New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar And Other Oddities Questions Thread VII

At the very beginning of this thread you posted that "I assume all or nearly all published settings to be connected in the same multiverse; this means both Spelljammer and Planescape, as well as worlds that try to remain separate such as Athas and Eberron, are all part of the same ball of wax as far as I'm concerned. Mystara is also considered included, and its cosmological uniqueness is interpreted through the lens of the Great Wheel."

Where (among your 7 threads on the planes, the various 3.X manuals, or the internet in general) can I find more information on how different campaign setting material planes are related and how travel and communication happen between them (if they are even possible)? For example, how does a wizard in Eberron learn Mordenkainen's Disjunction? Was it independently invented in the world of Eberron, "brought over" by a traveler from the Forgotten Realms? Etc.

I looked at the Spelljammer chart and couldn't make much sense of it.

Last edited by Curelomosaurus; 2020-06-11 at 05:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Banned

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Curelomosaurus View Post
    Where (among your 7 threads on the planes, the various 3.X manuals, or the internet in general) can I find more information on how different campaign setting material planes are related and how travel and communication happen between them (if they are even possible)? For example, how does a wizard in Eberron learn Mordenkainen's Disjunction? Was it independently invented in the world of Eberron, "brought over" by a traveler from the Forgotten Realms? Etc.
    Well, Dragonlance, Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms are all linked by Spelljammer and Planescape is 2E. Most 2E products mention this and have details. Spelljammer specifically puts each solar system "near" each other. And Planesacape makes it clear they are all three well know Prime worlds.

There are tons of canonical crossovers. For years, in Dragon, Elminster(FR), Mordenkainen(GH) and Dalamar(DL) all met on Earth every so often to talk and trade spells. Plenty of high level characters have been know to travel the multiverse. Dark Sun and Ravenloft and Birthright are also around, but hard to get to and mostly unknown.

While there is tons of evidence that things like spells are brought over across all the settings, it also stands to reason that many of the same spells were also made localy(but keep thier offical names so as to not confuse Game Players).

Most other settings don't have much or any contact as they are either more isolated or are just kept apart to make them "unique".

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    I think it has to do with the ancient war of Dragon and Draeden. Dragon was creation incarnate and went on to become Io and create dragons. One could say that the world of Dungeons and Dragons is fundamentally built on dragons.
    Yeah, I'm aware of that conflict, it's the "Material Plane arcane magic" bit that tripped me up. If it was "all arcane magic" by way of e.g. beating down the draedens and establishing their own form of magic, or "all Material Plane magic" by virtue of e.g. the Material Plane being uniquely tied to Io somehow, or something like that, I'd assume it was just that, but "Material Plane arcane magic" implied there's a more specific story there.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Banned

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    What is everything known about Kiaransalee, and what are all the stories she's involved in?

All I can find is a short FR wiki page and some involvement in an Orcus module.
    That is about it:

Demihuman Deities(2E)
    FR Campaign Guide, Faiths and Pantheons, Underdark (3E)
    Sword Coast book(5E)

Novel: The Storm of the Dead

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Fiendish Codex II says that demons were the first things to exist in the multiverse, as they are beings of pure chaos or something. Other sources, like Elder Evils and MotP, talk about the denizens of the Far Realm being older than the gods. So what is the relationship between demons and the Far Realm? For that matter, since sladdi are supposed to be the "embodiment of chaos", how do they fit into all of this? Are demons and slaadi from the Far Realm?

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Ettin in the Playground

Fiendish Codex II says that demons were the first things to exist in the multiverse, as they are beings of pure chaos or something. Other sources, like Elder Evils and MotP, talk about the denizens of the Far Realm being older than the gods. So what is the relationship between demons and the Far Realm? For that matter, since sladdi are supposed to be the "embodiment of chaos", how do they fit into all of this? Are demons and slaadi from the Far Realm?
    That's a bunch of "no"s. If any of those questions don't have "no" as a grammatically-correct answer, insert whatever word is equivalent.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-06-12 at 12:14 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

To add details to Enderlord's answer:

The story from Fiendish Codex 2 is a bunch of bunk. It jives with neither the story from Fiendish Codex 1 about demons, nor with the greater multiverse as we know it from Planescape nor with the half a dozen other stories (all of which are mutually contradictory) about how devils came to be. It can be safely assumed that the story is (like most other devil origin stories) diabolical propaganda with a kernel of truth.

