Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 61
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    It is the 26th of Zavsis, one thousand, five hundred, sixty and nine years since the ascension of Radova. Age of Courage. It’s the afternoon and Mephtasis, jewel of the Orda, is utterly ignoring the slowly setting sun. You’ve come here as most do, hiking through the enormous tunnels connecting the Orda like a web to its busy center, and settled down pretty well. You’ve previously gotten yourself acquainted with the city’s shape and function: The Port district and its dockside, exchanging Azmarisian galleys for the red triangle sales of Illaian Merchantmen daily, surrounded by the majestic old sea wall. The great Meph for which the city is named, like a massive maw opening wide from the earth. The grandeur of the manor-houses and Azmarisian temples on the Hill District above the Meph. The colorful lantern-lit market below. It is to the latter of these districts that you’ve been called today, a recruiter clad in the steel and red-dyed chainlink of the Azmarisian order with a keen eye spotted you among the lot of mercenaries in your usual spot and half-requested half-ordered your presence in the Trade Consultations facility after a quick interview.

    A short walk and a few flights of stairs took you to a slightly ill-fitting facility of marble and red bricks built into the interior wall of the Meph. The entrance hall inside looked expensive and cleaned well, banners of the Axfar blade, symbol of Amaris’s uncontested power, bound by angel wings and a red crescent of fire draped from the walls. The recruiter took you through a series of smaller hallways, walking across various offices and storage rooms, each hallway guarded by a set of four fully armored guards of the Azmarisian Order. Finally, you arrived in a waiting area facing the door of one Inelia Sinderon, “Executive Trade Company Consultant, North Arcanis Division.”

    Along with the recruiter, with you in the waiting area are five other mercenaries, an Azmarisian soldier appearing to hurriedly fill out a report, and two men in merchant's’ garb passing time by competitively rolling a pair of dice. The recruiter reviews you six and asks for each of your names, recording them on a piece of parchment and scribbling little notes next to each name. The recruiter enters the office and closes the door behind her. You overhear the basics of a very brief and to-the-point conversation from inside the office and the frustrated joking of the merchants, complaining about some embargo on a North Josarian city-state. Eventually the recruiter exits the office and leaves the door slightly open. From inside you hear a tired, Arcanian accented voice call you, “I’m not going to bother pronouncing all of your names, if Fanra found you in some dirthole and offered you a mercenary contract please come inside my office.”

    The office’s interior is a bit better lit than the rest of the building, a slightly open window blind reveals this part of the facility juts out slightly from the exterior of the Meph and overlooks the cityscape below. The room is decorated with an assortment of wooden cabinets, chests, and two large maps (one of the known Orda, another of the Arcanis region). In the middle of the room Inelia Sinderon is sitting by a desk looking over the parchment given to her by the recruiter. The desk is overflowing with various papers and parchments, an intricate Axfar blade buried beneath the paperwork. Inelia’s hair is dyed slightly red in the front, emulating the popularized color of the hair of Azmar himself, her expression looks exhausted but inquisitive, she’s wearing a light suit of Azmarisian armor on her torso but it seems like the leg and hand guards are haphazardly mounted on a shelf behind her and beneath the armor she is wearing a comfortable plain uniform.

    “I’m sure you’re all a little confused why you’re in the office of a Trade Company Consultant,” she says and takes a short pause while scribbling, “I’d give you the full job description, but let’s just say my own job isn’t so much expediting shipments and maintaining route regulation as obsessively checking for the presence of a set of a few key individuals.” She eyes the six of you and puts the recruiter’s parchment to the side. “From Farna’s notes I’m assuming I’ve got the right kind of people, and by the grace of Lord Azmar I think I can match your backgrounds to the right kind of pay. Tell me, to which extent have any of you interacted with the mage families of this region?”



    Hey all, since its the first post of the thread we'll drop in a few useful links:

    Not sure if we've mentioned it before, but dice rolls will be handled in this thread, just keep them under a spoiler tag with the roll name.

    Lets get this game started and hope for a successful campaign!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2011

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Fallar stood at attention to respond, and replied:
    "Nothing significant ma'am. Just breaking up the occasional drunken fight from one of their younger members out for a good time. "
    Last edited by zlefin; 2017-06-28 at 10:18 AM.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

    A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

    An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kvard51's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Looking around the office with a mixture of awe and distrust, Bram turned at the womans question. "Ah think ah worked wi' yin o` yer mages oan a jab up north aboot a year ago. He didnae mak' it oot."
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

    Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Hamste's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Eren covered his mouth trying to hold in the yawn. A sleeping sloth rides on the back of his robes, its long claws digging holes into the fabric.
    I know a bit about them. I might have met one at the Rentasis academy but didn't bother asking. Eren says. He absentmindedly looks at the maps seeing if they held any interesting information on them. He was much more curious about the paperwork on the desk but he couldn't look at it with everyone there.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Here are some knowledge rolls, not sure which one applies.
    (1d20+9)[28] knowledge nobility
    (1d20+10)[30] knowledge arcana

    Avatar created by Elder Tsofu

    Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Vos Derrens
    "I'm fairly new to the area and, let's be honest here, not exactly well-connected", the plate-clad 30-something man answers. He runs his hands through his hair, slicked back with sweat. "But i know the language of people in power".

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kvard51 View Post
    Looking around the office with a mixture of awe and distrust, Bram turned at the womans question. "Ah think ah worked wi' yin o` yer mages oan a jab up north aboot a year ago. He didnae mak' it oot."
    Inelia looks confused as you speak. You detect she might be listening along trying to piece together a sentence but failing at her attempt.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    Eren covered his mouth trying to hold in the yawn. A sleeping sloth rides on the back of his robes, its long claws digging holes into the fabric.
    I know a bit about them. I might have met one at the Rentasis academy but didn't bother asking. Eren says. He absentmindedly looks at the maps seeing if they held any interesting information on them. He was much more curious about the paperwork on the desk but he couldn't look at it with everyone there.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Here are some knowledge rolls, not sure which one applies.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Despite your mostly dismissing the question, your time at Rentasis has yielded you a fairly extensive knowledge of the mage families of the Orda. You know these families run the show as far as the synthesis between magic, politics, and wealth-making goes. Families are constructed of a few hundred or up to a thousand members, mostly descended from or adopted by a shared "ancestor", who benefit from both the correlation between offspring magical and talent and parental magical talent and the networking and wealth that having mage family members provides. Families are cohered around a central leadership from either the most elderly or most talented of the Family and break apart when no such coherence exists. In regards to the mage families of this area, you've met a few of their more wayfaring members yourself. You remember a tall Arcanisian mage by the name of Efar Ovyan came as a guest lecturer to Rentasis and spoke about using Spirits from the Sylvan Realm in aid of grafting different plants. You also remember a wayfaring mage by the name of Simaf Durin got drunk with some folks in the academy and famously started singing insurrectionist songs criticizing Azmar.



    Eren's glance at the maps doesn't reveal anything particularly epiphany-inducing. He thinks the area around Rentasis on the global map is drawn a bit off, probably a West Amarisian cartographer exaggerating the aridity of the East out of some odd geographic pride. A glance at the map of Arcanis curiously reveals how the area around Mephtasis is far more dense with city-indicating dots than the mostly agricultural and rural north.

    Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Vos Derrens
    "I'm fairly new to the area and, let's be honest here, not exactly well-connected", the plate-clad 30-something man answers. He runs his hands through his hair, slicked back with sweat. "But i know the language of people in power".
    "Well it's good to know that you can comprehend my instructions well," Inelia jokes. "Vague preludes aside, as I was saying: my work, the "consulting", is more of an active and constant war against members of these families. In particular, the individuals I'm tracking are those loyal to the Arcana Reze Cambris. In case you're not privy to aristocratic conspiracies or bureaucratic grumbling, the A.R.C in short has been attempting to fight against and overthrow the Azmarisian regime for hundreds of years. Every war Azmar fought, every rebellion the Order had to put down, in the end we've found the A.R.C's mark on all of them. My job is to use the avenue of Trade Companies Consultation to document the operations of this organization. Excuse my apparent smugness but I do believe I do this work well and in my relatively short occupation of this role I've built up a fair system of sources which, before you ask, will remain anonymous. These sources have indicated a connection between the Arcana Reze Cambris and the arcane noble House of Amardan. What I do not have is proof of this connection, something I can actively use in persecuting the Amardans. This is where you come in."

    Inelia reaches into a drawer at her desk and produces an intricate map of the Market District of Mephtasis. She takes a small metallic writing instrument and hovers it above the map, searching for a certain spot. After a few seconds she puts the instrument down upon a spot located about halfway between the main road and the cave wall. "Right here where I indicate is a small warehouse facility used by House Amardan's private trade company, managed in Mephtasis by a family member by the name of Sengar, nominally as a storage space for the goods they ship from the Eysa valley to Mephtasis. I would send you to a more major facility but my hunch is that if bad practices and incriminating documents are to be found, they're going to be somewhere the Amardans aren't hoping to attract attention. Discreetness is preferred, however I am hiring you to survey the facility for incriminating evidence of Amardan connection to the Arcana Reze Cambris and collect it by any means necessary. Questions?"
    Last edited by Xenoposeidon; 2017-06-29 at 12:36 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)


    The repetitive and familiar groan of the wagon's wheels as they bit and spat up dirt in their ceaseless turning was the only real noise consistent on the long journey to Mephtasis. It had been the worst kind of trip, quiet and uneventful. The glorious Xoriafic Empire didn't employ her to idle away on the road doing nothing but watch the rough outline of expansive tunnels or Azmarisian-livestock graze. She had put great stock in the assumption that Inelia would have something worthwhile, she hadn't intended to take on work in the area since the last time she'd made the trek. It had been a toilsome week long chase before finally apprehending the man, a vicious magician with a penchant for vile curses that would make even grown men squirm. It was a violent charade that had stolen all her bluster, she'd made a personal promise not to repeat the encounter - even hoping to keep her distance completely from the Azmarisian mages who might call the lands about the Meph home. Those were concerns she had to put aside, the potential of this singular task was not lost on her and at the very least having a meeting with a bureaucrat of Azmaris was worth the effort. After all, this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

    The bronzed-skinned woman laid back, rein's in hand, on the soft bed of moss which covered the top of her would-be 'home'. It was a large roofed carriage of aged, but well maintained solid oak and foreign timber. While the wheels groaned from many miles of ware, they were solidly built, with exceptional metalwork and supports acting to alleviate the rough bumps and jeering from the stones, rocks and holes one might expect to find during long days of travel. Her feet lay in the driver's seat while the rest of her remained firmly planted on the roof above. The sight of the city always left quite the impression, as much as one would expect from the capital of the Azmaris Empire and virtually the center of the civilized world. Yet, as the roar and clamor of a thousand-thousand voices cam pouring into her ears, she couldn't help but feel out of place. It was hard not to miss the conviction, and lock-step unity of the militant peoples of the fatherland. Despite the current conditions one had to truly question the future relations between Azmaris and the GXE. Allies, or rivals? No doubt there were men of power who felt differently than the public in their embrace of the long-standing peace. Peace... Was this peace, or the calm before calamity? Nothing could last forever, and it felt as if the world was just held in tense silence; holding its breath.

