Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 233839404142434445464748
Results 1,411 to 1,437 of 1437
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Celestia's Finest: The Sun Always Rises

"Yeah, we seem to have a common enemy in this Lord of the Stars. Why couldn't we work together on finding out who this being is?" Rose adds to Brazen's statement. "Princess Celestia wishes to hear you out, listen to your tale of what transpired here. Her intentions have always been to help you. If you want revenge on this lord, you can certainly have it with the assistance of Equestria."

Rose nudges Happy Hooves to go ahead and add in her own thoughts. As nice an offer from the EDF for a truce, Happy stands a good, if not better, chance to convince Chrysalis to stand down from this.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sniper was taken aback by the appearance of Twilight Sparkle, albeit not by much. The alicorn's possession was but a new wrinkle on the Nightmare Rarity encounter. Further he was too tired for an emotion as taxing as surprise.

Second verse, same as the first...

A moment's rumination prompted him to try something. Normally, this was where he would fall silent and let the others talk until negotiations broke down. He'd said his piece and that was normally a take-it-or-leave-it prospect. But there was one avenue that no one could try but him. He found himself curious if the mental link in his head went both ways.

He formed a conscious thought with his inner mental voice-- the same one he heard when he read something -- and tried to "push" it or to Chrysalis. He'd probably get mocked for his clumsiness, but he wasn't a magician so it wasn't like he knew any better.

Testing, testing. Is this thing on?
    Last edited by D.KnightSpider; 2017-09-04 at 06:53 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Oh, friendship. Because I've had such good luck with that before. Why not try it another time? What could possibly go wrong?" Chrysalis' tone is biting and spiteful. "I won't need anypony else. Twilight knows so many spells. I'm sure I can find something in here. In fact, I already have. But I'd hate to ruin the surprise for Celestia and Luna."

"But," she says in a slightly more conciliatory tone, "I will admit that you ponies are very good at what you do. Very good. You're right. I could use your help. So after I defeat you, I think I know just what to do with you. You'll get to join the Hive. Not as food, but as drones. Oh, don't worry. I'll leave you some of your creativity and originality. That's what makes you so effective, after all. I'll just make sure all your devotion is...reoriented to me."

Sniper does hear a reply, but it's not Chrysalis's voice. "Yes? Hello? I hear you. Can you hear me?"

Happy is reluctant to step forward, but she does anyway. "Um...Um...Hi, Chrysalis." She digs into her bag and holds up one, very squashed muffin. "M-muffin?"

Chrysalis stares at her, an expression between confusion and disbelief on her face.
    Last edited by Miltonian; 2017-09-04 at 09:37 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Okay. That was... unexpected enough to actually give Sniper pause. Right. Hive mind. But, it didn't make any sense. Why would Chrysalis let him talk to some pony else? Or was she just so distracted by Brazen's stallionliness that she didn't pick up on it?

This opened up many questions when he didn't have time for questions. That and splitting his attention three ways was awkward to say the least. If any more ponies started joining in on this conversation, he might start getting a headache.

It's no wonder that Chryssi was so cranky if she had to listen to every pony else's blather all the time.

I can hear you. I'm with the Equestrian Defense Force. With whom am I, er, communicating?

He was only half-paying attention to the other conversation. But he heard enough to know that capture wasn't an option. He'd blow himself to the dark forest before he let himself become a drone. He'd already lived that nightmare, thanks.
    Last edited by D.KnightSpider; 2017-09-04 at 10:19 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Titan in the Playground

Love mentally shutters at the reveal. That's not good. At least she had larger aspirations now? Her enemy is theirs and not the elements, sorta. Bug butt still wants to destroy everything or so she says.

Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian View Post
    "Test number five: Possession, will now commence."
    'Wait. Possession? I know something about being possessive.'

She watches Happy step up.

