New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Games with Dice System similar to SWRPG

Upon playing a little bit of the Star Wars RPG line by Fantasy Flight (Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, Force and Destiny), I have found their dice mechanics to quite possibly be my favorite from an RPG, and was wondering if there were any other systems which utilize a similar premise, in some way or another.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Games with Dice System similar to SWRPG

Fantasy flight sort of had a proto version of their Star Wars system for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd edition. However my understanding is that it was far more complicated, with a lot of board game kind of elements. (I've not played the game, so can't comment on precisely how it compares).

From what I understand the Star Wars version has a similar philosophy but is a better expression of it.

I've seen games which use a dice pool where you are looking for successes and failures, to see whether you succeed. The only one i've played was Airship Pirates, but that used ordinary d6 rather than dice with special symbols.
    Time is but a pattern in the currents of causality,
    an ever changing present that determines our reality,
    the past we see as history, the future seed with prophecy,
    and all the time we think on time our time is passing constantly.
    Starlight and Steam RPG

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

If you're looking for 'dice can give success or advantages' I can't help you.

If you want difficulty adding bad dice Victoriana does exactly that. All rolls need two successes to appear in your dice pool (d6s equal to attribute+skill), 1s or 6s are successes to allow you to quickly shot then with pipped dice, and easy tasks give bonus dice. But hard tasks or bad circumstances add 'black dice' to your pool, a 1or 6 on a black die cancels a success. Oh, and attributes can be negative (such as a gnome's strength), this means you add black dice to your pool instead of normal dice. Generally the have works by adding dice to your pool whenever something affects the roll (which makes it a real shame that multiple actions in combat don't add black dice).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

For people unfamiliar with the system, could you describe why it's so awesome and/or what you're looking for?
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Warhammer Fantasy RP, also by Fantasy Flight Games, has similar gimmick dice. They are not the same... you can't really take your SW dice and adapt them. But, it's similar. The advantages and threats are unique to SWRPG, as are the way they inform the storytelling. However, it does have a similar success/fail dice.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

There is a free fanmade fantasy conversion of Edge of the Empire: http://www.redshirtdown.com/kingdom/

I don't have enough knowledge about the system to comment on the quality of the conversion, but it is a rather well made product in terms of production values.