    Though she doubted becoming lost, she took a few laps about the various parts of the city to cement her bearings. Though the sun had begun to dip low, and only cresting light remained to set fire to the skyline, the citizens and merchants seemed to hardly notice. They were all such busy bee's... busy little bee's. The night waited for no man, she wondered how these foolish men would fair stumbling back with their wares under the pitch shroud of night. Or had they some means of providing adequate illumination throughout the city? Even with magic that was no easy feat, and personal light hardly equated for much, nor did it ward against the ill intentions of some common criminal with dreadful designs. It was true that she knew far less of the city off-handedly than she might have liked; her duties often found her amongst less civilized company and not for any extended periods of time. The place was curious to be sure, but her responsibilities and profession were not inherently related to the matters of urban exploration. There would be another time for that.

    It was a short venture back to the market district, now filled with various colors; the assortment of lamps set about drawing her interest. The devices were far more pronounced here, than the other holdings throughout the city. She had been standing atop her wagon, hand-to-chin, with only perhaps 3-inches separating her nose from the device when the recruiter's voice finally caught her attention. Her gaze briefly lingered upon him with raised brow before dismounting with a graceful tumble. Rather than approach, she instead opened the door to her wagon and stepped inside.

    The shrill whistle of the coffee pot was the first thing to catch her attention, she'd put on thing and had completely forgotten about it in her quest to unravel the lantern's functions. Extinguishing the flame, she poured two flasks and two vials full, just to be sure she had enough. The interior was far more lavish than the exterior might have hinted. Lush rugs and lavishly carved furniture sat about to furnish the room. Gilded scrollwork and other such finery commonly lay placed upon most of the items contained within, giving the place the appearance and feel of an office. Everything was placed intentionally, and no loose bits floated about unintentionally. With a casual hand, she took her quiver off the wall and slung it before retrieving her cloak off he exceptionally large armchair and donning that with a spinning gesture. Picking up her traveling bag from besides her chair she checked her materials, as a professional, she wouldn't be caught unawares even when visiting an associate. Quickly going about, she picked out various bits from the cabinets and chests packing a few extra things into her bag just on case.

    When she was finished she turned back towards the door, pulling her unstrung bow from a flowerpot next to the exit. With quick rehearsed motions she restrung the weapon and existed the vehicle, sure to lock the door and secure her boat mounted upon it's side before making her way towards the direction the man had been. The Trade Consultations firm was far more insightful than she would have thought. Well armed men every which way, they didn't look like the type who could blow the building into scrap with a pinch of sulfur and phrase, but still fairly capable. There was no rush, nor pressing concern, the matter of this business was even open to debate until proven otherwise - she couldn't even resume normal duties and take on requests until she spent another week putting down miles between herself and this territory... so she walked in the back of the group. As they went, she poked her head into rooms, walked off the beaten path, looked over the shoulder of men filing reports and slowly managed to catch up with her escort. By the time she reached the lobby where the other five vagrants waited, she had an open flask in hand and a borrowed parchment filled with gibberish of no particular importance. She crumbled it and tossed it into an unoccupied room next door before rejoining her compatriots; You couldn't stop a Xoriafic-Inquisitor from trying.

    Rather than finding herself a seat, she leaned against a wall and produced a well polished tin case. Moving over towards a table, she pulled out various seasonings and spices, along with a powdered creamer and added them to the flask. A quick stir with a small metal rod and sip, her face brightened visibly with a barely contained smile. A mouthful of roasted cinnamon, over a dash of vanilla and a little nutmeg with enough cane-sugar to chew on, gave her the best kind of toothache. The business disputes between the merchants and their would-be sponsor drew very little interest, but she made of mental note of it nonetheless. Their business went on for a time, so she set herself to her next little project. The call for her and 'the merry band' to enter all at once made her visibly frown, the prospects of this endeavor were quickly being called into question a little too quickly. Either she'd be recruited as some faceless monkey, or worse, she'd been recruited individually with a bunch of equally foolish vagrants to jointly die together in some venture both too dangerous and clandestine to allow their regular forces to undertake it... But right now, she was halfway in the middle of cutting a small piece of tobacco to size with a razor. After a moment, letting the others enter, she picked up her things to follow behind - they didn't need to see how she'd cutup the tabletop during her shenanigans.

    Before she entered, she snapped her fingers, magical energy surging into her mind. She could feel the pulse of tangling electricity work its way up into her face, changing her eye color from a deep emerald to a light pastel green. Her second spell followed closely after, as she entered the room. Her gaze quickly moved about as she stepped off to the side instead of making her way in front of the desk. She shaved bit off the tobacco as she rolled it, letting the excess fall to the floor haphazardly. Her eyes darted around the exterior of the room as she slowly stalked about looking at each and every individual item left out or left within reach, her augmented senses prying and pervading her environment. Her sweep for magical devices, writings and enchantments concluded as the others had said whatever they had to say. She'd finished rolling the tobacco and had now begun to trim the ends before producing a pre-cut bit of pleasant-smelling rice paper. "So that's what it sounds like... A dwarf speaking Amarisian, I mean. Quite... educational." Her voice was monotone and devoid of any sound which might hint at the implications she had just thrown out in the middle of the room like a rotting fish, but her gaze and attention seemed solely focused on carefully and tightly applying the paper to the exterior of the tobacco even as she firmly placed her rear atop the corner of minister Inelia's desk after she finished speaking.

    The crinkle of documents and reports was audible as she shifted her weight, but it was nearly impossible to tell if she was simply oblivious or if there was some hidden slight buried beneath the gesture. Carefully she licked the edge of the paper then sealed it with a dab of blended paraffin wax. She didn't look at any one in particular, but seemed to just be just be speaking aloud. "The dwarf said he believes he worked with one of your mages on a job in the north, but he didn't survive the encounter." Briefly she dug in her vest and produced a book of matches as she placed the improvised cigarette sized bit of tobacco in her mouth. Her voice with mirthless and lacking emotion, her words directed at the minister, "Thank you ma'am, for providing the context to this particular assignment... but to answer your question..." She pulled out a tindertwig and struck it off the desk igniting the alchemic match and lighting the end of the narrow cigar. "Yes, I've dealt with Azmarisian mages, and their families on a small number of occasions, I assure you - none of which were pleasant experiences. So, it's easy to understand your position and why you'd require unaffiliated persons for this sensitive matter. I can't say I disagree with this policy of non-repudiation. If a kite gets tangled, you cut it loose..." After a pause, she took a long draw and exhaled smoke from her nostrils. "The question becomes this, 'are we autonomous' - do we operate on our own rules reporting indirectly and receiving instructions in similar fashion? Or do you expect us to ever come back in this office again, and get you killed? Believe me, when they start finding bodies, there will be repercussions - and the last Azmarisian magician I tracked killed three of my companions alone before we brought him to justice." She continued to speak indirectly, with her back faced towards the woman, even as she tapped her ashes off the side of the desk and onto the floor. "We can try to be as quiet as possible, but the men... and women, in this room aren't exactly a team of softfooted-thieves. They will likely catch at least some of us, and there will be bloodshed. If the documents are where you think they are, they will likely be hard-won from men uninterested in notions of parley. So how are we to proceed after the blows have fallen, if any of us still live? Whoever these documents are provided to will be every bit as much at risk as us. If you intend to simply have us hand them to you directly, you might as well join the venture there, because the men outside your door will likely put iron in your back if the charges you are suggesting against the Reze Cambris has any validity at all. It would hardly be a leap at that point to believe that the aristocratic agents with loyalty to the A.R.C. have not already placed key persons within Azmaris's bureaucratic 'arms', at least for observational purposes at this point. They've managed to remain elusive for the last few centuries and yet initiate or facilitate nearly every major conflict in Azmarisian history? Forgive me, but that is not coincidence. Regardless if you can prove these charges or not, you have to move forward under the assumption that not everyone is on your side, especially in conflicts which have been allowed to fester for this long. As an Inquisitor and loyal subject of the GXE, I can say we know how to crush violent uprisings and smoke out cancerous rebels quite efficiently. For now, for your own safety, I would assume the Trade Ministry has already been infiltrated by all these... concessions granted by the hegemony, until proven otherwise or until the charges against the Reze Cambris are substantiated."