Love shouts bug butt's name, "Chrysalis! You say you've been lied to and tricked. And, you have, but it wasn't Twilight and Glimmer. You learned it yourself. Long Watch and Lard of the Stars were the ones that betrayed you. Twilight and her friend never took advantage of your trust that day. The thing about feelings is that new ones are so hard to pin down. You were probably closer to friendship than you know. So close. You agreed to meet those two. They reached out to you like Happy Hooves is now. No more lies, no more betrayals, no more guessing. You have access to Twilight's memories and feelings."

"Remember that time right before she was supposed to meet you. What she feels like when she's with her friends. What she feels about you! I know you can do it! Feel what it's like to reach out to a friend. Experience what Happy Hooves is going through now, opening her heart to you."
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2017-09-04 at 10:23 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1416

"Hey ponies," Star Chaser says, sounding quite confused, "I just got a call from a changeling. She asked for a status update and says she doesn't know where she is or what she's doing here. Last she remembers is mending holes in some prison uniforms. Now she's in a vent holding a gun. It's not her gun, she claims. Please advise?"

"Oh thank Celestia!" the voice says to Sniper, "This is Princess Twilight Sparkle. Authentication code 0004. I can't see anything right now, but you sound like a stallion. Are you Brazen Hoof or Sniper Scope?"

Chryalis lands on the ground and glowers at Love. "Please. I have made a study of emotions in all their various flavors. I do not need..." She sways. "Enough talking!" she says with a snarl, "We are here to fight and fight we..." She falls backwards into a sitting position. Two of the changelings beside her blink and shake their heads, as if waking up from a long dream. Chrysalis chuckles bitterly.

"You wanted the truth, Sniper Scope? The truth is that you already won. Twilight was still too strong. The four of you, you gave her hope, hope she used to resist me. Whenever I threw hate your way, you responded with...not always kindness, but not with more hate. You beat Rainbow Dash and Applejack by the power of your 'friendship'." She still says that word like it's a curse. "You saved the filly. And don't think I don't know what a high price you paid, Love. I would have kept the tablet, had it been me. And even with your differences, you remained a team. If it weren't for the...friction between you after the fight with Rarity, I wouldn't have been able to get in at all." She rises to her hooves. "But I've still got a few minutes. And if I'm going out, then it's going to be with style!"

All the changelings around her have dull, confused looks on their faces. One of them raises a hoof. "Excuse me? Could somepony tell me what's going on here?"

7. - Top - End - #1417

All the changelings around her have dull, confused looks on their faces. One of them raises a hoof. "Excuse me? Could somepony tell me what's going on here?"
    "If you can hear me, then I order you to immediately get behind us. NOW." Rose made the command to the confused changelings with enough force that it wasn't going to be repeated.

She then gets on the radio with Star chaser. "Chysalis' hold on the changelings is breaking. Round up any and all callers so they can be evac from here. We're engaging the queen in an attempt to resolve the mission without violence. She's got Twilight hostage."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Troll in the Playground

Brazen holds up a hoof at the 'waking' changelings. "Hold that thought fellas, we ain't outa the woods yet, but we're havin ah chit chat with yer ol queen by proxy is the short of it." He turns back to Chrysalis. "Look. All ah'm sayin is ah feel like yer playin into the Lord ah Star's hooves by fightin against us. They wanted to keep you away from other ponies, keep you separated, because they fear what'll happen if you join forces properlike with the rest of pony kind. That be why they sabotaged yer meetin with Starlight Glimmer. That be why they did what they did on this station amongst whatever this business with those... Crystals might be. Ye're gettin ah front row seat to what hope and friendship can do and lettin the past keep you from reachin out for it once more. Instead of lookin at the emotions from ah clinical perspective give another chance at being in the middle of it."

9. - Top - End - #1419

The changelings jump at Rose's order and scurry out of the way of the angry ponies with guns. The fact that they too have weapons doesn't seem to matter right now.

