New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Number of Character Appearances VI - Wrecan: "I like counting things"

...Okay, I guess the candidates comprise everyone who's really enthused about the thread

Since I think we've arrived at a general direction, and since it looks like this is rapidly getting nowhere with no one actually running anything being proposed....

The candidates (i.e., the people who've expressed an interest in curating the next version of the thread) are Emanick, Gift Jeraff, knag, Schroeswald, and TheWombatOfDoom.

This will be approval voting: post your vote for up to three of the candidates; the candidate who has the most voters will be designated curator apparent start the next version of the thread. Bolding your vote would be helpful; and if for whatever reason you want to change your vote later, please post a new complete vote, not just a post stating whatever changed from your previous vote.

In the event of a tie, I will choose one of the tied candidates (which almost certainly won't may or may not involve trial by combat with Peelee, the Mod on the Silver Mountain (which almost certainly isn't may or may not be located on the plane of Ysgard, where a free true resurrection effect will reverse fatalities (which almost certainly would may or may not be accidental) the next morning)). Not coincidentally, I will not being taking part in the initial vote.

Do note that there is no requirement for a curated thread to have a single curator. Class and Level Geekery is tag-teamed by Kurald Galain and RMS Oceanic, for example; and Crusher handles a section of the MitD threads largely overseen by Grey_Wolf_c. The "winner" coming up with a creative cooperation with other candidates is certainly an option.

Concurrently, let's also vote for the next thread (sub)title.

Again, approval voting; post your vote/nomination for as many titles as you like, even if that's only one. Curators are certainly within their rights to title the next thread as they wish (obviating the need to establish a tiebreaker beforehand), but we've gotta start somewhere....

So far, "Remembering Absent Friends" and "To absent friends" are the proposed titles.

My inclination is have this open up until sometime Saturday, to keep this within a week; but I'm open to extending that....
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2020-03-05 at 10:55 AM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Number of Character Appearances VI - Wrecan: "I like counting things"

Emanick, and may Thor have mercy on their soul

(No stated preference on thread titling)

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-03-04 at 01:49 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #573
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'll put in a joint vote for Emanick and TheWombatOfDoom. For title, I prefer "Rembering Absent Friends."

4. - Top - End - #574
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

No preference on who's the curator, but putting in a vote for Remembering Absent Friends as the title.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Barbarian in the Playground

No preference on the curator yet. Maybe the candidates could post a short pitch explaining why they should be elected?

Another vote for Remembering absent friends.
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

6. - Top - End - #576
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I’ll put in a vote for Emanick and TheWombatOfDoom. No preference on the next title, although I will miss this one.

Peelee’s Lotsey

7. - Top - End - #577
    Bugbear in the Playground

I presume I'm not allowed to vote for myself (and even if I could, I wouldn't feel comfortable voting for anyone), but I support Remembering Absent Friends as the thread title.

Honestly I don't think much separates the four of us, I guess I might move faster in updating, but knag always does it pretty quick on the wiki and everyone is still pretty active and everyone else has been on the forums longer than me, so there's my amazing pitch (shrugs).

Oh and also, we might want to add another thing for the FAQ, explaining a likely title and what happened to Martianmister.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Thanks for stepping up to handle the voting, O Potassium-Laced One.

I've already come out in support of it, but I'd like to reiterate that Remembering Absent Friends is a great thread title and I'm fully behind it.

As for short pitches - well, like Schroeswald, I think everyone would do a pretty good job. I was picked as the threadrunner last time we were looking for a replacement curator, though, so that may or may not count for something. For a long time I ran my own parallel "number of character appearances" tracker on my laptop with a slightly different methodology, so I've been interested in this subject for a very long time. (I've also been around the longest, although I'm not sure that's relevant.)

Plus, I'm self-employed (although I can't promise that won't change down the road), so I have the flexibility to update fairly quickly.

Oh and also, we might want to add another thing for the FAQ, explaining a likely title and what happened to Martianmister.
    Fully agree with this.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2020-03-04 at 04:12 PM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg View Post
    No preference on the curator yet. Maybe the candidates could post a short pitch explaining why they should be elected?
    I assume lust for gold. Power. Or maybe they were just born with a heart full of neutrality,

Oh, and To absent friends. I like that phrasing just slightly more.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #580

I'll third this recommendation.

