ale, notices the pleasant flavor, and decides that it is well worth quietly watching him the knights out of the corner of her eye. After all, knights sometimes get stupid when they drink, and forget why they should avoid picking fights with half-orcs in the middle of crowded taverns.

    And then the Dame behind the bar addresses the knight as a knight of Helm, and that gets Oona's attention. Certain types of memories tend to linger. She turns to watch the knight now, her brown eyes narrowing for a moment as she studies him, but she stays in her seat. It is often equally stupid for half-orc to approach knights in crowded taverns after all.

    The big-nosed young man and the girl, while clearly distraught, earn a brief glance, and are then swiftly ignored. For one, they don't look like they have money. For another, the ale is surprisingly good here.

    Besides, there is a knight of Helm on the premises. As Oona recalls, they are not the type who need help dealing with youngsters and children.
    Last edited by scalyfreak; 2017-06-18 at 12:06 AM.
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

    The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

    In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

    My Player Registry Entry

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    Mark is standing at the back of Dame's sipping his drink and thumbing the knife on his belt. He's had to travel a lot since he split off from his family but maybe he can find a mark with enough coin to keep him in room for a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

    Oh well, it should still be fun.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    Theren lifts his eyes from the dice to look at the girl and the boy with a rather prominent nose. They seemed to be searching for help. Well, it seemed like the gods had provided them with a knight of Helm. A brief smile touches his lips.

    "Does anyone happen to know who those two are? And why would they need help from a paladin?" Theren asks from the folks he's dicing with.
    Last edited by Majin; 2017-06-14 at 02:59 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    AssaultMage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Desertum Californica
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    Aureus thanks Dame for her offered free drink, but still places down the coin necessary to cover both his ale and the room for the night. "I assure you, madam, your kindness is welcomed, but I cannot in good faith accept." He smiles brightly and pushes the coins across the counter to her, noting absent-mindedly the familiar half-orc woman is now eyeing him from her place at the bar.

    "We Goldsun Watchers merely serve where Helm directs." He sips from the drink, finding it flavorful and refreshing after such a long walk. He closes his eyes and sighs quietly and contentedly. The little things in life are the best things, he thinks. Then again, he laughs to himself, it could just be the journey talking.

    Opening his eyes, he sees the large-nosed young man he remembered from the path to the inn, standing directly in front of him. He has a girl in tow, this time and is spouting out what sounds like a rehearsed speech asking for help.

    Smiling at the pair, Aureus places a gauntleted hand on the young man's shoulder in a fatherly manner. "Slow down, good man. I have plenty of time to hear the full extent of your plight. I will be happy to lend Helm's protection to you." Provided the cause is worthy, he adds to himself mentally, hoping that for once, it might not be local peasants jumping at their own shadows.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    One of the older women leans in to talk quietly to Theren. "I've never seen them before... but look at their clothes. They dress like they're from the Pass." The man beside her hushes here so the table can eavesdrop easier.

    The young man catches his breath - seemingly relieved at the knights patient demeanor. "In the Pass, there are these sort of caves - these holes in the ground. Steam pours out of them like smoke. It's true! You've all seen it." He looks around to gather support from the bar. Several of the older folk nod knowledgeably.

    "Well this mon-" He looks down at the girl, hesitates, then covers her ears with his palms "this monster came climbing out of the one by our house! Big fangs it had - matted fur and a tail like a snake! And them, them black eyes. There's no mercy in them eyes." He shutters. "Dragged my Pa away. I went after him but...
    well I heard a lot of scuffling... there was more than one I know it!"
    He exhales and looks down at the floor. He seems embarrassed to admit his fear to this new armored man but then presses on.

    "We have money I swear! I swear by Helm!" He jangles a large number of coins in a surprisingly nice leather bag, releasing the girl's ears in the process. "Just please. Please help him..."

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    It's kind of dark.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God


    As young man recounts his tale of great misfortune, the half-orc by the bar makes a point of focusing on her meal. She eats her food and drinks her ale, and doesn't even acknowledge the two young humans seeking help. As she eats, she does glance over at the paladin once more as he offers the young man and girl help, and shakes her head slightly.

    Not even the jangling of coins can distract Oona from her first proper meal in over a week.

    She does, wisely, decide to be patient and wait until the two unfortunate travelers have finished their conversation with the only one who can help them, before asking for more ale.
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

    The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

    In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

    My Player Registry Entry

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    AssaultMage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Desertum Californica
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    Aureus smiles his best "professional knight-protector providing reassurance" smile and presses the bag of coin back to the lad's chest, away from him. "Rest assured, young man, all donations to the Watchers will be accepted only after the agreed-upon task has been completed." He pauses, takes a quick sip of his ale to moisten his palate, and continues. "Now, let us hear some more about these 'holes' and this beast of yours. You said it has a tail like a snake. How many heads does it possess? How big was it compared to a cow?"

