New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Villainous Competition XX​I: Yarr!

Holy crap, I was not expecting first place! Thank you to the judges and to Thurbane for hosting/chairing the competition. (Thurbane, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with as a competitor.)

...You know, it would be kind of amusing to immediately follow up a Pirates round with a Ninjas round.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Impossible unless we take a narutoesk definition of Ninja (ergo sorcerer-likes calling themselves ninjas, often but not always, s Gishes^^).
    Sadly the class sucks badly enough that I've never even played one.... :(
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Korahir View Post
    Silver once again, seems like gold isn't for me :P. Congrats to everyone.
    It took me four tries to get the gold. I'm confident you'll get it soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Villainous Competition XX​I: Yarr!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiri View Post
    Are we still going with whatever you decided for next round, Thurbane, or is that up to Inevitability now?

I mean, I would normally assume it was up to the new Chariman, but since you said you had the theme locked in...
    Yep, I've left it in his capable hands, so it will be his call.

Quote Originally Posted by Aka-chan View Post
    Holy crap, I was not expecting first place! Thank you to the judges and to Thurbane for hosting/chairing the competition. (Thurbane, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with as a competitor.)
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aka-chan View Post
    ...You know, it would be kind of amusing to immediately follow up a Pirates round with a Ninjas round.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Impossible unless we take a narutoesk definition of Ninja (ergo sorcerer-likes calling themselves ninjas, often but not always, s Gishes^^).
    Sadly the class sucks badly enough that I've never even played one.... :(
    Yes, may require a bit of clarification on what makes a Ninja: there's the historical ninja, anime ninja, D&D ninja and a multitude of others.

...but I definitely think a Ninja round would be interesting!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! As has been said, I'll be your new chair.

With regards to the next round, I was considering the aforementioned multiheaded idea. A ninja round sounds fun as well, though I agree that some general restrictions on what's still a 'ninja' should be written up.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post

With regards to the next round, I was considering the aforementioned multiheaded idea. A ninja round sounds fun as well, though I agree that some general restrictions on what's still a 'ninja' should be written up.
    On one hand I really like the multiheaded idea, on the other hand I feel like it might be limited in terms of what you can make where the multiheaded aspect is important as opposed to just something extraneous to the build stuck on so it fits the requirement.

I could be totally wrong though, I might just be tunnel visioning cause I already know what I'll do for a multiheaded entry.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post

I was pushing for multiheaded to be the next one specifically. It's the 22nd, after all. Two 2s.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    It took me four tries to get the gold. I'm confident you'll get it soon!
    Not sure about VC but with Iron Chef together I am way beyond four submissions ;). Most of the time it is my own fault: laziness in the write up leads to not fleshing out the entry enough but that's the beatuiful thing about these silly internet contests: they motivate me to do better but I don't feel down when I created something awful and I think everyone who participated 10+ times already made the experience of reading judging, looking at the own entry and the nrealize: yeah, that's a screwup, that's totally dysfunctinoal.

I would be fine with either theme. I would base the Ninja theme on both he historic ninja (as little as we know about it) and the fictional ninja (From Naruto, to American Ninja Warrior to Batman Begins). Astoundingly the german wiki has a more detailed list of skills a historic ninja had to learn than the english one. Here it is translated:
    • Taijutsu, Hichō-jutsu, Nawa-nage (body control, control over attacks, throwing ropes)
    • Karate Koppō Taijutsu, Jūtaijutsu (unarmed techniques, throwing techniques)
    • Sō-jutsu, Naginata-jutsu (spear and japanese hellebarde)
    • Bō-jutsu, Jō-jutsu, Hanbō-jutsu (Staff and stick techniques)
    • Senban-nage, Ken-nage-jutsu, Shuriken (throwing weapons)
    • Ka-jutsu, Sui-jutsu (Using fire and water)
    • Chikujō Gunryaku Hyōhō (fortress building and strategy)
    • Onshin-jutsu (hide and camouflage)

Based on that list and the wishes for more restrictions, here are some suggestions regarding restrictions for the ninja theme:
    • must have either maxed skill ranks or 15+ ranks or 20+ total modifier in one of the following: hide+move silently, disguise, disable device, craft (poison), craft (traps), .
    • must be proficient with a ninja weapon [Complete Adventurer]
    • must be of chaotic alignment

9. - Top - End - #279
    Banned

I'm not terribly enthused for Multiheaded, but like Ooze, I think it's one of those things we should just get out of the way so people won't be suggesting it forever. Besides, it has some potential and round Twenty-Two is a good time for such a theme.