"And what?" Chrysalis is steadily deteriorating, but she's lost none of her scorn. "Are you saying that, if I just surrendered myself to Celestia's tender mercy, I'll be welcomed into the..." She pauses. "Well, it's what they did with Discord..." With a snarl, she turns away. "No! There's a trick here somewhere. A trap. Oh right, I already fell for it! Over two centuries ago! Screw it, what have I got to lose? You four are going to kick my flank in a fight anyway. Why not just skip to the next stage? But then, I wouldn't have given it my all. Oh don't worry. You were headed in the wrong direction. Shut up, kitten! And when did you get so sarcastic? Maybe I learned it from you. Heh...that would be just priceless..."

She turns back towards them. One eye glows green, the other is a brilliant purple. "Shoot me," she says in a voice not like Chrysalis's but not Twilight's either. A strange, eerie blend of them, "I wants my fight and I want Chrysalis out of my head. Will somepony just shoot me with a stun laser already? I made them for that purpose! Oh wait, spell. Grenade! Yes, a grenade."

The changelings gather in the corner. One of them taps Love on the shoulder. "Um...is this a good time for a...sh-sharing circle?"

10. - Top - End - #1420

Rose will levitate a stun grenade to her and hobble over to Chrysalis with it. "Tell you what. I don't doubt you still have reservations about friendship after all the pain you've been through. So, as a sign of good faith that we want to work together with you to take down this Lord of the Stars, how about I pull this pin, and we take the grenade together. Forged by fire, together. What say you?"

Yeah, this was gonna sting a lot if she went through with it, but... actions do speak louder than words, don't they?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sniper Scope had to focus. That was difficult when there was so much sensory input to process. He had to track his conversations with Twilight, Star, the team and keep up with what Chryssi was doing. It was overwhelming.

He closed his eyes and focused on sending a thought wave to Twilight. This is Sniper Scope. Chrysalis' control is linked to your emotional state. Less negativity and more positivity would be preferred. Grab on to every positive emotion you can. He tried to push some feelings of protection and care her way. Didn't know if it would do anything.

Sniper opened his eyes and took a deep breathe. Organize thoughts. Clear the head. Do what has to be done.

He began moving closer toward the possessed Twilight.

"Do you know whose trap you fell into? The Lord of Stars. By keeping on as you have, then you've continued to be played. The Lord of Stars kept you from befriending Starlight Glimmer. Why? What was he afraid of you discovering?

"There is no trick or trap here, Chrysalis. My offer holds. It won't change. If you want to find the answers with me then I'll be here."

One hoof reached into his saddle bag and retrieved a muffin.
    Last edited by D.KnightSpider; 2017-09-04 at 01:03 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Titan in the Playground

The changelings gather in the corner. One of them taps Love on the shoulder. "Um...is this a good time for a...sh-sharing circle?"
    Love has trouble pulling her attention from the fight. Speaking out the side of her lips, "Maybe." She turns her head toward the tapper. "What would you like to share?"

"Pst. Happy Hooves. Would you like to share too?"

Spoiler: Edit
    Show
    I added another line. P: I hope that's ok.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2017-09-04 at 01:03 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1423

Sniper mentally hears a sound like something clicking into place. "Oh! Okay, this makes much more sense then. Let me see. Wise Words' meditations techniques might help here."

Chrysalis glowers at Rose. "All that would prove is that you could take a hit. And give us a banal shared experience, which during my research I discovered is often the basis of friendship!" For a moment, Twilight beams at them, on the verge of launching into her famous lectures. Then, Chrysalis surges to the fore again with a snarl. But now, faced with two muffins from two very different ponies, her eyes narrow. "It doesn't matter if this is a trick. I can't stop it anyway." She reaches out and takes both muffins in a telekinetic grip, but eats Happy's first. She smirks, but there's no smugness of superiority left in it. "Did you know that, in the opening stages of a possession, the two minds struggle for dominance? In that stage, it is vital to keep a clear sense of purpose or, lacking that, emotion with which to batter the original occupant? Otherwise, they are driven out and returned to their original body. I have neither anymore. You stole both from me. But I don't care anymore. I just want to rest and think for a while."