The Far Realm and its denizens exist outside of time. Time as we know it holds no meaning there. From that perspective one could say that it lies before the beginning of time and therefore is "older", for a certain meaning of the word.

Demons and Slaadi are not related to the Far Realms at all. In the early days of the multiverse the planes formed (I believe from pure potential), with Chaos having a headstart over Law. Among the first beings that were born on the planes were the ancient Slaadi (which we call Slaadish in this thread to distinguish them from the modern Slaadi), which were the primordial embodiments of Chaos.

The Obyrith demons happened at the same time, or maybe later. I'm not sure. Those primordial demons, which were closer to Chaos than to Evil, were certainly the earliest embodiments of Chaotic Evil, compared to the Chaotic Neutral of the Slaadish. And then a bunch of other things happened which caused the Obyrith to be supplanted by the modern Tana'ri demons and the Slaadish to transform into the Slaadi.

Everything's clear?

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

One other thing to add to what evryone else has said - the so called "Far Realm" isn't part of the multiverse, hence it is not relevant to questiosn of what came first.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    When you do have a chance, could you expound on this a bit? I know about the sorcery connection, Draconic being used for magical writings, dragons being among the first casters, and so on, but the "pillars of the earth" bit implies there's some more fundamental lore I hadn't heard of before.
    So basically... as you know, there are many different magic systems. Divine magic is sourced from belief, chiefly through the powers and some other notable entities of belief, and is tied to the Outer Planes. Psionics are the power of the mind to express things into the reality to which it is proximate directly, and are heavily linked to the Astral Plane. Incarnum is the power of the soul, which ultimately issues from the Positive Energy Plane before being characterized elsewhere. Shadowcasting draws on the Plane of Shadow.

When we look at "magic" as distinct from spells that the powers funnel through their representatives, however, on the Prime Material Plane, there are certain races that are understood to have particular magical traditions. Dwarves and giants with rune magic, for instance; gnomes with shadowcraft and illusion; elves, always famous for it; and of course dragons.

Now, bearing in mind that this is afrocanon only, here's the basic outline:

Spoiler: Big jumble of stuff
    Show
    • In the beginning, there were two kinds of "magic" proper, broadly speaking. The magic of Io was the power of the Elemental Planes made real in the Prime, while the magic of Rhiannon was attuned to life itself. In the crudest of terms, these were arcane magic and druidic magic.

• Draconic magic evolved away from simply the fact of dragons being entities of power to them actually being able to work spells. The principles of draconic magic link into the primal components of the Material Plane, which is to say when you see a spell that requires a precious metal or gemstone as a component, this originates from the draconic tradition. Gold is literally magically conductive in the D&D multiverse, and gemstones tend to have similar properties.

• Dragons, as engines of magic, are drawn to find and hoard the precious things of the world because they feel such things belong to them - that pull is the arcane resonance, which most of them don't even understand to begin with (and all of them would heartily deny). Dragons can absorb power from their hoards - over a long enough period of time, a hoard's real "value" will diminish as its presence near the dragon causes the arcane attenuation to leach out. For this reason, even though a dragon is lying on a mountain of coins and magical items and whatnot, the amount of treasure in their lair tends toward "triple standard." Much of the earliest gold they have collected has been leached of its real value and become lusterless dross, though because the dragon has leached the attenuation from it, they will still very crankily demand it back regardless. You can see an example of dragons deliberately absorbing the magic of their hoard in the Dragon Ascendant prestige class, for example.

• In turn, when a dragon dies, the arcane power that its life contained sinks back into the world, returning the attenuation and creating new gems and precious metals.

• The dragons taught their arts to the ancient gnomes, who were heavily inspired by it and elaborated on the magic of gemstones in particular. The gnomes studied magical attenuation and eventually figured out how draconic magic can interact with the barriers of the planes. Gnomish magic is the "traditional" arcane magic studied by wizards to this day, or at least a key founding branch. However, the gnomes experimented much further than they should have, developing shadowcraft magic and ultimately rupturing the boundaries between what could be and what could never be by making a gate out of illusion magic that was more real than reality. This threw them back by millennia, and in light of what happened, the gnomes started teaching the bardic magic tradition instead, hoping to keep their cultures from the excesses of the past.