    Rising off the desk, she turned about to face the woman, she bit down on the cigar as she picked up the map off the desk to examine it closer. "The charges you have raised against the Arcana Reze Cambris are extraordinary and severe. I imagine any persons deemed guilty of associating with this organization, if indeed responsible, will be put to death as traitors..." She brought the map closer to her face, trying to make out if the thing was penned, pressed or fashioned by some other means. "As representative of the glorious Gamsu-Xoriafic Empire, I will not allow for such significant threat to our closest allies, to stand uncontested and uninvestigated. You have my word, I will work tirelessly to uncover the truth of these charges in defense of Azmaris and her citizens." The entirety of her words had been bland, emotionless and devoid of attachment, spoken at all times while occupied with something else. Even her speech, which... might have been grand if given with some effort. Yet, instead it was spoken with face buried behind a map and with the conviction of a man reading from note cards.

    After a moment of pause, she looked up from the paper with a childish grin. "...I'm gonna borrow this." It was the first words she'd spoken with color. A sing-song voice like a mischievous adolescent.


    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    ⯎ Cast Detect Magic - Identifying sources/objects of magical significance inside the room or within 60-ft as she walks the parameter.
    ⯎ Cast Read Magic - Looking for any magical writing about the room which can be read. She doesn't read it, only attempting to identify the writing.


    Last edited by Mornings; 2017-06-29 at 02:18 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2011

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Fallar stands and starts to ask a question; but pauses as the Inquisitor speaks, and sits back down to think as she continues; he begins to pale and look quite worried.
    He gets out his notebook and takes some notes.


    Then he stands to ask, still clearly quite worried and uncertain.
    "Timeframe for the assignment? and is our employment to be fully secret then?"


    Spoiler: Actions taken
    Show

    Using Sense motive to determine if Inelia is telling the truth, or if there's something more/different to the situation. my roll has +9 (including the +2 for favored enemy human, as I'm assuming Inelia is human)
    Using knowledge local to check whether Azmarisian law or official policy blames ARC;
    and if not, whether it's a common conspiracy theory to blame ARC. my roll is +10
    leaving the rolls for you since I shouldn't know whether I rolled high or low.
    Last edited by zlefin; 2017-06-29 at 08:49 AM.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

    A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

    An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Inelia looks unphased by Yelena's so-called speech. She waits for her to finish before responding in a stern, yet calm voice:
    "Evidently you misunderstand the position of the conflict at hand. Your duty is, as mercenary contracts of my office, to march on a minor offensive against members of the ARC. You will not be tying your actions to my office. If you do, however, and if it so happens the ARC receives reports of my involvement in the operation, I will be quite fine. To restate my previous introduction in different words, Azmaris has been practically at war with the ARC for hundreds of years. However, Azmaris has never lost a war. Perhaps you, Easterner, are not aware of the nature of my order. We have more men. We have more armor. If the ARC attacks me, I will be replaced and my department will be given additional funding. If I attack the ARC, I get a pay raise."
    Inelia smirks as she finishes her retaliation: "Don't forget, Vengeance is on our side."
    She turns to Fallar: "As for your concerns, you had guessed correctly. Due to the intricacies of your task, I could not afford using any official means to proceed my investigation. This means that any connection between you and my office, and by extent - to myself, is a complete secret. As for the time scale of this operation; I expect results within a month. Should you fail in finding evidence by that time, we will have another meeting where we will discuss the terms of your continued employment."

    Spoiler: Yelena
    Show
    Outside from some of the other mercenaries' possesions, the Axfar on the table is the only magical item you can spot, it has a faint, red aura which you identify as a weak offensive enchantment.


    Spoiler: Fallar
    Show
    The way Inelia finishes some of her sentences, almost as if snatching herself right before saying something, and the small breaks in between her words make you feel as though she is not telling you the whole truth.
    ARC activity is strictly banned within Azmaris - and through the Dyctus, within most of the civilized world, and has been for centuries. But still, many of the mage families associate with the organization.
    Last edited by Norielbit; 2017-06-29 at 03:11 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    ======] Yuna Serblias [=====







    Yuna hated working in this city, she was not fond of getting hired by the Hegemony but money was money and she wouldn't turn down a job right now. It hadn't come as a surprise to her when she had received the request, she knew that eventually she would get hired again by the Azmarian Order as the past jobs she had done for them went really well. The best part was that she always sent a hefty portion of the money back to The Republic of Dyensis to help them with whatever problems the Hegemony was causing at the time. It was most likely the only reason why she could even get away with being able to return home while also working for the "Enemy". Needless to say though it appeared to be time for some more work, and the lot that got picked this time for the job seemed like an odd bunch. Listening to everyone giving their names to the recruiter Yuna smiles and only presents him with her first name, it is a practice she had done since she started working as a mercenary as it kept any unsavory clients or targets from being able to go after her loved ones.

    Entering the office she takes a look around while Inelia explained some of what the job would entail. At the mention that they would be dealing with mages she couldn't help but feel her heart drop. She had run ins with some mages in the past and had even been hired once to try and take one out, that had ended up being a fairly difficult job that she had only managed to accomplish thanks to having acquired her Mantis Lemmy . Lemmy was her pride and joy, the moment she had seen him she knew that he would be an irreplaceable companion no matter what sort of job she got hired for. He was unlike most other Giant Mantis, his carapace was a burnt orange as well as tougher than most other, he also had mutated slightly to have an extra set of claws on his front legs allowing him to perform better in combat. Overall it seemed like he was made to fight and she had made sure to equip him with some of the best Barding that her money could buy.

    Listening to the others speak of their interactions with the mage families in the region she decided to toss her two pieces into the mix, "Ive done some wet work against a mage before, if that is what is needed then hopefully i can use a similar tactic as i had the last time the Hegemony hired me to deal with one."






    Leaning back against the wall next to the door she again took in the sight of the other mercenaries that had been gathered. To her eyes few seemed to understand exactly what was being asked of them, it seemed though that the one known as Yelena had quite a mind and knew exactly what the job could end up becoming as well as how difficult it would be. Hearing Yelena speak about she would work tirelessly to uncover the truth of the charges gave Yuna goose bumps, she wordlessly prayed that no one tried to pry into her past as she had at one point worked against the Hegemony. She hoped that it would never come to light because as soon as it did she would most likely be executed immediately.

    Hearing that they had to keep the connections to this office secret seemed like a reasonable request, she had done such before when working for the Hegemony and she always expected them to make that one of the terms of the contract. A months timeframe to get information on members of ARC, that did not sit well with her. Dealing with mages is always tricky business, they tend to be pretty good at protecting their property as well as covering up any tracks or traces of any misdoings that they are involved in. Deciding to bring up the one detail that noone had mentioned yet Yuna spoke up again while putting on her best smile, "So if i am to get this straight we have a Month to get you your information on the connection between ARC and House Amardan, while also keeping your name out of it? Seems simple enough, I have still yet to hear how much you will be paying us for this contract. I do have my own rates that i normally charge if you would like me to give them to you they deal with several scenarios and can cause the final price to fluctuate slightly depends on your choice for them, I also normally require at least Half the payment to be upfront. I do hope that getting half upfront won't be an issue?"






    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Perception for checking out the Party (1d20+9)[16]

    Diplomacy to try and make her like me more (1d20+9)[23]

    Sense Motive to gauge her reaction to my mention of payment and rates (1d20+7)[11]

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Hamste's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Eren looked at the woman strangely when she repeated what the dwarf had said before going back to studying the map. The accent was thick sure but it was no Orkhish and he couldn't imagine someone not understanding it. There was no harm to her repeating it so he refrained from commenting on it.

    How many how large the operation of the warehousing facility is? Also do you know any names of members of A.R.C. and A.R.C.'s general numbers? Eren says scratching behind his sloth's ear. The sloth had awoken when the tobacco had been lit but after sniffing a few times it had went back to sleep.


    Spoiler
    Show

    Figure I should check to see how much I know about ARC, again not sure which so will roll two.

    (1d20+9)[26] local
    (1d20+10)[23] arcana

    Mostly for the fun of it, Eren is going to try to use his knowledge geography to try to figure out how Arcanis gets its food for its cities.

    (1d20+9)[19] geography

    Avatar created by Elder Tsofu

    Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    "Yes, right -mercenary, of course." She mumbled the words out of the side of her mouth almost dismissively as she finished rolling the map and stuffing it in her vest's inside pocket. Turning on a heal, she begun to make her way towards the window as the others spoke. Poking her head out the window, she gestured with a pointed finger behind herself as the woman put forth the one question no one bothered asking. At the point which she herself responded, she was talking out the window trying to look at the exterior of the building around the window "....And that is a perfectly valid question. That is the rational of an experienced mercenary. Leaving half in the care of another..." She spoke with some difficulty, why stretching her arm out the window and moving a small magnetic stone around the exterior perimeter of the window to determine if there was any manner of metal or lead lining on the outward facing walls of the building. ...Well, that's... just smart business sense. After finishing the sweep she pulled herself back into the room properly. "After all, deadmen own nothing." Making a mental note of the results she turned about.

    "I think that's plenty of mercenary talk to return back to the matter at hand, don't you?" Digging into her seemingly densely populated utility belt of sorts, she recovered a semi-large marble of twisting and prismatic patterned glass. The shape was exceptionally smooth and perfectly round. Moving back towards the minister's desk, she got on her knees and begun looking at.. something. She spoke while looking carefully at the joints, rivets, feet and distinguishing markings upon the desk in thorough detail. "Now as a professional.... mercenary, employed for the purposes of investigation, humor my lengthy deductions: The concern regarding the disclosure of potential business relations between this office and a potential contract of employment for the persons currently present, is not a concern. It's unlikely that the enemy in question has the resources in place to perform both regular capture & interrogation tactics employed by the regular law enforcement arms of the hegemony, while under attack and constant harassment; unless of course, our own presently standing law faculties are corrupt by association, which in the hypothetical is also a possibility - Meaning, no one is going to be left squawking to some would-be Azmarisian Inquisitor about their associations, because the enemy would be likely more interested in just beating us to death and throwing us in the harbor. The charges in question are also too fantastical to be taken in their entirety at face-value by the regular court, which I imagine might have contributed to the existence of this office and how the empire is choosing to deal with the Reze Camrbis." After checking the desk, she shoved documents and papers aside to make a clear place upon its surface where she carefully placed the marble. Keeping her eyes level with the desk, she looked for any signs of a wobble, roll or shift in direction.

