New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default What lovecraftian RPG should I choose?

I was hoping to get into one of the Cthulhu RPGs but I can't decide between Trail of Cthulhu (ToC) or Call of Cthulhu (CoC).

I've only played 5th edition d&d (and a very small amount of 3.5) but I'm open to trying out a new system.

My question(s) is/are: should I buy ToC or CoC? If I get CoC which edition should I get? What books do I need to buy to play each system? And why is my computer screen bleeding while showing me impossible beings from beyond our universe?

Thank you and may your dreams bring you to a marvelously sunset city.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post

What are the places: Elf-land. Dwarf-land. Ethnic-stereotype-land(s). And who could forget The Big Chill and Spooky-Underground-Elf-Land?

Necromance if you want to

We can bring your friends to life

But if your friends aren't dead and if they aren't dead then their no friends of mine

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What lovecraftian RPG should I choose?

What are you using it for? ToC is probably a better game in general, but it's very heavily focused towards investigation and investigators, so if you're doing something else CoC might be a better fit. On the other hand, if you're planning on leaning a bit more towards action horror then you'll want Delta Green or Nemesis. Of these Nemesis is free, so that's worth looking at regardless.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.