Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 61
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

    I forgot to ask this earlier, is it ok if I make a knowledge check to learn more about the Leiisyl family seeing them seem to be an important mage family in the GXE? I'm not sure how common the Leiisyl last name is (is it common enough like Smith that just knowing it and the person's profession isn't enough to guess much about the person?)


    Spoiler
    Show

    You can go ahead and roll. Surnames in Amaris are kinda tricky as they can be anything from an occupation descriptor like "Smith" to a name created to distinguish a mage faction to a surname derived from clan names a millennium or two back when parts of Amaris were still tribal (Which to clarify a few still are). If your assumption is that Yelena comes from an important mage family you'd probably need to have a good set of knowledge of nobility and an especially well tuned one to Eastern Amaris, mage families make sure to especially distinguish themselves so there are no "common" names.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2011

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    [ooc: just assume I'm using a cover name as suggested, I'm in multiple games at once, and it's a pain to remember all the names of all my chars in the games, plus the names of everyone else in the various parties, yet more names by adding cover identities is just a nuisance ot remember, so I'll continue putting in charname, and just assume I'm using the cover name]

    "I generally work as a guard, so I'd typically be on the other side of things like this. I can fight well, scout reasonably, and know a fair bit about handling the streets, though usually not on matters as significant as this. I'm not so good at dealing with people though, at least not in terms of talking to them.
    We should definitely scope out the target area first; if there are any guards,
    and especially if there's more than one, they'll have a favorite tavern to go to,
    which is always one of the best places to keep an eye on them and maybe learn a little something.
    "
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

    A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

    An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kvard51's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    "A'm cried Bram. That insae mah real name, bit it's enough. A'm yin o' th' druids o' mah fowk. Amurnay sure how come ah hae bin added tae this gang. Howfur wull mah skills hulp this investigation? a dinnae ken. Bit, th' dosh is guid 'n' ah wull huv a go tae keep ye alive 'n' complete th' jab."

    Spoiler: Translation
    Show
    "I am called Bram. That is not my real name, but it is enough. I am one of the Druids of my people. I am not sure why I have been added to this team. How will my skills help this investigation? I don't know. But, the money is good and I will try to keep you alive and complete the job."


    He looks around the group solemnly. "Aye,ah wull huv a go tae keep ye alive 'n' complete th' jab."
    Last edited by Kvard51; 2017-07-03 at 01:07 PM.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

    Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    "Orin Sukun"
    "Names, huh? I usually go by my real name. Except ...". As the mercenary hesitates, he pulls a grinning steel faceplate out of his pack. "When I'm wearing this, my name is Shattersmile. That's just between me and you, because you need to know."

    "As for what I bring to the party;" he casually twirls his spike-topped 6-foot hammer, and goes through a few practiced blocks and thrusts; "Besides the obvious, I am also skilled in alchemical warfare. I am also surprisingly persuasive - and I mean actually persuasive - when I need to be."

    "Let's say my name is ...Orin Sukun". His name curls into an involuntary smile.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    As the conversation continues the evening keeps on its own course towards the night. Spying on a market facility now would allow easier visibility among the lesser crowds, yet the stamina of the party itself is wearing down and a few of you are sensing the need to find a place to lay your head in expectation of the full observable traffic of the day time.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)


    Llyri Effæn'ribel

    The short witch had a hand glued to her chin as if in thought, "Hmm... So between Orin, Mr. Wiggles, and Bram... our best front-line defense is..... that thing." She pointed absently at the giant mantis. "That's not to say that you all aren't capable fighters, but our buggy friend might as well be a miniature siege engine with all that armor. That also means everyone except for myself and Simaf can hold their own in a melee, which is good to know." She looked at the Enchanter, "You may want to purchase a crossbow or something in the event you're cornered. We don't really know just what kind of magicians are involved in this affair, so it's safe to assume that there may be creatures or persons immune to your enchantments. Immunity to mind-affecting spells just happens to be the most frequently held resistance of magical creatures so.... you'll want some options. Relying on nothing but enchantment and magical disguise may leave you defenseless in the face of say... undead creatures. Which would make the perfect kind of sentries for magical criminals; not needing to eat, sleep or be paid are all desirable qualities."

    She pushed up her glasses, "In any case, It's getting late. I'll leave the rest of the evening for each of you to make whatever preparations you'd like, but I would invest in healing. While my magic may be able to mend your wounds, it's a finite resource. Should you be struck down after I've expended too much of my arcane energy, well, you'll just be out of luck - and I'm no physician. If it comes to that we'll just stuff a rag in whatever holes you have and drag you back to a cleric... and hopefully you don't die. That's... not really a position I'd like to be in... so I'd really appreciate it if you were proactive and carry your own resources in the event of emergency." Looking at the others in an attempt to judge their condition she carried on, "I would like to take care of the necessary arrangements in the market, and still take an initial look at the warehouse, but I understand some of you may be starting to be feel tired, so we'll just save it for tomorrow. Try to grab whatever you'll need tonight and we'll pick back up again at first light. I can also take care of one or two of your accommodations, as I own my own lodging. The bed is big enough for two of you I suppose, maybe a more if you don't mind the floor. I don't usually sleep... so, I don't require either. At the very least it's a free roof over your head, right? Unless of course you'd like to brave the taverns and inns. Whoever's interested can meet back here, but for now I'll be going back down to the market." With that she started off on her way, straightening her hat as she went.

    Returning back to the market she easily made her way through the dwindling crowd. Briefly stopping by another tailor, she grabbed some general miss-matched garb that might be typical for a mercenary or traveling swordsmen before moving on. She stopped by a number of magic shops after looking for a potion of infernal healing, and a nearly depleted wand of infernal healing - discount magical wares were far more affordable when living on a budget. Upon finishing that, she went on the prowl for a good alchemist shop. Alchemist were quite the strange cross between the mundane and magic, able to create strange remedies and contraptions - or even fireballs from seemingly unsuspecting liquids, those were helpful tools while hunting magicians.

    Spoiler: Actions - Purchases
    Show
    ✦ Soldier's outfit - 1gp
    ✦ Hat - 1sp
    ✦ Wand of Infernal Healing (10 or less charges - 15gp/charge)
    ✦ Potion of Infernal Healing - 50gp
    ✦ Alchemical dye kit - 160gp
    ✦ Phosphorescent gel - 45gp


    Last edited by Mornings; 2017-07-05 at 12:55 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2011

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Fallar

    I'm fine with sleeping wherever. Let's get some rest and start in the morning. I wouldn't do any snooping without first having looked around the area in the daytime; best to have a plan for snooping so you don't look like you're keeping an eye on things, and the bustle of daytime provides better cover for figuring out that step.