• Meanwhile, elven high magic developed from the fey magic of Rhiannon, which was tied to living things. Spells that manipulate or make use of plants and animals (or their pieces) had their start in this magical tradition. As the elves interpolated precious silver and mithril into their magic, they added "traditional" arcane principles and learned about attenuation to a lesser extent than the gnomes had, ultimately creating the other standard branch of what is now conventional wizardly magic. Both branches eventually became bastardized together to form what is now the standard wizarding canon.

• Other magical traditions existed or evolved, in similar ways. Some of these never really stuck the landing and faded away again. Some were tied to races (the spaakiil, the juna) who died out eons ago (the Spelljammer was created by spaakiil, juna, and gnome magic worked together). Some couldn't strike it big but still remained a lingering curiosity, some didn't move beyond a handful of worlds. The sha'ir conjure an agent from the Inner Planes to bargain for snippets of extraplanar magic that they can wield. Wu jen study magical attenuation by means of hermetic living and a connection to a particular foundational element of the Prime. Alienists risk madness to draw power from beyond the forbidden veil. Blood magi have learned the art of twisting life magic by substituting the physical stuff of life for the spiritual.

• Anyway, the broader point is that the magical ecology of a healthy Prime world vests in dragonkind to some extent, often aided by the watchful gaze of a deity of magic. Since none of this ecology is either present or necessary on the Outer Planes, which function on the basis of different rules (sometimes staggeringly so, as local effects on magic can attest), the dragons of the Outer Planes, who exist as reflections of the mighty beasts of the Material Plane rather than vice versa, have less of a connection to magic than their Prime counterparts, for whom it is quite meaningfully a part of body and soul.

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Speaking of which... was that the same conflict as the War of Law and Chaos? If not, were they distinct-yet-simultaneous conflicts? If not, which came before the other?
    The first conflict in this multiverse was between dragon and draeden for the right of the multiverse to even exist. The War of Law and Chaos was the subsequent conflict, reality versus irreality.

Some spells are independently developed, which should come as no surprise, but for others, there are numerous ways to travel between worlds. Spelljamming works between many settings, planar travel likewise; shadow walking can get you to any of them; and high-level magic can peer into secrets from beyond one's own world. That being said, communication between worlds is fairly rare; vanishingly so in many cases.

The secrets of a particular spell from Faerûn might have their origins in a tome, carried on a spelljammer that crashed into a sargasso of Siberys shards far above the surface of Eberron, fallen to ground charred but intact thanks to magical protections. Depending on where it landed, it might be treated as a curio of a lost empire from Xen'drik, a valuable resource for checking the other nations (or captured intelligence about another nation's secret magical developments!) on Khorvaire, dragonlore on Argonnesen, mysterious magic born of the dreams of the Inspired on Sarlona. That same tome may have vanished in a bag of holding rupture on Oerth only to wind up at an interplanar bookseller's shop in Sigil, where a tourist from Faerûn might have picked it up before returning home in order to go on a journey between the stars.

Fiendish Codex II says that demons were the first things to exist in the multiverse, as they are beings of pure chaos or something.
    Inaccurate, and they are not.

Other sources, like Elder Evils and MotP, talk about the denizens of the Far Realm being older than the gods.
    Accurate, for values of "older" that respect that there is no time in the Far Realm.

So what is the relationship between demons and the Far Realm?
    None, as a general rule. The Far Realm is that which cannot be; demons are all plenty horrifying, but fall squarely into the realm of that which can be. For some values of "be." Demons have no use for the Far Realm by and large and would be at risk from its dangers as much as any other thing not native to there.

