New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Pathfinder wolf shaman

Im going to be playing a wolf shaman. Their wild shape functions better for canine forms and worse for non canine forms. Can assorted peeps send me a list of canine monsters that are applicable targets?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Pathfinder wolf shaman

Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

What about Blink dogs and goblin dogs and the assorted magical wolfs and foxes?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mehs View Post
    What about Blink dogs and goblin dogs and the assorted magical wolfs and foxes?
    Goblin dogs are allowed, but for the rest - magical beasts are ineligible for wild shape.

I'm not sure there's much past the Dire Wolf that would make this a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

The wild shape functions as the beast shape line of spells, which do allow you to turn into a magical beast at 3 and up. There isn't much point, as the list of abilities you get is limited, but it should be possible i thought?
    Last edited by mehs; 2020-07-17 at 03:00 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

The wild shape functions as the beast shape line of spells, which do allow you to turn into a magical beast at 3 and up. There isn't much point, as the list of abilities you get is limited, but it should be possible i thought?
    Not quite - Wild Shape tells you what you can turn into (first only animals, then elementals and finally plants.) It tells you what spells to reference for the specific rules when taking these shapes, but the forms come first, and magical beasts are not on the list.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

That just seems wrong. Why the hell would it be that?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

2E and 3E druids also shift into regular animals only. At least the PF druid can shift into plants 4 levels earlier, huge animals 7 levels earlier, and elementals 10 levels earlier.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

9. - Top - End - #9

Here's the exact wording - form comes first, then the spell you reference for crunch, every time.

At 4th level, a druid gains the ability to turn herself into any small or Medium animal and back again once per day.Her options for new forms include all creatures with the animal type. This ability functions like the beast shape I spell, except as noted here.
    At 6th level, a druid can use wild shape to change into a Large or Tiny animal or a Small elemental. When taking the form of an animal, a druid’s wild shape now functions as beast shape II. When taking the form of an elemental, the druid’s wild shape functions as elemental body I.

At 8th level, a druid can use wild shape to change into a Huge or Diminutive animal, a Medium elemental, or a Small or Medium plant creature. When taking the form of animals, a druid’s wild shape now functions as beast shape III. When taking the form of an elemental, the druid’s wild shape now functions as elemental body II. When taking the form of a plant creature, the druid’s wild shape functions as plant shape I.

At 10th level, a druid can use wild shape to change into a Large elemental or a Large plant creature. When taking the form of an elemental, the druid’s wild shape now functions as elemental body III. When taking the form of a plant, the druid’s wild shape now functions as plant shape II.

At 12th level, a druid can use wild shape to change into a Huge elemental or a Huge plant creature. When taking the form of an elemental, the druid’s wild shape now functions as elemental body IV. When taking the form of a plant, the druid’s wild shape now functions as plant shape III.
    If it merely said "you can use Beast Shape III/IV as a spell-like ability" or something similar, then you would get the Magical Beast options. But it doesn't say that - it says "when taking the form of animals." No provision is given for MB forms.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

So druids
    have no access to polymorph buffs normally
    have no feats which expand the list
    have a more restricted list than the spells would normally provide
    cant use the vast majority of abilities provided by the spell, due to all targets being non magical.
    dont get access to beast shape 4 or magical beast shape
    Last edited by mehs; 2020-07-17 at 05:27 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

That is entirely correct.
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

So other than being able to shapeshift for longer durations, they are directly worst shapeshifters than wizards. If a wizard just gets a ring on continuation, they are better in pretty much every way

13. - Top - End - #13

So other than being able to shapeshift for longer durations, they are directly worst shapeshifters than wizards. If a wizard just gets a ring on continuation, they are better in pretty much every way
    Uh no - putting aside that most polymorph spells (including the whole beast shape line) don't actually work with that ring, this is nonsense. Wild Shape can't be dispelled, doesn't provoke or have components, lasts all day natively, you can cast spells while shapeshifted in every single form as early as level 5, and has gotten tons of item/feat/spell/archetype support over the years. Do arcane casters have more shapeshifting options, yes, but in practical terms Wild Shape is one of the most powerful non-spellcasting class features in the game.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Timber Wolf Pathfinder
    Winter Wolf Pathfinder
    Legendary Wolf (3.5)
    Abyssal Wolf Pathfinder
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"Just" get a ring of continuation? Have you seen how friggin' expensive those are? You realistically can't afford that before level 14.

Druid has more BAB, hit points, and saves than wizard; plus Natural Spell; plus a free flanking buddy. No, wizards aren't the best shapeshifters here (and there are more contenders than these two classes, anyway).

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Timber Wolf Pathfinder
    Winter Wolf Pathfinder
    Legendary Wolf (3.5)
    Abyssal Wolf Pathfinder
    Sadly:

No improvement over PF wolf
    Magical Beast
    Magical Beast
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Druids can combat better, but wizards have much, much more versatility. Name of the game as a whole might as well be 'whi has more versatility?'.
    Last edited by mehs; 2020-07-18 at 11:07 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Druids can combat better, but wizards have much, much more versatility. Name of the game as a whole might as well be 'whi has more versatility?'.
    And nothing beats Pun-Pun, so what's your point? Druids are still T1 in PF.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Right. This is why no sane player, throughout the history of both 3E and PF, has ever played any character other than a wizard.

...oh, wait

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Sadly:

Magical Beast
    Magical Beast
    Honestly I think if you are making a shaman, the DM should allow you to pick the feats for your specialized animal for all 9 SNA / CR ranges. Furthermore it makes sense to allow advancement options where you can add HD to the animals much like you could do in 3.5 with improving monsters.

Yes I know this is house rules, but that is just how I feel about it.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Furthermore it makes sense to allow advancement options where you can add HD to the animals much like you could do in 3.5 with improving monsters.
    Yes, the shamen explicitly get that ability.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Yes, the shamen explicitly get that ability.
    Maybe I am wrong, but if I recall you can add the Young Template (SNA -1), the advanced (SNA +1), the giant template (SNA +1), or both advanced plus giant (SNA +2.)

I am talking about adding 6 HD to the later SNA, or 3 HD to the earlier SNA.

23. - Top - End - #23

Honestly I think if you are making a shaman, the DM should allow you to pick the feats for your specialized animal for all 9 SNA / CR ranges. Furthermore it makes sense to allow advancement options where you can add HD to the animals much like you could do in 3.5 with improving monsters.

Yes I know this is house rules, but that is just how I feel about it.
    Wait, I'm confused - are you talking about wild shape, or SNA?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Wait, I'm confused - are you talking about wild shape, or SNA?
    Summon Nature Ally not Wild Shape.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

wolf shaman is a druid archetype. Polymorph in pathfinder also only really cares about the size, creature type, and special abilities of the creature in question, not the hd.