New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar And Other Oddities Questions Thread VII

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Is that so? I haven't seen a dragon there, or an ixitxachitl, or a kraken. Hell, I don't think I've even seen a giant there. You're not going to tell me that giants and dragons are unfamiliar or lack the magical capacity to travel the Planes.
    Interesting... how big are the portals into Sigil anyway? It could be a deterrent if most of them are human sized.

And yet you do. It's almost like there's some sort of set of planar principles that reinforce observer bias

The second principle is the Unity of Rings, and notes that many things on the planes are circular, coming back around to where they started.

The third principle is the Center of All, and states that there is a center of everything — or, rather, wherever a person happens to be is the center of the multiverse... from their own perspective, at least.
    I think in a previous thread you mentioned this before, with respect to planar travelers visiting the divine realms of their own gods. If there gods were represented in multiple faiths in different crystal spheres, when they arrived they would see or be shown the areas that corresponded to their particular faith. Or something like that.

Is there something similar going on for the rest of the planes too? By that I mean, there's only one spire... or is there? Is there more than one set of Gate Towns too? If I understand right, the Outlands are infinite, but you can walk from gate town to gate town in a number of days, while going beyond them gets all jumbled up in the hinterlands. Could there be another set of gate towns beyond the area the hinterlands try to keep people away from? Or some kind of magical dimensional overlay where people can't see or interact with each other even if they share the same space?

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    Heh I wasn’t really thinking about it in ‘everything is possible’ sense. More like... if I have two sets of planar travelers from the Prime... a finite set of humans, and an infinite set of (anything else that could possibly travel to Sigil in all of the Primes); then the finite set compared to the infinite is essentially indistinguishable from 0.
    Sure, but the assumption you're making is that the finite set possess characteristic A, therefore the infinite possess characteristic A. Even within the Arcane Inner Flow quadrant of local space, there are countless races that don't appear on the Planes particularly often, if at all, that we have observed.

That the nature of the planes themselves conspire to keep things focused (from my perspective) on me
    Technically it's the nature of you that does it, since the Planes are places of belief and belief is subjective.

I guess I still don’t grasp why every Prime inhabitant seen in such a natural planar hub like Sigil seems to just happen to come from the insignificant finite speck of the Prime called the Arcane Flow
    Well, again, they don't - you just tend to have observed ones that do because you're predisposed to have observed ones that do.
    What this means is that the NPCs you read about encountering in Sigil are called out as being from places you know, because those are places you know. There are plenty of Primes bopping around Sigil who come from the other quadrants of the Arcane Outer Flow region, or still further beyond.

(unless we presume that the Arcane Flow is in some way ‘more important’ than the rest of the infinite Prime in some real, objective sense)
    I mean, it arguably is, since the sphere widely believed to be the origin of non-aboleth life on the Prime (they may have originally cropped up in there as well) is at the center of the Trulian Ring at the heart of the Arcane Outer Flow region. Life has managed to spread pretty far since then, but it makes a pretty convincing case for significance in the face of infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
    If you jump off the edge, aren't you really just jumping into open air near the Spire of the Outlands? I had thought that it just meant you would fall off because no magical abilities work that close to the Spire, at least outside of Sigil.
    Nope; while Sigil is visible from the Outlands, the Outlands are not visible from Sigil. Or reachable from Sigil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Interesting... how big are the portals into Sigil anyway? It could be a deterrent if most of them are human sized.
    They vary, though most are likely humanoid-sized. The Lady wills her portals to exist and they do so according to her whims.

Is there something similar going on for the rest of the planes too? By that I mean, there's only one spire... or is there?
    There is.

Is there more than one set of Gate Towns too?
    In the manner you're asking, no, just the one. That's not to say by any stretch that they are the only "set" of portals to exist even on the Outlands. Going back to the Maztican example, Maztlan appears as a vast ziggurat whose staircases descend to "terraces" or "tenemos" which are aligned realms on the Outer Planes.

If I understand right, the Outlands are infinite, but you can walk from gate town to gate town in a number of days, while going beyond them gets all jumbled up in the hinterlands. Could there be another set of gate towns beyond the area the hinterlands try to keep people away from?
    Unlikely.