Maybe the candidates could post a short pitch explaining why they should be elected?
    The candidates are hoping to steal this thread's secret supply of cupcakes 🧁.

11. - Top - End - #581

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    The candidates are hoping to steal this thread's secret supply of cupcakes 🧁.
    I will free all the chocolate cupcakes into the wild (why did my phone keep trying to capitalize that) to breed and for forumites to eat as they wish, I demand only the vanilla cupcakes for myself.
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ettin in the Playground

Being a candidate, I will refrain from voting on the curator. I would like to point out that with this many people interested in assisting with curating, it would be lovely to see us actively assisting with the thread no matter who curates! Its nice to see such support and I really agree that each person here is a strong candidate.

That being said, l'm voting for "To Absent Friends" for the next title.

And thank you banana, you're voting expertise is commendable.

Another vote for Remembering absent friends.
    That's not a bad idea. I motion instead of a pitch explaining why they should be elected, maybe a explanation of about them, and why they want to curate.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2020-03-05 at 10:09 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been participating in these threads for a little over a decade now and wouldn't mind curating the next one, so I'll throw my hat in the ring.

Voting 'To Absent Friends' for the thread title.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2020-03-05 at 10:20 AM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

14. - Top - End - #584

Flumph

Not sure if I'm allowed, since I'm a new member, and not very active since registering here, despite of following this forum and this thread for a long time. I'd vote for Gift Jeraff and To Absent Friends.
    Last edited by Precure; 2020-03-05 at 11:13 AM.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Not sure if I'm allowed...
    Of course you're allowed! If you can post, you can vote.

16. - Top - End - #586

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Of course you're allowed! If you can post, you can vote.
    Thank you for your answer.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

Guess it's (past?) time for a tally....

Curator Candidate Votes Voters
    Emanick 3 Grey_Wolf_c, 137ben, Jaxzan Proditor
    TheWombatOfDoom 2 137ben, Jaxzan Proditor
    Gift Jeraff 1 Precure
    knag 0
    Schroeswald 0

Proposed Title Votes Voters
    Remembering Absent Friends 5 137ben, ByzantiumBhuka, Joerg, Schroeswald, Emanick
    To Absent Friends 4 Peelee, TheWombatOfDoom, Gift Jeraff, Precure

18. - Top - End - #588

With the new comic up,

1194: Belkar Bitterlead, Minrah Elle Shaleshoe, Mr. Scruffy
    Show

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

Well, three days with no activity...guess it's time to call it. it()

Congratulations, Emanick, on being dutifully appointed as the next thread starter!

20. - Top - End - #590

Congratulations Emanick!

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ettin in the Playground

Congrats! And whatever help you need, I'm game to assist!
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

22. - Top - End - #592

Flumph

Congratulations, Emanick.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Orc in the Playground

I would like to re-open the voting and put in my approval for knag and Schroeswald. That way we don't have to feel so bad about not getting votes.

I'll put in my vote for To Absent Friends as well for thread title.

And congrats to Emanick! Well deserved. As always, I will maintain the wiki Character Index of Appearances stays in synch with this thread, with a few exceptions:
    1. Vampire Spirits other than Greg are not tracked (this is too confusing to a casual reader).
    2. Altered appearances are not indexed, but are noted in parentheses in the cast list.
    3. Additional Sapphire Guard members not identified in this thread are tracked.
    4. One or two Sapphire Guard members have different names than in this thread to avoid ambiguity (I'm looking at you, Chonmaged Sapphire Guardsman).
    5. Total appearances will not necessarily synch with this thread, but will always be the sum of appearances in the index. There is no other way to be consistent, and the loss of the early Number of Character Appearances threads means we can never go back and find out what the differences are between my index and this thread's count. Given the nature of how this thread is curated, I think it's highly probable that the overall counts on this thread are not accurate, even if you could sum up all the strip posts listing who appeared.

Note that currently the Brightstone family members have different names than in this thread. That is not a matter of wiki policy but just laziness on my part. I need to set my (1.67x1015)Q bot to changing all the instances of the one name to the other...
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

24. - Top - End - #594
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Congratulations Emanick! I can't wait to see the new thread pop up.

I'd like to switch my vote to To Absent Friends as well.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Thank you so much to everyone, both those who voted for me (or who voted at all! In an electorate of this size, every vote counts!) and those of you who have wished me well and congratulated me, and/or offered me help. And thanks in particular to our peerlessly-peeled resident banana for organizing the voting!