    Aureus withdraws a blank, vellum chapbook and a magically-imbued quill from another of his swordbelt's pouches and stands poised to take notes.
    He also make sure to take in the boy and girl in full, studying their faces, clothes, and demeanor for anything out of the ordinary.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Aureus makes an insight check to determine if the young man is hiding anything. [roll]1d20+3[/roll]
    Last edited by AssaultMage; 2017-06-15 at 04:50 PM.
    OOC/IC Aureus Amberfield, Paladin

    Avatar: Decius Blackshore, by me.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    Aureus is a professional. He is accustomed to dealing with strangers. Accustomed to interviewing people about dangers they've encountered. This boy is different.

    He doesn't seem traumatized. He's making a show of being traumatized, sure. But he doesn't have that quiet "deadness" behind his eyes like so many others do who has endured horrors - a look Aureus has seen in many eyes - a look Aureus has seen in the mirror.

    This boy and the girl seemed almost... pleased with themselves? Like a cat about to pounce on easy prey.

    "Huge for sure!" The boy replied "The size of you I'd say... and it only had one head - least ways that's all I saw. But it had teeth enough for two heads. Come up right out of the ground with the steam. I figure there's a cave back in there with all matter of dangers." The girl nodded solemnly is support.

    "Please sir, we can go at first light. I'll show you the way."

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    He looks around the inn, his money bag still hanging limply in his hand. His eyes alight one by one on each of the travelers. He turns back to the knight.

    "You won't even have to fight alone! This place is filled with strong fighters! They'll help you!
    Won't you? You'll come and help, won't you?"

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    Val'eryn

    It'd been a long night for the traveling elf, but she was more bored than tired. Finding herself entering Dame's, she did a quick scan of the common room looking for anything to do and smiled as she saw the table playing Gods Willing. It wasn't a game she played much, but it was an easy way to make some coin...or, if she were to lose, it'd be easy to distract the drunken humans and simply pilfer the profits for herself.

    Moving over to the table, she pulls back her hood, revealing her face and pointed ears, and speaking "Hello," she says, a flirtatious look in her eye, "I was wondering if I could join your game...but I'm afraid I haven't any coin on me...could we maybe work out something else I could wager?" The question is innocent enough, and her tone only reinforces it, but the more perceptive might realize that she's only playing at being coy.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Too much fun to be had at the card game, and she missed everything that happened from before she walked in, so someone else will have to notice her and say hi!
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    It's kind of dark.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God


    With a sound halfway between a sigh and a grunt, the half-orc fighter-looking woman turns to look critically at the young man. She still holds the mug of ale in her hand, tapping it lightly against the open palm of her

    "Those of us who aren't paladins want to know how much you can pay." She glances meaningfully at the coin purse the young man is holding. "What does your father do, that left you with so much money?"


    Spoiler
    Show
    Insight roll to see if Oona picks up on any of the things Aureus noticed:(1d20+1)[18]
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

    The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

    In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

    My Player Registry Entry

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    AssaultMage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Desertum Californica
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    Aureus narrows his eyes as he starts to pick up on the two young people's demeanor. Why would they be so calm, so collected? Especially if what they said about their father and his untimely disappearance was true. This false front gives him pause, and he makes a small note in his chapbook to be cautious if he proceeds further. This would not be the first time that a group of peasants seeking to resell his expensive equipment for a few quick coins had lured him into an ambush. With a barely audible sigh, he believes that it will not be the last.

    And certainly, if they mean him harm, they will mean harm to anyone else in the village. His duty to his god and the price in coin binds him to investigating their devious plot, if nothing else. He resolves to prepare his oaths and spells tonight, so that he is not caught flat-footed on the morrow.

    Closing and putting away the book, he again looks the big-nosed fellow straight in the eyes. "Though I am certain that there are many souls who'd care to make some money from this investigation, I must also wonder, as the half-orc maiden there asks, how you will compensate such a large party." He pauses, shakes his head and adds, "No, on the the morrow, we shall go to the place you mention and I shall begin my investigation."

    There was no sense endangering anyone else any further, should this be a trap, he resolved. He would go alone, and Helm would protect.
    OOC/IC Aureus Amberfield, Paladin

    Avatar: Decius Blackshore, by me.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    The older folk at the table are shocked. With Theren there, this is the most likely the most elf blood there has been at this table. The sun elf notices them looking back and forth between her and the half elf sitting across. The two of them are quite a contrast - one vibrant, lively, with a reddish-gold hue - one quiet, deathly pale, with a bluish hue.