"I would like to share something," Happy says. And she gives Twilight/Chrysalis a hug. The queen sighs and closes her eyes. When she opens them, there is no more green. Only purple. Twilight smiles once and then collapses onto her side.

"It's been a long day," she says.

Meanwhile, the freed changelings have formed up in a circle and are quietly talking among themselves.

14. - Top - End - #1424

"It's been a long day," she says.
    "It certainly has, your Majesty," Rose says, smiling to see the six and final objective secured. "I apologize preemptively for not bowing or saluting you. I'm sure you'll understand."

Rose wiggles the stump of her missing leg.

"If you will not rebuke, I wish to perform a quick medical check up. Just for completeness." Rose will, as she has with every previous Element, check Twilight's condition and ensure she's not a changeling.

(3d6)[12] vs. 14 or 18 (Physiology/First Aid)|
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #1425

Twilight waggles a forehoof in Rose's general direction. "Oh no, it's fine. I'm just going to lay here for a minute. Did you know that the webbing in changeling cocoons acts as a natural mana block? I'm going to need a little bit to recover." She cracks one eye open and looks at Rose. "And call me Twilight. Just Twilight. All my friends do."

Rose's check (which is conducted with the utmost professionalism, of course) reveals that this is indeed an alicorn and not a changeling. Few doctors ever get the opportunity to look at one up close. It's fascinating how their bodies blend elements of all three pony races. But maybe that's a topic for another time.
    Last edited by Miltonian; 2017-09-04 at 06:52 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1426

Satisfied with the results, Rose packs her medical bag. She also puts the grenade away carefully. She gets on her radio, taking a breath first. "Star, this is Rose. Let command know we rescued Twilight and she is in EDF custody. Chrysalis has surrendered. We'll secure her as well and call it a day."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

And call me Twilight. Just Twilight. All my friends do.[/B]"
    And, in the end, he'd see where that led as well. There were no answers here. Only more questions. Maybe in the future he'd get some.

Pondering that would have to wait. While the initial mission might have been done, his work was far from over.

Sniper retreated to the background, allowing the others to come to the fore. They could have their time in the limelight with the Princess. He never liked the spectacle of a victory celebration.

First things first: he needed to know if his mind was his own or not.

Testing. Testing. Is this thing on? Anyone hear me or am I talking to myself like an idiot?

He began heading towards the circle of changelings. While it would be simpler to ask Love for a favor, he didn't want to intrude on any celebration.
    Last edited by D.KnightSpider; 2017-09-04 at 07:17 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1428

No response greets Sniper's words. His head is empty of all thoughts but his own.

"Roger that," Star Chaser responds, "Whew! I don't know about you, but this mare could use some coffee. And a nice, warm bed. Maybe some hot chocolate and a rom-com. Not that I'd last more than five minutes before I fell asleep, but it'd make for good background noise."

Twilight rouses herself to dispense one last piece of information. "Chrysalis is in the next room over. A few changelings were watching her body. I doubt she'll wake up for a few hours at least."

As Sniper approaches the changelings, he begins to hear their conversation. "I don't know, dude," one of them says, "I just feel like the warden's not telling us everything. I mean, state secrets and all that, but I feel like I'm not being told something very important. I've worked prisons before and they weren't exactly overflowing with love, if ya get me. But this place is like...it's like someone took all the love and kindness in the world, bundled it up, and threw it as far away from this place as possible. Well, except for Happy over there." They turn and wave at the pegasus, who is standing off to the side, biting her lip and unsure of what to do right now.