Or some kind of magical dimensional overlay where people can't see or interact with each other even if they share the same space?
    I mean, that kind of thing does exist in D&D, but the Outer Planes have little need for it - no matter how finite a landmark such as the Spire might seem, it's circumferentially infinite - I can walk "around" it and never ever reach my original location. It also obeys the weird laws of movement on that plane, such that I could also walk "around" it and get back to where I started without ever running into you, even if you were somewhere on the way.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground

Which plane (and, if applicable, layer) does that joke that ends "Tea-break's over, back on your heads!" fit in most closely with?

I'm guessing Minauros.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

I mean, it arguably is, since the sphere widely believed to be the origin of non-aboleth life on the Prime (they may have originally cropped up in there as well) is at the center of the Trulian Ring at the heart of the Arcane Outer Flow region. Life has managed to spread pretty far since then, but it makes a pretty convincing case for significance in the face of infinity.
    See that makes me feel better... and like I can remove a lot of ‘infinities’ from my mental math. Perhaps, because life had a single definable origin on the Prime, that most of the Prime is functionally uninhabited (albeit probably spread ‘nonlinearly’ by various Divine action and other Planar hijinks)

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Is the Prime even known to be infinite? I was under the impression that it was not.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

6. - Top - End - #396

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by gkathellar View Post
    Is the Prime even known to be infinite? I was under the impression that it was not.
    3.5 Manual of the Planes, Pg 41: “Infinite Size”

7. - Top - End - #397

Can one purchase chocolate in Sigil?

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Can one purchase chocolate in Sigil?
    I don't see why not.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

9. - Top - End - #399

MonkGirl

We’ve talked before on these threads that ‘high-tech/sci-fi’ places do exist out there in ththe Great Wheel; and explored why we expect them to be rare...

Given that, if I were a more standard ‘fantasy type person’ in the Planes looking to buy some high-tech gear, where would be the best places to go shopping (apart from a super-tech Prime world or alternate Cosmology)?
    Last edited by Naanomi; 2017-11-04 at 03:41 PM.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

how believable is the idea that the lady pain is the incarnation of the multiverse itself and thus acts as she does because it's to keep reality running the way it's supposed to? she's just an avatar of the entire multiverse's own will to survive etc.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ettin in the Playground

Someone dies and is forced to choose between two places (on the same planar layer) to remain for all eternity. The first is a relatively generic torture room; the second is a bunch of people standing knee-deep in something disgusting, drinking tea. The latter is chosen, and the entity that presented the options say "Alright, everyone! Tea break's over, back on your heads!"

Where does this most likely take place?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

12. - Top - End - #402

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Where does this most likely take place?
    Since ‘ironic and slightly humerous punishments’ doesn’t fit any established layer particularly... I’d guess it is either the Divine Realm or some power or another; or a Abyssal layer of a mercurial Demon Prince of some type
    Last edited by Naanomi; 2017-11-04 at 10:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

We’ve talked before on these threads that ‘high-tech/sci-fi’ places do exist out there in ththe Great Wheel; and explored why we expect them to be rare...

Given that, if I were a more standard ‘fantasy type person’ in the Planes looking to buy some high-tech gear, where would be the best places to go shopping (apart from a super-tech Prime world or alternate Cosmology)?
    I really don't know what you expect me to answer with. Fine, whatever... maybe a city inside the divine realm of a deity of such a super-tech Prime world. Is that an acceptable loophole?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyTheNeko View Post
    how believable is the idea that the lady pain is the incarnation of the multiverse itself and thus acts as she does because it's to keep reality running the way it's supposed to? she's just an avatar of the entire multiverse's own will to survive etc.
    I'm not on board with it, but she's the Lady, think what you like.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Barbarian in the Playground

Does Gothic Earth (Masque of the Red Death) exist in Spelljammer space in a crystal sphere or is its astronomy more or less the same as real life, as an alternate material plane with its own cosmology?

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rigsmal View Post
    Does Gothic Earth (Masque of the Red Death) exist in Spelljammer space in a crystal sphere or is its astronomy more or less the same as real life, as an alternate material plane with its own cosmology?
    Hasn't this been asked already? In this thread? By you?