For that matter, since sladdi are supposed to be the "embodiment of chaos", how do they fit into all of this? Are demons and slaadi from the Far Realm?
    Slaadi are the exemplars of chaos undiluted by either good or evil. Demons are the exemplars of chaotic evil. The entities of the Far Realm are the exemplars of purple autonomous xylophone trepanning. They don't belong in the multiverse whatsoever; any resemblance to alignment once they are here is coincidental, the result of an experience of our reality that is as alien, hostile, shocking, and horrific as we find them to be. With very few exceptions, creatures of the Far Realm arrive here purely as a result of the overlap of their own curiosity and the negligent ambition of something on this side to poke holes in reality and see what happens.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Aaand this is now Dice Canon as well. Fantastic writeup.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    So basically... as you know, there are many different magic systems. Divine magic is sourced from belief, chiefly through the powers and some other notable entities of belief, and is tied to the Outer Planes. Psionics are the power of the mind to express things into the reality to which it is proximate directly, and are heavily linked to the Astral Plane. Incarnum is the power of the soul, which ultimately issues from the Positive Energy Plane before being characterized elsewhere. Shadowcasting draws on the Plane of Shadow.

When we look at "magic" as distinct from spells that the powers funnel through their representatives, however, on the Prime Material Plane, there are certain races that are understood to have particular magical traditions. Dwarves and giants with rune magic, for instance; gnomes with shadowcraft and illusion; elves, always famous for it; and of course dragons.

Spoiler: Big jumble of stuff
    Show
    • In the beginning, there were two kinds of "magic" proper, broadly speaking. The magic of Io was the power of the Elemental Planes made real in the Prime, while the magic of Rhiannon was attuned to life itself. In the crudest of terms, these were arcane magic and druidic magic.

• Draconic magic evolved away from simply the fact of dragons being entities of power to them actually being able to work spells. The principles of draconic magic link into the primal components of the Material Plane, which is to say when you see a spell that requires a precious metal or gemstone as a component, this originates from the draconic tradition. Gold is literally magically conductive in the D&D multiverse, and gemstones tend to have similar properties.

• Dragons, as engines of magic, are drawn to find and hoard the precious things of the world because they feel such things belong to them - that pull is the arcane resonance, which most of them don't even understand to begin with (and all of them would heartily deny). Dragons can absorb power from their hoards - over a long enough period of time, a hoard's real "value" will diminish as its presence near the dragon causes the arcane attenuation to leach out. For this reason, even though a dragon is lying on a mountain of coins and magical items and whatnot, the amount of treasure in their lair tends toward "triple standard." Much of the earliest gold they have collected has been leached of its real value and become lusterless dross, though because the dragon has leached the attenuation from it, they will still very crankily demand it back regardless. You can see an example of dragons deliberately absorbing the magic of their hoard in the Dragon Ascendant prestige class, for example.

• In turn, when a dragon dies, the arcane power that its life contained sinks back into the world, returning the attenuation and creating new gems and precious metals.

• The dragons taught their arts to the ancient gnomes, who were heavily inspired by it and elaborated on the magic of gemstones in particular. The gnomes studied magical attenuation and eventually figured out how draconic magic can interact with the barriers of the planes. Gnomish magic is the "traditional" arcane magic studied by wizards to this day, or at least a key founding branch. However, the gnomes experimented much further than they should have, developing shadowcraft magic and ultimately rupturing the boundaries between what could be and what could never be by making a gate out of illusion magic that was more real than reality. This threw them back by millennia, and in light of what happened, the gnomes started teaching the bardic magic tradition instead, hoping to keep their cultures from the excesses of the past.

• Meanwhile, elven high magic developed from the fey magic of Rhiannon, which was tied to living things. Spells that manipulate or make use of plants and animals (or their pieces) had their start in this magical tradition. As the elves interpolated precious silver and mithril into their magic, they added "traditional" arcane principles and learned about attenuation to a lesser extent than the gnomes had, ultimately creating the other standard branch of what is now conventional wizardly magic. Both branches eventually became bastardized together to form what is now the standard wizarding canon.

• Other magical traditions existed or evolved, in similar ways. Some of these never really stuck the landing and faded away again. Some were tied to races (the spaakiil, the juna) who died out eons ago (the Spelljammer was created by spaakiil, juna, and gnome magic worked together). Some couldn't strike it big but still remained a lingering curiosity, some didn't move beyond a handful of worlds. The sha'ir conjure an agent from the Inner Planes to bargain for snippets of extraplanar magic that they can wield. Wu jen study magical attenuation by means of hermetic living and a connection to a particular foundational element of the Prime. Alienists risk madness to draw power from beyond the forbidden veil. Blood magi have learned the art of twisting life magic by substituting the physical stuff of life for the spiritual.