I'd like to apologize for the delay in my setup of the new thread - I'm a comedian by trade, and, given the spread of covid-19 and its accompanying restrictions, this past week has not been kind to those of us who rely on large public gatherings to earn our keep. I'm also facing some tax and health-care related deadlines, so this week has been even more chaotic than the pandemic alone would have made it. I hope to have the Number of Character Appearances VII: To Absent Friends thread, with all of its necessary updates, up within a couple of days.

In the meantime, what do you all think about a minor shift in methodology? Martianmister decided not to track Durkon*'s appearances in comics where he didn't speak (or appear inside Durkon's head), as well as (IIRC) before he was freed from thralldom, but I've always felt that that seemed a bit arbitrary and it never made much sense to me. I'd like to change it, especially since we now have Word of Giant confirmation that Durkon* did, in fact, exist in Durkon's body from the moment he was reanimated. That said - although I don't think the rules of curatorship require me to have people vote on decisions like this - what does everyone else think? It would seem to be in poor form to start off the new thread by making a unilateral decision that went against the general consensus.

On another note, any tips on how to replace all those defunct smilies? I haven't looked into that yet, and I'm guessing it will be by far the most time-consuming part of setting up the new thread.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    In the meantime, what do you all think about a minor shift in methodology?
    You have my backing for your proposed changes. Heck, you probably have my backing for any change in methodology as long as you make a note of it in the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I don't think the rules of curatorship require me to have people vote on decisions like this
    Sort of, they do, but also they don't? You can't make decisions unilaterally, but as long as there is consensus it's fine, so pretty much what you are doing
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Specifically, the curator cannot prevent certain topics from being discussed, prevent any given poster from participating, or make any sort of executive decision on what is or is not included in the opening post of a curated topic.
    (emphasis mine)

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-03-12 at 07:01 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

27. - Top - End - #597

I am very cool with counting vamps when they don't talk, but thrall!Durkula has been described as sort of a different character from Greg, so it feels weird to count him before he has any control or free will over the body he's controlling.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #598
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Congratulations, Emanick. I hope that everything‘s going okay with you; certainly totally understandable that real life takes priority over a thread.

I don’t really have a preference for counting Durkon*’s appearances. I understand the logic for the current counting, but I’m not strongly attached to it or anything and I think it’d be fine if you’d like to change things up especially if you have a solid rationale.

For the smilies, I think you’d have to get whoever made the original image to host them somewhere where they can be linked to from here, or you’d have to make and host new ones yourself. I don’t think either will be the easiest of tasks. (Personally I’d love new smilies, as my signature is currently very sad (even setting aside the fact that, as Jasdoif has pointed out, I need to restructure it to fit in the quote you referenced earlier)).

Peelee’s Lotsey

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ettin in the Playground

Congrats, Emanick, and I hope things turn for the better.

As for Vampire Durkon, I do think that counting the physical vampire body as an appearance for both the vampire spirit and the host simplifies many things (e.g. for characters like Malack or the Priestess of Hel with Long Hair we can remove their living version as they would always have the same number of appearances as their undead counterpart). However the recent answer from Rich about thralls has made me think martianmister was on the money. On the other hand, going down that route opens a whole other can of worms about which minor vampire was a thrall, when they were released from thralldom, etc.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

30. - Top - End - #600
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think there is no strong reason to complicate the tracking of the appearances of vampires. We know that Durkon* sees himself as a vampire with Durkon's appearance, from the mental image he assumes inside of Durkon's head. Therefore, I think that the vampiric appearance of Durkon should Count as an appearance both of Durkon (it's his body, only with an interesting alteration) and Durkon* (it's at least a representation of what he looks like). With this, it does not matter whether Durkon* is a thrall or not, he still looks the same, therefore is at least a representation of what Durkon* looks like. ThrallDurkon is not a separate person, it is Durkon* dominated by Malack.

By extension, all the above apply to other vampires as well, and simplifies the counting: any appearance of a vampire counts as an appearance of the vampire and the host of the vampire, and we may disregard the counting of the host if we have not seen them Before becoming a vampire.

My two cents, or korvören (as it may be, in Swedish) ...
    There aren't really any exclusive or original ideas on TVTropes. That's kind of the point.
    - Nerd-o-rama.

Avatar by kpenguin, who is gratefully acknowledged!