    I'll go to sleep wherever, depending on where others go; an inn or the spare space in Llyri's house. unless it actually matters there's not need to specify.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

    A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

    An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kvard51's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    After following the others to a place to rest, Djeldir sets up his equipment and begins the process of making a potion. He decides that, out of the spells he has ready, Barkskin makes the most sense for what they are setting out to do. A couple of hours later and the potion is complete. After pouring it up in a vial, he places it in his backpack and steps out in the night to commune with the night and plan his spells for the morrow.

    Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    0 Level - Create Water, Detect Magic, Guidance, Spark

    1st level: Entangle, Cure Light Wounds, Speak w/ Animals

    2nd Level: Barkskin, Stone Call
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

    Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Hamste's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    I will stick with acid splash over a crossbow, at least I can hit with that. Do we have any one who can prepare hide from undead? Counters undead pretty hard if we feel they are a credible threat. Also, is it ok if I smoke in your lodging? If not, I will just find a tavern. Here is what I'm thinking, I will take a nap and maybe my familiar will smoke a bit while you go shop. Then we can go the warehouse to investigate. We have to see it anyways so might as well do it tonight.
    Eren suggests.
    Avatar created by Elder Tsofu

    Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    The outside of Llyri's wagon clearly belies its inside - while the exterior is moldy and worn down from many travels, the inside shows extravagance and comfort. The interior is filled with the woodwork of Xoriafic craftsmen, characterised with complex, yet practical designs covered by intricate embroidery. The wooden floor is covered with a colorful Josarian carpet, with designs that spiral and mix, and what seems to be Josan calligraphy. Although there is little free space within, everything seems to be in place, which the otherwise disorienting room an orderly and efficient feeling. Though as you look around, you understand Llyri was right - there is place within for 2 of you, perhaps 3 if you would huddle a bit.

    Spoiler: (language) Josan
    Show
    The calligraphy says "rocks shatter foes, but time shatters rocks".


    Spoiler: Yelena
    Show
    As you walk around the market, you notice two men approaching you. They wear pitch black armor which you remember from your brief research about the city is the symbol of the Gartan Untheris - the guard brigade of the Underground district. You spot identical Axfars on their belts and the edges of small, round shields peeking over their backs. As they come close, one of them speaks in the demanding voice of a seasoned peacekeeper: "Miss, mage license please."
    .
    Last edited by Norielbit; 2017-07-06 at 01:08 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    "Orin Sukun"
    Right, then. See you lot at the warehouse street in the morning.

    The next morning, Orin is strolling down the streets, looking for all the world like yet another tradesman in practical trousers and a warm cloak.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    ¤¤¤¤¤‡ Yuna Serblias ‡¤¤¤¤¤







    Yuna wasn't sure how to deal with the sudden change in personality that happened with the Inquisitor, one second she had been so cold to the world and then now all the sudden she was all happy and cheerful. It really threw her for a loop, but she could adapt she had to or else she might slip up and let loose where she really came from and why she really was in the city.

    She was happy that Lemmy had been thought of as being a miniature siege engine, she knew that spending all that gold to get his barding made would pay off and it looked like someone else agreed. although the way that she addressed Lemmy made her slightly annoyed, who called someones friend a "Thing" that is just rude and uncalled for in her mind. Looking around as everyone started giving false names she couldn't help but giggle a little, why were they just now realizing that they needed to keep their identity a secret. You would have thought that they had worked for the Hegemony before, course it is possible that they truly hadn't, That was an odd thought though. "Well since everyones giving themselves alias's I guess I should let you know what to call me since it doesn't seem like everyone paid attention when we gave them to the guards before we got hired. I am Yuna, yes like the God, no I am not a God. My friend here is Lemmy, and like Llyri's keen observation he is real and heavily armored. He can also fly and climb up walls with ease so it should make scouting out the place a bit easier. Enough about that though, I will be heading into town as well to get some healing items and maybe something strong to drink. Don't worry about saving me a spot to sleep, I have a hammock that I will setup later."

    Giving a quick sharp whistle she orders Lemmy to stay and guard the wagon as she turns to head into town. Once she is a good distance from the rest of the party she pauses to cast a few spells, the first one causes her already green eyes to flare with a blue tint, the second spell she casts makes her eyes flash yellow and brings them back to their normal Green. Walking into the merchant district she looks around for any discounted magic stores, specifically checking shops for discounted wands as well as the materials to craft a few potions.






    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Looking to Purchase the below Items

    Wand of Cure Light Wounds (10 charges or less - 15gp/charge)
    Reagents for crafting the below items
    Alchemist's fire x4 6.66gp each
    Suffocating powder x4 15gp each
    Shriek bomb x2 15gp each
    Blasting jelly x6 15gp each

    Spells Cast
    Detect Magic
    Read Magic
    Last edited by forg99rules; 2017-07-06 at 06:34 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


    Well after a fun two days of great storytelling we're gonna be picking up in the morning. Apologies to anyone who had to wait.



    The morning sun rises over Mephtasis as its shine scatters among the deepening slopes of the Meph. The traffic is back at its full rapid speed. If one were to fit into the flow of passing feet it would take a good half an hour to get to the warehouse, however now in the morning rush the crowd provides a great cover for the info-collecting onlooker.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kvard51's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    The morning sun finds Djeldir in the crowd of bodies, making his way to the warehouse, gawking at the "sights" in an effort to appear a rustic rube in the big city for the first time. 'n' it shouldn't be tae solid tae keek lik' a rube, shuid it noo Djeldir?

    Spoiler: Translation
    Show
    And it shouldn't be too hard to look like a rube, should it now Djeldir?


