New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Number of Character Appearances VI - Wrecan: "I like counting things"

I'm late to the party, but on the vampires: I think that any sort of criterion we come up with will inherently be somewhat messy and complicated. But I think that the simplest is, for any character we've seen both alive and vampirized (I think this is just Durkon and Gontor), we have entries for both, and in each case, an appearance of the undead body counts as an appearance for both characters. For any vampires we've seen only as vampires, just have one listing. And don't make any distinction between thrall vampires and free vampires: A thrall is the same character, just acting under a mind-control effect.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

2. - Top - End - #632
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Number of Character Appearances VI - Wrecan: "I like counting things"

1198: Belkar Bitterleaf, Blackwing (also invisible) Durkon Thundershield, Elan, Haley Starshine (also invisible), Kraagor (as statue), Minrah Shaleshoe, Mr. Scruffy, Roy Greenhilt, Vaarusvius (also invisible)

1199: Belkar Bitterleaf, Blackwing, Durkon Thundershield, Elan, Haley Starshine, Kraagor (as statue), Minrah Shaleshoe, Mr. Scruffy, Roy Greenhilt, Vaarusvius
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

3. - Top - End - #633
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    I'm late to the party, but on the vampires: I think that any sort of criterion we come up with will inherently be somewhat messy and complicated. But I think that the simplest is, for any character we've seen both alive and vampirized (I think this is just Durkon and Gontor), we have entries for both, and in each case, an appearance of the undead body counts as an appearance for both characters. For any vampires we've seen only as vampires, just have one listing. And don't make any distinction between thrall vampires and free vampires: A thrall is the same character, just acting under a mind-control effect.
    We do also have a lot of other vampires in the intro to the Creed of Stone, as well as a flashback to a living Sandstone.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ByzantiumBhuka View Post
    We do also have a lot of other vampires in the intro to the Creed of Stone, as well as a flashback to a living Sandstone.
    My opinion is that there is only one vampire whose vampire spirit matters: Durkon*. We have been shown no other vampire spirits (though Ponchula speaks of the duality of her vampire nature). I think the simplest approach is to only track Durkon* and no other vampire spirits, even if we've seen them as both living and undead. Greg is clearly a separate character; there are no other vampire spirits who have characters distinct from their host in any meaningful way.

Quote Originally Posted by Council of Elders Guard with Gray Beard on Upstairs
    "I'm not sure that this thread is all about the simplest approach to tracking characters."
    I also think the Giant's statement on the origin of vampire spirits makes clear that Greg's first appearance is the moment Durkon is vampirized, despite his thralldom to Malack. I leave that to Emanick how they want to handle that.
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

knag: We've seen enough of the Exarch Gontor Hammerfell of the Creed of the Stone both before and after his vampirization that we can say the vampire spirit living in him has a separate personality. (Update: I see that ByzantiumBhuka made the same point above.)
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2020-04-13 at 10:42 AM.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    knag: We've seen enough of the Exarch Gontor Hammerfell of the Creed of the Stone both before and after his vampirization that we can say the vampire spirit living in him has a separate personality. (Update: I see that ByzantiumBhuka made the same point above.)
    Yes clearly they all have separate vampire spirits. The Giant has said so, and Ponchula directly references the trapped soul of her host. I just mean that we never go inside the heads of any other vampires and really get into the duality of these characters. And sure for Gontor we can even appreciate the personality change, so we could say there are two characters presented in the comic. Not so for Brother Sandstone or Ponchula or any other vampires. Martianmister's approach is 100% consistent with what's happening in the comic, I just think it's overly complicated for anyone other than Durkon.

Also:
    #1200: Roy, Durkon, Minrah

Also also:
    #1201: Bandana, Blackwing, Carol, Durkon, Elan, Felix, Haley, Kwesi, Mechane Crewman with Eyepatch and Pegleg, Minrah, Mr. Scruffy, O'aka XXIII, Roy, Vaarsuvius.
    (I haven't seen the Mechane Crewmember with Eyepatch and Hook before, so no appearance for that one yet).
    Last edited by knag; 2020-04-27 at 09:05 AM. Reason: 1201
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

7. - Top - End - #637
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post

#1201: Bandana, Blackwing, Carol, Durkon, Elan, Felix, Haley, Kwesi, Mechane Crewman with Eyepatch and Pegleg, Minrah, Mr. Scruffy, O'aka XXIII, Roy, Vaarsuvius.
    (I haven't seen the Mechane Crewmember with Eyepatch and Hook before, so no appearance for that one yet).
    Belkar is in this one, too.

For those keeping track, so is Lutey the Lute-tastical Lute, and the new one I am calling Mechane Crewwoman with Eyepatch and Hook, for now.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Number of Character Appearances VII: To Absent Friends is now open for posting, at long last!!! Sorry about the long wait - it's been a very weird month. Now that the work of adding all the info from the last 30-odd strips and Utterly Dwarfed's bonus material is over, though, I should be able to keep up with future updates.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Number of Character Appearances VII: To Absent Friends is now open for posting, at long last!!! Sorry about the long wait - it's been a very weird month. Now that the work of adding all the info from the last 30-odd strips and Utterly Dwarfed's bonus material is over, though, I should be able to keep up with future updates.
    And here's the link everyone!
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

10. - Top - End - #640
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Good bye the thread I read for a long time. It's time for a new beginning.