Under her breath, the mare mutters. "I hugged Twilight Sparkle. I hugged Twilight Sparkle. I hugged Twilight. Sparkle. A princess. And I hugged her." Perhaps Sniper could commiserate.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Troll in the Playground

"Love what's the status of the station?" Brazen sighs, saying today was a day for strange happenings would be an understatement. They managed to talk the queen of changelings down. In theory at least. "One last thing afore you get some shut eye Prin- er, Twilight. Where is the Great and Powerful Trixie buried?" After he receives, or doesn't receive, the answer to that he'll move towards the other room to confirm that Chrysalis is there. Waving for Rose to join him.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Titan in the Playground

She trots closer to Brazen so she doesn't have to speak up. "Same old. Same old. Anyways~" She waves away that dirty old news with her hoof. Love grabs him around the neck with a tight embrace. One arm on him the other arm pointing to him, she says, "You get a hug!" She points to a changeling, "You get a hug!", before running off after them. She repeats the process several more times before she points to Twilight whom she rushes over to hug, maybe interrupting her answer to Brazen. "Thank you! Thank you! I was so worried about the gems of Equestria." She points to Happy Hooves. "And, you! You get a hug!" She drops twilight to let her lay down again and nearly squeezes Happy Hooves to death. In the end she picks Happy Hooves up above the ground and starts carrying her around while cheering.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2017-09-04 at 11:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1431

Twilight looks up sharply at Brazen, and then her expression falls. "Oh. Right, that." She sighs and whispers the correct answer in Brazen's ear. "Sorry. I know why you asked, but it's hard to remember an old friend. Starlight's death struck her very hard and she was never the same afterwards."

Brazen moves into the next room, where a group of bewildered changelings stand around whispering to each other and awkwardly debating what to do with Chrysalis. The queen of the changelings lies on her side, chest rising and falling slowly, fast asleep. "How'd she get out?" "Should we get the Warden?" "This is so above my pay-grade..."

Up close and asleep, she lacks some of the regal air she projected before. She looks smaller almost, older, frailer, and weaker. The words she spoke on the tape come back to them. "...almost a millennia and a half old." As legendary as the Elements of Harmony seem, among pony-kind only Celestia and Luna rival her age. Yet here she is, helpless for the moment and their prisoner.

Commander Wildcat speaks for the first time in a long time. "All operational objectives complete. Good work, Harrier Squad. Gather the princess and the queen and get to the Firebird. It's time to come home. And then, i think we could all use some rest and recovery."

However, before Star Chaser can begin organizing their retreat and handing off her position as mission coordinator to another pony, a brash voice breaks over the comms. A little groggy, perhaps, but that's not going to stop her. "Hey! Sniper Scope!" Rainbow Dash says, "I wanna rematch! And this time, I'm gonna kick your flank."

"When," Applejack breaks in, voice stern, "Ya'll are both fully recovered. Right, Dash?"

"Ha! Soon as you get planetside, you mean! Ow! Leggo my ear! Quit it! Fine! Fine! I give. After Sniper Scope is done recovering."

Twilight returns Love's hug, though with considerably less energy. Still! First time being hugged by a princess and all. Happy lets out a little squeak when Love seizes her, but it turns into a grin when she's carried around like a foal. She joins in the cheering and adds. "And I'm going to bake everypony as many muffins as they can eat! It's a family recipe, you know."
    Last edited by Miltonian; 2017-09-04 at 11:36 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Troll in the Playground

Brazen blinks at the hug, then returns it with a chuckle, before resuming his walk. "Station still crashing then?" Brazen normally wouldn't want to be the one to spoil the mood but there would be much to do if that reactor didn't get fixed.

In the next room Brazen surveys the confused changelings. "Brazen Hoof of the EDF. The Warden is no longer in control and is suspected of being ah traitor to say the least. Anything ya'll know about what he and other senior officials around the station did would be much obliged... Actually what did happen to them crystals?" The last muttered under Brazen's breath. Rainbow Dash speaking over the comms does however brighten the earth pony's day. He'd have to remember to sell tickets to that rematch. Same for when Rarity gets her hooves on Sniper, though the media outlets would probably be there long before Brazen.

