New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Number of Character Appearances VI - Wrecan: "I like counting things"

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Is that the deathworm's shadow?
    In panel 2, you mean? No, those seems to be swirls in the orange barrier.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #422
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Number of Character Appearances VI - Wrecan: "I like counting things"

Is that the deathworm's shadow?
    I mean... if you can make that case that's some next level "Number of Character Appearances" detail.
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

I guess that's a no then?
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1168
    Elan, Giant Death Worm, Dwarf Matriarch of Whiterock (charmed), Roy, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Curly Hair, Vampire Spirit with Blue Curly Hair
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #425
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Oh gods, all of these nameless idiot dwarf councilors are going to have to be tracked, aren't they?
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Oh gods, all of these nameless idiot dwarf councilors are going to have to be tracked, aren't they?
    Maybe the Giant will be nice and give us some more clan names to name them after. So far we have three. That would be better than "Drooling Dwarf Elder"...or would it?

7. - Top - End - #427
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1169
    Council of Elders Guard with Black Beard (charmed), Durkon, Dwarf Matriarch's Male Guard (charmed), Exarch of Hel (as Gontor), Gontor (as Vampire), Logann, Sigdi
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #428
    Orc in the Playground

#1170: Durkon (in scrying), Clan Cobalt Elder, Clan Elder that Drools, Clan Elder with Bald Head and Gray Beard (in scrying), Clan Elder with Balding Head and Black Beard (in scrying), Clan Elder with Brown Bun, Clan Elder with Gray Bun, Clan Elder with Green Cap (in scrying), Clan Elder with Monocle (in scrying), Clan Ironthumb Elder, Gontor Hammerfel (as vampire, in scrying), Hel, Logann (in scrying), Loki, Lord Speaker, Millidren Thickbelt, Noted Expert, Priestess of Dvalin, Regin Greenhammer, Thor, Thrym

I forget if appearing in the scrying pool counts as a notable alteration or not. There are three more Clan Elders who didn't reappear here. One is the Clan Whiterock Matriarch, so she's already got a name, but the other two are as-yet not counted. One of them (with the orange high collar) matches the "Clan Elder with Bald Head and Gray Beard" moniker I used for the non-dominated dwarf above, not sure if we need a more specific name.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1170
    Durkon, Dvalin's Cleric, Dwarf Matriarch with Brown Hair, Dwarf Matriarch with Gray Hair, Dwarf Patriarch of Cobalt, Dwarf Patriarch of Ironthumb, Dwarf Patriarch with Black Beard, Dwarf Patriarch with Brown Hair, Dwarf Patriarch with Gray Beard, Dwarf Patriarch with Green Cap, Dwarf Patriarch with Monocle, Dwarves (in Hel's Screen), Gontor (as Vampire), Hel (+1), Logann, Loki, Lord Speaker, Millidred Thickbelt (+1), Regin Greenhammer, Thor (+1), Thrym

I'll add them in a while.
    Last edited by martianmister; 2019-07-10 at 04:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

1. By "Dwarf Patriarch with Black Beard", do you mean the dwarf with green shirt and long dark cape with a stripe, who sits to the left of the Dwarf Patriarch of Ironthumb (with purple vest) and to the right of Dwarf Matriarch with Brown Hair (with hair in a bun)?
    2. It seems like him and some other dwarf patriarchs and matriarchs are missing from the "Incidental Characters" list in the second thread. Is that normal?
    3. Can we rename "Dwarf Matriarch's Daughter" to "Daught or Dwarf Matriarch of Whiterock"?
    4. Who are the "Dwarves (in Hel's Screen)"? The remaining characters in #1170 are the "Noted Expert" in the television in the eighth panel, and seven or eight dwarf souls in the eleventh panel whom Thor just got from Hel.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2019-07-11 at 09:32 AM.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    1. By "Dwarf Patriarch with Black Beard", do you mean the dwarf with green shirt and long dark cape with a stripe, who sits to the left of the Dwarf Patriarch of Ironthumb (with purple vest) and to the right of Dwarf Matriarch with Brown Hair (with hair in a bun)?
    2. It seems like him and some other dwarf patriarchs and matriarchs are missing from the "Incidental Characters" list in the second thread. Is that normal?
    3. Can we rename "Dwarf Matriarch's Daughter" to "Daught or Dwarf Matriarch of Whiterock"?
    4. Who are the "Dwarves (in Hel's Screen)"? The remaining characters in #1170 are the "Noted Expert" in the television in the eighth panel, and seven or eight dwarf souls in the eleventh panel whom Thor just got from Hel.
    I think Black Beard is the one next to Cobalt, not Ironthumb. The one you're referring to is Brown Beard (who I referred to as Drools).
    The unnamed dwarves in #1170 are not notable under the rules of this game, having only a single appearance on one page with no name given.