    "...For.. example..." She squinted intensely looking at the small glass bead "Imagine a small organization of evokers formed, hm, two-hundred years ago. Dedicated solely towards the destruction of the hegemony. Even if these magicians were completely unassociated with the magical aristocracy which form the elite echelons of society, they would still be looking to find a manner to secure their position and not be crushed into dust. How would they do this? Quite simple. You start with families..." After observing the marble, she picked it up and stored it back on her belt. Closing one eye, she bent over and pressed the side of her face against the floor. "Like any good criminal, one thing stands out above the rest. Coercion is a powerful tool; and it snowballs out of control at exponential rates. You ransom the children of the minster of defense, to threaten the regular civil defense officers, judicial representatives, etc; begin paying others to reward compliance and viciously punish those who dissent. That would be the beginnings of an archetypical criminal empire except they would be working towards crushing the empire internally, and it wouldn't take a century to accomplish it. Instead in reality, we have something potentially far more sinister. At least as far as implications go." Moving towards a different location, she pressed her face against the floor again with one eye closed, after a few moments she moved along and knocked on the floor lightly in various places. "In this particular circumstance, the organization in question does associate with the same body which represents the pinnacle of society, assuming the documents at this location prove valid... and the operations with which they are associated are attacks via proxy, which is fairly intelligent, but not creative or new in the slightest. Sowing the seeds of dissent and rebellion to lead into open uprisings has been the theme of many such groups sympatric to Josarian repartee and liberal rhetoric, and they're dealt with swiftly and uncompromisingly - while the means and methods employed might diverge, if the objectives were still aligned I imagine they would have been eliminated long ago. Yet, here we are, with an investigation in its infancy against a threat centuries in the making. Putting it simply, they could not have lasted this long alone. Also..."

    Standing from the floor she took another slow visual sweep of the office, beginning with the ceiling, corners, walls, floors. "If the investigation against the Reze Cambris, an organization labeled as an enemy of the empire, has only come this far in gods know how long - it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say you are the first minister in that seat to actually attempt to take down these degenerates. Likewise, if you were to disappear because we were physically being monitored after our offensive against the A.R.C. it is almost certain the individual who filled your position would be much like all those before you, and another century will pass before someone capable is willing to fight once again. Ma'am, you place far too little value in yourself - but I suppose we should be getting started soon." Her words were once again the same bland tone, but the series of implications laid down were not insubstantial in the slightest. Though spoken in other words, she'd voiced potential circumstances of corruption, negligence and hints of espionage all without the slightest trace of concern or acknowledgment to those around her; pre-occupied with other tasks.

    Spoiler: Office Investigation
    Show

    ⯑ Is there metal lining or gilding within or upon the exterior of the walls of the building, as detected by a strong magnet (How thick are they)
    ⯑ Is the trade minister's desk made of wood. Do all feet of the desk sit flush and squarely upon the ground without gaps. Do any parts of the desk look faded, scratched, cut or altered in any way.
    ⯑ Does the marble roll off the table suggesting the room is uneven
    ⯑ Does Yelena notice placements where the floor is not completely flat, but uneven, depressed or bulging - is the floor covered by rug, carpet or other furnishing. Is it completely wood or other material.
    ⯑ While knocking on the floor, are there any places which sound different; hollow, dense, echo, etc
    ⯎ Perception: General Perception on anything out of place within the office (1d20+2)[22]
    ⯎ Detect Magic / Read Magic - Active


  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mornings View Post

    "If the investigation against the Reze Cambris, an organization labeled as an enemy of the empire, has only come this far in gods know how long - it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say you are the first minister in that seat to actually attempt to take down these degenerates. Likewise, if you were to disappear because we were physically being monitored after our offensive against the A.R.C. it is almost certain the individual who filled your position would be much like all those before you, and another century will pass before someone capable is willing to fight once again. Ma'am, you place far too little value in yourself - but I suppose we should be getting started soon."
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    "I agree", Vos picks up her sentence. "Very few people are completely replaceable, and you don't strike me as one of them".

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    OOC: For the sake of a rational flow of events we'll assume the following progression a little reverse of the posting order.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mornings View Post
    "Yes, right -mercenary, of course." She mumbled the words out of the side of her mouth almost dismissively as she finished rolling the map and stuffing it in her vest's inside pocket. Turning on a heal, she begun to make her way towards the window as the others spoke. Poking her head out the window, she gestured with a pointed finger behind herself as the woman put forth the one question no one bothered asking. At the point which she herself responded, she was talking out the window trying to look at the exterior of the building around the window "....And that is a perfectly valid question. That is the rational of an experienced mercenary. Leaving half in the care of another..." She spoke with some difficulty, why stretching her arm out the window and moving a small magnetic stone around the exterior perimeter of the window to determine if there was any manner of metal or lead lining on the outward facing walls of the building. ...Well, that's... just smart business sense. After finishing the sweep she pulled herself back into the room properly. "After all, deadmen own nothing." Making a mental note of the results she turned about.

    "I think that's plenty of mercenary talk to return back to the matter at hand, don't you?" Digging into her seemingly densely populated utility belt of sorts, she recovered a semi-large marble of twisting and prismatic patterned glass. The shape was exceptionally smooth and perfectly round. Moving back towards the minister's desk, she got on her knees and begun looking at.. something. She spoke while looking carefully at the joints, rivets, feet and distinguishing markings upon the desk in thorough detail. "Now as a professional.... mercenary, employed for the purposes of investigation, humor my lengthy deductions: The concern regarding the disclosure of potential business relations between this office and a potential contract of employment for the persons currently present, is not a concern. It's unlikely that the enemy in question has the resources in place to perform both regular capture & interrogation tactics employed by the regular law enforcement arms of the hegemony, while under attack and constant harassment; unless of course, our own presently standing law faculties are corrupt by association, which in the hypothetical is also a possibility - Meaning, no one is going to be left squawking to some would-be Azmarisian Inquisitor about their associations, because the enemy would be likely more interested in just beating us to death and throwing us in the harbor. The charges in question are also too fantastical to be taken in their entirety at face-value by the regular court, which I imagine might have contributed to the existence of this office and how the empire is choosing to deal with the Reze Camrbis." After checking the desk, she shoved documents and papers aside to make a clear place upon its surface where she carefully placed the marble. Keeping her eyes level with the desk, she looked for any signs of a wobble, roll or shift in direction.

    "...For.. example..." She squinted intensely looking at the small glass bead "Imagine a small organization of evokers formed, hm, two-hundred years ago. Dedicated solely towards the destruction of the hegemony. Even if these magicians were completely unassociated with the magical aristocracy which form the elite echelons of society, they would still be looking to find a manner to secure their position and not be crushed into dust. How would they do this? Quite simple. You start with families..." After observing the marble, she picked it up and stored it back on her belt. Closing one eye, she bent over and pressed the side of her face against the floor. "Like any good criminal, one thing stands out above the rest. Coercion is a powerful tool; and it snowballs out of control at exponential rates. You ransom the children of the minster of defense, to threaten the regular civil defense officers, judicial representatives, etc; begin paying others to reward compliance and viciously punish those who dissent. That would be the beginnings of an archetypical criminal empire except they would be working towards crushing the empire internally, and it wouldn't take a century to accomplish it. Instead in reality, we have something potentially far more sinister. At least as far as implications go." Moving towards a different location, she pressed her face against the floor again with one eye closed, after a few moments she moved along and knocked on the floor lightly in various places. "In this particular circumstance, the organization in question does associate with the same body which represents the pinnacle of society, assuming the documents at this location prove valid... and the operations with which they are associated are attacks via proxy, which is fairly intelligent, but not creative or new in the slightest. Sowing the seeds of dissent and rebellion to lead into open uprisings has been the theme of many such groups sympatric to Josarian repartee and liberal rhetoric, and they're dealt with swiftly and uncompromisingly - while the means and methods employed might diverge, if the objectives were still aligned I imagine they would have been eliminated long ago. Yet, here we are, with an investigation in its infancy against a threat centuries in the making. Putting it simply, they could not have lasted this long alone. Also..."

    Standing from the floor she took another slow visual sweep of the office, beginning with the ceiling, corners, walls, floors. "If the investigation against the Reze Cambris, an organization labeled as an enemy of the empire, has only come this far in gods know how long - it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say you are the first minister in that seat to actually attempt to take down these degenerates. Likewise, if you were to disappear because we were physically being monitored after our offensive against the A.R.C. it is almost certain the individual who filled your position would be much like all those before you, and another century will pass before someone capable is willing to fight once again. Ma'am, you place far too little value in yourself - but I suppose we should be getting started soon." Her words were once again the same bland tone, but the series of implications laid down were not insubstantial in the slightest. Though spoken in other words, she'd voiced potential circumstances of corruption, negligence and hints of espionage all without the slightest trace of concern or acknowledgment to those around her; pre-occupied with other tasks.