    Approaching the warehouse, he slows, but continues to gawk as he slips out of the traffic flow. Continuing to walk, Djeldir begins to inspect the building, looking for doors, windows, and obvious guards. Once he is past, he continues for a short distance, and wiping his brow he sits down with his back against the side of the cavern and begins drawing in the soil with a stick, making a spiral pattern in the dirt while chanting in a whisper. Insects begin to gather around the drawing. Once there is a good handful, he gathers them in his palm and whispers a few words to them. He sets them down and they begin to march towards the warehouse, disappearing into the cracks and crevices of the building.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

    Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2011

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Fallar announces his plans to the group then goes off to do them

    I'm going to look around the area generally, for at least a few blocks. I'm looking to get a general sense of the flow of traffic in the area, and to make sure I'm familiar with all the streets and buildings nearby the target.
    I'm also looking for good locations to observe the target warehouse from; locations that are easy to conceal yourself in, and have a good sightline, or locations wherein lots of people are typically waiting around for something, and one could wait for hours without it being obvious you're up to something; e.g. a place where day laborers gather to be picked up for jobs. (that also has at least some view of the target warehouse). Additionally looking for any listings for temporary jobs in the area that would give me an excuse to be in the area a lot.

    and of course, trying to be subtle to make it not obvious what I'm up to, while keeping an eye out for anyone keeping an eye on me.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

    A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

    An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Hamste's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Can someone help me with isolating one of the guards when they start to leave? Just need to talk to one but would rather have someone give me back up in case I fail to charm the guard. Other than that not much I can do right now unless you have questions or find a document you need forged.
    Eren says when they meet up. Today, he had used his hat to disguise himself as just a normal laborer. A bit dirty, cheap clothes and a fair amount of muscle just as he would expect someone who carried crates all day to have.
    Last edited by Hamste; 2017-07-08 at 08:13 PM.
    Avatar created by Elder Tsofu

    Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    The party arrives at the location of the warehouse as the traffic is truly intensifying in expectation of the coming noon, a scene of crowds flowing through the main street as offshoots dissolve into the market avenues. The storage facility appears as small as Inelia made it seem, a stone structure with a single top-ground level and a flat roof running perpendicular to the road. The architecture looks simplistic and practical, a few cheap cold-colored tapestries running along the longer sided walls as lanterns attached to the sides of the walls fill in for the light lost due to the depth of this area of the cave. The entrance is large, seems to be designed for allowing for easy movement of cargo in and out of the building and the door is flanked by two chairs upon which are sitting well-built yet simply dressed guards. One is holding what looks like a ledger parchment bound to a clay tablet and another is using a whetstone to sharpen an Axfar. The facility lies along a semi-major road, surrounded on the other three sides by market stalls and every now and then by similarly sized storage buildings.

    Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    Fallar announces his plans to the group then goes off to do them

    I'm going to look around the area generally, for at least a few blocks. I'm looking to get a general sense of the flow of traffic in the area, and to make sure I'm familiar with all the streets and buildings nearby the target.
    I'm also looking for good locations to observe the target warehouse from; locations that are easy to conceal yourself in, and have a good sightline, or locations wherein lots of people are typically waiting around for something, and one could wait for hours without it being obvious you're up to something; e.g. a place where day laborers gather to be picked up for jobs. (that also has at least some view of the target warehouse). Additionally looking for any listings for temporary jobs in the area that would give me an excuse to be in the area a lot.

    and of course, trying to be subtle to make it not obvious what I'm up to, while keeping an eye out for anyone keeping an eye on me.
    Traffic flow is heavy and dense at the moment, the few people who stop to look around or re-adjust their shoes make sure to do so on the side of the road as to not get yelled at. Those carrying crates and other heavy objects walk along the side as well, though in the main road oxen are being driven along with the brunt of the cargo being moved around. Market stalls and a road separate the storage facility you are targeting from other significant buildings, this area of the city seems to be the kind of place most people keep their goods before bringing up a bit more towards the entrance of the Meph for selling. The storage facility stands out enough in its more specific location that anywhere within a 25 meter radius of it provides an almost unobscured vantage point if one looks in between the spaces of stalls and passing people, the latter of which also provides a great deal of cover.

    Laborers seem to gather near specific stalls to receive commands and directions from the stall owners, then depart and make their way to the various storage facilities. You struggle to find any proper sign of a vendor hiring, though you could try to strike up a conversation with any of the nearby facilities or stalls.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    Can someone help me with isolating one of the guards when they start to leave? Just need to talk to one but would rather have someone give me back up in case I fail to charm the guard. Other than that not much I can do right now unless you have questions or find a document you need forged.
    Eren says when they meet up. Today, he had used his hat to disguise himself as just a normal laborer. A bit dirty, cheap clothes and a fair amount of muscle just as he would expect someone who carried crates all day to have.
    The guards at the front seem about as energetic as your sloth. Getting them distracted probably wouldn't be too difficult. Getting one off his chair seems it'd be a bit more difficult.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kvard51 View Post
    The morning sun finds Djeldir in the crowd of bodies, making his way to the warehouse, gawking at the "sights" in an effort to appear a rustic rube in the big city for the first time. 'n' it shouldn't be tae solid tae keek lik' a rube, shuid it noo Djeldir?

    Spoiler: Translation
    Show
    And it shouldn't be too hard to look like a rube, should it now Djeldir?


    Approaching the warehouse, he slows, but continues to gawk as he slips out of the traffic flow. Continuing to walk, Djeldir begins to inspect the building, looking for doors, windows, and obvious guards. Once he is past, he continues for a short distance, and wiping his brow he sits down with his back against the side of the cavern and begins drawing in the soil with a stick, making a spiral pattern in the dirt while chanting in a whisper. Insects begin to gather around the drawing. Once there is a good handful, he gathers them in his palm and whispers a few words to them. He sets them down and they begin to march towards the warehouse, disappearing into the cracks and crevices of the building.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    A dutiful roach returns after a mere hour and you tap into its memories of the facility. A rectangular surface of stone, well preserved, disturbed by the shapes of crates and chests. The memory leads to to a wooden door, and beyond it another room well decorated with the shapes of furniture. Crawling back out the memories lead to another passageway leading downward. Stair steps lead to another rectangular room with a single shape blotting out from the regular surface. No defenses, alarms, or runes are sensed.

    ---

    In the hour it takes Djeldir's little buddy to make his way back Fallar and the rest of you watching the facility manage to go unnoticed by the incredibly alert guards, who at one point commence in the same dice game you watched the merchants play outside Inelia's office. The two are eventually interrupted by a short-haired man with a brisk walk who approaches the guards and seems delighted at the end of some tedious journey. He unveils what looks like a street map and shows the guards with hand motions that he'd been having a rough time due to thinking one part of the market is directly near another part whereas the two were distinctly distant. One of the guards politely nods his head and makes some gestures towards the map, while another views the ledger parchment and asks the visitor his name. The guard then seems to make a line on the parchment with his writing instrument and lets the visitor inside, who then exits the building a few minutes later very carefully handling a small chest and leaves. The guards return to their chair-slumped positions and watch the crowd. For a moment one of you thinks the guards might be assuming a state of heightened alertness and focus until you realize they have simply been overtaken by the stimulus of a passing attractive woman.
    Last edited by Xenoposeidon; 2017-07-09 at 02:15 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2011

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Fallar continues loose surveillance from a distance (walking around in the streets, and at quite a distance from the target; far enough away that he will miss some things happening there).

