New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Base Class Contest Chat Thread V: I Scored at the Top of My Base Class

thanks! is there any thread that I can check for constant updates? when a contest begins, the subject, etc.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Base Class Contest Chat Thread V: I Scored at the Top of My Base Class

This thread, actually! If you're interested, there's also a 3.5 Prestige Class contest thread and chat thread.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    thanks! is there any thread that I can check for constant updates? when a contest begins, the subject, etc.
    Usually the first post in this thread has that information, but we're in the middle of handing over administration of the contest from Temotei to Jormengand, with a brief flirtation with the idea of me doing it.
    Last edited by sengmeng; 2018-07-12 at 05:41 PM.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    Usually the first post in this thread has that information, but we're in the middle of handing over administration of the contest from Temotei to Jormengand, with a brief flirtation with the idea of me doing it.
    For now, I've updated the first post and my signature.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

5. - Top - End - #245
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

On the Professional I'll repost and open for suggestions as I agree its functional, but a lot of the classic professions are not represented.

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lanth Sor View Post
    On the Professional I'll repost and open for suggestions as I agree its functional, but a lot of the classic professions are not represented.
    I'll be very interested to see what you come up with once you have a chance to flesh out the Professional a bit more.

As for the Rescuer, I'm thinking of making a few changes to the level 6 Medical training ability. I'm thinking of changing the effect to regular healing instead of providing temporary hp, but dropping the DC to 20, allowing a give character to benefit from the healing 1/hour instead of 1/day and allowing for increased amounts of healing for every 10 points by which the DC is beaten (so 3x the class level at DC 30, 4x at 40 and so on).
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

7. - Top - End - #247
    Banned

Congrats to people who have done the thing with the points and the winning; please suggest themes, promise I'll be awake enough to run this in a moment.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Hope things are going better! My suggestions:

Fairy Tales
    Mythology (Classical or otherwise)
    Science Fiction
    Underwater Campaigns
    Underground Campaigns
    Monstrous Campaigns

9. - Top - End - #249

MindFlayer

Votes
    1. Fairy Tale
    2. Myth

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh, we did fairy tales and mythology a while ago (that was actually the first contest I participated in). My vote goes to Underground

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Show

11. - Top - End - #251

I'm going to suggest Language as a theme.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, I think I have the beginnings of an idea for that, so I'll switch my vote to Language as well.

My Homebrew

Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

you know what I put my hat to for language as next topic as i like to see you crack pot homebrewers brew someting besides granting more languages known or better usage on the ones you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

14. - Top - End - #254

MindFlayer

What about Anime Protagonism
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2018-07-18 at 10:33 AM.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    I'm going to suggest Language as a theme.
    As a former professional linguist, I feel it is my duty to second this.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Nod, get treat.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Banned

We have four votes for language, easily beating out any of the other suggestions. Therefore, thread.

17. - Top - End - #257

What about Anime Protagonism
    Well, you can do both: have a martial initiator based around shouting the names of his maneuvers.

Nod, get treat.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    Well, you can do both: have a martial initiator based around shouting the names of his maneuvers.
    That's why five-shadow creeping-ice enervation strike is 9th-level: it's so hard to say!

19. - Top - End - #259

MindFlayer

While yes those things are common tropes they are not what makes up any where near all anime.

My idea could equally be described as Anime Tropes, specifically I was thinking of making a trapped in video game character.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2018-07-19 at 04:54 PM.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

20. - Top - End - #260

While yes those things are common tropes they are not what makes up any where near all anime.

My idea could equally be described as Anime Tropes, specifically I was thinking of making a trapped in video game character.
    Oh, that's easy. The character is made of video game language and gradually becomes more and more a part of the data. They are language--just 0s and 1s instead of written characters and such.
    Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Posted the basics for my linguist base class, need to create a few more abilities to fill the dead levels and to finalize the existing class abilities. What do you say?

22. - Top - End - #262

MindFlayer

Oh, that's easy. The character is made of video game language and gradually becomes more and more a part of the data. They are language--just 0s and 1s instead of written characters and such.
    Good point. I'm going to do something with that.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I've got the Lexitheurge more or less completed. I'm debating doing something more with the Cultural Studies class feature, but honestly I'm just a little worried that might be a bit much with everything else the class gets.

My Homebrew

Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Finished the Guide, except I'm drawing a blank for thematic abilities the Gnoll language should grant.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Banned

I think the word teacher's going to be an interesting one. Why I'm doing this, I don't know.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    Finished the Guide, except I'm drawing a blank for thematic abilities the Gnoll language should grant.
    Just glancing it over, my main concern regarding the Guide would be that it has a large number of dead levels and no capstone.

My Homebrew

Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Just glancing it over, my main concern regarding the Guide would be that it has a large number of dead levels and no capstone.
    Righto, I'll have a rethink (and give feedback to everyone else too).

28. - Top - End - #268

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    I think the word teacher's going to be an interesting one. Why I'm doing this, I don't know.
    Sometimes, I struggle to see why you do this too. [/tenhundred]
    Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #269
    Banned

Sometimes, I struggle to see why you do this too.
    Honestly? Concept starvation. There are hundreds of official classes, tens of thousands of homebrew classes, and over a hundred of them are by me. There were only a limited number of concepts that I wanted to be implemented that hadn't been already, and so I just come up with silly things instead a lot of the time.

[/tenhundred]
    What I mean to say is that there are many classes which the real game people have made, and many many classes which other people have made, and over a hundred which I have made, and since there are not so many missing ideas for classes that I can make, I have run out of ones which I can think of to make, so I make funny classes instead of normal classes.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Quick question, is there going to be an extension on the contest? I only ask because it looks like there are only three complete classes at this point with three others missing all or most of their class features.

My Homebrew

Show