A look is given to the sleeping Chrysalis. He still feels a bit uncomfortable with this arrangement but if Chrysalis was speaking the truth... Things could work out for the better. It was hard to imagine her doing all those things with how vulnerable she seemed asleep.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by userpay View Post
    Brazen blinks at the hug, then returns it with a chuckle, before resuming his walk. "Station still crashing then?" Brazen normally wouldn't want to be the one to spoil the mood but there would be much to do if that reactor didn't get fixed.
    Twilight returns Love's hug, though with considerably less energy. Still! First time being hugged by a princess and all. Happy lets out a little squeak when Love seizes her, but it turns into a grin when she's carried around like a foal. She joins in the cheering and adds. "And I'm going to bake everypony as many muffins as they can eat! It's a family recipe, you know."
    "Huh?" Love looks back at Brazen to only break the look when she does a 360 spin. "I don't know... I've been so busy controlling this drone." She keeps carrying around happy, but now without her personally cheering.

"Hm." She wonders. Wait, no, she stops herself. Happy doesn't like difficult questions. "Hey, Happy. Will you be my friend? It'd be fun if we could hang out more?"

24. - Top - End - #1434

"Status update from the engineers. They're going to be able to extend the station's orbit for another two days with what they have on-hoof. That'll give us time to get some expert repairs up here and keep the station in the sky. In the meantime, the Royal Guard has finally got more squads prepped and on the way. They're going to roll through and steamroll any remaining opposition." Star Chaser says.

Happy doesn't even hesitate but wraps Love in a big hug. "Yes! Of course I'll be your friend! I'll be everypony's friend! Even the grumpy pegasus." She grins sheepishly. "Besides, I'm going to be spending a lot more time down on the surface. I don't think this job is for me anymore."
    Last edited by Miltonian; 2017-09-05 at 12:20 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1435

"Roger that," Star Chaser responds, "Whew! I don't know about you, but this mare could use some coffee. And a nice, warm bed. Maybe some hot chocolate and a rom-com. Not that I'd last more than five minutes before I fell asleep, but it'd make for good background noise."
    "I hear that. I could sleep for the rest of the week," Rose replies. She then returns Love's hug and gets up to follow Brazen to the other room.

Rose checks on Chrysalis real quick, but tries not to disturb her. She addresses the changelings in the room. "Alright, we will need to transport her for evac back to the planet. She may have surrendered, but she still commands respect as a dangerous being."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Up close and asleep, she lacks some of the regal air she projected before. She looks smaller almost, older, frailer, and weaker. The words she spoke on the tape come back to them. "...almost a millennia and a half old." As legendary as the Elements of Harmony seem, among pony-kind only Celestia and Luna rival her age. Yet here she is, helpless for the moment and their prisoner.
    Sniper followed Brazen into the other room. He took in the sight of the defeated queen and the disoriented changelings but said nothing. The others had things well in hoof. Love was terrorizing the disoriented changelings. Brazen was taking control of the situation and Rose had everyone stabilized. From where he stood, things had turned out about as well as they possibly could.

He'd have to find some way to balance taking care of Diamond Hope while watching out for Chrysalis on the ride back home. He'd meant what he said. His offer hadn't been just a means of getting Twilight Sparkle back. Now he had to make good on it.

A simple conversation would probably be a good start. He didn't know when the last time Chrysalis had a conversation that didn't involve manipulation, attempts to reform her, or straight-up annoyances. But at least he could do provide that.

As morbid as it was, they both had one thing in common. They'd both traumatized the Elements in some fashion. He didn't want to think about that.

"Hey! Sniper Scope!" Rainbow Dash says, "I wanna rematch! And this time, I'm gonna kick your flank."
    She probably would. Not that he'd ever admit it. Still, he owed her that much after everything that had happened. And he deserved to have his face smashed in for everything he'd done.

He toggled the comm. again: "Rainbow Dash: When Applejack gives the okay, name the time and place and I'll be there."

There wasn't a lot of energy in his words. He was exhausted and felt every bit of it.