    An older man, who seems to run the game, collects himself. "Uh yes, yes. Let's just say you'll owe me." He smiles charmingly "Have a seat! Let's try your luck."

    Spoiler: Gods Willing
    Show
    Go ahead and play a couple rounds. You only have time for a few before the young man comes into the inn

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    The young man answers Oona. Quickly explaining how the volcanic activity leaves behind a mineral in the dirt. He doesn't know much about it but he says that magic users need that mineral. He explains it easily to her without stuttering or a tone of judgement.

    If there are two things Oona has learned to recognize in rural-living human children, it's fear and racism. It's always the first thing she sees in their faces when they notice her.

    These two don't look at her in fear or disgust and that's impossible. Either they aren't rural-living, they aren't human, or they aren't children.

    One thing Oona is sure about them is that they're lying in some way.
    Last edited by ThurlRavenscrof; 2017-06-16 at 09:36 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    The young man turned back to the knight protector. "Good yes! I'll take you tomorrow." He leaned in a bit and lowered his voice. "You are strong but... Even the strongest can be outnumbered. Make sure your friends join you against this foe." He stood up straight again.
    "We'll see you at the stables tomorrow morning. Then we'll rescue our pa!" With that he walks out the door with the girl.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    "I must have something I can wager," she says with a smile, "So why don't I just wager it on...four." Without further ado she deftly snatches the dice from the table and blows on them for 'luck', putting on a show for the humans before rolling. Unfortunately, she wasn't as good at dice games as cards, but a little luck was all she needed to win...or failing that, just getting them to let their guard down with their 'winnings' before they left.

    Spoiler
    Show

    (3d6)[3][4][2](9)
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    Theren lifts an amused eyebrow at the flamboyant elf. These villagers sure were getting quite a show this evening. Quite a coincidence all these oddities were gathering here, of all places.

    "I suppose you should count yourself lucky, young lady. This means you won't be owing anyone any favors, though you do not gain anything either. If I were you, I would count this as a sign not to gamble away what you do not posses", Theren says to the elf and stands up. "Now, if you'll excuse me. I don't feel like the dice will be favorable to me this evening"

    Theren walks to the knight and the mercenarial half-orc. "Forgive me my interruption, but I couldn't help overhearing your discussion. Were the both of you going to help the children tomorrow?".

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    It's kind of dark.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God


    Oona watches the kids leave, glances over at Aureus and belatedly gives a polite nod in greeting. Courtesies taken care of she lifts her ale mug to take a sip, realizes it is empty, and turns her attention towards the Dame behind the bar and the possibility of refilling the mug with more ale. She more or less ignores Theren, aside from a glance in his general direction to note that he's there. Until he asks a questions, at which point she glances over at the half-elf, takes a moment to study his attire and appearance, before responding with a shrug.

    Having answered the question she taps her ale mug on the counter, and then sits back down to wait patiently for the mug to be filled. However, since she was close enough to overhear the recently orphaned children and their conversation with Aureus, she's very likely hearing everything Theren is saying and any replies the paladin gives him as well. She's just choosing to focus on obtaining more ale for now.
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

    The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

    In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

    My Player Registry Entry

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    AssaultMage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Desertum Californica
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    Scoffing at the almost blatant bating of the trap, Aureus shakes his head as the children leave. A figure gets up from the gambling table as the door closes behind them and walks towards his end of the inn.

    With raised eyebrows and a concerned expression, Aureus studies the sickly-colored half-elf as he approaches. He seems thin, almost too thin, and there's something a bit... disconcerting about him that the paladin senses. He can't quite put his finger on it, but there seems to be a bit of the otherworldly about him. Nevertheless, personal code dictates a polite and dignified response, regardless of strange feelings and the look of illness about him. As he sizes the fellow up, he catches the woman-at-arms' nod towards him and starts to remember where he might have seen the half-orc before. It was years, ago, granted, but he hardly could forget a face. It couldn't be though, could it? He'd have to approach her later, after she was finished with a few more drinks. How remarkable!

    "I cannot speak for the lady, good man, but I am a Knight-Protector of the Goldsun Watchers, and am duty- and oathbound to assist where I can."
    The paladin cannot help but let a little bit of pride slip into his voice when he mentions his order and title, and even as he realizes what he has done, he feels slightly ashamed of it. He decides against revealing his misgivings regarding the young man and the little girl, best not to raise suspicions and cause harm to further innocents. "However, if it is not too rude of me, why might you be asking? What concern would it be to you? Have you business beyond or in the pass?" Perhaps the half-elf is an adventurer, eager to make a few coins.