    Also at some point walking by and making sure I have enough of a sense of how the guards look to recognize them later (if I can do that without staring).

    Trying to get a sense of the overall neighborhood for the next several blocks in terms of how safe it is. Noting how frequent city and any other guards are, and what their response times are like (in a city this big there's bound to be stuff happening). If anything major/interesting happens vaguely nearby go to join the crowd of onlookers that forms.

    Look for good vantage points that have an elevated view of either of the 2 intersections nearest the target, so that I could spot guards leaving for a potential tail. Or simply vantage points along the same road, but distant (>70 meters) that could provide such a view.

    finally, locate the nearest taverns to the target.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

    A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

    An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)


    (During The Night)

    The dwindling bustle of the night stalls had made it easier to find what all she had been looking for. It was easy to see just from each of their personalities and backgrounds that they would all have their own way of doing things. Operating autonomously wasn't a problem, but she'd taken on the mantle of such an individual who was reliant upon others - the objective had been to simply throw off her trail from the Trade Minister, that objective had been met. New preparations were now in order for what was to come.

    Quickly returning to her wagon, she stepped over her sleeping companions and quietly gathered some of her tools and cookware before departing once again. Navigating away from her mobile home, she found another cavernous niche not too far away. Setting up a kettle and tripod over a small stone circle she struck a small white alchemic stone. Placing the fuel pellet beneath the kettle, she begun to blend some tobacco by candle light as the lightless-flameless fire started heating the pot. When she finished, she begun to mix one of her flasks of apple juice and molasses from her seasoning kit, letting it come to a simmer before adding in the tobacco.

    Taking off her glasses she rubbed her eyes, she could feel the weariness begin to creep in. Sleep was a waste of time for a magician, but more importantly, she didn't want to dream. Good or bad, she had no interest in the subconscious illusions bound within her mind. Reality was right here, today, and her dreams only ever lingered in days long past. It was a distraction and it was inefficient. Pointing out two fingers she quickly traced a line of eldritch script in the air which carved sigils of starlight before her, with a snap of her fingers the magic manifested in a small sparkle of twinkling lights. Feeling rejuvenated, the weight washed away, she went back to work.

    While the pot simmered and stirred, she laid out her tools, beginning to mix dyes - her recipe wouldn't be done for another hour or so, thus she placed the lid on its top to let it properly cook. Using the colored pigments, she dyed her hair a dark brunette hue before dying her quiver and bow a deep forest green with a separate mixture. The bow had been naturally green once anyways, well, close to seven decades ago - whatever had burnt it black had been so terrible not even the healing properties of the legendary wood from which it was crafted could undo what had been done. Her father would never explain what had caused it, but her grandfather always had some fantastical story; sometimes he'd claim it was scorched by dragon-flame, and other days it would be an evil faery, sometimes both, the only consistency was that it was one of the three. There was likely an answer somewhere in some dusty tome in the family treasury, but she'd only seen those walls once... Regardless the colors weren't permanent, but they couldn't simply be washed and scrubbed off either.

    Taking out her other tools, she looked in the mirror at her left brow where a faint scar still lingered, a souvenir from one of her first encounters with criminal magicians. It could have been removed by magical means, but she kept it as a reminder, and as long as her hair was it wasn't something which could be noticed without pointing it out. Right now, that was the idea. Mixing some shaving powder with one of her brushes, she applied it to her brow before carefully shaving away a small portion of her hair where the scar was - as if the follicles had never regrown from where the blade had marred her flesh. Cleaning up her face, she finished dying her brows the same color as the rest.

    Using the heat from the top of the kettle, she placed a small metal plate with a few beads of animal glue on top to melt the resin. While the plate heated she begun styling her hair, using comb and scissors to shorten one side of her bangs while leaving the other long. Both sides still covered her brow when left unkempt but allowed for greater versatility in what she decided to do with it. Looking in the mirror she could see the beginnings of another figure begin to form. Taking the heated plate in one heavily gloved hand, she put it down and mixed it with a small portion of watered down molasses and three parts of oil before mixing it into a clear paste. Dipping one of her horn-toothed combs in the mixture, she combed back the shorter side of her hair with the gel revealing the scarred side of her face. Using the gelatinous paste she combed down the long bangs on the other side and brought back the rest into clean and tightly fixed position, tying it off with a band of leather to keep it out of her face. Looking at the mirror, the crisp and tightly held mane gave her the appearance of a fairly experienced soldier - or perhaps a veteran mercenary.

    Completing her new hairdo, she inspected her little concoction in the kettle - seeing it was done, she begun packing the somewhat moist contents in a vial and took down the pot to cool. Afterwards, she begun to change the entirety of her garb, donning the thick brown leathers of the well maintained soldier's uniform, minus any heraldry which might associate her with any particular place. The thick gloves and heavy iron toed boots were a vast difference from her previous robes and such, she looked in the mirror to make adjustments to the outfit.

    Digging in her bag she pulled out her heavy traveling cloak, it was just the kind of thing she'd expect to be worn by a traveling sword-for-hire; it was resistant to the weather and was just the kind of thing you'd want during a hard night in the wilderness. Using another vial, she dyed it in a similar dark forest green and threw it around her shoulders before clasping the simple bronze-pinned brooch. From her belt pouch she produced a pair of earplugs. Pushing the small spongy devices into her ears she yawned once, then twice to get used to the strange feeling and a feel for her somewhat muted senses. She was supposed to be tone-deaf, faking that at all times made for a task too easy to fail at. Actually being tone deaf to a degree however, well that changed everything.

    Looking in the mirror, she could feel herself beginning to fall into character, beginning to become this someone, this no one. "Oh my, just look at you." The figure in the mirror replied in return, "Heh, an' who you supposta be?" A raspy boisterous voice, as if it belonged to some rough and wild she-devil. They spoke for a time, until the candle burned low, then burned out. Then, as the hours rolled passed and into a darkness of a different sort, only one voice spoke.