#1171: Council of Elders Guard from #1157 with Brown Beard, Council of Elders Guard from #1157 with Gray Beard, Durkon, Dvalin's Cleric, Dwarf Matriarch with Brown Hair, Dwarf Matriarch with Gray Hair, Dwarf Patriarch of Cobalt, Dwarf Patriarch of Ironthumb, Dwarf Patriarch with Black Beard, Dwarf Patriarch with Brown Beard, Dwarf Patriarch with Green Cap, Dwarf Patriarch with Monocle, Exarch of Hel (as Gontor), Gontor (as vampire), Hel, Hilgya, Janna's Other Student (from #1166), Logann, Lord Speaker, Loki, Sigdi, Tinna.

I don't know what to call the two Guards. We saw them before in #1157, but they're not really distinct from the guards in #1156 for example, and I'm still not sure that the gray beard is not actually the same guy as Grey Beard at Top of Stairs. I stand by my initial reaction that these guys are really just nameless mooks with slightly more detail than the Azure City soldiers or Hobgoblins because of the art upgrades. I guess Brown Beard here is lighter in color, almost Red, so we could use that.

Note that this is the second appearance of Janna's other student, who also appeared in #1166, but not in the big group earlier. I don't think we've seen the soldier in that panel before. Looks like another one of Logann's soldiers, but not one we've seen.

Finally, I'll just add that the clan leaders are referred to as "elders" in the comic, which is gender neutral and would be my preference over matriarch/patriarch.
    Last edited by knag; 2019-07-16 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Janna's female student is from 1166

12. - Top - End - #432
    Orc in the Playground

Ok I feel like having the elders announce their clan affiliations off-panel was a little cruel. Still maybe there's a way to deduce who said what?

Goldknee is a new one, we hadn't see him before. Does he count as a named character for a cameo?
    Copperpot gets a clan name, and this is her second appearance so she didn't have another name yet.
    Irongoblet is either of two elders who are not visually portrayed here, but one of them is making their second appearance with the off-panel line. Either the one with short blond hair or the one with the high collar.
    Steelbeard could be any of the unnamed dominated dwarves (there are four possibilities).
    Stonebrow was formerly called Patriarch with Black Beard, so we should change that guy to his clan name.
    Also, I think this counts as an appearance of Dvalin, since the speech bubbles of the cleric of Dvalin are yellow, implying that Summon Proxy was cast and he is speaking through her.

That leaves Lord Speaker, Cleric of Dvalin, Matriarch with Gray Hair, Patriarch with Monocle, Patriarch with Gray Beard, Patriarch with Brown Beard, Patriarch with Green Cap, Matriarch with Brown Hair, Patriarch of Ironthumb, Matriarch of Whiterock, Patriarch of Cobalt, with the above Stonebrow, Goldknee and Copperpot, and the other two are ambiguous.

And of course, Durkon, Gontor, EoH, Sigdi

edit: I didn't intend this to be a cogent list for this strip, but with MM away, I thought I would do so. Note that Irongoblet was made unambiguous by Coalsholder's declaration in #1173. So here we go.

1172: Cleric of Dvalin, Durkon (also as statue), Dvalin, Dwarf Matriarch of Copperpot, Dwarf Matriarch of Irongoblet, Dwarf Matriarch of Whiterock, Dwarf Matriarch with Brown Hair, Dwarf Matriarch with Gray Hair, Dwarf Patriarch of Cobalt, Dwarf Patriarch of Goldknee, Dwarf Patriarch of Ironthumb, Dwarf Patriarch of Stonebrow, Dwarf Patriarch with Brown Beard, Dwarf Patriarch with Gray Beard, Dwarf Patriarch with Green Cap, Dwarf Patriarch with Monocle, Exarch of Hel, Gontor, Lord Speaker, Sidgi
    Last edited by knag; 2019-08-21 at 03:07 PM. Reason: created a cogent list

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

Um...the link to the newspost about Wrecan (on the first page) is apparently no longer functional? It sends me to the home page.

