New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2439404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1513
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish ShIVe: Damn It, Dan, Stop Teasing Us!

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    I am thinking Camdin, since he planned to do his own snooping about.

Plus one of the marks was a cloud, which could be a smoke cloud.
    They're also acting very Camdin-y.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    They're also acting very Camdin-y.
    I would not have suspected Camdin originally, but the notes Dan put under the post introducing 'Smoke' were to Camdin.
    And, yeah, at the moment they are acting Camdin-y.

I wonder what his reaction to (what i reckon will be) Grace trying to scare him will be.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I suspect Smoke is Pandora returned. Any reasons I'm wrong on that one?
    Smoke's appearance was linked to Cadmin's introductory strip, inwhich he appears in a puff of smoke.

smoke is blatantly Cadmin.

Dan's setting up a "Oh noes, who could have predicted.,. Oh, literally everyone" joke for the commentary later.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Oh, so is this guy a wizard or a seer who was hoping to learn how Grace's magic worked? Or is it just that obvious that Urynom shapeshifting works differently to human magic, even to novices who don't know much about either?

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by RowenMorland View Post
    Oh, so is this guy a wizard or a seer who was hoping to learn how Grace's magic worked? Or is it just that obvious that Urynom shapeshifting works differently to human magic, even to novices who don't know much about either?
    He could be someone with multiple magic spells (we know Luke has meet someone like that didn't get their magic from a mark before he was introduced). He is almost certainly not a seer though. If he was a seer than Luke would know what using his powers on a seer would look like. Not to mention that, unless he knows what the purpose of being a seer is, he would have been present for discussing whether or not magic should reset its rules. He could still have a spell that works similar to Luke's though. Heck he could even be a non-seer wizard. Or it could be as you say and that Urynom magic looks different enough that you could tell, but his eyes did change as Grace was shapeshifting.

Granted this is assuming this guy is Luke's associate, but I find him not being Luke's associate less likely than him being a seer.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2019-02-20 at 05:01 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Troll in the Playground

Also remember that he thought Grace was Cheerledra so he may just be surprised that she transformed into someone else.

Still with the weird effects on his eyes in the first few panels I suspect a wizard or something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Troll in the Playground

And if he is a wizard, his interest in transformations is to learn new spells for himsel.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It could be a matter of uryom magic being noticeably different to a wizard, but my money is on preconceived notions here. He was certain Grace was Cheerleadra. And let's be honest, the theory is not without merit: Grace is a buxom, bubbly girl who works at the comic book shop that Cheerleadra first appeared at and radiates magic (or something near enough to it) like a sun on a sugar high.

Then she turns into Omega Squirrel and is unlike anything Camdin Smoke has ever seen. Unlike anything we've ever seen, either, really, outside of her and Vlad. If he has any ability to sense magic (probable if he was a wizard), he might also have a serious and overwhelming sense that something is wrong, here. It'd probably take an elf to see enough to get properly terrified enough to start rambling about fusing demigods together to create super demigods and them still not being up to this particular par, but a deep pit opening up in your stomach shouldn't be unexpected.

I don't know what he was expecting, though. If he knew comic books enough to on superheroes, he should have known Grace wouldn't be so careless as to use "her" Cheerleadra form so openly, and with that little instigation. You'd need to be Elliot to think that was a good idea.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2019-02-20 at 09:34 AM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    And if he is a wizard, his interest in transformations is to learn new spells for himsel.
    Yes. That's why he really wanted to see a transformation (free spell !), and why he can tell Grace's transformation isn't "normal" magic (no free spell ...). Chances are that if he had overheard people talking about shooting lightning bolts and fireballs, he'd have asked for a demonstration as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I don't know what he was expecting, though.
    He was expecting to learn a "werewolf sort of thing" spell by looking at Sam transform, and then was convincingly surprised when Grace offered to demonstrate instead, and then instead of learning a spell he learned there are types of magic he can't copy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    He was expecting to learn a "werewolf sort of thing" spell by looking at Sam transform, and then was convincingly surprised when Grace offered to demonstrate instead, and then instead of learning a spell he learned there are types of magic he can't copy.
    That is assuming he is a wizard and not marked or an awakened mage. We know Luke has an awakened caster among his circle (by Justin's logical breakdown of the situation), but not that said caster is a wizard, which is supposed to be a rarity.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

11. - Top - End - #1451

That guy is lucky for now, but sooner or later he will jump the wrong magic user and he will end up blown to pieces or turned into a zombie or a brain in a jar. Or a Nanase clone.

Or someone will simply shoot him.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

edit/note: I wrote Noah below but meant Luke

I like the idea that he is a wizard. That goes with what Noah knows and doesn't know, though I feel like I'd need to binge on what Noah knows and Pandora's comments on it and Justin's conclusions based on it to form a valid opinion.

I think him having at least 2 spells would easily explain the smoke-form he's using now and the (apparent) smoke-teleport he did back when he was introduced. I was thinking it was just that going into or out of smoke-form required that noise, but being 2 different spells seems a simpler conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    That guy is lucky for now, but sooner or later he will jump the wrong magic user and he will end up blown to pieces or turned into a zombie or a brain in a jar. Or a Nanase clone.

Or someone will simply shoot him.
    Depending on the details of smoke-form, he might be immune to a lot of damage types. Handy for annoying investigators!

(Dan's comments on smoke-form did imply that his crucial organs, such as the brain, might not be present in a tangible way. Nothing definite, 'because magic', but seems possible he's immune to physical damage.)
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2019-02-21 at 01:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1453

@^Luke, not Noah.

Noah is Raven's all-but-adopted sun who is also the child-left-behind and probably a Chimera.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #1454

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    his crucial organs, such as the brain, might not be present in a tangible way
    Given how he behaves, I guess it's not that surprising!