    Spoiler: Actions - The Night Before
    Show
    ⯎ Cast Keep Watch
    ⯎ Dye Kit Uses (8/10)
    ⯎ Disguise DC - Take 20: [27] - 6 Hours Later...
    Disguise Bonus (+5 - Minor Details/Clothing)
    ⯎ Does not prepare new spells during the night - delaying.
    (Received associated benefits of 8-hours of sleep from casting Keep Watch.)

    (Disguise Skill Reference - Non-Impersonation/Non-Familiarity)
    Your Disguise check result determines how good the disguise is, and it is opposed by others’ Perception check results. If you don’t draw any attention to yourself, others do not get to make Perception checks.

    (Disguise Skill Reference - With Familiarity)
    Usually, an individual makes a Perception check to see through your disguise immediately upon meeting you and every hour thereafter. If you casually meet many different creatures, each for a short time, check once per day or hour, using an average Perception modifier for the group.





    ●▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩ Xyrell Aelsis ۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬●

    The morning light of the sun crested and slowly crept forward back into her world, to find a stranger, a soldier, sitting upon a large stone mumbling something or another to herself. With sword, quiver and bow belted by baldric to her back, she pulled up the collar of her cowl to stave off the chill morning breeze. First light. She'd strapped on her armor an hour ago, waiting for the sun to part the dark of night. Her clothes were rough, scratched and worn as if she'd been thrown across the rocks or seen a few brawls. Her armor was evidently donned hastily as it wasn't properly worn, a measure of her breast was left uncovered but it only served to add a certain distracting allure to the warrior.

    As soon as the light touched the city, she rose and begun wandering through the streets. Starting with the market, she looked for an old second-hand shield to purchase. Seeing a beaten up wooden barrier, she took to purchasing it as soon as she could before moving off to look for various other wares more often employed by hunters and thieves. Finishing in the market, she wandered about near the plaza where other mercs had gathered seeking work. She idled away there for awhile, chewing on a piece of dried and seasoned beef before sneering and storming off in frustration at the pitiful work being pitched to the sad crowd of hopefuls.

    Wandering about she finished her meager rations while she strutted through the street as if she owned every individual stone underfoot. She wasn't tall, but she was perhaps the largest figure muscling through the roads by another standard. Her head was held high, with a proud back and a piercing eye leering out. It had been perhaps a few hours, she'd forgotten where she was even going for a time until the attentive gaze of two men caught her attention as she passed. Initially she didn't stop, but the passing sight of the dice caught her interest and held it. With a loose swaying motion she turned about, now moving towards the guards. "Oi, you sorry lot so 'occupied' ya' gots time teh be all fixated and sheit?" If she didn't open her mouth, and wasn't focused on anything in particular - there was a certain serene beauty that might be appreciated from the swordswoman. However, much like a mirror with a brick crashing through it, that image suddenly was replaced by the loud raucous sellsword who seemed to emanate a certain wild fire. "If ya don't got sheit else to do, show me how you play - whatever game dis is supposed to be. You can win some coin right? Gods know I needs it." She wasn't yelling... but she was loud. It was perhaps the same tone one would imagine spoken by an Azmarisian infantry captain to his assembled soldiers. A certain forceful authority driven by purpose. She had already found a seat on the ground next to the dice without waiting for a reply or before one could be given. Her sword's scabbard pushed off the ground and into her back driving her to lean forward which provided a certain suggestive view unintentionally. Digging out a few coins, she dropped six pieces of gold on the dice. "Ya' can keep half fer' showin' how ya' play dis', but ya' gonna have teh' win da' rest. Unless ya' afraid of lookin' like an ass loosin'teh a woman." The last bit was spoken with a certain devilish grin.


    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Intimidate Take 10: [18] - Coerce them to teach the dice game to prove they're not, Ch-Ch-Chicken!

    Purchase:
    ✦ Heavy Wooden Shield (7gp)
    ✦ Camouflage netting (Urban) (20gp)
    ✦ Camouflage blanket (Urban) (12 gp)


  20. - Top - End - #50
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    forg99rules's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    ¤¤¤¤¤‡ Yuna Serblias ‡¤¤¤¤¤







    Yuna awoke in the morning feeling refreshed, she donned her armor and called Lemmy to her side. Making her way to the warehouse with the others she soon breaks off into the crowd as they neared the location. Sending Lemmy up into the air to keep watch high above she moves through the crowd, slipping between people as she makes her way to each side of the building. Stepping into a more hidden alcove she casts a spell, her eyes flash a blue with the power of the spell. Having prepared herself a little bit more against mages she once again makes her way around the building all the while trying to get a sense of what magic may protect it.






    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Spell Cast= Detect Magic

    If she senses magic coming from the building she will find a spot near it to try and get a better understanding of what magic might be at work.
    Spellcraft roll - (1d20+6)[14]
    Knowledge Arcana roll - (1d20+6)[15]


  21. - Top - End - #51
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by forg99rules View Post
    ¤¤¤¤¤‡ Yuna Serblias ‡¤¤¤¤¤







    Yuna awoke in the morning feeling refreshed, she donned her armor and called Lemmy to her side. Making her way to the warehouse with the others she soon breaks off into the crowd as they neared the location. Sending Lemmy up into the air to keep watch high above she moves through the crowd, slipping between people as she makes her way to each side of the building. Stepping into a more hidden alcove she casts a spell, her eyes flash a blue with the power of the spell. Having prepared herself a little bit more against mages she once again makes her way around the building all the while trying to get a sense of what magic may protect it.






    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Spell Cast= Detect Magic

    If she senses magic coming from the building she will find a spot near it to try and get a better understanding of what magic might be at work.
    Spellcraft roll - [roll0]
    Knowledge Arcana roll - [roll1]

    Yuna manages to circle the building undetected by the guards, those being distracted by the disguised Inquisitor's largely incoherent attempt at a lowborn accent.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show


    Yuna does not detect any particular active spell standing out from the omnipresent array of auras and commodities of the market.



    Quote Originally Posted by Mornings View Post

    Spoiler: Actions - The Night Before
    Show
    ⯎ Cast Keep Watch
    ⯎ Dye Kit Uses (8/10)
    ⯎ Disguise DC - Take 20: [27] - 6 Hours Later...
    Disguise Bonus (+5 - Minor Details/Clothing)
    ⯎ Does not prepare new spells during the night - delaying.
    (Received associated benefits of 8-hours of sleep from casting Keep Watch.)