16. - Top - End - #406
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh, I could swear I asked it but for some reason couldn't find it by search I just realized there's a thread search tool. I was literally going over my past posts in my profile. Never mind me!
    Last edited by rigsmal; 2017-11-07 at 10:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #407

MonkGirl

I really don't know what you expect me to answer with. Fine, whatever... maybe a city inside the divine realm of a deity of such a super-tech Prime world. Is that an acceptable loophole?
    Sorry I meant more like... could I expect to (with enough looking and luck) expect to see a laser rifle show up for sale in Sigil, or a well used spaceship come up for auction at the Marketplace Eternal, or track someone down to repair a suit of power-armor in the City of Brass?

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ettin in the Playground

Did you see my post about "boot camp" in Random Banter? Levistus should have to go through something vaguely like that (and Asmodeus is surely capable of it) but instead he's just... an ice cube.

Yet, for some ****ing reason, he COMPLAINS about it!

Yes, I know I've brought this up before.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2017-11-08 at 05:15 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry I meant more like... could I expect to (with enough looking and luck) expect to see a laser rifle show up for sale in Sigil, or a well used spaceship come up for auction at the Marketplace Eternal, or track someone down to repair a suit of power-armor in the City of Brass?
    I mean, it's Planescape, infinite diversity, so you and I both know that I can't say "no" in any absolute sense. Doesn't mean it's the kind of thing you can reasonably expect to pull out of your hat with a Gather Information check, though. Just because there could be doesn't mean that there will be.

Except for that third thing, I don't see why you'd expect to find a repairman in a place that melts all the things.

20. - Top - End - #410

MonkGirl

Except for that third thing, I don't see why you'd expect to find a repairman in a place that melts all the things.
    I was just trying to rattle off some of the ‘big marketplaces of the multiverse’.

Anyways, it is an interesting idea; sort of pairs with what we were just talking about: the nature of the universe in some ways conspires to keep you running into things that you are familiar with. There could be a whole active sci-fi element of the universe that ‘centralized bigwigs’ like Demogorgon and Primus are in some ways aware of but people on their fantasy-Primes just never experience... maybe some of those unlabeled Abyssal levels are led by a killer AI; or themed into cybernetic bodyhorror.

The ship at Barrier Peaks represents a rare breakdown of such a parsing system, unsurpringly on the Prime (where such things like personal perspective, beliefs, and expectations would seem to have less sway)
    Last edited by Naanomi; 2017-11-09 at 09:14 AM.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, sorry, you've just basically hit on something I'm totally disengaged on. I like the occasional oddball Barrier Peaks thing, but that's basically it.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Lets say Asmodeus is plotting something (crazy, I know, but bear with me) and said plot nessicates the sacrifice (literal and/or metaphorical) one or more of the other Lords of the Nine (as if they were expendable pawns, almost).

How do you think big A would rank the other Lords in terms of expendability?
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    How do you think big A would rank the other Lords in terms of expendability?
    Let me answer your question in song.

More complete answer to follow tomorrow.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Huh? What do Bells have to do with... :snort: bwaaahahahahaha!

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

See this is why people believe you when you say you're chaotic evil.
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Colossus in the Playground

Damn, that took me a long time. I'd be tempted to nominate Levistus next, but for some reason, Big A kept him around as a popsicle, so there's some reason not to kill him. (Maybe the reason is this sacrifice.)
    Resident Vancian Apologist

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ettin in the Playground

Just so you know, "next video" suggestions change.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Damn, that took me a long time. I'd be tempted to nominate Levistus next, but for some reason, Big A kept him around as a popsicle, so there's some reason not to kill him. (Maybe the reason is this sacrifice.)
    I'd always assumed that death was simply too good for Levistus, especially considering that Big A has other family and needed to set a precedent.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

Well now I'm just real excited.

Since I'm at it, totally unrelated question:

Are there any particular groups of people; be they followers of a particular deity or members of a faction or whatever; who would fit the image of a stereotypical missionary? You know, the kind who goes around bothering random people in attempts to actively convert them (or in their mind "save their souls") using stuff rannging from the classic "do you have a moment to talk about our lord and saviour XXX" to the more extreme "END IS NIGH, CONVERT NOW OR BURN FOREVER!".

Or is there a reason these kinda folks don't really exist, despite the clear tangibleness of the divine and the numerous incentives to convert people?
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The Athar do. For a nominally godless group they can get quite proselyting.