I'm...not sure if you guys hadn't noticed or if the original post is gone, but it seems important...?
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

14. - Top - End - #434
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Um...the link to the newspost about Wrecan (on the first page) is apparently no longer functional? It sends me to the home page.

I'm...not sure if you guys hadn't noticed or if the original post is gone, but it seems important...?
    New link: it's no longer on the front page, but on the second page of posts.

Since it looks to be the fourth one down, I'd guess that link has probably been broken since mid to late 2018.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    New link: it's no longer on the front page, but on the second page of posts.

Since it looks to be the fourth one down, I'd guess that link has probably been broken since mid to late 2018.
    Just read it.
    That's heartwarming ;-;

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

16. - Top - End - #436
    Orc in the Playground

#1173: Ok so now we know for sure who Irongoblet is: the female Elder with blonde hair, and Coalshoulder is next to her with the high collar. We still don't know who Steelbeard is. Despite Gontor saying that Ironthumb was the only one who hadn't voted, there are three Elders who could be Steelbeard (Green cap, Brown Hair, and Brown Beard).

So I guess the list for this one is:

Cleric of Dvalin, Durkon (as statue), Dwarf Matriarch of Copperpot, Dwarf Matriarch of Irongoblet, Dwarf Matriarch of Whiterock, Dwarf Matriarch with Brown Hair, Dwarf Matriarch with Gray Hair, Dwarf Patriarch of Coalshoulder, Dwarf Patriarch of Cobalt, Dwarf Patriarch of Goldknee, Dwarf Patriarch of Ironthumb, Dwarf Patriarch of Stonebrow, Dwarf Patriarch with Brown Beard, Dwarf Patriarch with Gray Beard, Dwarf Patriarch with Green Cap, Exarch of Hel (as Gontor), Gontor (as vampire), Lord Speaker, Sigdi, Vampire Dwarf with Curly Hair

Is Martianmister still updating this thread? Maybe she went on holiday...

And once again, since Dvalin himself referred to these dwarves as Clan Elders (proper noun) in #1172, I move that we rename them from Matriarch/Patriarch to Clan [Foo] Elder or Clan Elder with [Bar].
    Last edited by knag; 2019-08-02 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Matriarch vs Elder

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

Sniffnoy points out that the High Priestess of Hel, a human vampire with blue curly hair, spiky mace and shield, is listed to have only 2 appearances in the first posts. The wikia points out that she appears four times as a vampire (#1017 last panel when she's made a high priest, #1018 where she directs vampires to keep Roy busy, #1019 last panel, and #1022 where she asks Roy to return Malack's staff; plus once when she was still living. Do you happen to know what's up there?

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ettin in the Playground

martianmister only counts vampire appearances when they speak. CotS Usher with Morningstar is listed with 5 appearances.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    martianmister only counts vampire appearances when they speak. CotS Usher with Morningstar is listed with 5 appearances.
    How does that work? Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Balding Head (staked in #1119) is listed with all 10 appearances, despite that he only speaks in #1111 and #1117.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2019-08-12 at 07:24 AM.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ettin in the Playground

He is listed twice. I assume the one with more appearances shouldn't have "Vampire" in his name and the Vampire version should have less appearances. Personally, I never really cared for tracking the large groups of nameless characters like these guys, the Sapphire Guard in the throne room, the dead Draketeeth, etc. so I think I ignored the discussions when it came to that part. I just know for a fact how martianmister handled Malack, Durkon, the High Priestess, the Exarch, and the other 2 ushers who travelled with Durkon was consistent. (Although Durkon's speaking appearances as a thrall did not count as appearances for the vampire.)
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2019-08-12 at 07:36 AM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

21. - Top - End - #441
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    How does that work? Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Balding Head (staked in #1119) is listed with all 10 appearances, despite that he only speaks in #1111 and #1117.
    I think the logic is that High Priestess is possessing Morningstar usher so we're just seeing the usher's body when it doesn't speak, I imagine we haven't seen Bluebeard pre-vampirization so counting Dwarf with Blue Beard and Balding Head is sort of useless (I don't really agree with this logic but I think this the logic she uses). Why Malack is separated into lizard folk and vampire is uncertain to me though.