Ninja, in my opinion, should wait a while, as we just had a more 'occupational' round in the form of Pirate.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, do ninjas have to be chaotic? Shadow Sun Ninja builds are usually LG.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #281

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Wait, do ninjas have to be chaotic? Shadow Sun Ninja builds are usually LG.
    Just a suggestion on my part since more restrictions were wished for. I think Ninjas tend to be chaotic in nature although one could claim that the historic ones simply did what their ruler asked of them.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Banned

Multiheaded is also better if we want more restrictions; at least one absolute condition immediately presents itself, as opposed to ninja, which as a concept is quite broad and fits better in a less-restricted round.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Good round everyone! Glad someone liked my comedy build. A big thank you to Thurbane for your service as our Chair. I look forward to seeing your contributions as a competitor. Welcome to our new chair, here's to a good next round, whatever it is (clearly it should be multiheaded ninjas).
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2017-07-21 at 11:39 AM.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Good round everyone! Glad someone liked my comedy build. A big thank you to Thurbane for your service as our Chair. I look forward to seeing your contributions as a competitor. Welcome to our new chair, here's to a good next round, whatever it is (clearly it should be multiheaded ninjas).
    Multiheaded Hivemind Ninjas. FTFY.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tiri View Post
    Multiheaded is also better if we want more restrictions; at least one absolute condition immediately presents itself, as opposed to ninja, which as a concept is quite broad and fits better in a less-restricted round.
    I vote ninja.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, both multiheaded and Ninja would fit the enxt comp well for meta reasons.

IF we go any of the two however I do agree we need much more focussed restrictions/themes necessary, or we will have rounds where the theme is merely "tagged on" (for example just slapping the multiheaded template on a strong build).

For the 23rd round however I would still like to suggest something else.

Given the number a theme of "Conspirator Villain" would suggest itself, while I myself still want a "nonevil Villain" round (ergo clear antagonistst that (barely?) avoid being really Evil, while undoubtedly being evil) or something along those lines.

Or, for mechanically themed rounds ho about a round that demands the following: between 5 and 10 Monster HD, no more than 2 different Player classes added, thematically whole? Lets call it "Themed Monster"?
    Clear restrictions while still allowing a wide variety of concepts and builds.

Just my 23 cents. ^^
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Or, for mechanically themed rounds ho about a round that demands the following: between 5 and 10 Monster HD, no more than 2 different Player classes added, thematically whole? Lets call it "Themed Monster"?
    To which I totally wouldn't post another Illithid >.>.

OH! Tiri, did you spot that I made my first appearance before the reveal?

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I was pushing for multiheaded to be the next one specifically. It's the 22nd, after all. Two 2s.
    That was my school of thought, but I'm OK with whatever Inevitability chooses.

With this comp in general, I kind of get the feeling there are (in very rough terms) two types of comps that individuals prefer:

1. Where the most likely entry is a straight 20 level character with no RHD. More or less a BBEG Iron Chef.

2. One where the "monster" aspect of the entry is more important (or at least as important) as the class levels.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yklikt View Post
    Fine! You all want me to be a troll i can do that
    I hate to break it to you, but it doesn't work if you tell people beforehand.

20. - Top - End - #290

Quote Originally Posted by Yklikt View Post
    IF I HAVE a knife YOU DIE!
    Just asaving this for the mods, in case you delete it.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Novolin View Post
    so sad, you all bullied him untill this happen
    Is there some kind of unified we-hate-the-VC thing now?
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2017-07-22 at 01:44 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

22. - Top - End - #292
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Radiant: Everyone please note that calling someone a troll, or any other insult, is Flaming and against the Forum Rules. If you suspect someone of being a troll, or of having multiple accounts, please report it - especially if you have evidence - but do not post it. If the evidence is in a PM you received, please report the PM.

Thread locked for review and scrubbing. Feel free to start a new one for the next round, though.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2017-07-22 at 03:23 AM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)