    (Disguise Skill Reference - Non-Impersonation/Non-Familiarity)
    Your Disguise check result determines how good the disguise is, and it is opposed by others’ Perception check results. If you don’t draw any attention to yourself, others do not get to make Perception checks.

    (Disguise Skill Reference - With Familiarity)
    Usually, an individual makes a Perception check to see through your disguise immediately upon meeting you and every hour thereafter. If you casually meet many different creatures, each for a short time, check once per day or hour, using an average Perception modifier for the group.





    ●▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩ Xyrell Aelsis ۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬●

    The morning light of the sun crested and slowly crept forward back into her world, to find a stranger, a soldier, sitting upon a large stone mumbling something or another to herself. With sword, quiver and bow belted by baldric to her back, she pulled up the collar of her cowl to stave off the chill morning breeze. First light. She'd strapped on her armor an hour ago, waiting for the sun to part the dark of night. Her clothes were rough, scratched and worn as if she'd been thrown across the rocks or seen a few brawls. Her armor was evidently donned hastily as it wasn't properly worn, a measure of her breast was left uncovered but it only served to add a certain distracting allure to the warrior.

    As soon as the light touched the city, she rose and begun wandering through the streets. Starting with the market, she looked for an old second-hand shield to purchase. Seeing a beaten up wooden barrier, she took to purchasing it as soon as she could before moving off to look for various other wares more often employed by hunters and thieves. Finishing in the market, she wandered about near the plaza where other mercs had gathered seeking work. She idled away there for awhile, chewing on a piece of dried and seasoned beef before sneering and storming off in frustration at the pitiful work being pitched to the sad crowd of hopefuls.

    Wandering about she finished her meager rations while she strutted through the street as if she owned every individual stone underfoot. She wasn't tall, but she was perhaps the largest figure muscling through the roads by another standard. Her head was held high, with a proud back and a piercing eye leering out. It had been perhaps a few hours, she'd forgotten where she was even going for a time until the attentive gaze of two men caught her attention as she passed. Initially she didn't stop, but the passing sight of the dice caught her interest and held it. With a loose swaying motion she turned about, now moving towards the guards. "Oi, you sorry lot so 'occupied' ya' gots time teh be all fixated and sheit?" If she didn't open her mouth, and wasn't focused on anything in particular - there was a certain serene beauty that might be appreciated from the swordswoman. However, much like a mirror with a brick crashing through it, that image suddenly was replaced by the loud raucous sellsword who seemed to emanate a certain wild fire. "If ya don't got sheit else to do, show me how you play - whatever game dis is supposed to be. You can win some coin right? Gods know I needs it." She wasn't yelling... but she was loud. It was perhaps the same tone one would imagine spoken by an Azmarisian infantry captain to his assembled soldiers. A certain forceful authority driven by purpose. She had already found a seat on the ground next to the dice without waiting for a reply or before one could be given. Her sword's scabbard pushed off the ground and into her back driving her to lean forward which provided a certain suggestive view unintentionally. Digging out a few coins, she dropped six pieces of gold on the dice. "Ya' can keep half fer' showin' how ya' play dis', but ya' gonna have teh' win da' rest. Unless ya' afraid of lookin' like an ass loosin'teh a woman." The last bit was spoken with a certain devilish grin.


    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Intimidate Take 10: [18] - Coerce them to teach the dice game to prove they're not, Ch-Ch-Chicken!

    Purchase:
    ✦ Heavy Wooden Shield (7gp)
    ✦ Camouflage netting (Urban) (20gp)
    ✦ Camouflage blanket (Urban) (12 gp)

    [/font][/size]
    Yelena's disguise is well made, shaped by years of experience. The diction is a little less convincing. Regardless, the two guards look at each other then back you, then back at each other, then once again towards you, and the challenge is accepted. The guards teach Yelena the basics of the game in a bit of a jumbled way, as if tripping over each other's explanations repeatedly, all while making jokes of varying subtlety about your Eastern Amarisian origin which they accurately surmise from the skin and inaccurately from the speech pattern. The gist is fairly simple, predictions are made about the turnout of combined dice rolls and gambled upon, short blessings to Tyr are made in great quantity throughout the game. One of the two looks still invested in his job and often glances away from the game, yet overall the two are fairly thoroughly focused on the dice.

    Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    Fallar continues loose surveillance from a distance (walking around in the streets, and at quite a distance from the target; far enough away that he will miss some things happening there).

    Also at some point walking by and making sure I have enough of a sense of how the guards look to recognize them later (if I can do that without staring).

    Trying to get a sense of the overall neighborhood for the next several blocks in terms of how safe it is. Noting how frequent city and any other guards are, and what their response times are like (in a city this big there's bound to be stuff happening). If anything major/interesting happens vaguely nearby go to join the crowd of onlookers that forms.

    Look for good vantage points that have an elevated view of either of the 2 intersections nearest the target, so that I could spot guards leaving for a potential tail. Or simply vantage points along the same road, but distant (>70 meters) that could provide such a view.

    finally, locate the nearest taverns to the target.
    Fallar gets enough of a sense of the guards to recognize them. One has dark black hair and a short mustache (the one holding the ledger-tablet), the other is moderately handsome and possesses long brown hair.

    The Gartan Untheris patrol the area regularly. At some point you happen across a merchant aggressively shouting threats at another as a circle of workers serving the two forms, unwilling to intervene to any great capacity. About two minutes later five Gartan in pitch black armor arrive and immediately tackle down the two merchants while shouting at the various workers to lie down on the ground with the hair over their heads. The merchants attempt to explain the incident was not violent or criminal yet just an outburst between rivals, but the guards quiet them and proceed to half-search-half-tear down a few of the market stalls citing a search for contraband goods. The sergeant among the guards eventually communicates with one of the merchants and calls off his men, who leave the merchants, workers, and now assembled crowd with the message that no violence is tolerated in the market.

    At this depth the cave is beginning to slightly curve inward and from a distance of 70 meters you are able to spot many wall-side balconies which make for good vantage points. If you could get on the roof of a nearby storage house you could view events from even closer, yet that would require finding a way up.

    The nearest tavern-like establishment is a caravansary not too far away from the warehouse by the name of "Web End"
    Last edited by Xenoposeidon; 2017-07-13 at 12:36 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2011

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Fallar

    (i'm not sure when in the day we are, i'm assuming late afternoon-ish)
    I go to the web end tavern and will stay there idly chatting with people there and eating. and waiting to see if the guards stop by the tavern after work.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

    A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

    An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)


    ●▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩ Xyrell Aelsis ۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬●

    The roguish mercenary listened intently to the game's rules. Initially, she'd just assumed it was a more-or-less standard dice toss with which wagers were placed, and while that wasn't completely incorrect, it had been far more complicated in reality then she'd thought. It took a few practice games before everything came together. During the tutorial she took out a pinch of the homemade snus and stuck the tobacco in her cheek. Of course, the game seemed wholly based on luck, but where there was money there was people who'd invented ways to cheat - and if she could find similar methods that would surely aid in funding her own ventures.

    Spitting off to the side, she nodded as the instruction concluded. "...Quite some rules. Think I gots da' idea though. How 'bout three games fer da' other shineies? Gives some time teh' practice before tryin' luck at da' taverns." She didn't know all their fancy words, and it was her third language - nevermind the blisters from excessive tobacco use. Having traveled so much, she knew enough to get by, but it often made her speech sound crude. A miss-mash of common terms and phrases learned from dirtied mercs and travelers in rundown inns or taverns, rather than out of a book. Not all the words were necessarily used or spoken correctly, but rather favored similar manners of speech to the common folk which she worked with and learned from. Picking up the dice in hand she started giving them a good shake. "Must be some trick as teh why peoples be winning. Some sorta' strategy, right? Once dat all figured out, gonna be rollin' in da' money." With that she cast the dice.

    Spoiler: Actions - Game
    Show

    Game 1: (1d20)[14]
    Game 2: (1d20)[7]
    Game 3: (1d20)[6]

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Hamste's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    With no one helping him Eren just sighs. He might as well try to charm them but it would have been so much more convincing if anyone had worked with him. At least Xyrell was distracting them. Hopefully, that would be enough distraction for his spell casting.

    He starts walking down the street across from them still in his laborer form. He puts on a face filled with rage and starts walking slowly down the street wringing his hands.

    Short me out of my money, eh. Stupid bastards don't know who they are messing with.
    He says trying his absolute best not to yawn. He is speaking in a normal volume though filled with absolute hatred at his imaginary employer. His hands are jammed into his pockets where he does certain fine movements to complete his spells.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Anyone who pays attention to him can make a DC 18 perception or spellcraft to notice his spell somatic spell casting
    DC 20 perception, spellcraft or sense motive to notice his vocal spell casting. Hopefully the guards are distracted enough either to not get a chance or get a penalty.

    One of the guards makes DC 17 will save (Too bad sloth isn't in their square) or get affected by charm person

    So many chances to notice my spell casting or just resist :(

    Avatar created by Elder Tsofu

    Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    Fallar

    (i'm not sure when in the day we are, i'm assuming late afternoon-ish)
    I go to the web end tavern and will stay there idly chatting with people there and eating. and waiting to see if the guards stop by the tavern after work.
    The caravansary is quite different from the taverns of the upper parts of the cave and the port district, it is composed of a large courtyard surrounded on all sides by a single leveled well-decorated building. Within the courtyard several market-stall like vendors distribute food and drink while caravan workers and other willing customers sit on cushions throughout the courtyard and socialize. You sit down by one group who notices your presence and seems to switch to another topic of discussion when you join, now talking about a recent tragedy in which a caravan worker they know was brutally killed and tortured by a pack of dark-eyed elves who left his body in the form of a three dimensional painting on the cave wall for all to see.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mornings View Post

    ●▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩ Xyrell Aelsis ۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬●

    The roguish mercenary listened intently to the game's rules. Initially, she'd just assumed it was a more-or-less standard dice toss with which wagers were placed, and while that wasn't completely incorrect, it had been far more complicated in reality then she'd thought. It took a few practice games before everything came together. During the tutorial she took out a pinch of the homemade snus and stuck the tobacco in her cheek. Of course, the game seemed wholly based on luck, but where there was money there was people who'd invented ways to cheat - and if she could find similar methods that would surely aid in funding her own ventures.

    Spitting off to the side, she nodded as the instruction concluded. "...Quite some rules. Think I gots da' idea though. How 'bout three games fer da' other shineies? Gives some time teh' practice before tryin' luck at da' taverns." She didn't know all their fancy words, and it was her third language - nevermind the blisters from excessive tobacco use. Having traveled so much, she knew enough to get by, but it often made her speech sound crude. A miss-mash of common terms and phrases learned from dirtied mercs and travelers in rundown inns or taverns, rather than out of a book. Not all the words were necessarily used or spoken correctly, but rather favored similar manners of speech to the common folk which she worked with and learned from. Picking up the dice in hand she started giving them a good shake. "Must be some trick as teh why peoples be winning. Some sorta' strategy, right? Once dat all figured out, gonna be rollin' in da' money." With that she cast the dice.

    Spoiler: Actions - Game
    Show

    Game 1: [roll0]
    Game 2: [roll1]
    Game 3: [roll2]
    The men seem amused by your notion of strategy in their game. Claiming the game was invented by Tyr, god of Luck. Only way to win is to make sure he favors your dice. They continue to argue about whether he ascended by winning a game against one of Older's lieutenants who was to be ascended by the firstgod, or by killing said lieutenant. The argument by itself is pretty banal, and reached no conclusion by the end of your matches. The end results, while not unlikely, are quite odd - each of you had won a single match of the three you played. The result provokes one of the guards to start telling a story of him playing against a Tyr priest once...

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    As you each won a single match in total, you don't earn or lose any gold.


    Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    With no one helping him Eren just sighs. He might as well try to charm them but it would have been so much more convincing if anyone had worked with him. At least Xyrell was distracting them. Hopefully, that would be enough distraction for his spell casting.

    He starts walking down the street across from them still in his laborer form. He puts on a face filled with rage and starts walking slowly down the street wringing his hands.

    Short me out of my money, eh. Stupid bastards don't know who they are messing with.
    He says trying his absolute best not to yawn. He is speaking in a normal volume though filled with absolute hatred at his imaginary employer. His hands are jammed into his pockets where he does certain fine movements to complete his spells.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Anyone who pays attention to him can make a DC 18 perception or spellcraft to notice his spell somatic spell casting
    DC 20 perception, spellcraft or sense motive to notice his vocal spell casting. Hopefully the guards are distracted enough either to not get a chance or get a penalty.