EDIT: Looked through the thread to edit my own personal character page count, and I don't know, Ponchula and her human form are both counted from different first appearances, and I don't think Sandy is counted in vampire form at all despite appearing when not possessed.
    Last edited by Schroeswald; 2019-08-12 at 07:50 AM.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Looked through the thread to edit my own personal character page count...
    You have your own count? Could you share it with me so I can error-check mine?

23. - Top - End - #443

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post
    You have your own count? Could you share it with me so I can error-check mine?
    Sure, since it seems you admin the OoTS wiki I'll just create User:Schroeswald/Page Appearances and put it there.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Orc in the Playground

1174: Cleric of Dvalin, Creed of the Stone Usher with Sandy Hair (as vampire), Durkon (as statue), Dwarf Patriarch of Cobalt, Exarch of Hel, Gontor, Hoskin, Hoskin's Wife, Janna, Logann's Father, Logann's Sister, Logann's Soldiers, Lord Speaker, Minrah, Shirra, Shirra's Husband, Shirra's Sons, Sigdi, Thirden

The dwarf with reddish hair and a gray scull cap between Shirra's Husband and Logann's Father in panel 4 (and also in panels 8, 10, & 11) also appeared in #1163. The other two soldiers in that strip are grouped as "Logann's Soldiers", having also appeared in #1162. I assume we can lump her in with them, even though they haven't all appeared in all the strips they would get counted for.
    Last edited by knag; 2019-08-12 at 10:50 AM. Reason: missed one

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

Hello,sorry for the wait. I've been on an archeological excavation for a while, and despite of my hope, I have been unable to use internet, due to school related complications. I will return by the end of this month, and only after that I can update this thread again. till then, sorry again for the wait. See you soon.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello,sorry for the wait. I've been on an archeological excavation for a while, and despite of my hope, I have been unable to use internet, due to school related complications. I will return by the end of this month, and only after that I can update this thread again. till then, sorry again for the wait. See you soon.
    You're getting a degree in/teaching archaeology?! (Or some related field)

Wow, that's amazing.

Don't worry about the wait, have fun, do well and all that jazz.

-Squire Doodad

27. - Top - End - #447

Thank you for service in adding to the sum of human knowledge.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

28. - Top - End - #448
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

This is without a doubt the coolest reason I've ever heard for someone vanishing from a thread.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Orc in the Playground

1175: Belkar, Durkon (as statue), Elan, Giant Death Worm, Haley, Hel, Hilgya, Logann Brightstone, Logann's Sister, Loki, Lord Speaker, Minrah, Roy, Shirra's Sons, Sigdi, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Curly Hair (also gaseous form)

So... Brightstone... Do we leave Logann's Mom, Logann's, Dad and Logann's Sister alone or call them Mr. & Ms. Brightstone? I'd say just leave them alone unless we learn first names.

1176: Hel, Loki, Thrym

1177: Durkon (as statue, in illusion), Loki, Thor

1178: Belkar, Clan Coalshoulder Elder, Clan Elder with Brown Beard, Clan Irongoblet Elder, Clan Ironthumb Elder Clan Whiterock Elder, Clan Whiterock Female Guard, Clan Whiterock Male Guard, Council of Clans Guard with Grey Beard, Durkon (also as statue), Elan, Janna, Mr. Scruffy, Sigdi, Thirden

[note: I've switched to the Clan Elder format here instead of Dwarf Matriarch/Patriarch, based on what Dvalin called them. Also, the guard could be either of two or three guards with grey beards... the one near the council chamber has a little darker skin, but the one at the top of the stairs and the one in the middle of the stairs are identical, so we really can't know.]
    Last edited by knag; 2019-09-03 at 03:55 PM. Reason: 1176, 1177, 1178

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

#1178: Durkon (normal and as statue), Sidgi, Thirden, Janna, Elan, Belkar, Mr. Scruffy, Dwarf Matriarch of Whiterock, Dwarf Matriarch of Irongoblet, Dwarf Patriarch of Coalshoulder, Dwarf Patriarch of Ironthumb, Dwarf Patriarch with Brown Beard, Whiterock Dwarf Matriarch's Female Guard, Whiterock Dwarf Matriarch's Male Guard, Council of Elders Guard with Brown Beard

Edit: ninja'ed

Edit 2: Isn't the Council of Elders Guard's beard brown?
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-09-03 at 04:13 PM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"