• Anyway, the broader point is that the magical ecology of a healthy Prime world vests in dragonkind to some extent, often aided by the watchful gaze of a deity of magic. Since none of this ecology is either present or necessary on the Outer Planes, which function on the basis of different rules (sometimes staggeringly so, as local effects on magic can attest), the dragons of the Outer Planes, who exist as reflections of the mighty beasts of the Material Plane rather than vice versa, have less of a connection to magic than their Prime counterparts, for whom it is quite meaningfully a part of body and soul.

The first conflict in this multiverse was between dragon and draeden for the right of the multiverse to even exist. The War of Law and Chaos was the subsequent conflict, reality versus irreality.

Some spells are independently developed, which should come as no surprise, but for others, there are numerous ways to travel between worlds. Spelljamming works between many settings, planar travel likewise; shadow walking can get you to any of them; and high-level magic can peer into secrets from beyond one's own world. That being said, communication between worlds is fairly rare; vanishingly so in many cases.

The secrets of a particular spell from Faerûn might have their origins in a tome, carried on a spelljammer that crashed into a sargasso of Siberys shards far above the surface of Eberron, fallen to ground charred but intact thanks to magical protections. Depending on where it landed, it might be treated as a curio of a lost empire from Xen'drik, a valuable resource for checking the other nations (or captured intelligence about another nation's secret magical developments!) on Khorvaire, dragonlore on Argonnesen, mysterious magic born of the dreams of the Inspired on Sarlona. That same tome may have vanished in a bag of holding rupture on Oerth only to wind up at an interplanar bookseller's shop in Sigil, where a tourist from Faerûn might have picked it up before returning home in order to go on a journey between the stars.

Inaccurate, and they are not.

Accurate, for values of "older" that respect that there is no time in the Far Realm.

None, as a general rule. The Far Realm is that which cannot be; demons are all plenty horrifying, but fall squarely into the realm of that which can be. For some values of "be." Demons have no use for the Far Realm by and large and would be at risk from its dangers as much as any other thing not native to there.

Slaadi are the exemplars of chaos undiluted by either good or evil. Demons are the exemplars of chaotic evil. The entities of the Far Realm are the exemplars of purple autonomous xylophone trepanning. They don't belong in the multiverse whatsoever; any resemblance to alignment once they are here is coincidental, the result of an experience of our reality that is as alien, hostile, shocking, and horrific as we find them to be. With very few exceptions, creatures of the Far Realm arrive here purely as a result of the overlap of their own curiosity and the negligent ambition of something on this side to poke holes in reality and see what happens.
    Clearly, I have much to learn in the ways of the Force.

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking of Birthright, how would one get to Aebrynis? The Shadow World seems to be some facsimile of the Plane of Shadow, so some form of Shadow Walk, perhaps?
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Banned

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Speaking of Birthright, how would one get to Aebrynis? The Shadow World seems to be some facsimile of the Plane of Shadow, so some form of Shadow Walk, perhaps?
    In 2E lore Birthright and Aebrynis are known to canny bloods on the Planes, just as well as Dragonlance, Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms. And Birthright can be reached by normal planual travel.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Ogre in the Playground

As I recall, you have more trouble getting off Aebrynis than you do reaching it. The Shadow World is actively nasty a lot of the time and interacts with teleportation and summoning spells in unpredictable ways.

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Ettin in the Playground

Apropos of nothing, I suspect that the "x" in energon names is meant to be pronounced as a "z" based largely on the fact that a Xap-Yaup will, indeed, zap ya' up.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-06-18 at 10:40 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Apropos of nothing, I suspect that the "x" in energon names is meant to be pronounced as a "z" based largely on the fact that a Xap-Yaup will, indeed, zap ya' up.
    I still find it strange that "X" has that many different pronounciations in English. In German it's always pronounced like "ks"

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Ogre in the Playground

It's rather likely, since English is a language descended from Old High Germanic, as is German (Albeit with a lot of French influences in English's case) that "x" used to only be "ks" in English as well, but got corrupted into the similar "z" sound. I know what you're saying, you don't think they're that similar of sounds. And fair, they sound different. But the similarity is in how they're made. Tongue's in the same position, it's just the difference between voiced and voiceless.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there a deity of both technology and creativity that has a divine realm in the Grey Wastes?