    He takes another sip from his ale, realizing with some alarm that it is starting to grow warmer. After another, longer pull, he gazes at the half-elf expectantly.
    OOC/IC Aureus Amberfield, Paladin

    Avatar: Decius Blackshore, by me.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    "Of course. The minerals the boy described sound very interesting, as I am both a merchant", Theren says and opens his palm. He creates an image of a small raven standing on it. He quickly closes his hand and dismisses the illusion. No reason to draw any more attention from the villagers than necessary. "... and a mage. Besides all that, I have to say the pattern here seems very interesting, and I would very much like to see how this plays out".

    "I did intend to leave the village tomorrow and head to a larger city anyway. Though I am not in a hurry to get to anywhere, as I managed to sell all of my stock before arriving here, so this excursion would fit my schedule perfectly. If you'll have me, I believe I could be of some use. Theren Siannodel, at your service", Theren says and gives a small bow.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    AssaultMage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Desertum Californica
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    Looking the half-elf up and down once more, Aureus shrugs his shoulders, armor plates rasping together. "I can only recommend against pursuing your curiosity, as you may not be safe." He pauses for a moment, looking straight in the pale mage's eyes.
    "But at the end of the day, that choice is yours and yours alone to make. Rest assured that if you do choose to accompany me, Helm's protection shall extend to you as well."

    It couldn't hurt to have a spellcaster's assistance, either, Aureus thinks. Especially one who'd help out both willingly, and without direct compensation by the order. He smiles professionally at the half-elf and returns the bow with a respectful nod.
    Last edited by AssaultMage; 2017-06-18 at 10:13 AM.
    OOC/IC Aureus Amberfield, Paladin

    Avatar: Decius Blackshore, by me.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    It's kind of dark.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God


    After finally receiving a refill of ale (and paying for it), Oona takes a long sip from the mug, and smiles to herself. Though delivered slowly and probably costing her more than it does anyone else in the establishment, once the ale is in front of her, the half-orc thoroughly appreciates every sip.

    As she does, she turns on the chair so she's facing the paladin and the sickly pale elfish looking person, making it more obvious that she's listening to them. She waits for a pause in the conversation, then actually gets up from her chair and walks over to join in the talk, starting with introducing herself to Theren.

    "Oona Wendel." She gives Theren the same polite nod she's been using as a greeting with everyone so far, then turns her full attention towards Aureus. "Did you ever travel the trade routes around the Pine Hill Outpost, a few hundred miles east from here? Lots of long dusty roads across rolling plains, with narrow bridges that are almost perfect for ambushing caravans..." Her voice trails off, eyebrows raised expectantly.
    Last edited by scalyfreak; 2017-06-18 at 02:22 PM.
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

    The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

    In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

    My Player Registry Entry

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    AssaultMage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Desertum Californica
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    His eyes widen in sudden recollection. Of course! That guard whose arm he'd healed! "Yes, as a matter of fact! That was my old patrol route when I was first starting with the Order!" He pauses, blinks, then grins widely. "And you, did you ever slay a host of bandits, with not an ally to your name?"
    By Helm, this was the half-orc he'd sworn to keep an eye out for! It had to be! What an addition to the order she'd make, and what a suitable temper for it too. He steadies himself mentally, reminding himself that a lot can change in several years. He'd grown and changed from his days as a callow apprentice to the staunch Knight-Protector he was now... There was to be no surety that a kind-hearted and devoted soldier, willing to lay down her life for a caravan of strangers, might not have had a change of heart in the intervening years.

    Aureus signals for Dame, and asks for another brown ale. "And buy the young half-orc another, on my coin, if you will!"

    As he waits for Oona to answer his question, he turns to the half-elf. "Ser Siannodel, have your businesses ever brought you to the Outpost? It's near Bluevale." He shakes his head in disbelief, then gestures to Oona. "This upstanding lady here is a bit of a local legend around those parts."
    OOC/IC Aureus Amberfield, Paladin

    Avatar: Decius Blackshore, by me.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: IC Adventurers in the Hands of an Angry God

    As the young half-elf she'd been gambling with gets up to go speak to the paladin, Val'eryn gets a curious look in her eye. There didn't seem to be much coin to take for herself at the table at the moment, and perhaps she could fix that by enticing more players to join over the course of the night, but the children's plea, and more importantly their offer of payment, had made her ears perk up as well.

    With a casual grin, she gets up from the table, promising to return if they're still playing, and happy to work out something she could wager in lieu of coin when she does, and follows Theren over to the paladin. "I think I'll join you as well," she says while jumping uninvited into the conversation. "I'm curious about this creature they think they saw, and the coin offered. I trust that won't be a problem?" Unlike Oona and Theren, however, she neglects to give her name.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •