Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Chortan's Guild (Rotating DM's Monstrous Gestalt PF, 13th level) re-recruitment

We've had a meaningful amount of attrition, so are doing a re-recruitment.

System: Pathfinder
    Player Count: 7 (4 slots open), but see notes
    Style of Play: Highly variable.
    Allowed Content:
    • Non-variant 1st party Paizo available on d20 PF SRD is open game.
    • All other content (including Paizo content NOT on d20 PF SRD for any reason) must meet the following criteria:
      1. It must be accessible to all players
      2. It must be specifically requested
      3. It must be voted upon; approval requires 2/3rds majority of accepted participants

Character Creation:
    • High Fantasy Point Buy (see Here: 20 points)
    • Starting Level 13 (exact). No XP progression; you gain one level for each completed adventure arc under a given DM. Note that there are good odds this will mess up WBL for later, unclear which direction.
    • PC Wealth by level for 13th (140,000 gp)
    • Gestalt (Monsters as PCs OK as class levels without the buy-down - note that we're using 3.5's Ability Score Adjustments for monstrous PC's)
    • Fractional BAB/saves
    • Two traits
    • Backstory: Definitely have one. We are all assumed to have met, and be allied with each other for one reason or another.
    • Hitpoints/Health: Max first, average (round up) for the rest. So a d12 gets 7 HP (before Con), a d10 gets 6 hp (before con), and so on.
    • Alignment: Any non-evil (Paladin in the group), but MUST be a 'team player'. Those who sabotage their fellows, steal from their allies, or cannot accept a group decision are not the sort that survive very long in a dangerous environment.

Other Notes:
    Rotating DM. Every accepted player is ALSO a DM. We all take turns on being the DM, and each of us runs a "guild mission' (a shortish story arc) - when your turn to DM is up, your PC is elsewhere doing ambiguous things in the background, not on screen. There will be no DMPC's. If a DM vanishes, that arc is dropped, and the next person's turn is up. I took the first story arc (see IC and OOC for an example of how I ran things), and Illven is taking the second.

If you have trouble coming up with adventuring ideas, here's a modest method intended to help inspire based on a lecture I heard while in high school:
    Spoiler
    Show

1) Come up with a listing of thematically-approrpiate nouns, and number them.
    Spoiler: example nouns
    Show
    1:Princess, 2:Queen, 3:Prince, 4:King, 5:Dragon, 6:Demon, 7:Devil, 8:Golem, 9:Wizard, 10:Priest, 11:Angel, 12:Archon, 13:Ghost, 14:Statue, 15:Castle, 16:Baby, 17:Ogre, 18:Unicorn, 19:Fairy, 20:Vampire

2) Come up with a listing of thematically-appropriate verbs that could go between two nouns, and number those.
    Spoiler: example verbs
    Show
    1:Marries, 2:Divorces, 3:Murders, 4:Eats, 5:Creates, 6:Destroys, 7:Fathers, 8:Captures, 9:Befriends, 10:Becomes, 11:Bears, 12:Kidnaps, 13:Rescues, 14:Controls, 15:Transforms, 16:Disgraces, 17:Promotes, 18:Enslaves, 19:Frees, 20:Instructs

3) Roll [Noun] [Verb] [Noun]. This is your 'seed' of an idea.
    Spoiler: example
    Show
    8, 13, 1: Golem Rescues Princess

4) Build a situation such that the roll might work as a three-word summary of what someone involved wants to happen. Then figure out how the guild might help or hinder those plans, who involved might approach the guild, and so on.
    Spoiler: example
    Show
    The princess Samantha was in-route to be delivered to a wedding to cement a treaty between two warring countries, when a red dragon swooped down on the caravan. Samantha's guards were quickly slain, but one her handmaidens escaped with an odd story: A giant stone cat got between the princess and the dragon's breath, snatched the princess up in it's teeth, and vanished with her. It is unclear what became of her, and the guild has been asked to retrieve her so that the wedding - and the peace - can commence.

5) Add some fluffy bits, and done.

The Simple templates are EVIL. Please don't use them.
    Spoiler: Denied Rules + Items
    Show
    Mighty Template
    Alacritous
    Called Shots
    Living Shadow (Su)
    Unchained Oracle Curse
    Forsaken Oracle Curse

Spoiler: Approved requests
    Show

Spoiler: Likely relevant from original recruitment
    Show

Single Template Per Character (On top of Monster race)
    One free template (with limit on CR of said template = +2)
    Sphere's of Power
    Psionic's Unleashed
    Path of War
    Nonabilities are bought at 10 on ability scores (applies to incorporeal creatures, undead, constructs, et cetera)
    Feat Tax Fix

Spoiler: This go round
    Show

Current cast (will level to 13th at the end of the current story arc):
    Player/Character Table
    Player Monster Race Classes Character Sheet Background
    Jack_Simth Ghost Nypmh Oracle / Druid Darshee Elazumin Dazeiros On Sheet
    JBarca Half Dragon Valkyrie Paladin Menja On Sheet
    Illven Succubus Unchained Rogue/ Diviner Heather Harrington On Sheet

NOTE: These are provided as target optimizations to be in the ballpark with, not as records to beat. You'll notice, for instance, that Darshee Elazumin Dazeiros is a highly Charisma-focused build... that does NOT have a +6 Charisma Enhancement item. There's a reason for that. High optimization is not a problem; low optimization is not a problem. A problem happens when there is a high degree of difference in optimization levels within a party. The optimizer who can solo Great Wyrms in one round should not be in the same party as the Monk that can barely hit a tree. Neither is a "wrong" build - they just don't belong in the same party. Try to belong in our party.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2017-07-16 at 04:23 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Chortan's Guild (Rotating DM's Monstrous Gestalt PF, 13th level) re-recruitment

Expressing interest, first query however, firearms, are they present at all in your setting? I've been trying for some time to do a gunslinger and it never quite works out
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Chortan's Guild (Rotating DM's Monstrous Gestalt PF, 13th level) re-recruitment

Just popping in to subscribe and greet any potential new applicants.

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Expressing interest, first query however, firearms, are they present at all in your setting? I've been trying for some time to do a gunslinger and it never quite works out
    Well, the setting is pretty open. Plane- and reality-hopping allows a lot of freedom. From my end, I'm ok with firearms, I think, though I'm pretty unfamiliar with them, so we'll see if Jack_Simth has any problems with them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Expressing interest, though it ... may be a bit confusing. Hi, Daishain.

Are templates acceptable? Specifically, I'm thinking of making a Worm That Walks (EDIT: never mind, saw non-evil requirement) Mythical Fey Megaraptor, but just as a general rule.
    Last edited by Da'Shain; 2017-07-16 at 01:29 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Da'Shain View Post
    Expressing interest, though it ... may be a bit confusing. Hi, Daishain.

Are templates acceptable? Specifically, I'm thinking of making a Worm That Walks (EDIT: never mind, saw non-evil requirement) Mythical Fey Megaraptor, but just as a general rule.
    We've got both a Ghost and a Half-Dragon in the group right now. Templates, as a concept, are fine. Templates that meet the requirements (see OP) that all material must meet are fine, those that don't, aren't.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

For instance, I am playing a CN succubus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Well this looks interesting. I'll have to have a think and see what appeals conceptually.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm...maybe? I'll look over options.

Currently Recruiting: Nothing. Maybe come start one?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

So thoughts on playing a dragon? I came about it through a silly chain of thought (essentially I like buying a ton of stuff with my WBL, your thing about not needing to minmax gear means I'll probably end up with even more junk, why not play a monster that loves that stuff), but I kinda like it. Was specifically thinking a dragon that rather likes running around as a human - probably going rogue on the other side, so he uses the human form for sneakiness and subtlety. Dragons are...well, dragons and one of the big anomalies in the CR system, hence asking for opinions or any adjustments.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2017-07-16 at 04:34 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JBarca View Post
    We've got both a Ghost and a Half-Dragon in the group right now. Templates, as a concept, are fine. Templates that meet the requirements (see OP) that all material must meet are fine, those that don't, aren't.
    Ah, that reminds me... we ended up with a few things approved on the first recruitment thread that are decidedly relevant, and should probably go to new members as well:

Single Template Per Character (On top of Monster race)
    One free template (with limit on CR of said template = +2)
    Sphere's of Power
    Psionic's Unleashed
    Path of War
    Nonabilities are bought at 10 on ability scores (applies to incorporeal creatures, undead, constructs, et cetera)
    Feat Tax Fix

There were a few others, but those are liable to only be relevant to the people who wanted them. I'll add this to the notes of the OP.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

A free template? Well that makes things interesting.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the setting is pretty open. Plane- and reality-hopping allows a lot of freedom. From my end, I'm ok with firearms, I think, though I'm pretty unfamiliar with them, so we'll see if Jack_Simth has any problems with them.
    Not problems, really. It's just it's a campaign variant, and we will then need to settle on which of the five options we're using on how common they are. It affects proficiency, pricing, availability, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    So thoughts on playing a dragon? I came about it through a silly chain of thought (essentially I like buying a ton of stuff with my WBL, your thing about not needing to minmax gear means I'll probably end up with even more junk, why not play a monster that loves that stuff), but I kinda like it. Was specifically thinking a Copper that rather likes running around as a human - probably going rogue on the other side, so he uses the human form for sneakiness and subtlety. Dragons are...well, dragons and one of the big anomalies in the CR system, hence asking for opinions or any adjustments.
    The final result needs to be on the same playing field (power-wise) with everyone else. How you get there is mostly irrelevant so long as it's within the rules. So I'm fine with dragons in the party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    A free template? Well that makes things interesting.
    Which also puts you at your template limit, yes. Big templates will cost you (and at full), but one small template is free.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2017-07-16 at 04:35 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    The final result needs to be on the same playing field (power-wise) with everyone else. How you get there is mostly irrelevant so long as it's within the rules. So I'm fine with dragons in the party.

Which also puts you at your template limit, yes. Big templates will cost you (and at full), but one small template is free.
    Alright. Guess I'll play around with the mechanics and see what I end up with.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Not problems, really. It's just it's a campaign variant, and we will then need to settle on which of the five options we're using on how common they are. It affects proficiency, pricing, availability, and so on.

I think I'm probably fine with Emerging - essentially keeping the firearms available without being super cheap or really hard to get, while also not forcing the world to be built around the idea of them existing in warfare. I'd be fine bumping that a level in either direction, though.

Dragons are cool with me.

15. - Top - End - #15

are you still looking for players

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Clarification please - Is Path of War allowed already, or do we need to 'vote' on it.

I have a rough idea for a Ghaele Azata Warder. Essentially, I want to try out my concept for the most heroic hero who ever hero'd. I get tired of playing complex, angst-touched characters sometimes and I'd like to build someone who's generally happy, and tries to bring good to the world not through forcing people, but by example

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

I was going to check the same line of thought with Spheres of Power - since it was listed, I finally got me to investigate it and I had the idea of using Shifter on the other side, for a dragon who has expanded his magic (and innate human form) to an overall mastery of form.

Not to mention Shifter allows for cool tricks like a hybrid humanoid/dragon form, which seems awesome - honestly I have no idea how good this is until I work the sheet out, but the idea seems cool in my head.

EDIT: Gone off the dragon part, the Spheres/Shifter part still applies though.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2017-07-16 at 06:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Additional Question - do we get inherrent bonuses from leveling, or is that assumed to be part of the monstrous ability scores?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

SoP and PoW were approved the first time and are thus good to go here.

Inherent bonuses are in addition to other bonuses. Just like if you played a Human with +2 Str, you could still have additional Str bonuses from leveling up. Since we're using 3.5's rules for monster abilities, your racial scores are exactly like the racial scores of any standard race.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Sweet. Looking more into SoP allowed me to find the answer to my problem with my dragon Shifter concept - an alteration drawback getting rid of Blank form, so if he wants a smaller form (to interact with things on a non-Huge scale) he has to leave his natural form.

So dragon shifter is being worked on now. Still unsure how it'll work out, but hey.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

Would Drow Noble be usable as a CR+1 race?
    Last edited by ChrisAsmadi; 2017-07-16 at 07:11 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh jeez, do we need to reapply in the second group?
    Back on my normal work schedule. Updates will happen when I can finangle them at work or on my nights off on Monday and Friday (unless I get caught up doing something else).

Your understanding is appreciated.

23. - Top - End - #23

Half-Celestial Nereid Sorceress, on the way.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Gunhaven View Post
    Oh jeez, do we need to reapply in the second group?
    I don't believe so. We're down to three members after one player ghosted and the other... disappeared after some warning. If y'all're doing fine, then I think you're probably good to go.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't believe so. We're down to three members after one player ghosted and the other... disappeared after some warning. If y'all're doing fine, then I think you're probably good to go.
    We've still got the four, we're just chugging along (and a bit slow as we approach testing (mass) combat).
    Back on my normal work schedule. Updates will happen when I can finangle them at work or on my nights off on Monday and Friday (unless I get caught up doing something else).

26. - Top - End - #26

She's ready!

And her name shall be...

Sao.

Backstory!

Spoiler: Backstory!
    Show
    Sao was born in the sea, to an angel mother and a nereid mother. Don't ask how that works. Magic.

She grew up a powerful mage, having an affinity for both sky and sea, and quickly became overcome with wanderlust, leaving home to adventure. On her adventures, which ranged from basic and simple (helping some smitten farmers fend off bandits) to the advanced (stealing a ring from a sleeping dragon-she got scorched on that one!) she heard of a guild. Chortan's Guild-a place where people who were not quite so ordinary could be together and adventure with friends. She began to search it out.

Over the next several months, she used her many wiles (read: she asked people REALLY nicely) to gather more info, and eventually found her way there. When she reached the door of the Guild, she knocked on the door, and asked to join them.

Basic backstory. Let me know if more is needed. Personality-wise, Sao is a very kind and welcoming person. She's the sort of person who loves to see other people smile and laugh.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

If I can then I'd like to still submit a character. And since dragons are just the best (that HD, boo) I'm thinking an Old Crystal Dragon || Oracle 1/Barbarian 4/Rage Prophet 8. He's just super angry when someone messes with his crystals. Probably...

Alternatively I'm going to look into Healing Crystals for that hilarity (or maybe I just won't do another dragon and instead focus on something unrelated).

28. - Top - End - #28

MindFlayer

So I'm a bit confused ... we get a max of one template, but then we get a "free" template on top of that? Free as in it doesn't add to CR?

Anyway, Todorakh, the Wind Hunter is largely complete. I figured she would fill the role of the scout and sneaky warrior, focused around burst damage and counters, though she's no slouch in stand-up combat either. Her Tactical Presence and Warleader abilities can also make her pretty good as a pack leader.

Spoiler: Todorakh
    Show

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show
    The size of a bipedal rhino, covered in mottled feathers and scales that seem to blend into her surroundings, Todorakh is a lean, cold-eyed predator with the regal bearing of a tribal chief. Her wicked black claws peek out of the pinions on her arms and lower legs, as long and sharp as the forearms of smaller humanoids. Her yellow gaze is filled with intelligence, but little in the way of empathy; her reptilian expressions are mostly unreadable but leave the impression of a remorseless killing machine, an impression which those who know her see as not unjustified but also incomplete. She seems to shift effortlessly between perfect stillness and bursts of incredible speed, her powerful limbs rippling over predatory muscles geared for the hunt since time immemorial. When she appears to others in her guise as a primordial elf, she somehow seems to possess even less humanity despite her nearly nude form; the addition of cold smiles, the slight wrongness of all the angles in her face and body, and the retention of her slitted, unblinking yellow eyes make her just obviously inhuman enough to be frightening.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    First and foremost a huntress, Todorakh is a killer, through and through; it's what she was born for, after all. However, her natural inclinations are held in check by her great wisdom and experience, having survived since before the current species of elves evolved, and been imparted with something of a conscience by the one who awakened her. She appreciates competence and wit, and values the hunt itself over necessarily killing at the end of it, making it easy to win her friendship if one can simply remain interesting. Those that do find her intensely loyal and self-sacrificing, though her single-mindedness and lack of any concept of "a fair fight" remains unnerving. Those who transgress, though, are subjected to her serious, lethal chase and struck down without mercy. She is intensely loyal to her pack, which over the millennia has grown in her mind to include most intelligent creatures of the First World, even those over which she holds no dominion; any transgression against her pack can be grounds for murderous vengeance from her. Her own psychology tends toward the fatalistic, and in the highly infrequent event that she deigns to discuss her own feelings, there is an air of weariness and melancholy about her that some might interpret as a death wish.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Born in the First World when the gods were only beginning their work, Todorakh was given her name, "Wind Hunter" in the ancient language of the primordial fey, by the beautiful fledgling druid who raised her from a hatchling. Before the Eldest cemented their domains, she roamed the elemental forests with her master, exploring this first creation in search of its limits and never finding any. When the dark wind of war blew over the entirety of the First World, though, Todorakh and her master answered the call of Count Ranalc, and instead of hunting prey they were soon hunting their fellow fey.

Centuries of chaotic struggle saw them die and live again many times, as those in the First World are wont to do. Always they would find one another again upon rebirth, joining each other in the seemingly endless struggle. Her master's magic eventually expanded Todorakh's mind, awakening her to be a soldier in her own right. Shortly thereafter, however, when her master came to the defense of their lord's lover, the nymph queen Nyrissa, they were overwhelmed. Todorakh escaped; her master did not. With their Eldest lord Ranalc banished by his brethren, no higher power existed to intervene; Todorakh's master was warped into one of their enemies' greatest monsters,
    the Thrasfyr, as punishment for aiding the rogue Eldest. The process subsumed Todorakh's master's identity to the point that even their name and image vanished from existence, wiped clean as though they had never been,
    except in the broken connections they left behind.

Her master's cycle of death and rebirth interrupted, Todorakh could only remember the kindness and camaraderie they had shared, but all the actual details of their time together faded away like mist. Knowing only that her former friend was warped into a monster to be used by uncaring Eldest, she resolved on the one thing she knew to do: hunt and bring it down.

Centuries more passed as Todorakh tried and failed, dying over and over again, re-congealing only to push herself harder, conscripting her lesser brethren raptors into her hunt. Her singlemindedness and growing power eventually overcame the Thrasfyr that had been her former master, but no satisfaction was to be had; no revelations came; only a dead monster and the sense of a connection finally, forever lost. She missed it, however warped the connection had been, however painful the thing's telepathic screams and rants had been to hear; now she was alone. Raptors mate for life; while her master had not been her mate, their friendship had transcended death over and over. To be bereft after so long ...

Retiring to the Riftwood, Todorakh withdrew from the affairs of the Eldest and made it clear that her jungle was no place for their minions to be welcome. Long centuries passed, and she grew to rule over a vast pack of her kind, corralling even the herbivorous primeval dinosaurs into a force hostile to invaders. She slew many and was slain in turn, her line in the sand merely another chapter in the First World's endlessly repeating story. Ennui began to overtake her, and her pack began to disperse as their leader grew more withdrawn and uncaring, for reasons their unawakened minds could not comprehend.

In search of a place where things she did, being she slew, would actually matter, Todorakh eventually exiled herself from the First World and into the Material. The renewed sense of danger, the knowledge that any mistake would truly be her last, reawakened her predatory drive, and she began to search for hunts worthy of her, that she felt her former master might have approved of. The strangeness of all these new planes where actions had real consequences allowed her to feel pride and joy once more, and she goes in search of new experiences, new packmates, and new prey ...

Last edited by Da'Shain; 2017-07-18 at 08:03 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

Right now, I'm thinking Drow Noble Occultist//Harbinger.

Can I get a verdict on whether Panopolies (Paizo, but they're not on d20pfsrd) are allowed?
    Last edited by ChrisAsmadi; 2017-07-16 at 09:58 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sikhī Pabhāvatī

Character Sheet

To be an Azata means not only to live your long life to the fullest, it means working to ensure that others do as well. For Sikhī Pabhāvatī, anything other than what they are doing right now would be torture. Life is for exploring, singing, loving and protecting, and the Ghaele Azata come to the material plane plans to do all of that and more. In truth, Sikhī is most inspired by the tales of mortal heroes, the protectors of the weak, the role models for others to aspire to.

This is what got the Ghaele to travel, and what eventually led them to meet the Agathion, Royal Eyes. The allied outsider had been set upon by mortal blasphemers, intent on nothing more than to strip and nearly destroy him. When Sikhī came upon him, he was almost dead. In an act of desperation, the Azata did something hitherto unheard of - they opened their corporeal form to the energy of the Agathion, allowing him to invest in them. Since then the two have made a formidable hero, the noble spirit of the other Celestial bolstering and quickening the Azata's body, and his advice ringing in their ears. They often speak, debate in the privacy of their shared mind, always searching for new ways to help the world around them.

Sikhī wields twin spears, their form of fighting blindingly fast and predicated on the idea of reaching their opponent across wide gaps in the field of battle. In theirleft hand, Maut Bhala, a glaive that causes bleeding wounds to open on their opponent, attacking their body. In the right, Daana Ke Ant, a Ranseur with strong magical properties, able both to dispel magic and cast it.
    Last edited by Genth; 2017-07-17 at 06:07 PM.