I'm guessing not, but I thought I'd check.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Colossus in the Playground

Let's see. Gods I can find for the wastes include:

Abbathor, dwarven god of greed. No tech component I know, but maybe could be made to have that, via being dwarven?
    Anthraxus
    Cyric
    Hel
    Kelemvor
    Mask
    Myrkul
    Shar
    Yurtrus
    Ratri
    Anwn
    Hades
    Hecate

So no, not really.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ogre in the Playground

A deity of creativity in the plane of depression and apathy? I think that most unlikely.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Isn't Anthraxus an altraloth and not a god?
    And I thought Cyric's realm was in Pandemonium?

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, since it's not "someone's divine realm on the Grey Wastes" what would be the planar location that's most similar to the world of Bendy and the Ink Machine? Somewhere in the Abyss maybe? Perhaps one of the Transitional Planes? Something else?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Okay, since it's not "someone's divine realm on the Grey Wastes" what would be the planar location that's most similar to the world of Bendy and the Ink Machine? Somewhere in the Abyss maybe? Perhaps one of the Transitional Planes? Something else?
    I remember a factory producing despair in that story "Expidition into the Hinterlands", behind the gate town to Hades. Is that like what you want?

Alternatively I could imagine some kind of Shadow connection, but in that case it would be better to have it somewhere outside the Plane of Shadow, somewhere where it's stuff can seep in.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ettin in the Playground

I remember a factory producing despair in that story "Expidition into the Hinterlands", behind the gate town to Hades. Is that like what you want?

Alternatively I could imagine some kind of Shadow connection, but in that case it would be better to have it somewhere outside the Plane of Shadow, somewhere where it's stuff can seep in.
    I remember that story too, and yeah, it seems about as close as I'm gonna get.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Colossus in the Playground

Can you describe it more? I haven't played that.

That said "evil creativity" and soul draining machines of some kind could fit very well into the Abyss or even Pandemonium.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2020-06-19 at 06:35 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Can you describe it more? I haven't played that.

That said "evil creativity" and soul draining machines of some kind could fit very well into the Abyss or even Pandemonium.
    I too haven't played it, but I know the premisse and partly the plot:

Once upon a time there was a little animation studio which produced a cartoon of an a bit more... mature bent. It followed Bendy, the dancing devil, his girlfriend, Alice Angel, and their best friend, Boris the wolf. But then Mickey Mouse was invented, and the little animation studio went broke and needed to close.
    Years later Bendy's creator Henry receives a mysterious letter asking him to come to the deserted studio. There he finds accusing messages ("The creator betrayed us"), stumbles over a corpse looking like Boris as a real being and is stalked by a devil made of ink.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think the whole thing is about about attempts by a co-worker trying to make cartoon characters come to life by infusing ink with souls and the resulting half-mad beings.

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Ettin in the Playground

I too haven't played it, but I know the premisse and partly the plot:

Once upon a time there was a little animation studio which produced a cartoon of an a bit more... mature bent. It followed Bendy, the dancing devil, his girlfriend, Alice Angel, and their best friend, Boris the wolf. But then Mickey Mouse was invented, and the little animation studio went broke and needed to close.
    Years later Bendy's creator Henry receives a mysterious letter asking him to come to the deserted studio. There he finds accusing messages ("The creator betrayed us"), stumbles over a corpse looking like Boris as a real being and is stalked by a devil made of ink.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think the whole thing is about about attempts by a co-worker trying to make cartoon characters come to life by infusing ink with souls and the resulting half-mad beings.
    That's vaguely close. Some mixups of who's who, but you get the rough jist.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

That's vaguely close. Some mixups of who's who, but you get the rough jist.
    Close enough is good enough?
    Maybe I should play it, but I already have such a backlog.

Anyway, the longer I think about it, the more I like the idea of equating the ink with shadowstuff.

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Ogre in the Playground

Cyric's Supreme Throne is on Pandemonium, but I think that's where he was exiled to after losing the Crystal Spire to Kelemvor.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Ettin in the Playground

Is this more likely to be set in one of the Transitional planes, or a really weird Prime sphere?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.