New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Shower thoughts: the dragonboobs argument on dragonborn

Kinda a dead topic, but something kinda bothered me: how come people don't complain about cat girls only having pair of breast? Cats normally have three total pairs, yet no one is bothered by cat people having only one pair.

Almost as if arguing anatomy in games where Dwarves as a race should have some issues with the sun given how they are depicted as staying underground in their cities or where elves probably stand out like a sore thumb in forests is a completely meaningless argument?

Granted I wouldn't mind if dragonborn sexual dimorphism was less human (body types could just be slimmer for example) but the boobs argument is arguably pointless.

Just wanted to share some boring shower thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    "Just because the DM lets you break the game, doesn't mean the game is broken."
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    "My Patron is Steven Spielberg"
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    For some reason this feels really fitting; I got a mental image of a bunch of psions setting up a LAN party.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Shower thoughts: the dragonboobs argument on dragonborn

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Other than these races not exactly being evolved from cats or dragons, there is the possibility of saying that catfolks do have six nipples but only the upper two get to be on noticeable breasts.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Oh my god I forgot about that one. Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    "Just because the DM lets you break the game, doesn't mean the game is broken."
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    "My Patron is Steven Spielberg"
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    For some reason this feels really fitting; I got a mental image of a bunch of psions setting up a LAN party.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ralanr View Post
    Kinda a dead topic, but something kinda bothered me: how come people don't complain about cat girls only having pair of breast?
    I have on occasion
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ralanr View Post
    how come people don't complain about cat girls only having pair of breast? Cats normally have three total pairs, yet no one is bothered by cat people having only one pair.
    1e "catgirls" got you covered:

Spoiler: Weretiger
    Show

Regarding Dragonborn, in their original 3.5e body-horror incarnation, they were the result of a humanoid voluntarily changing into a dragon-person. The boobs would be the atavistic remnants of the character's original form.

IMHO, 4e and 5e dropped the ball by making Dragonborn a generic race of dragon-people.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Other than these races not exactly being evolved from cats or dragons, there is the possibility of saying that catfolks do have six nipples but only the upper two get to be on noticeable breasts.
    Isn't it more likely that they evolved from humans? I mean they share more characteristics with humans than with cats/dragons/what have you. They are basically hominids.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Isn't it more likely that they evolved from humans? I mean they share more characteristics with humans than with cats/dragons/what have you. They are basically hominids.
    Shifters are descended from weretigers or werewolves, and kind of ill-named since their whole race is stuck mid-shapeshifting. And there is probably a few races of animal people whose ancestors were druids. I guess that counts as fantasy evolution.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    There is no evolution in D&D. All known settings were specially created by deities. Evolutionary arguments do not apply. The gods chose to create catfolk and lizardfolk and whatnot in their current forms for some reason - perhaps they created humans first and then just tweaked that model a lot (or if you believe the elves, tweaked that model) to save time.
    Last edited by Mechalich; 2017-07-07 at 02:11 PM.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    There is no evolution in D&D.
    D&D 3.5e Rules Compendium, p.130 ... uses the term metaphorically.

All known settings were specially created by deities. Evolutionary arguments do not apply.
    Not my settings, and probably not Eberron -- which has dinosaurs explicitly because it did not have an ice-age mass-extinction event.

Greyhawk might have evolution.

Dark Sun? Dunno.

Ravenloft? Maybe if it made things worse, somehow.

Dragonlance? Kender are evidence of inbreeding, so probably yes.

Forgotten Realms? I think their ancient progenitor reptiles snarfed the PC races as slaves from some other world(s) anyway, so presumably there's no conflict with evolution.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Dragonlance? Kender are evidence of inbreeding, so probably yes.
    Your Dragonlance is off. Most of the sapient species on Krynn were created by the gods in their current forms; exceptions being kender, gnomes and draconians. Kender and gnomes are dwarves altered by the Greygem of Gargath, and draconians are, well, draconians. None of them evolved.

There is I think a passing reference to adaption to cold making white dragons stupid in Dragons of Winter Night, but that strikes me as more one of Weis & Hickman's side jokes than anything else.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Your Dragonlance is off.
    No doubt -- I've never played there.

Thanks.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Your Dragonlance is off. Most of the sapient species on Krynn were created by the gods in their current forms; exceptions being kender, gnomes and draconians. Kender and gnomes are dwarves altered by the Greygem of Gargath, and draconians are, well, draconians. None of them evolved.

There is I think a passing reference to adaption to cold making white dragons stupid in Dragons of Winter Night, but that strikes me as more one of Weis & Hickman's side jokes than anything else.
    Its been a while since ive read that book, but isn't that specifically a character (a dragon I think, or possibly a dragon rider) making a disparaging remark about the legitimately stupid whites?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

There is no evolution in D&D. All known settings were specially created by deities. Evolutionary arguments do not apply. The gods chose to create catfolk and lizardfolk and whatnot in their current forms for some reason - perhaps they created humans first and then just tweaked that model a lot (or if you believe the elves, tweaked that model) to save time.
    All known settings were created by deities a minimum of thousands of years ago, and it's often at least tens of thousands. This removes the possibility of a single shared ancestor for all life*, and it reduces the likelihood of speciation for complex organisms pretty dramatically. Allele shifting is still very possible, and judging by how these settings routinely have distinct ethnic groups of humans emerge after the creation point it appears to happen.

*With obvious caveats for aliens and the like.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The principle error is that dragonborn are only sexy to flurries.

Cat girls are sexy to about everyone up until a certain point in the human:animal ratio where it crosses into furrydom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

16. - Top - End - #16

IIRC Eberron explicitly has guided evolution as a thing that exists. IIRC the way the daelkyr create aberrations was explained as through use of a machine that 1.) creates mutated copies of creatures and then makes further mutated copies of the more interesting mutant duplicates and 2.) dialates time in such a way that millions of years of selective breeding can be fit into an afternoon; or something like that.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post

Cat girls are sexy to about everyone up until a certain point in the human:animal ratio where it crosses into furrydom.
    Being sexually interested in anthropomorphic creatures is not a defining characteristic of furries.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Like this 4e shifter versus this 5e tabaxi.
    Spoiler: Meow!
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Also IIRC some of the stuff from the fiendish codices implies that some kind of material life preceeded the gods (in addition the the obryiths, yugoloths, ancient baatorans, and elder evils preceeding the gods as well)

Also it's strongly implied in many places that the gods aren't just empowered by mortal belief, but actually generated from it.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-07-07 at 05:38 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGirl

This sentiment amuses me.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    All known settings were created by deities a minimum of thousands of years ago, and it's often at least tens of thousands. This removes the possibility of a single shared ancestor for all life*, and it reduces the likelihood of speciation for complex organisms pretty dramatically. Allele shifting is still very possible, and judging by how these settings routinely have distinct ethnic groups of humans emerge after the creation point it appears to happen.

*With obvious caveats for aliens and the like.
    Well yeah, but that's not going to get you from humans to catfolk or from cats to catfolk. And the ability of magic to cause macro-scale shifts in form and body type is a much more potent in the context of D&D than any evolutionary process.

IIRC Eberron explicitly has guided evolution as a thing that exists. IIRC the way the daelkyr create aberrations was explained as through use of a machine that 1.) creates mutated copies of creatures and then makes further mutated copies of the more interesting mutant duplicates and 2.) dialates time in such a way that millions of years of selective breeding can be fit into an afternoon; or something like that.
    Such ridiculous kludges are not a point in Eberron's favor, and simply illustrate that when you try and shoehorn evolution into an explicitly mythical setting it quickly becomes stupid.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Such ridiculous kludges are not a point in Eberron's favor, and simply illustrate that when you try and shoehorn evolution into an explicitly mythical setting it quickly becomes stupid.
    I dunno, it sounds like the Eberron version of "a wizard did it." Sure, ok, its a machine instead of a spell, but is that really so much worse just because its got levers or buttons instead of spiderwebs and bat poop?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I dunno, it sounds like the Eberron version of "a wizard did it." Sure, ok, its a machine instead of a spell, but is that really so much worse just because its got levers or buttons instead of spiderwebs and bat poop?
    At D&D's level of magical power, if you're going to manufacture new creatures by magic, just do that. Don't go about using magic to alter the flow of time and somehow breed your way to new creatures in the same time frame. It's still 'a wizard did it' because the explanation is nonsensical, but it's 'a wizard did it Rube-Goldberg style for no reason.'

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

An easy answer to the OP is D&D Dragonborn aren't based on animals known to lactate at all, but Catfolk are.

Though one could just as well argue that catfolk shouldn't have visible mammary glands most of the time either, unless they've recently given birth or are nursing.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, you're saying there's things that aren't better with spiderwebs and bat poop?

Huh, maybe this explains why everybody seems to hate my cooking.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

@Mechalich: Well, the point was less creating new species ex nihilo, because it wasn't creating new species ex nihilo.

It was painfully and gruesomely mutating and physically mutilating base creatures into others. Like when they took two goblins, smooshed them together, and then doubled-down on the insanity that initial smooshing would have produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    And Humans look like them and can breed with just about every sapient race. Which scared the patoots out of the surviving goblinoids when they came to Khorvaire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Duct tape: "because we ran out of spider webs and bat poop."
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

In that case there is no reason to question why lizardfolk would have boobs or not or why catfolk only have two boobs. All those features are artistic decisions, not the result of natural processes.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

29. - Top - End - #29
    Spamalot in the Playground

Humans are very rarely the first humanoids in most settings, which makes the term a bit humorous when you think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Humans are very rarely the first humanoids in most settings, which makes the term a bit humorous when you think about it.
    They are, however, typically the ones to create the common tongue. From that perspective it makes sense they would name things after themselves and in relation to themselves.