    Spoiler: Office Investigation
    Show

    ⯑ Is there metal lining or gilding within or upon the exterior of the walls of the building, as detected by a strong magnet (How thick are they)
    ⯑ Is the trade minister's desk made of wood. Do all feet of the desk sit flush and squarely upon the ground without gaps. Do any parts of the desk look faded, scratched, cut or altered in any way.
    ⯑ Does the marble roll off the table suggesting the room is uneven
    ⯑ Does Yelena notice placements where the floor is not completely flat, but uneven, depressed or bulging - is the floor covered by rug, carpet or other furnishing. Is it completely wood or other material.
    ⯑ While knocking on the floor, are there any places which sound different; hollow, dense, echo, etc
    ⯎ Perception: General Perception on anything out of place within the office [roll0]
    ⯎ Detect Magic / Read Magic - Active

    Inelia takes in Yelena's words and blinks twice. "I apologize, it appears I must clarify the history a bit. We've arrested and killed thousands of these guys over the years, you six will not be the first or the last soldiers deployed in this war," she says and eyes the glass marble. "I am not sending you to attack a fortress. I am sending you to weed out rats. Some fairly dangerous ones, granted."

    Spoiler
    Show


    Yelena's keen eye detects that despite Inelia's aloofness she seems to be concealing a deeper layer of concern and seriousness. She's speaking fast and hurrying you forward, yet she doesn't seem to you like the type to be easily neglectful.



    After a brief pause she looks up at you and smiles. "I'm single and a bastard, by the way, thanks for asking. My condolences to the other ministers."

    Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    "I agree", Vos picks up her sentence. "Very few people are completely replaceable, and you don't strike me as one of them".
    "Well I thank you for the compliment, if that's what it is."

    Spoiler
    Show


    You do believe that metallic linings might be added to the otherwise stone walls, however these seem to be mostly to maintain the walls in case of the cave wall being destabilized. The desk, which should be mentioned is that of a medium level "consultant", is indeed made of wood and seems to stand naturally on a fine Ilaian rug. The floor and the table both seem even and no parts seem particularly hollow or dense. A more thorough scan of the room reveals similar results, the room seems about as standardized and regulated as the Empire around it, the only questionable object in the room seems to be the woman herself.



    Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    Eren looked at the woman strangely when she repeated what the dwarf had said before going back to studying the map. The accent was thick sure but it was no Orkhish and he couldn't imagine someone not understanding it. There was no harm to her repeating it so he refrained from commenting on it.

    How many how large the operation of the warehousing facility is? Also do you know any names of members of A.R.C. and A.R.C.'s general numbers? Eren says scratching behind his sloth's ear. The sloth had awoken when the tobacco had been lit but after sniffing a few times it had went back to sleep.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Figure I should check to see how much I know about ARC, again not sure which so will roll two.

    Mostly for the fun of it, Eren is going to try to use his knowledge geography to try to figure out how Arcanis gets its food for its cities.

    "As far as I can tell we're talking a few crates of goods heading in and out of that facility every few days. If you're going to be searching for specific cargo, at least it won't be a needle in a haystack. As for the ARC, the names are my own to know and the numbers are no one's to know," Inelia says and leans back in her chair, looking up at ceiling of the office. She lifts her hand and begins using her fingers to record her calculations. "Let's see, I'd say about one in a hundred households in Arcanis is a mage household and the 1565 census recorded something along the lines of six hundred thousand households in Arcanis- ones that pay taxes, anyway. Now, ARC allegiance is a tricky subject. If you ask me, at least half the mages around here support it. Put all those figures together and you get something like fifteen thousand ARC members in Arcanis alone. I think you can tell that exposing one branch of one Family as I intend to do won't exactly defeat the organization once and for all, but we're putting in the effort."

    Spoiler
    Show


    You've heard of the ARC before, it's been referred to and even spoken about in the Academy at Rentasis as a covert organization that has been resisting Azmaris both domestically and internationally. The ARC never had too much of a presence in Rentasis itself, however it has historically assisted Rentasis in times of conflict with the hegemony. You don't know any particular names or structures, however you can recall people mentioning that the ARC has a distinguishably heavy presence in the islands south of Arcanis and the Dyen, especially in the city of Remnasosa.

    You recall plenty of talking about the meadows and bountiful sheep flocks of North Arcanis's Eysa valley. Best you can guess the majority of food in Arcanis comes from there, but seeing as most of the cities are located in the south you assume most of the food is taken by caravan to Mephtasis and then distributed.



    Quote Originally Posted by forg99rules View Post
    ======] Yuna Serblias [=====







    Yuna hated working in this city, she was not fond of getting hired by the Hegemony but money was money and she wouldn't turn down a job right now. It hadn't come as a surprise to her when she had received the request, she knew that eventually she would get hired again by the Azmarian Order as the past jobs she had done for them went really well. The best part was that she always sent a hefty portion of the money back to The Republic of Dyensis to help them with whatever problems the Hegemony was causing at the time. It was most likely the only reason why she could even get away with being able to return home while also working for the "Enemy". Needless to say though it appeared to be time for some more work, and the lot that got picked this time for the job seemed like an odd bunch. Listening to everyone giving their names to the recruiter Yuna smiles and only presents him with her first name, it is a practice she had done since she started working as a mercenary as it kept any unsavory clients or targets from being able to go after her loved ones.

    Entering the office she takes a look around while Inelia explained some of what the job would entail. At the mention that they would be dealing with mages she couldn't help but feel her heart drop. She had run ins with some mages in the past and had even been hired once to try and take one out, that had ended up being a fairly difficult job that she had only managed to accomplish thanks to having acquired her Mantis Lemmy . Lemmy was her pride and joy, the moment she had seen him she knew that he would be an irreplaceable companion no matter what sort of job she got hired for. He was unlike most other Giant Mantis, his carapace was a burnt orange as well as tougher than most other, he also had mutated slightly to have an extra set of claws on his front legs allowing him to perform better in combat. Overall it seemed like he was made to fight and she had made sure to equip him with some of the best Barding that her money could buy.

    Listening to the others speak of their interactions with the mage families in the region she decided to toss her two pieces into the mix, "Ive done some wet work against a mage before, if that is what is needed then hopefully i can use a similar tactic as i had the last time the Hegemony hired me to deal with one."






    Leaning back against the wall next to the door she again took in the sight of the other mercenaries that had been gathered. To her eyes few seemed to understand exactly what was being asked of them, it seemed though that the one known as Yelena had quite a mind and knew exactly what the job could end up becoming as well as how difficult it would be. Hearing Yelena speak about she would work tirelessly to uncover the truth of the charges gave Yuna goose bumps, she wordlessly prayed that no one tried to pry into her past as she had at one point worked against the Hegemony. She hoped that it would never come to light because as soon as it did she would most likely be executed immediately.

    Hearing that they had to keep the connections to this office secret seemed like a reasonable request, she had done such before when working for the Hegemony and she always expected them to make that one of the terms of the contract. A months timeframe to get information on members of ARC, that did not sit well with her. Dealing with mages is always tricky business, they tend to be pretty good at protecting their property as well as covering up any tracks or traces of any misdoings that they are involved in. Deciding to bring up the one detail that noone had mentioned yet Yuna spoke up again while putting on her best smile, "So if i am to get this straight we have a Month to get you your information on the connection between ARC and House Amardan, while also keeping your name out of it? Seems simple enough, I have still yet to hear how much you will be paying us for this contract. I do have my own rates that i normally charge if you would like me to give them to you they deal with several scenarios and can cause the final price to fluctuate slightly depends on your choice for them, I also normally require at least Half the payment to be upfront. I do hope that getting half upfront won't be an issue?"






    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Perception for checking out the Party

    Diplomacy to try and make her like me more

    Sense Motive to gauge her reaction to my mention of payment and rates
    Spoiler
    Show


    The party seems to you like a fairly standard gathering of the type of people to be hired for these sorts of missions. The Azmarisian Order's openly announced operations are done with lots of panache and demonstrated glory. This leaves mavericks, specialists, and foreigners to do the dirty work. Even the dwarf doesn't particularly surprise you.

    Inelia seems to appreciate your directness and views your appearance as more alike those she normally works with and trusts. You don't detect the talk of prices moving her emotionally in any way, she responds quickly and directly.




    "I will be paying each of you two thousand gold coins for your involvement in the mission to prosecute Mr. Sengar, five hundred of each respectively will be paid upfront," Inelia says, reaching into a drawer and producing a few small satchels. After placing these on the table she looks at each of you directly, replacing the aloof smirk with the stone-cold gaze of a proper bureaucrat. "The price is non-negotiable. Do make any preparations you need and head out to the warehouse as soon as possible." Inelia looks at Yelena and begins reorganizing the papers on her desk. "Judging by the daring commandeering of the map I assume Leiisyl here will lead the way."
    Last edited by Xenoposeidon; 2017-06-30 at 01:53 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2011

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Fallar stands again
    "I'd like a bit more info on ARC. In particular, why would so many support them? What do they gain or hope to gain from supporting it?
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

    A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

    An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kvard51's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Djeldir has spent the last few minutes taking in the spectacle of the Amarisian woman inspecting the room while talking about... something entirely incomprehensible to his practical mind. His expression becomes more and more astounded troughout the exchange, until the moment Yelena lays down on the floor. Then, as if he can not hold in his astonishment a second longer, he jumps to his feat and yells, "By th' gods, wifie! Urr ye doolally? This crakin' lassie cried us in 'ere tae blether aboot a jab! Yer antics ur aff tae git us kicked oot! "

    After the outburst, almost as if he was coming back to himself, he shakes his head and sits back down, muttering to himself, "Gowk lassie aff tae git us murdurred, that's whit she's aff tae dae... "
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

    Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kvard51 View Post
    Djeldir has spent the last few minutes taking in the spectacle of the Amarisian woman inspecting the room while talking about... something entirely incomprehensible to his practical mind. His expression becomes more and more astounded troughout the exchange, until the moment Yelena lays down on the floor. Then, as if he can not hold in his astonishment a second longer, he jumps to his feat and yells, "By th' gods, wifie! Urr ye doolally? This crakin' lassie cried us in 'ere tae blether aboot a jab! Yer antics ur aff tae git us kicked oot! "

    After the outburst, almost as if he was coming back to himself, he shakes his head and sits back down, muttering to himself, "Gowk lassie aff tae git us murdurred, that's whit she's aff tae dae... "
    Inelia nods. "Yep. Absolutely, agreed. Definitely."

    Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    Fallar stands again
    "I'd like a bit more info on ARC. In particular, why would so many support them? What do they gain or hope to gain from supporting it?
    The question puts Inelia leaning back in her seat with her arms crossed behind her head. "I do ask myself that every so often. The pragmatist within me would love to tell you that there is an intricate reasoning infused with an emotional legacy and various other multi-factorial historical backgrounds. She'd love to tell you that it's a natural desire for control given power through the narrative of resistance and strengthened by constant back-and-forth covert warfare, as well as the stigmas and irrationalities inherent within such a thing. To give you the honest answer, though, it's a simple question of power. The mage families are the highest strata of everything. They own the companies, they own the land, they own the goods, they own their talent to exceed others in the way they shape their environment. Imagine if you held everything in your hands, yet you still had to present it in tribute to another, greater force. Wouldn't you try to cut out the clergy?" She sits up slightly. "That is not to say that you should empathize with them too much. These people are no better than slavers or bandits, they just wear fancier robes and attend more respectable social gatherings. They'll torture someone to death if it means achieving a new spell. They'll kill thousands of innocents if it means a bit more autonomy for their academy."

    Inelia leans forward and speaks directly to Fallar. "You should be glad to be the check on their power. Besides, they are not the ones offering to pay you," she says and points at the map in Yelena's hand.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    "Mhhm... of course..." Her voice trailed off almost dismissively, turning around and cutting across the room, moving back towards the direction of the door. Patting the dwarf on the back warmly and pressing a finger to her pursed lips she spoke "Shhhh, we're almost done." It was difficult to judge the intent of her gesture, but her words sounded more as if she were coddling a child. Without speaking in response, she let the others go about their conversation as she set to a new task.

    Opening the door, she turned both the front and back knobs before looking at the doors hinges from either side to determine they were not made from two welded materials. Again producing the magnetic rock from her belt, she ran the stone down the front and back side of the door, then the metal fixtures. After she placed the thing away and straddled the door, bending down with a hand on either knob and slowly lifting - she didn't apply excessive force, only enough to determine it was securely mounted in place and the doorframe was not rigged or detachable.

    After she finished with the door she moved back into the room and closed it behind herself. Moving towards a free chair, she placed her traveling bag in the seat and pulled out an aged leather-bound book. Stepping near a corner without any furnishing nor carpet, she pulled out a pinch of strange white powder and cast it in an arc over the floor. Rubbing it into the cracks with her foot she pulled out a fine fountain pen from her vest and begun rapidly transcribing a long list of notes.

    While still jotting down line after line of script, she moved back over towards the minister's desk. Her eyes were intently locked onto the page as she filled it with various bits, references and texts. "Thank you for your patience and cooperation, ma'am. I've finished my initial site survey of the Trade Consultation's facility and your office. The results in my report are not absolute, and initial review is focused on safety and security - not finding every hidden room in the building." She briefly glanced up from the stationary as if making a pointed remark before returning back to hastily filling out the page. "In regards to structural integrity, the facility seems fine. There is no significant shift, or sign of foundational failure. The walls are provisionally reinforced in the event of significant structural failure, and look like they'll hold in the event of environmental or naturally occurring emergency. However, this office, and the majority of the building are not secure. Namely from magically associated threats, which in this case is the entirety of the hostile faction in question..." Finishing her writing, she signed the bottom. Carefully, she removed the page from the heavy book and placed it upon her desk. The gilded page was elaborate and filled with various findings, measurements and contextual references to the possible associated vulnerabilities and risks of each logged incident.

    Closing the book, she moved back to her bag and stored it inside, capping her pen and placing it back in its home and collected her things. "I would focus on securing this office primarily. From what I've seen the evidence of potential tampering is minimal, which is the best you could hope for in a chamber you haven't constructed yourself. Your city-side window's wall should have an eighth-inch of lead laid down on either the exterior or interior. That's the most vulnerable side of your office. Mitigating the majority of spying and scrying means available to the majority of Azmarisian mages from the most densely populated direction will provide some much needed privacy for the incidents to come. Keep in mind this isn't infallible, some of my peers can still penetrate that much material to gather information, so I imagine some of the more exceptional mages of the Empire's elite may be capable of similar feats. It doesn't appear that the room is warded either, or if it is the wards are placed in the most terrible positions possible..." She turned her head towards the ceiling, just to be sure. "Remember to have your mage prepare his proximity-based spells at all possible entry and exit locations, the door and window primarily, in conjunction with masking spells such as nondetection. More organized groups of mages aren't solely formed of arcane casters, and thus have a larger repertoire of detection methods available. After the room has been warded, I would then work on the floor. Wood floors are fine, but we find bodies on them all the time. The cracks aren't airtight, and the last thing you'll want is some gaseous-shifting mage quite literally coming out of the woodwork to cut your throat. Paraffin, clay, tar, animal glue, they all work. Give the floor a good wax and seal the cracks in the wood with a lacquer after. Or if you can find a decent alchemist, using a heat-applied enamel to give it a durable cover that will keep the floor pristine for decades. It's like sovereign glue... for your floor. Make sure you also get around to soundproofing and reinforcing that door as well. Having all your business just pouring out into the lobby defeats the purpose of even having an office, and that door won't hold for long if someone is intent to bring it down. You can review the rest on the report, just my standard policy to verify the degree of the sponsor's security when accepting a third-party contract."

    Reaching over the desk, she picked up one of the small coin-purses. Opening it, she begun taking count of the individual coins and dropping them one-by-one into her own purse in no hurry. "....Remember what I said before minister? I said that I've dealt with Azmarisian mages, and their families on a small number of occasions. I never said that I had any previous dealings with the Arcana Reze Cambris. Aside from hearing the name, what little I did know about the organization was not much beyond mere hearsay and unsubstantiated rumor. Your insight has been quite... educational, in more ways than one. It's a shame though..." The coins clanged as they fell into the purse one at a time like small ringing hammers as her gaze was now unblinkingly leveled at the minister. "That we couldn't have been more honest with one another... Conspiracy and rumor are fickle things. Frequently fed by unfounded claims, but someone in my position is obligated to proceed as if it were already a proven case..." The last coin landed in her purse, after which she tossed the empty sack back with the other gold bags. "Just remember, at no point did I pose a question towards this particular case. What you have chosen to take this opportunity to willingly disclose, has been heard... As to the rest you are evidently withholding, well. I'm sure I'll find out. The truth always has a way of coming into the light." Turning on her heel she motioned back towards the exit, speaking as she went. "It's a pleasure doing business. I'll unravel your little mystery, I just hope you're on the right side of this when the cards fall."

    Opening the door, she took one step out then paused, looking over her shoulder. "Oh, and that's Inquisitor Leiisyl..." She closed the door behind herself as she left the office.

    After the door closed, her mind slowly pieced the larger picture together - she hurriedly begun fast walking out of the lobby and the Trade Consultations facility to make good on her escape. She'd completely forgotten she wasn't in the GXE, and stealing documents, maps, and unofficially interrogating a minister of trade in the most powerful empire in the Orda... Well, it just wasn't a good business practice. What's more, she had taken a leave of service just to come out here. Taking on contracts while on vacation wasn't a breach of duty, but interrogating a foreign minister without authorization was. High Inquisitor Llartasis would light her on fire if he found out - she'd wait for her new companions... outside.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Vos Derrens

    Talking to no-one in particular: "It seems we have a lot of people in this room very proficient in the arts of secrets and discretion. That's good". Vos pockets his advance after briefly checking it. "What we need now is a place to plan, and a place to return to after the, the.... after.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Hamste's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Are you sure it isn't secured against magic? Lead isn't really magnetic unless that is a super powered magnet and even then the attraction minute at best. Magic spells already cast are also possible and magic aura spells should routinely be used to hide magical precautions which would be why your detect magic didn't work.
    Eren says trying to hold back his yawn and shutting his eyes apparently not even noticing she had already left the room. There is a long pause where he seems like he is done and almost seems to be asleep before continuing.

    You also forgot to do a proper check of the ceiling. If I was going to spy on someone I would just have Flash climb either in the space between two floors or if there is none hold a glass to listen in from above. Even if it is just roof above us, certain familiars wouldn't be questioned at all.

    Anyways, I'm good with this mission. I agree we need somewhere safe to plan. Anyone live around here?
    Eren said.
    Avatar created by Elder Tsofu

    Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    As Yelena finishes and heads out Inelia raises her eyebrows and looks to be beginning to write a note. Once Yelena is out the door she pauses the scribbling and points at the door. "Follow the Easterner now, will you? I have another five companies and three weeks of backlog transfer updates to attend to. Good luck."

    Outside of the Trade Consultations building the Market district is busy as ever while the evening closes in. Just outside the facility, the world's wealth is being exchanged one good at a time. Fine Arcanisian clothes are being offered and pressed against the torsos of contemplating shoppers by an eager tailor, a multi-stall complex of Ilaian merchants is tossing fish from stall to stall to the clapping and cheering of children begging their parents to reward the spectacle with a purchase, two rivaled wine vendors are throwing insults and comparisons over the heads of those walking through the street and debating the craft of Rektasian and Rentasian pressers, a jeweler is advocating the strength and purity of Mraksian silver and a white-skinned Dyensisian woman is desperately selling off the last of her winter-season fur coats. Xoriafsian porcelain, Pharan spices, thick black beverages made of Gamsuan-imported beans, Asenarian ale, a thousand dyes made of plants from Anthis, sugar from the Peninsula, ivory from Zentar-Malike. Lanterns light the streets as tens of thousands walk back and forth and black-armored guards wielding long thin sabers patrol and violently arrest anyone causing trouble. None of you own property in this city, to buy even a room around here one would need the fortunate kind of parents and many years of saving income, however you know that within the commotion of the street and the loud festivities of the Wuhiyong-blessed taverns apathy will be your private walls. The Amardan storage facility is about a thirty minutes' walk from where you are due to the speed of the dense foot traffic. Several taverns, inns, and narcotics establishments are scattered between the route and all around the market.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Her gaze drifted left, then right. The clamor and roar of thousands of voices flooding into her ears. It was a far cry from the sight of any other market, the bright colorful illumination of Methtasis's night life seemed twice as busy as the trade centers of other city's during midday. All she could do was smirk and shake her head, it was truly impressive, but now was not the time to be awed - she had a need for haste and discretion.