I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

On a completely different note, any good ideas for thd next thread titld? Aside from El Goonish ShiVe, obviously.

If the Master of Fire guy had made an apperance by now, I would suggest Uuroyms Strike Back, but that doesn't quite work here.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Troll in the Playground

On a completely different note, any good ideas for thd next thread titld? Aside from El Goonish ShiVe, obviously.

If the Master of Fire guy had made an apperance by now, I would suggest Uuroyms Strike Back, but that doesn't quite work here.
    Any day now... (bolding mine)
    While they will become relevant to the story for sure with all th background information and an Uuroym with a wand laughing madly, we have no idea, when it will happen, so I guess this one should be saved for later.

As for a different idea, has somethig along the lines of "of squirrel and men" been used before? It is kind of generic, but might work I guess?
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

17. - Top - End - #1457

I think that it would be cool to signal that a major arc is over (Magus got his body back, Pandora was forced to reset, Magic did its thing, Susan and Diane and Raven discovered about each other, Voltaire managed to make his point to the other immortals, Ted isn't a hobbyist any more...)

El Goonish ShiVe: Magic. Magic Never Changes.

El Goonish ShiVe: Dramatically Appropriate

El Goonish ShiVe: Seers of the World Unite

El Goonish ShiVe: Quoth the Raven: "So she swore"

18. - Top - End - #1458

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    As for a different idea, has somethig along the lines of "of squirrel and men" been used before? It is kind of generic, but might work I guess?
    Grace is not the only female character in the comic.

By a long shot.

19. - Top - End - #1459

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Grace is not the only female character in the comic.

By a long shot.
    I do believe that it's a reference to a tragic novel that many people in American school systems are forced to read and overanalyze in highschool lit classes.

Of Mice and Men.

I vote no simply because I'd rather not associate EGS with a story that ends with a man shooting his mentally disabled best friend in the back of the head becuase said friend accidentally killed a woman and the alternative is letting him be lynched.

It's far too tonally dissonant.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #1460

If we really want just a reference to the fact that one of the main characters turns into a squirrel (without unfortunate implications), it should be something like, "El Goonish ShiVe: Look, Squirrel!"

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    If we really want just a reference to the fact that one of the main characters turns into a squirrel (without unfortunate implications), it should be something like, "El Goonish ShiVe: Look, Squirrel!"
    Heh, makes me think of Pixar's UP.

Speaking of how about: El Goonish ShiVe: I just met you, and I love you
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Speaking of how about: El Goonish ShiVe: I just met you, and I love you
    The Doors had a song: "Hello, I love you, won't you tell me your name?"
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Well, as someone else observed, Camdin was apprently just a smoke screen.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Troll in the Playground

This disgusts me. Not the pun itself - the fact I didn't come up with it first. Well done!
    Last edited by Leewei; 2019-02-22 at 10:27 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Ha ha!

Though it is a good misdirect, I am somewhat unsatisfied with it since I doubt I would have thought smoke-guy was Camdin without reading Dan's comments (or, well, a forum thread discussing it.)

Interestingly, still doesn't mean Camdin isn't a wizard, too... though now I'm leaning towards him NOT being a wizard, but just having a smoke-form that makes a noise when you enter/exit it (as opposed to a smoke-form spell and a smoke-teleport spell). Also, wow was Luke right that Camdin's power is not sneaky.

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    This disgusts me. Not the pun itself - the fact I didn't come up with it first. Well done!
    To be fair, I stole it, and thus share your disgust.

I get that this could be Van, and maybe a hint that Noriko's in town. I would have preferred a complete blind introduction for her arrival personally.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Titan in the Playground

Dammit, it’s William from Code Lyoko!

To be fair, I stole it, and thus share your disgust.

I get that this could be Van, and maybe a hint that Noriko's in town. I would have preferred a complete blind introduction for her arrival personally.
    Van is a seer so he can’t learn other people’s spells.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Metaphysics question on what we know about what characters know:

Tedd (and seers) can see magic, but could Tedd see Uronym tech and Grace's 'magic'? Or could he see it but noted how it looked differently?
    I know he realized some distinctions between what works on Grace and what doesn't, but don't remember details/nuances.

Is this the first time we've been told in what way wizards can study the magic of another and learn spells? It's been mentioned that they can before, but have we been told of a 'magic sense' that wizards have? (I figured Raven's senses were from being half-elf, not from being a wizard.)

29. - Top - End - #1469

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Van is a seer so he can’t learn other people’s spells.
    Pandora saying that Tedd will be able to cast the spells he copies and Arthur casting a sleep spell without a wand suggest otherwise.

The Whale saying that Tedd "is not a spell-caster" is one data point vs two and that was a direct response to tedd asking if he'd get spells "of his own."

Though... I don't see how Smoke being a wizard leads to Van.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2019-02-22 at 12:27 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Pandora saying that Tedd will be able to cast the spells he copies and Arthur casting a sleep spell without a wand suggest otherwise.

The Whale saying that Tedd "is not a spell-caster" is one datapoint vs two and that was a direct response to tedd asking if he'd get spells "of his own."
    Not exactly. They can create conduits for spells, but they can't power the spell themselves. They need wands (or, in Arthur's case, a ring) to power the spells.

A seer can grab any spell they see, same as any wizard, but they need a wand or similar apparatus to actually cast it. The fact that they innately understand any spell they see on a deeper level than even the original caster just makes them even more dangerous.

So apparently I was half wrong. I was pretty sure Camdin wasn't a wizard, and that he was Smoke, therefore Smoke wasn't a wizard. In truth, Camdin wasn't a wizard, but Smoke was, therefore Smoke wasn't Camdin... Darn it all, I was kinda hoping for that cookie.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.