"Status update from the engineers. They're going to be able to extend the station's orbit for another two days with what they have on-hoof. That'll give us time to get some expert repairs up here and keep the station in the sky. In the meantime, the Royal Guard has finally got more squads prepped and on the way. They're going to roll through and steamroll any remaining opposition." Star Chaser says.

Happy doesn't even hesitate but wraps Love in a big hug. "Yes! Of course I'll be your friend! I'll be everypony's friend! Even the grumpy pegasus." She grins sheepishly. "Besides, I'm going to be spending a lot more time down on the surface. I don't think this job is for me anymore."
    "Glad to hear, Star."

Sniper gave Happy a nod of acknowledgement. Otherwise, he opted to remain silent. He'd help prep everyone for transport and then head back to the shuttle. As far as he was concerned, the mission was over and it was time to head home. He plucked on shell casing from his vest pocket and flicked it through the air. Where it landed wasn't important. It was there, which meant that he had been. That was enough.
    Last edited by D.KnightSpider; 2017-09-05 at 12:01 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1437

Within the hour, things on the station are wrapped up and Harrier Squad is loaded into the Firebird with Star Chaser at the helm. When Twilight enters, the other three Elements all crowd around her, cheering and laughing. For a moment, nothing else exists between them but each other. Then, they remember where they are. Rarity most of all, now restored to her 'not-quite divine but still leagues ahead of almost every other mare' looks. She tries to cover it up with a huff and proper smile.

The instant she spots Sniper, Diamond Hope runs up and wraps his foreleg in a hug. Not the kind that sends him into sensory overload, but the kind a child gives to an adult they hold dear in their hearts. Chrysalis is kept tied down to a stretcher, though she does not stir the entire flight. Regardless, Diamond sits far away from her.

Question Mark bows elegantly as Harrier Squad enters. "Capital job, the lot of you. Couldn't have done better myself." He offers Rose a hoof as she enters to support her three-legged gait. "Maybe we should stick closer together in the future, eh? We can get each other out of tight spots."

Common Sense stays separate from the group, for the most part. Anxiety is clear on her face and for good reason. She faces a very uncertain future. Even if she is acquitted of all wrongdoing, her career as a doctor is over.

Akilah manages to rouse himself out of bed, quietly congratulate the squad, and go right back to it.

Landing back at HQ is like coming home after years away. Will every mission be like this? Who can say. But for now, it is time for a quick debrief (run by a red-eyed and worn out Commander Wildcat), which ends in him swearing everypony not to reveal details of the mission until the princesses or the brass sees fit to, before he sends everypony off to their homes. Or in Rose's case, the infirmary. Not the military one. A note from Celestia whisks her away to the Royal Infirmary in the palace alongside Akilah, Star Chaser, and Diamond Hope. Question Mark is nowhere to be seen, but a note he left says that he has to drop by the Secret Service HQ, where they will have adequate facilities for his injuries too.

Home and rest are the foremost thoughts on everypony's mind, though perhaps a call to loved ones is in order first. Sniper's father would doubtless be proud and Seafire might still be up. Love is Love, and so does as she pleases. Each of the wounded team members are given their own rooms, though adjacent ones. And Diamond Hope is merely there for observation. Cadence keeps her company for the rest of night.

However, right before Rose can drop off to sleep, Red Tape slips into her room, dark circles under his eyes and mane pulled back into his accustomed pony-tail. "One last thing," he says, "Just a form so that I can get started on requisitioning a replacement cybernetic first thing tomorrow." After getting her signature, he yawns and rubs his eyes. "If...if you don't mind me saying, I don't think you're weak. Or a burden on the team. Oh Celestia, don't let me ramble. Right. To the point."

He takes a deep breath. "Rose Croix. You are a strong mare. And don't let anypony tell you otherwise. Now, get some rest." Walking a bit stiffly, he strides out of the room and leaves her to her thoughts.

(END MISSION ONE.)