    Quickly, she unstrung her bow and easily slid it away into the dimensional-pocket within her quiver. Without hesitation she hurriedly pressed on through the crowd until she came unto a tailor selling various garments, seeing just the particular type of clothes she was looking for. Slapping five coins into the hands of the eager merchant, she grabbed the magician's ensemble, which was mostly comprised of scholars robes, and all the typically accessories which would be expected. Stripping off her armored vest, gloves and boots, she quickly changed on the spot. Donning the robes, stepping into the new solid boots and sliding on the stiff elbow length gloves. While belting on the robe and stuffing her other garments into her traveling bag she looked at the rather bland hat which accompanied it; it didn't quite fit the desired objective. Looking about, she found what she had in mind. Flipping another coin at the merchant, and planted the large-brimmed hat on her head - it was perhaps a bit too oversized, but it looked almost exactly like an atypical witch-hat worn by some of her peers; Hexers and witches in service to the empire.

    Adjusting her new outerwear, she pulled out a few items to add the final touch. She took out the long chain-like rosary which ended in the multi-weapon shaped seal of Xoriaf, a holy symbol which also served as a badge of sorts, identifying the individual as an agent of the Xoriafic Empire. Wrapping it around her waist, then looping it through her belt to let the seal rest on her left side much like the sponsored witches she had seen traveling outside the GXE on personal business. Digging into her bag, she produced a small leather-bound case, opening it and retrieving a pair of massively round eyeglasses with solid brass frames. She slid them onto her face gingerly, it was a rare occasion which she would actually wear the spectacles publically because she felt the large circular lenses which seemed to cover a fourth of her face made her look like an owl - she pulled the end of her hat lower. Replacing the case back in her bag, she pulled out three sections of solid darkwood capped with polished steel fittings, assembling the pieces she then was left with a walking staff. Taking out a mirror she looked herself over. Make over complete.

    Spoiler: Disguise - Actions
    Show


    ✦ Purchase Scholar's Outfit (Full Price) - 5gp
    ✦ Purchase Hat (Overprice - 1sp) - 1gp
    ⯎ Assemble Portion of (Folding Pole) To Use As Walking Staff
    ⯎ Disguise DC (1d20+7)[25]
    ⯎ Disguise Bonus (+5 - Minor Details/Clothing)

    (Disguise Skill Reference - Non-Impersonation/Non-Familiarity)
    Your Disguise check result determines how good the disguise is, and it is opposed by others’ Perception check results. If you don’t draw any attention to yourself, others do not get to make Perception checks.

    (Disguise Skill Reference - With Familiarity)
    Usually, an individual makes a Perception check to see through your disguise immediately upon meeting you and every hour thereafter. If you casually meet many different creatures, each for a short time, check once per day or hour, using an average Perception modifier for the group.


    Though she was a curse-specialist, she'd only worn similar outfits briefly while in training and that had been some time ago. Finishing her business with the tailor, she figured it was best to move to a position to get sight of the other somewhat-bland mercenaries. Thinking back on it, most of them didn't even seem like legitimate mercs... It still remained to be seen just what exactly had won them their referral to the trade minister. That was an opportunity most sellswords could only dream of, yet instead the lineup in the room seemed to be quite different than what she would have thought. Having had worked independent contracts previously, she'd often been paired off with others, but more often then not someone died. The possibilities of that occurring again were exponentially high... The job might as well have been described as black ops for the empire. Their first job and already they'd begun with sponsored raids and espionage. The empire couldn't associated any of their own too closely with this mess, but they as mercenaries were completely expendable. It wouldn't be a surprise if their contract ended with the hegemony terminating them just to clean up loose threads, it wouldn't be the first time she'd been involved in similar circumstances - though she'd never been on the receiving end of such a convoluted mess.

    Making her way back, she hopped up on her wagon and grabbed the reins. With a snap she set the vehicle into motion moving it away from the recruitment plaza to put some distance between all that nonsense. She'd wait for her new companions further away. The only question she continued to ask herself was if it was worth getting to know them. Seeing what direction this was going, it might not have been worth the effort. This particular venture simply might end far sooner than they realized once things went sideways, of course she had a Plan B, and C - but some of those plans were a little sketchy, and she wasn't sure she wanted to go through Rektasis if she could help it...

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2011

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    As they leave the office, Fallar seems a bit calmer, but still fairly unsettled.
    "Well, this looks like it could be quite a lot of trouble. I want to go put my money in a safe place, so if this job goes bad, my family will still get it.
    and no offense, but I just met all of you, and I don't want you to know where I'm putting it. So, let's meet up a bit later at someplace agreeable, ok?
    "

    Spoiler: actions
    Show

    If there are no objections I go off to do that, using knowledge local (+10) to identify a reputable bank/similar institution to deposit my money at (both the 500 we just got, and 1100 of my 1200 in savings), with instructions that if I don't return within 35 days to claim it, it should be sent to my family.
    I'll be running perception checks the whole time (+8, +10 vs humans), and using a bit of stealth (+7, not sure how it works for trying to lose people following you in a city) to try and make sure I'm not followed. If I'm being followed I won't go to the bank.
    Last edited by zlefin; 2017-07-02 at 08:46 AM.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

    A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

    An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    ======] Yuna Serblias [=====







    Nodding to the woman, Yuna walks up to the desk and grabs one of the bags of coins that were set on it. Counting the coins before she places them into her own bag, "2000 pieces is a fair amount for the work requested, i would have preferred more considering the danger of what you are hiring us to do but it will work out i feel. I do have one final question, how do you feel about us taking items that we find during the work? Like lets say there is some magic items laying about as we are searching for your proof, are we allowed to take them for ourselves or do you want us to leave them?"

    Once she received her answer she turns and heads towards the door, looking back with a mischievous smile on her face "Well then I'm off, see you in a month with your proof"

    Having made her way outside she looks around for the others that were inside with her, specifically she tries to spot where the Inquisitor is so that she can join her, as she feels that it would be best to work closer to her as the Inquisitor seemed to know what she was doing. Whistling a short tune loudly into the air she waits for her Mantis Lemmy to join her.






    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Perception to find the others incase they wandered off.
    (1d20+7)[8]

    Also calling Lemmy over to me as i would have left him outside perched up somewhere.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kvard51's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    As the strange inquisitor woman walks out, Djeldir realizes he's actually interested in this assignment. Well, or at least in the strange inquisitor woman. Her antics might just make this worth his efforts. Thinking this leads to action. He steps forward, grabs a bag of coins, and shoves them down the front of his leathers as he turns to chase the woman out the door.

    Ah will be taking th' jab 'n' takin wae me back yer proof. Ta fur yer patience wi' oor tomfoolery.

    Spoiler: Translation
    Show
    I'll be taking the job and bringing back your proof. Thank you for your patience with our tomfoolery.


    With that, he sprints out of the building, head turning this way and that as he searches for the woman...
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

    Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Hamste's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Eren didn't really have anything to do beyond waiting so he just started following the dwarf figuring he would be the slowest party member even with him sprinting. Eren realized he probably should disguise himself but he didn't feel like going through the trouble and he would just wear the disguise when it was time.

    What are you looking for? Eren says to the dwarf as Fallar leaves. He really hoped Fallar was putting the money into the bank but it really wasn't up to him to judge.
    Last edited by Hamste; 2017-07-02 at 05:28 PM.
    Avatar created by Elder Tsofu

    Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mornings View Post

    Spoiler: Disguise - Actions
    Show


    ✦ Purchase Scholar's Outfit (Full Price) - 5gp
    ✦ Purchase Hat (Overprice - 1sp) - 1gp
    ⯎ Assemble Portion of (Folding Pole) To Use As Walking Staff
    ⯎ Disguise DC [roll0]
    ⯎ Disguise Bonus (+5 - Minor Details/Clothing)

    (Disguise Skill Reference - Non-Impersonation/Non-Familiarity)
    Your Disguise check result determines how good the disguise is, and it is opposed by others’ Perception check results. If you don’t draw any attention to yourself, others do not get to make Perception checks.

    (Disguise Skill Reference - With Familiarity)
    Usually, an individual makes a Perception check to see through your disguise immediately upon meeting you and every hour thereafter. If you casually meet many different creatures, each for a short time, check once per day or hour, using an average Perception modifier for the group.
    Yelena's disguise fits well, even with a proper look and some talking one would have a hard time noticing Yelena is not a mage dressed in their study or travelling clothes. You'd still look a bit off at an aristocratic formal event or meeting, you've gotten to know the "proper" clothing of mages 'round these parts to be overly fanciful and quite ostentatious.

    Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    As they leave the office, Fallar seems a bit calmer, but still fairly unsettled.
    "Well, this looks like it could be quite a lot of trouble. I want to go put my money in a safe place, so if this job goes bad, my family will still get it.
    and no offense, but I just met all of you, and I don't want you to know where I'm putting it. So, let's meet up a bit later at someplace agreeable, ok?
    "

    Spoiler: actions
    Show

    If there are no objections I go off to do that, using knowledge local (+10) to identify a reputable bank/similar institution to deposit my money at (both the 500 we just got, and 1100 of my 1200 in savings), with instructions that if I don't return within 35 days to claim it, it should be sent to my family.
    I'll be running perception checks the whole time (+8, +10 vs humans), and using a bit of stealth (+7, not sure how it works for trying to lose people following you in a city) to try and make sure I'm not followed. If I'm being followed I won't go to the bank.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Fallar identifies a nearby branch of the state-run banking services and successfully deposits the recent income there. It does not appear you are followed. The only times anyone looks at you is to give you a frustrated glance when you cut them off or limit their walking space. Otherwise the colorful spectacle of the market has their eyes transfixed.


    Quote Originally Posted by forg99rules View Post
    ======] Yuna Serblias [=====







    Nodding to the woman, Yuna walks up to the desk and grabs one of the bags of coins that were set on it. Counting the coins before she places them into her own bag, "2000 pieces is a fair amount for the work requested, i would have preferred more considering the danger of what you are hiring us to do but it will work out i feel. I do have one final question, how do you feel about us taking items that we find during the work? Like lets say there is some magic items laying about as we are searching for your proof, are we allowed to take them for ourselves or do you want us to leave them?"

    Once she received her answer she turns and heads towards the door, looking back with a mischievous smile on her face "Well then I'm off, see you in a month with your proof"

    Having made her way outside she looks around for the others that were inside with her, specifically she tries to spot where the Inquisitor is so that she can join her, as she feels that it would be best to work closer to her as the Inquisitor seemed to know what she was doing. Whistling a short tune loudly into the air she waits for her Mantis Lemmy to join her.






    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Perception to find the others incase they wandered off.
    [roll0]

    Also calling Lemmy over to me as i would have left him outside perched up somewhere.
    "What you do in regards to strategy, property, and human lives is up to your discretion. Don't go all Sahuagin, otherwise my hands are off."

    Once Yuna exits the building she attempts to locate the Inquisitor but is greeted only with the eternally moving, criss-cross traffic of street-crossing merchants and workers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kvard51 View Post
    As the strange inquisitor woman walks out, Djeldir realizes he's actually interested in this assignment. Well, or at least in the strange inquisitor woman. Her antics might just make this worth his efforts. Thinking this leads to action. He steps forward, grabs a bag of coins, and shoves them down the front of his leathers as he turns to chase the woman out the door.

    Ah will be taking th' jab 'n' takin wae me back yer proof. Ta fur yer patience wi' oor tomfoolery.

    Spoiler: Translation
    Show
    I'll be taking the job and bringing back your proof. Thank you for your patience with our tomfoolery.


    With that, he sprints out of the building, head turning this way and that as he searches for the woman...
    Barely keeping site on the Inquisitor during the sprint, Djeldir arrives at the exit in time to see Yelena swiftly change her outfit as she traverses the market.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    Eren didn't really have anything to do beyond waiting so he just started following the dwarf figuring he would be the slowest party member even with him sprinting. Eren realized he probably should disguise himself but he didn't feel like going through the trouble and he would just wear the disguise when it was time.

    What are you looking for? Eren says to the dwarf as Fallar leaves. He really hoped Fallar was putting the money into the bank but it really wasn't up to him to judge.
    Eren's intuition is proven somewhat wrong as the dwarf maneuvers across the polished Azmarisian floor with remarkable haste. Following Djeldir, Eren arrives at the exit shortly after while still spotting Yelena moving through the crowd towards the supposed meeting place.

    ---

    A little further from the Consultations building and half-removed from the bustle of market, Yelena's wagon arrives at a rocky outcropping in the cave wall that proves a (relatively) quiet spot with a splendid view of the market, in one direction spreading and unfolding into the now lamp-lit urban landscape of the Port District and in another condensing into four great tunnels deeper into the ground and further from the Imperial core. Yelena is followed by Vos, then by the sweating and eager to catch up Djeldir who is conversing with the shortly behind Eren. Yuna and Fallar, lost among the now finally slightly dwindling population of the market, eventually spot the rest of the party. Fallar, not necessarily finding the Inquisitor as much as noticing the dwarf next to her and Yuna, completely lost on her own senses but pointed in the right direction by the instincts of her Dyensisian fauna companion.

    It is now late evening.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Vos Derrens
    "So. Smart mercenaries would spend some time scoping out the place. But if we suspect the operation may be compromised, there's a case to be made for swift, shocking violence. Just putting it out there. Personally, I am in no rush, no rush at all, to get to the unpleasant part of the job".

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    The disguised inquisitor sat atop her mossy-roofed wagon after relocating to the new perch overlooking the marketplace. She flipped through some of her various documents and penned down a few notes as she waited. Pushing up her large owly glasses, she looked up to see the familiar faces begin to congregate on the high risen platform.


    Llyri Effæn'ribel
    The young woman's hair was tied back in two low hanging buns while the bangs of her hair hung down slightly obscuring her overly large glasses. Her massive witchy hat sagged down giving her an unimposing and bookish appearance; a far younger magician's-apprentice. As the others gathered below, she looked down from on high sitting on her wagon's perch with a sheepish smile "Oh, hey guys! Looks like you all managed to find your way here." Her voice was immature and insecure, that sounded like statements were almost being asked like a question. Girlish and adolescent, like it actually belonged to the young mage who sat on the roof of the vehicle above. Gone was the mirthless, bland emotionless monotone of the Inquisitor; she had entirely taken on the personality and character of another persona to an almost obsessive degree. This was not the same woman they had met in the office not long before.

    Grasping her staff in one hand, she hopped down from the wagon. Landing with heavy feet she nearly tumbled over in a klutzy display before catching her balance with her staff. "So, um, yeah... I'm Llyri Effæn'ribel - That's ef-FANE-ri-BELL... Don't call me 'effin-ribble'. I hate that. My father was from Mavara, but I joined the Xoriafic military for my own reasons and serve as an apprentice magician to the Empire's Hexcrafters temporarily, at least until my training is complete. I guess everyone has unique uses for a witch's talents." A clenched hand came up to her mouth as she cleared her throat. "In anycase, while I don't exactly know any of you very well, I would refrain from using your real names until after this mess is over. At best we've be employed to investigate false leads and we'll get paid for clearing up some confusion - but if almost any part of this turns out to be true, it would be an both an affront and embarrassment to Azmar’s personal theocracy. I imagine either faction in question at that point would like to see our friends and family die with us, just to be sure we didn't pass any notes or details which might be incriminating... Scary stuff, right? So, needless to say Llyri isn't my real name."

    Patting down and straightening her robes her gaze seemed fixated on the considerably large armored giant mantis now in tow. "...Is that thing real?" She poked it with the end of her staff. "Anyways, none of you really look like mercs... Well, except you - maybe... " She gestured at Yuna while taking a lap around the mantis to get a better look. After finishing she stopped in front of the rest of them, taking a good look at each of the adventurers. "I don't really know what any of you specialize in, or what exactly you bring to the table. So, if you would - give us whatever you'd like to be called and what skills you have. Here, I'll start..." She pushed up her glasses, "Llyri Effæn'ribel - Magician. I excel in curses and magical knowledge. I'm also trained in various weapons, but primarily excel in ranged combat using my magic. I've been trained in various investigation techniques, but most of my experience has come from shadowing my superiors. As an apprentice Hexcrafter, my skills mostly favor combating and hunting other magicians, specifically those that favor witchcraft. Nonmagical enemies aren't a problem as long as there's distance between us, so I'll be relying on those of you martially-inclined individuals."

    Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Vos Derrens
    "So. Smart mercenaries would spend some time scoping out the place. But if we suspect the operation may be compromised, there's a case to be made for swift, shocking violence. Just putting it out there. Personally, I am in no rush, no rush at all, to get to the unpleasant part of the job".
    The owly witch smiled at the armored fighter, "There's no need for rushing things, instead you should each work towards some preparations. I would use part of your money to purchase some potions from the market. It's a common practice for soldiers in the empire to carry two potions on your person, not for others, but for others to provide that healing to yourself should you be struck down. I would also start making some considerations for contingencies, in the event our task has been compromised. If the whole of Azmaris decides to turn against you and brands you as traitor or member of A.R.C., are you just going to run around like a chicken with its head cut off? In the case our contract is dissolved, you'll want to have at least made preparations for how you'll get out of here - wont you? At that point, we'll likely all go our own ways and you'll want a means to ensure escape from the hegemony's territories. Warfare between magicians is often at least this conniving and vicious; you need to have a move to make before you even begin playing their game. We will scout the location from a distance, but that shouldn't be something that's rushed. We need to identify which magicians may be physically present at the location and what the movements and schedules of their people are. That'll probably take a few days of observation, but we'll see. If there's just some unhuman creatures left as sentries then things could be far easier, if you know what I mean." She pushed up her glasses as if making a statement.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Hamste's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Kind of figured it wasn't you mentioned your presumably real last name earlier. Call me Simaf, I guess. I'm an enchantment specialist with the ability to conceal my spell casting from those I'm talking to. I'm also knowledgeable about most subjects, can forge most documents if I have a reference, have a magic item that allows me to disguise at will and speak many languages. Completely useless in combat though, I mostly bore my enemies into submission. My suggestion is we find an off duty guard and I have a little talk with them. Flash can also investigate if need be as he is surprisingly stealthy, though he can't really escape.
    Eren said yawning a bit. He kind of wanted to get to his keif but there was no time to really enjoy it right now. He didn't even bat an eye at the shifting personality, he did a similar thing whenever he disguised though his yawn sometimes caused suspicion.

    Spoiler
    Show

    I forgot to ask this earlier, is it ok if I make a knowledge check to learn more about the Leiisyl family seeing them seem to be an important mage family in the GXE? I'm not sure how common the Leiisyl last name is (is it common enough like Smith that just knowing it and the person's profession isn't enough to guess much about the person?)

    Avatar created by Elder Tsofu

    Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •