New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Is there a male version of nymphs?

Before anyone says anything, YES I KNOW, that Satyrs are basically the male equivalent for the Nymphs and when they copulate if the baby is male it’s a Satyr and if it’s female it’s a Nymph. And although some are very handsome most are short, fat, hairy and ugly with crooked faces and creepy facial expressions.

What I’m asking is: If is there a mythological creature, a river spirit, that looks like a young, hunky and handsome lad that help adventures, and live underwater.

Is there such thing? I know that "Sit still, look pretty" is not a very manly thing to do but still it’s the same problem with Incubus, the females get to be super-hot demons and the guys have to be imp like short creatures. What’s the deal?

My players are exploring an cave, one of the players found a nymph in the grotto, I was palyign to make her charm him and steal his stuff but he said “Hey this is obviously a trap but screw that” and started making out with her, as the group plans to go rescue him I wanted to have more nymphs to try to charm them but one of the players is a girl who is playing with a female character and the other is a guy who is playing as a slutty sorceress.

This whole scenario started to become like joke and I don’t want to leave anyone left out. :p

Perhaps I should just give up this idea before it gets out of hand xD
    Last edited by Perch; 2017-07-03 at 12:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Is there a male version of nymphs?

Well, in Pathfinder, at least, incubi actually are portrayed as "devilishly handsome men". As for your question, off the top of my head, I can't think of any such race, but you could always go for other aquatic beings, with mermen being the most obvious.
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Can't think of any. A problem is there were seldom female adventurers in "traditional" myth and folklore. Therefore a male counterpart of nymphs will be useless to the stories..

I'd just throw in some magical handsome male fey. No root in traditions, but you can make it up and it won't sound too bad.
    Last edited by ahyangyi; 2017-07-03 at 12:42 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Linklele. Thank you!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    Well, in Pathfinder, at least, incubi actually are portrayed as "devilishly handsome men". As for your question, off the top of my head, I can't think of any such race, but you could always go for other aquatic beings, with mermen being the most obvious.
    But that's not hwo they look in the myths:
    Spoiler
    Show

Besides, mermen were traditionally depicted as unattractive. Only now, in some modern depictions they look handsome.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

River gods were totally a thing. However, they weren't seen as seductive, but they could be very passionate -- see Alphaios.

They also looked a bit older than nymphs, nympha simply means girl iirc. I guess that a middle aged godly looking man with a beard still can be seductive for a girl, though.

There's a lot of images of them. Just search river god in Google images.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Satyr is the male equivalent of the nymph.

(it's not a perfect reflection but it's pretty close, as close as you're gonna get without just being a cheap gender swapped copy)

Edit- just here for my daily dose of humiliation humility
    Last edited by Mastikator; 2017-07-03 at 02:31 PM. Reason: I am an idiot
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

The nymph in Pathfinder https://newpathfinderraces.wordpress...4/11/18/nymph/ throughout refers to it as a she, but doesn't specifically state that it has to be. I thought it would be fun to create a male nymph, make him 200+ pounds with charisma as his dump stat. Have him run around dressed only in a speedo. The description of Blinding Beauty doesn't state that the individual actually has to be beautiful. I'm thinking this character would have the blinding ability, but for quite the opposite reason, and he wouldn't be able to turn it off with anything short of invisibility.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Satyr is the male equivalent of the nymph.

(it's not a perfect reflection but it's pretty close, as close as you're gonna get without just being a cheap gender swapped copy)
    *Sigh*

9. - Top - End - #9

ElfRogueGirl

Yes, there is, in Swedish folklore. Google Näcken.

Or if you prefer, wait for me to get home from work tonight, so I'm not posting from a phone, and I'll have details for you.
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

My Player Registry Entry

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Sparkly vampires? *the most evil smiley you can imagine*
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

12. - Top - End - #12

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    That's essentially the same as my suggestion, just a different name
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

My Player Registry Entry

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Perch View Post
    What I’m asking is: If is there a mythological creature, a river spirit, that looks like a young, hunky and handsome lad that help adventures, and live underwater.
    There's this guy (from the movie Spirited Away):

Haku is a river-dragon who turns into a heroically proportioned blush-inducing young man.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Although sexual dimorphism is a fun concept, it doesn't quite click for me with nymphs and satyrs. My general solution for this type of thing is just to say "[other gender] [gender associated creatures] are a thing"*. So yeah, just make the nymphs male, maybe refer to them as water spirits to avoid overloading a term.

The other option (although this doesn't quite answer the question but might still solve the problem) is that nymphs are genderless/bi-gendered and have some limited shape-shifting ability. So the first nymph's friends might shift to there best guess of the rest of the party's preferences.

* With the possible exception of witches for some reason.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by scalyfreak View Post
    Yes, there is, in Swedish folklore. Google Näcken.
    Having googled it, I second this recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Haku is a river-dragon who turns into a heroically proportioned blush-inducing young man.
    Can verify. Related to this, there's nothing stopping you from re-theming any creatures from folklore as "sit still, look pretty" hunky types.

Quote Originally Posted by Perch View Post
    My players are exploring an cave, one of the players found a nymph in the grotto, I was palyign to make her charm him and steal his stuff but he said “Hey this is obviously a trap but screw that” and started making out with her, as the group plans to go rescue him I wanted to have more nymphs to try to charm them but one of the players is a girl who is playing with a female character and the other is a guy who is playing as a slutty sorceress.
    Since nymphs are magical creatures to begin with, could you also just have them shapeshifting or using illusions to alter their appearance? Or automatically being perceived as the observer's desired gender in the first place?

EDIT: Ninja'd! (I've always wanted to get to say that)
    Last edited by BayardSPSR; 2017-07-03 at 04:46 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

The Kelpie or Water Horse from Scottish myth, when they don't look like horses appear as handsome men

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Well, nymphs is a very board term, there are many sub-species such as the Dryads(tree nymphs) and Nereids(Sea nymphs) the Nereid actually had a brother who was called Nerites.

He was basically what you are looking for, a young boy of stunning beauty, even Aphrodite falls in love with him.

Maybe you could call male nymphs Nereid? That would keep the Greek theme.

You may argue that it's the name of a specific being and not a species but the same could be sad about Medusa, Pegasus, hydra, Minotaur etc… That didn’t keep fantasy authors from making a race out of them.

If not I second Näcken (Nix), as usual the Nordic legends are a lot more progressive.

Allowing both beautiful, scantily clad maidens...and handsome, athletic young shirtless men.

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    The Kelpie or Water Horse from Scottish myth, when they don't look like horses appear as handsome men

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie
    But they are violent rather than sexy and seductive.
    Last edited by Shamash; 2017-07-03 at 06:54 PM.
    Shamash! The true sun god!

Praise the sun! \o/

I also have a DeviantArt now... Most are drafts of my D&D campaigns but if you want to take a look.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Fox spirits, which play a similar role in a number of eastern mythologies, can be male or female, and the male versions were generally handsome (also well-spoken and interested in the arts).
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

19. - Top - End - #19

ElfRogueGirl

Since others have already posted links and details on Näcken/Fossegrim, I will refrain. I will instead suggest that one of the possible advantages of using that myth as the blueprint for your water dwelling seducer is that there's a good chance your players won't recognize what manner of creature this is.

He would be very polite, helpful, charming in every way... naked of course, and immediately try to befriend the bard of the group (if there is one).

Not technically a river spirit, not a male nymph, not faerie kind (that is debatable, btw), not a male naiad... you can drive your players crazy with this.
    Last edited by scalyfreak; 2017-07-03 at 07:52 PM.

My Player Registry Entry

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Water horses are dangerous:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippopotamus
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    If there was an American Sitcom based on this it would have someone like Kevin James playing the part!

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Shamash View Post
    Well, nymphs is a very board term, there are many sub-species such as the Dryads(tree nymphs) and Nereids(Sea nymphs) the Nereid actually had a brother who was called Nerites.

He was basically what you are looking for, a young boy of stunning beauty, even Aphrodite falls in love with him.

Maybe you could call male nymphs Nereid? That would keep the Greek theme.

You may argue that it's the name of a specific being and not a species but the same could be sad about Medusa, Pegasus, hydra, Minotaur etc… That didn’t keep fantasy authors from making a race out of them.

If not I second Näcken (Nix), as usual the Nordic legends are a lot more progressive.

Allowing both beautiful, scantily clad maidens...and handsome, athletic young shirtless men.

But they are violent rather than sexy and seductive.
    Cool.

Too bad Googling "nerites" returned me some images of snails, but that's probably the biologists to blame. After all, they also use "nymphs" to denote young insects...
    Awesome avatar by Linklele. Thank you!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Well... In Brazilian folklore, there're tales about the Boto Cor-de-Rosa (aka: Encantado), which is as pinkish dolphin that takes the form of a handsome young man to seduce young ladies. You can probably find more about it by looking for "Encantado"in Google.

EDIT: Encantados also live in rivers and are often described as possessing great singing skills (as well as a myriad of nature/water-themed powers that change from tale to tale), so they are an even better male Nymph-analog!
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-07-04 at 01:42 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Well... In Brazilian folklore, there're tales about the Boto Cor-de-Rosa (aka: Encantado), which is as pinkish dolphin that takes the form of a handsome young man to seduce young ladies. You can probably find more about it by looking for "Encantado"in Google.
    Sounds like they might be related to selkies.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Sounds like they might be related to selkies.
    Might be, but Selkies are usually found in the sea, while Encantados are river dolphins. Both work for the purpose of this thread, though.
    Homebrew Stuff:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Or that a dolphin will rape anything that floats.
    One of the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I think fawns and satyrs were the mythological counterparts to nymphs and dryads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I think fawns and satyrs were the mythological counterparts to nymphs and dryads.

Anyway, I end up going with the Näcken.

Thanks for the help guys!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Satyrs for sure.. Mister Tumnus was a *naughty* fawn.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

@Lemmy: I recall river dolphins were the go-to explanation for when a youbg woman gave birth out of a wedlock.

Girl: "I swear! It was a dolphin!"
    Men of the village: *nodding sagely* "Yes. Totally a dolphin."
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."