    One of the guards makes DC 17 will save (Too bad sloth isn't in their square) or get affected by charm person

    So many chances to notice my spell casting or just resist :(

    The guards, too focused on their game of dice, do not notice you as you cast your spell. You can feel the spell easily taking root inside the mind of one of the guards, who almost immediately perks up and calls you to join their game as it sure would lighten your mood.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)


    ●▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩ Xyrell Aelsis ۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬●

    The stout warrior looked on at the results of their matches somewhat perplexed. Perhaps it was simply a manner of luck and chance, but there was always a way to sway the odds to ones own favor in any game. "Hm, curious..." An idea begun to take root in her mind with how they might just make some coin off the whole affair. She listened to the guard's recounting of some ancient tales intently, looking for any manner of hint about the game's secret but finding none. "Well, god's aside, game 'bout luck means'a game 'bout chance. Last I checked, more men means more chances, right?" Briefly pausing to spit out some of the black tarry liquid to the side, she continued. "Three honest sods like us stand something teh gain from split wages, ya? We could all put in three pieces down in a pool, jump on a tavern and try teh win a game. All dat matters is one'a us wins and everyone gets back their money, and a bit extra. Even wit' jus' one other man at da table we each win another piece. Gods notwithstandin', the odds are highly against a single man beatin' out the whole goddamed table, amiright?" She looked at each of them to gauge their interest. "So who wants teh make some damn money? Surely ya can't be watching dis' blasted door all night. I'd wager ya'd make more running da' dice in a night over whatever da' hell dis' pays. Or do ya' satisfied earnin' piss pay for sheit work?"

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Intimidate Take 10: [18] - Nag them to help scam dice games after they get off from shift at the local taverns.




  27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Hamste's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Sure, I could use some distraction. What game we playing?
    Eren says still looking quite irritated at the feigned problem. He will play for a bit before finally asking.

    So, what exactly are you doing here? I mean obviously guarding but seems pretty slow around here. Do thieves really try to break in that often?
    Avatar created by Elder Tsofu

    Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    Sure, I could use some distraction. What game we playing?
    Eren says still looking quite irritated at the feigned problem. He will play for a bit before finally asking.

    So, what exactly are you doing here? I mean obviously guarding but seems pretty slow around here. Do thieves really try to break in that often?
    "Mostly just check that the right people get the right shipments. It's not so much that we have thieves to fight off all the time as the fact that our presence scares off the thieves." The guard turns to the other. "How does the saying go again? Stuff goes down the path of no force? No wait that doesn't make sense. No resistance? Least resistance, that's it. Yeah. If the thieves see the two of us outside here they figure it probably be best to just go somewhere with less guards. Or no guards. You get the point."

    Quote Originally Posted by Mornings View Post

    ●▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩ Xyrell Aelsis ۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬●

    The stout warrior looked on at the results of their matches somewhat perplexed. Perhaps it was simply a manner of luck and chance, but there was always a way to sway the odds to ones own favor in any game. "Hm, curious..." An idea begun to take root in her mind with how they might just make some coin off the whole affair. She listened to the guard's recounting of some ancient tales intently, looking for any manner of hint about the game's secret but finding none. "Well, god's aside, game 'bout luck means'a game 'bout chance. Last I checked, more men means more chances, right?" Briefly pausing to spit out some of the black tarry liquid to the side, she continued. "Three honest sods like us stand something teh gain from split wages, ya? We could all put in three pieces down in a pool, jump on a tavern and try teh win a game. All dat matters is one'a us wins and everyone gets back their money, and a bit extra. Even wit' jus' one other man at da table we each win another piece. Gods notwithstandin', the odds are highly against a single man beatin' out the whole goddamed table, amiright?" She looked at each of them to gauge their interest. "So who wants teh make some damn money? Surely ya can't be watching dis' blasted door all night. I'd wager ya'd make more running da' dice in a night over whatever da' hell dis' pays. Or do ya' satisfied earnin' piss pay for sheit work?"

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Intimidate Take 10: [18] - Nag them to help scam dice games after they get off from shift at the local taverns.



    The guards are taken aback a little and look at each other. The one with the ledger looks reluctant but the one that's been talking to Eren looks somewhat convinced and is about to respond to his fellow guard's expression when out of the facility's entrance quickly emerges a stern looking, tall man in heavier armor. The two guards turn and immediately begin standing up.

    "What are you two doing?" He says and grabs the ledger out of one the guard's hand. "You can gamble away your pay after duty hours, you lazy sheep-born Sahuagin-step dimwits. Eyes scanning. No distractions." The man slaps the other guard with the ledger and hands it to the first, then peaks over their shoulders at the two of you.

    "Who're you?" He says, glancing quickly between Yelena's shield and face and moving towards Eren.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mornings's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Outside

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)


    ●▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩ Xyrell Aelsis ۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬●

    Without missing a beat the mercenary sprung off the ground as if responding to a cue. With hand-to-waist she took on a dashing pose and shamelessly went about her usual routine of self-advertisement. " 'Pureblade Aelsis' is what da' folks back east call me, but it's Xyrell Aelsis if ya want teh be formal. Da' very-same 'tireless hunter of magical creatures and 'things-gone-wrong' ', at ya' service. Tracking, hunting, capture - ya' name it, I'm every mage's friend. My skills might not be legendary, but my deals are! Even offering'a first time employer's discount fer' da' next three days, so don't hesitate to ask" She cleared her throat, spitting off to the corner and dropping the sales tone. " 'Course I take on more... conventional work as well, doesn't really matter what it is... but if it ain't magical in nature, it's something of a waste'a my skills and tools." She gestured with the weapon on her back to briefly reveal the cold iron of its blade. " Wif' dat' being said, how might'a humble ranger such'as myself address ya', good sir?." There was a subtle implication in her voice that sounded less than appreciative of the stream of insults directed at her new lowborn gambling friends in her last words.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Intimidate Take 10: [18] - I kill magical things! So stop making fun of my new friends and tell me your name big boss! lol


  30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Hamste's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: Tales from the Orda: Lights and Shadows [Pathfinder] (IC)

    I'm Simaf. Sorry, didn't mean to bother. Just needed some distraction. This seems like a bad time to ask for a box moving job so I will just get going.

    Eren says getting up quickly looking flustered. This didn't seem like a good time to try to charm the guard leader. If he had both guards charmed, then maybe but with just one trying to charm didn't seem likely to go unpunished.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Will include a diplomacy check on the off chance Eren somehow makes a good impression on the man.

    Diplomacy

    (1d20+2)[13]

    Avatar created by Elder Tsofu

    Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •